Miami-Dade County, FL
Obituaries and Death Notices


Submitted by Kim T. unless otherwise noted

Wonder who it was: Miami, Fla., March 4 - A skull and various other bones of the human body were found in the stomach of a 12-foot shark killed here. [The Day Book. (Chicago, Ill.), March 04, 1915 - Sub. by K.T.]

Colonel W.R. ANNO
Colonel W.R. Anno, the original owner of the Carlisle Mercury and father of Mr. James Anno, formerly of Orangeburg, died recently at Miami, Fla.  [Daily Public Ledger (Maysville, Ky.), March 17, 1904]

Esther Elizabeth Armington, the infant daughter of Mrs. Harriett T. Armington and the late J. H. Armington, of Providence, R. I., died Sunday morning in a local sanitarium. Mrs. Arminton and her daughter were spending the winter the houseboat Alice, moored in the Miami river. Funeral services will be conducted in the chapel of the Philbrick Funeral home Tuesday morning at 10:30. The body will be committed to a vault in the Woodlawn Park cemetery until Spring, when it will be sent to Providence for burial. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – February 11, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]

Dan Armistead, son of Capt. James Armistead of St. Petersburg died yesterday morning about 3 o'clock at the home of his sister.  Mrs. Young Dial in this city.  He was about 22 years of age and had been ill for some time with consumption.  The funeral services were conducted by Rev. F.G. Railey and the body was buried in Oak Hill cemetery.  Captain Armistead, the young man's fahter was here. [The Daily Miami Metropolis (January 1, 1904)]

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Bachus of Coconut Grove died Friday morning at a local sanitarium. Funeral services were conducted Saturday morning at 10 o’clock in the chapel of the King Undertaking co. Burial was made in the Woodlawn Park cemetery. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – March 1, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]

Gen. John Greene BALANCE
PEORIA. Ill., March 16. - Among the many peculiar provisions of the will of the late Gen. John Greene Balance, who died at Miami, Fla., about a month ago, was one giving his body to the Peoria Medical society for dissection. Today the medical society declined to accept the tender, and the body will be interred.  [Los Angeles Herald, (Los Angeles [Calif.]) March 17, 1910]

John J. Barnes, 68, retired railroad man, died at his residence here Saturday morning. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Etta Barnes. Funeral arrangements will be announced later by the J. J. Skillman Undertaking Co. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – March 1, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]


Miami Beach, Fla - Four laborers stood in a sewer ditch yesterday, waiting for a 28 ton mixer truck to start pouring 7 cubic yards of cement for them to spread. Suddenly five feet of roadway crumpled beneath the backing truck's wheels. the ponderous mass up-ended. There were screams - cut short by 32 tons of metal and concrete that crushed and entombed all four of the workers. Sam Carlton, 20, M.C. Porch, 25, and John Ports, 40, perished instantly, Alfred Barnes, 40, fought gamely for survival in the hardening cement as swarming medico rescue teams administered plasma and adrenalin into his exposed arm. Barnes died, still pinned down, three hours later. All the victims were Miami Negroes.
"You're gonna get me out, aren't you" Barnes kept asking while consciousness remained. "Sure we are," his foreman, Paul Adams, reassured him despite his knowledge that chances were slim.  Workers with pneumatic drills bore into the setting cement, but Barnes died still a prisoner under the truck. [Fort Pierce News-Tribune, 14 Dec 1956 - sub. by K.T.]

Funeral services for Thomas R. Beavers, who died Saturday at Miami, Fla., will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock at St. Paul's episcopal Church. [The Washington Herald (Washington, D.C.), March 01, 1916, Page 5]

Lois E BEINHORN (nee Salle)

Born Jul 21, 1927, Ironton, Ohio, passed away Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 after a brief illness. Beloved wife of 55 years to Irvine Beinhorn (deceased), loving mother to Sally Freedman and Jeffrey Geismar, Atlanta, and Luci Marlatt (deceased) and Douglas Marlatt, Atlanta, cherished sister to Annabelle Rosen of Bay Harbor and Alvin Salle of Lady Lake, Florida. Lois and Irvine Beinhorn ran a successful jewelry business in Miami for over forty years. Lois' talents as a highly successful party coordinator were well known throughout South Florida. She was a member of Temple Israel for over 50 years. Her poise, kindness, generosity and love were known to all who met her. A dynamic woman of impeccable grace and standards, Lois will be greatly missed. Funeral services will be held at Temple Israel of Greater Miami 137 N.E. 19th Street Sunday, Aug. 8th at 11am.. [The Miami Herald - August 6, 2004 - Sub. by Ida Maack Recu]
LOIS BEINHORN, 77 -- Lois Beinhorn, a prominent events coordinator from Bay Harbor Islands, died Thursday of lung cancer while at Mt. Sinai Medical Center. She was 77 years old. [San Mateo County Times; August 9, 2004]

Charles W. BOXWELL
Winchester, Va., May 1 - Charles William Boxwell, 32 years old, who was taken ill with hemorrhages in Miami, Fla., several months ago, died at the home of his father, Charles H. Boxwell here.  He leaves his parents, one brother and three sisters.  He was a member of the Elks. [The Times Dispatch, Richmond, Va.) May 02, 1911, Page 2]

Mrs. J.H. Bryan, 73, said to be the only woman in the country who had two sons to serve in the United States senate, died at Miami, Fla., after a brief illness. [Chicago Eagle. (Chicago, Ill.), January 14, 1922, Page 3]

Wm. M. Burdine, a prominent citizen of Miami, died Wednesday last. [Fort Pierce news (Fort Pierce, Fla.), February 10, 1911]

Mr. and Mrs. James A. Butler of New Rochelle, N.Y., were notified yesterday that their son, Second Lieut. Thomas Butler of the Marine Flying Corps, Fourth Division, was injured in an airplane accident Wednesday at Miami, Fla., and died late at night.  Lieut. Butler was 22 years old.  His father is a policeman in Pelham Manor.  He was an iron worker in New York city and had served a full enlistment as a seaman in the First Battallion of the Naval Militia.  On August 14 he married Miss Nan Stonberg of New Rochelle, who went with her mother to Jacksonville.  His wife still is in Jacksonville, the guest of Capt. and Mrs. Gardiner.  The body will be taken to New Rochelle for burial. [The sun.(New York [N.Y.]), August 23, 1918, Page 12]

Sarah E. Cooksey CHAMNESS
Funeral for Aged County Resident Will be Conducted Here on Friday
Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Cooksey Chamness aged resident of Williamson County passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nelia Simmons in Miami, Florida, Sunday Noon April 26, 1926 following an extended illness. The deceased was born in Smith County, Tennessee on April 28, 1843 and at the time of her death was 82 years, 11 months and 28 days of age. She was the daughter of Ephriam J. and Elizabeth (Phillips) Cooksey and was educated in the common schools of this county moving to Illinois with her parents in early childhood. In November 1862 she was united in marriage to John Chamness and to this union fifteen children were born, five survive their mother, namely Mrs. Allen Julia Suratt of Chamness, Mrs. Joel (Lydia) Norris of Marion, Mrs. A.J. (Minnie) Starrick of Marion, E.M. Chamness of Miami, Florida and Mrs. Nelia Simmons of Miami. Her husband preceded her in death. She is also survived by two brothers, John A. Cooksey of Marion who is 82 years old and Samuel M. cooksey of Carterville Route Four who is 70 years old. Two brothers, William Cooksey and Ephriam Cooksey and three sisters, Mary J. Hudgens, Martha Chamness and Delia Hudgens preceded her in death. The body will arrive in Carbondale Thursday morning at 4:30 a.m. and will be met in Carbondale by the hearse from the E.T. Hudgens Funeral Home here. The body will be taken to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joel Norris at 306 South Carbon Street where it will remain in state until the funeral services which will be conducted Friday at 10 o'clock at the Crab Orchard Cemetery. [Marion Daily Republican, Apr 27, 1926 - Submitted by FoFG]

According to a telegram received yesterday by M. B. Macfarlane, of this city, from Judge J. M. Cheney of Orlando, Henry S. Chubb, chairman of the Republican State Central committee for many years, died yesterday at his home at Princeton, near Miami. For the last several years Mr. Chubb had been making his home on his orange grove at Princeton, following his retirement in 1913 from the office of registrar In the government land office in Gainesville. The funeral will be held in Winter Park, Mr. Chubb's home for many years, some time Tuesday, the hour not yet having been set, and the services will be in charge of the Odd Fellows. Many Tampans are expected to attend. Mr. Chubb was one of the most widely known Floridians and numbered his friends by the hundred. He leaves several children, all of whom are married with the exception of one daughter, who resided with him at Princeton. He has a married son living in Winter Park. Mr. Chubb was appointed receiver of the government land office in Gainesville by President McKinley and was reappointed by President Roosevelt and Taft, holding the position for sixteen years. He became chairman of the Republican State Central committee in 1899. - Tampa Tribune [The Lakeland evening telegram. (Lakeland, Fla.), 08 Jan. 1918]

Frank CLARK, Jr.
Mr. Frank Clark, Jr., of Miami, Fla., died last night at 11 o'clock at the home of her aunt, Miss Annie Hardin, on Wylie street. [Yorkville Enquirer] (Yorkville, S.C.), September 19, 1922]

Hattie CLARK

Mrs. Hattie Clark of Miami passed Away at Home of Col. Clark
Mrs. Hattie Clark, wife of James Clark of Miami, died at the home of Hon. Frank Clark, her brother-in-law, at 6 o'clock Friday morning of Bright's disease, after an illness of only a few days.  The death was sudden, and was all the more sad because of the fact that deceased had left her home the day before Christmas, anticipating a pleasant visit to her relatives here.  She arrived here on Christmas day, and about the 27th was affected with the disease from which she died.
Deceased was a native of Tennessee, and was born 48 years ago.  She was married to Mr. Clark in Ardmore, I.T., six years ago, and in September 1904, they came to Florida, locating in Miami where Mr. Clark has since held a responsible position with the Florida East coast Railway.
Deceased was a devout member of the Baptist church, and has been for many years an active worker in the cause of Christianity.  The funeral will be held from the First Baptist church in this city Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. S.B. Rogers officiating.  The interment will be in Evergreen cemetery, and friends of the family of Hon. Frank Clark and others are invited.
Mr. James Clark, husband of the deceased, was with her when she died, having been summoned from Miami on Saturday.  He is still in the city, and will remain here indefinitely.  Mr. Clark is well known throughout the State, having resided at Ocala prior to moving to Indian Territory.  He was deputy U.S. marshal under U.S. marshal James McKay, during the last Cleveland administration. Friends of the bereaved husband and relatives extend sympathy in their hour of distress.  [Gainesville daily sun (Gainesville, Fla.), January 05, 1907, Page 3]

Broker Found Dead
Mami, Fla., Feb. 4 - Ben Cohen, 73, a Des Moines, Iowa broker, who was spending the winter here, was found dead in bed in a Miami Beach hotel this morning.  The body will be shipped to Des Moines. [Bisbee Daily Review. (Bisbee, Ariz.), 05 Feb. 1922]

Winter Visitor Dies in Miami Accident
Miami, Jan. 1. - Mrs. Jane S. Cranston, 54, prominent Cleveland woman, was fatally injured late yesterday afternoon when struck by an automobile driven by Cyril L. Ablett, 257 N.E. Sixteenth street, at the intersection of N.E    Second avenue and Seventh street.  Mrs. Cranston was rushed to the Jackson Memorial hospital in a private automobile, where she died 10 minutes later. Death was caused by a fractured skull.  Mrs. Cranston had left the Howington Apartments about 4:30 o'clock and she was in the middle of the street waiting to board an approaching street car.  Mr. Ablett said that he had turned north into Second avenue from Seventh street when he struck Mrs. Cranston, who, he said, became confused and stepped into the path of his automobile.  Traffic was heavy at the corner at the time of the accident.  Mr. Ablett was taken into custody by the police and was held in the city jail last night without bond.  He will be turned over to the county authorities today and will be held until an inquest has been conducted.  (Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale News, 01 Jan 1925, p4.  Transcribed by HEH)

Browning K. CROWELL
Funeral services for Browning K. Crowell, former executive of local marine companies, who died Friday evening In Port Arthur, Tex., will be held at 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon at the Levy funeral home, then to Sacred Heart Church. Rev. M. S Chatalgnon will officiate and Interment will be in Calvary Cemetery. For many years before, moving to Miami. Fla., in 1920, Mr. Crowell was prominent in the island maritime circles and at the time of his departure was treasurer of the Bowser Southern Dredging Company and assistant secretary-treasurer of the Texas & Gulf Steamship Company.
Pallbearers will be Steve McCarthy, J. R. Guyton, J. J. Kane, Fred K. Hunter, William J. Deasy and Fred W. Chase Sr.
He is survived by his wife Sara M. Crowell; one son, Edward B. Crowell of Greenwich, Conn., and two daughters, Mrs. Clara May McManus of Montgomery. Ala., and Mrs. Alecia E. McCarthy of New Haven. Conn., and a sister-in-law, Mrs. W. A. Guyton of Galveston.  [The Galveston Daily News, Monday May 7, 1934]

Word received here (Galveston, TX) yesterday told of the death of Mrs. Sarah M. Crowell, about 75, former resident of Galveston, Monday night in Miami, Fla. Where she had resided for the past 15 years. Mrs. Crowell was the wife of the late B.K. Crowell, who was with the Clark Dredging Co., A daughter of the late John J. Morrison and a sister of the late Mrs. W. A. Guyton, all of Galveston. Surviving are two daughters Mrs. George McManus of Montgomery Ala. and Mrs. John L. McCarthy of Miami; one son Edward E. Crowell of Detroit; several grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Funeral services were to be held in Miami. [The Galveston News, pg 7, Oct 11 1944 - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

William Deering is Dead - Veteran Harvester Manufacturer Expires at Miami, Fla.
Chicago, Dec __ - William Deering, the harvester manufacturer, died at Miami, Fla., his winter home, according to a message received here by associates. [The Wibaux pioneer (Wibaux, Mont.), December 26, 1913]

Funeral of Walter ENGLISH
Spotsylvania, Va. May 1 - The remains of Walter English, a citizen of this county, who was killed by coming in contact with a live electrical wire while engaged at work as lineman in Columbia, S.C., a few days ago, were brought here and interred yesterday in the cemetery on Urick's farm. [The Times Dispatch, Richmond, Va.) May 02, 1911, Page 2]

John Thomas Felton Dies This Morning
John Thomas Felton, 66 years old , died at his residence ???? Elgin Street 11:30 o'clock ? morning. Funeral services will be held 4 o'clock tomorrow afternoon from the residence to the Congregational church, Rev. E.R. Evan officiating. Pritchard's Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.
Mr. Felton is survived by his widow, Mrs. Margaret Felton, one daughter, Mrs. John Borden, of Miami, who has been with him during the latter days of his illness; two brothers, Joseph and Benjamin; one sister, Mrs. Hamilton Pilcher, of Tampa, and two grandchildren. The deceased was a member of Improved Order Real Men who will attend the funeral service in a body. [The Key West Citizen, 30 Sep 1932 - sub. by K.T.]

R. S. Flanagan, one of the best known citizens of Miami, died at his home, the Fort Dallas hotel, last Friday morning of appendicitis.  The funeral occurred Monday afternoon. [The St. Lucie County tribune (Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Fla.), October 11, 1907, Page 5]

Patrick Henry FLATTERY, Sr.
Patrick Henry Flattery, Sr., 61, died Thursday morning at 11 o’clock at his home in Little River. He was engaged there in the plumbing business and came to Florida four years ago. He was born in Saracuse, N.Y., Jan. 3, 1863.
He leaves his widow, and three sons, Patrick H. Henry, Jr., T. H. and Joe Henry of Little River, and two daughters, Mrs. Earl Wilson of Youngtown, O., and Miss Emma Henry of Little River. Funeral arrangements are pending the arrival of his daughter, Mrs. Williams, and the body is being prepared for burial at the undertaking establishment of the King Undertaking Co. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – January 4, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]

Goldsberry, Frank of Hialeah, Fla., loving husband of Emma Goldsberry, nee Trensch. Funeral Saturday, 1 p.m., from Blake-Lamb Chapel, 712 W. 31st street. Entombment Evergreen cemetery. 735-4242. [Source: "Chicago Tribune," (Chicago, IL.), 24 Feb. 1967]

Death Relieved Goodwin's Pain Man
Injured by Fall in Auto at Miami Garage, Monday, Died Yesterday Morning
Body Goes To Pickens S.C. For Interment
Emmet Goodwin, the man fatally injured in an automobile accident Monday afternoon, has since I died from the effects of injuries sustained at the time, breathing his last at eight o'clock yesterday morning.
The last hours spent on earth, by the injured man, were filled with suffering, and death came as a blessing to relieve him of his agony. All that could be done to save the stricken man from a premature death, had been, but as his spine had been broken and there were internal injuries, there was no hope. All that could be expected under the circumstances, was to allay the pain until the end came, and his suffering ceased.
The remains will be shipped to Pickens, S. C, where the interment will take place. Relative of Mrs. Goodwin will arrive to accompany her and the children to their old home in South Carolina, where they will go with the body of the husband and father, and see the last on earth of their loved one.
"Miami Herald Record" , 10 Apr 1912 - BZ - Sub. by a FoFG]

General Gordon Dead
Atlanta, Ga., Jan 9 -- Lieutenant General John Brown Gordon died at his winter home near Miami, Fla., at 10:05 tonight. His fatal illness, which overtook him last Wednesday, was congestion of the stomach and liver, following an acute attack of indigestion, to which he was subject. [Palestine Daily Herald. (Palestine, Tex.), January 11, 1904 - sub. by K.T.]

Gen. John B. Gordon, in recent years the most noted of all living Confederates, died at Miami, Fla., at 10 o'clock Saturday night, 9th. He was 72 years old, and had served as Governor and United States Senator from Georgia.  From the close of the war General Gordon put forth every effort to bring about harmonious relations between the North and South. He never spoke a bitter word against the North. He was commander-in-chief of the Confederate Veterans' organization for many years, and whenever he presided at meetings of the organization he was greeted with great enthusiasm. [The Progressive Farmer (Winston, N.C.), January 12, 1904, Page 16]

Nathan L. GRAND
Streator, Ill., July 18 - Nathan L. Grand, 30, of Miami, Fla., dropped dead while eating breakfast in a restaurant here today. [The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram. (Richmond, Ind.), 18 July 1914]

George Francis GRIFFIN
Do you know that Chicago's smart set are bidding fabulous prices against one another to secure posession of the old home of George Francis Griffin. Not that they want the house for it is out of date. But - Report has it that $100,000 worth of "pedigreed" liquor is stored in the cellar. The stock cannot be moved under the law and must go with the sale of the house. Griffin dropped dead last month in Miami, Fla.  The next day his wife married again and is living in California. She wants to sell the old home. Griffin was worth $9,000,000. When he saw the United States was going dry he is said to have prepared for the future. [Cottonwood Chronicle. (Cottonwood, Idaho), 25 June 1920]

WILLIAM GUETHLE, died in Miami, FL on Jan 7, 1920, age 67y, 4m.  He was born Sept 1852 in Germany.  He is survived by his wife Josephine.  He had worked as a butcher.  Burial was Jan 10, 1920 in Chaffee.  [-- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939]

The funeral of Geo. W. Hawkes, who died Saturday in Coconut Grove will be conducted at 2:30 this afternoon by Rev. Milton Padgett in the Church of God. The internment will be in Woodlawn Park cemetery. Deceased, who was 60 years of age, is survived by his mother and two brothers, of Meymouth, Mass. One brother, F. B. Hawkes, will arrive to attend the funeral services. ["Miami Herald Record" – 21 Mar. 1916 - MZ - sub. by a FoFG]

Erastus B. HUNTLEY
Lyme - Erastus B. Huntley while on the way to Miami, Fla., died suddenly at Wilmington, N.C.  He is survived by his wife, two sons, William of Meriden and Frank of this place, and a daughter, Mrs. L.W. Reynolds. [Norwich Bulletin (Norwich, Conn.), October 21, 1920]

Herman M. KROGER
Herman [Hyman M], 80, of North Miami Beach, FL died December 4, 1994. Menorah Gardens and Funeral Chapel, NMB. [The South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale), page 6B, Dec. 5, 6, 1994 -- Submitters Name: Ida Maack Recu]

Mrs. T. G. LAMB
Body of Woman Found Locked in Automobile Identified By Police
Miami, Fla., June 26 —Police today identified the body of a woman found locked in an automobile here yesterday as that of Mrs. T. G. Lamb, 56, of Tuscaloosa, Ala. The body, shot through the heart, was found in an expensive coupe in the rear of a vacant estate on fashionable Brickell avenue by a caretaker. Police found a pistol and a handbag on the seat, the latter containing $40 in cash, and a brief note addressed to "George" which intimated intention of suicide because of unrequieted love. George Shackleford, filling station employee, admitted to police that he was the "George" mentioned in the note and declared he had known the woman a short time. He said he had refused to see her after he learned she was suffering from an incurable, malady. Shackleford was released. The condition of the body indicated that the woman had been locked tight in the automobile for several days. She had been missing from a lodging house here since Thursday.  ["Augusta Chronicle" , 29 June 1926 - Sub. by Barb Ziegenmeyer]

Julia M. LOVE
Mrs. Julia M. Love, 73, widow of John W. Love, a wealthy cigar manufacturer, died Wednesday in her winter home, Miami, Fla.  She was born in Philadelphia, but had spent most of her life in this city, living for several years at the Great Northern Hotel.  She was a member of the Eclectic and Athene clubs.  Mrs. love is survived by two daughters, Mrs. John Bain, jr., and Mrs. margaret m. Seymour, both of this city.  The funeral will be held tomorrow from the Campbell Funeral Church. [The Sun. (New York, N.Y.), 20 April 1919]

After a long and lingering illness with cancer of the liver, J.P. March, assistant general passenger agent of the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis railway, with headquarters in Nashville, Tenn., died in Miami Monday.  [The St. Lucie County tribune (Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Fla.), December 21, 1906, Page 8]

The remains of John B. Maxon will arrive here this evening from Miami, Fla., where Mr. Maxon died Friday after an extended illness. The funeral service will be held tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Ellsworth, 131 East Fifth street, conducted by Mr. Frank E. Day of the First Methodist Episcopal church. Interment will be made in the Ottumwa cemetery.  [Ottumwa Semi-Weekly Courier (Ottumwa, Iowa), October 16, 1917]

S.J. Maurer Services for S.J. (Sam) Maurer, 86, of Miami, Fla., formerly of Lima, (Ohio) will be Wednesday at Ortells Funeral Home, Miami. Born in Attica, (OH) Aug. 27, 1883, he was married to Linda Lubach, who died in 1966. He was a Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Engineer, retiring in 1949 and moving to Florida. Survivors include a son, Erwin C. of 2220 Odema Dr., a daughter , Mrs. Erma Stevens of Miami; five grand-children and 18 great-grand-children." [The Lima News: Feb 16, 1970 - Submitted by Tina Hursh]

Mrs. S.J. (Linda) Maurer, 81, former Lima resident, died at 2:15 Wednesday in Miami, Fla., whre she had lived the past 15 years. Mrs. Maurer is survived by Mrs. Erma Stevens of Miami, her husband; a son Erwin C. of 2220 Odema Dr.; a daughter, Fla; five grandchildren, and 16 great-grandchildren. Services and burial will be in Miami.
[The Lima News, Oct 24, 1965 - Submitted by Tina Hursh]

Jonathan Houston MAY
Jonathan Houston May, son of Capt. R. C. May, died at Miami Tuesday morning, age about 38. He was brought to Rockledge in 1873 where his parents resided for a number of years. He is survived by his father, two sisters, Miss Willie L. May, of New Orleans, and Mrs. F. W. Doug Ian, of Miami.  [The Florida Star.(Titusville, Fla.) October 29, 1909]

Herman McArthur, Clevelend, O., capitalist, died in a sanitarium here Thursday. The body is being prepared for burial at the undertaking establishment of Skillman-Spruell. Burial arrangements are pending the arrival of a daughter from Cleveland. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – January 4, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]
The body of Herman McArthur, who died Thursday in a Miami sanitarium, will be sent to Cleveland, O., Saturday, accompanied by his daughter. Skillman-Spruell, undertakers, are in charge. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – January 5, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]

Pioneer Miami Resident Died
M. J. McDonald First Chief of Fire Department Succumbs After a Long Illness
Was an Old Settler here.
M. J. McDonald, a pioneer resident of Miami died at 5 a. m. yesterday at his home in Riverside after an illness with Bright's disease of some two years' standing. He is survived by his wife and daughter, Mrs. Theo. W. Cannon, and three small grandchildren.
Mr. McDonald came to Miami from Palm Beach twenty-two years ago, and, in the early days, took a prominent part in various volunteer organizations such as fire department and baseball clubs. He was at one time head of the fire department and always played a prominent part in outdoor athletics.
At the time of his death Mr. McDonald was 56 years old. He had been failing fast for the past two years and his death was no surprise to friends and relatives. He was a native of Connecticut.
Funeral services will be held at the Church of the Holy Name, Tuesday at 3 p. m., as a brother of Mrs. McDonald, at Crescent City, will come to be, with her and attend the ceremony. No service will be held at the family residence, 931 Fourteenth street.
Mr. McDonald was one of the earliest settlers of this city, coming before the erection of the Royal Palm hotel, and in fact helping in the construction of that building. He was a plumber by trade and for many years operated as a contractor.
One of the most valuable properties in the downtown section of Miami was owned by Mr. McDonald for many years and was sold only a few years ago. was the northwest corner of Tenth street and Avenue C, which is said to have sold for forty thousand dollars. Mr. McDonald lived there with his family until, like other homes in that neighborhood his residence gave way to advancing business. ["Miami Herald Record" , 15 Apr 1919 - BZ - Sub. by a FoFG]

George W. McKEE
Farmer Found Dead
Miami, Fla., November 28 - George W. McKee, a truck farmer, lately from the north,was found dead in a pool of blood in an abandoned fruit-packing house near Kendall, 12 miles south of here.  The condition of the body indicated it had lain where it was found for at least two days.  [Evening Star.(Washington, D.C.), 28 Nov. 1921]

Mr. W.N. McMurray, who for the past four or five years has been in the employ of the Florida East Coast Railway Company in various departments, died at the residence of Mr. L.B. Gould yesterday.  The body was embalmed by Edwin Nelson and sent to Lancaster, S.C. for interment.  Mr. McMurray was 30 years of age. [The Daily Miami Metropolis (January 1, 1904)]

Judge William I. Metcalfe, who was the first judge of the Dade county criminal court of record and a pioneer resident of Dade and Palm Beach counties, died yesterday morning at his home at West Palm Beach, according to word received here yesterday. Mr. Metcalfe had been a resident of West Palm Beach for many years and occupied a prominent position in the bar of the two counties.
Judge Metcalfe served as judge of the criminal court for 18 months, starting with September, 1907. Judge H. Pierre Branning, now judge of the local circuit court, was his prosecuting attorney. At that time, Dade county included what is now Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.
He leaves his wife, one daughter, Mrs. May Chambers, and two grandsons, Lacey Metcalfe, former deputy United States marshal here, and Paul Metcalfe, all of West Palm Beach. Funeral services will be conducted at 3 p.m. today in the residence at West Palm Beach. It is expected that a large number of attorneys and friends from this city will go from Miami to attend the services. ["M iami Herald Record, 8 Dec. 1921 - MZ - Sub. by a FoFG]

Mrs. Norman MIDDLETON, Jr.
Middleton Rites - Valparaiso residents, Mr. and Mrs. N.G. Middleton, have been called to Miami because of the death of their daughter-in-law, Mrs. Norman Middleton Jr., age 23.  The funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Michaels Catholic Church in Miami. (Fort Walton, The Playground Daily News, 01 Jul 1966, p14.  Transcribed by HEH)

Belle NEIL
Last rites are said for Mrs. Belle Neil
Funeral services over the body of Mrs. Belle Fennell Neil, who died at her home here on Monday night, were conducted Tuesday afternoon at the Neil home and also at the Naranja Cemetery where interment was made by the W.H. Combs Undertaking Company. The greater part of the service was held at the pavilion in the cemetery with Dr. W.J. Carter in charge and the Rev. J.G. Stradler assisting.
Impressive music was provided by the Naranja Community Choir.
Mrs. Neil's death is being mourned by many who knew her and loved her previous to her illness, which took a serious aspect a year ago. Because of troubles incident to her age and general state of health, Dr. Carter was appointed as her guardian at that time. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Virginia Connett, wife of A.F. Connett, who lives four miles west of Homestead, and by two grand children, a sister, Mrs. J. Graham, and several relatives in Alabama.
Mrs. Connett was Mrs. Neil's only child, Mrs. Neil's sister, Mrs. Graham, was her constant companion and nurse.
Mrs. Neil was born near Huntsville, Alabama, in 1852. She was married to George William Neil, who has been dead for 30 years. At an early age she united with the South Methodist Church. [The Homestead Leader, June 28, 1923 - sub. by K.T.]

Michael W. O'BOYLE
Rich Coal Man Dead
Miami, Fla, January 10 - Michael W. O'Boyle, 70, wealthy coal operator of Scranton, PA, died at his apartment at Miami Beach.  His body will be sent to Wilkes-Barre, PA, this evening.  His son, John F. O'Boyle, will accompany the body. [Evening Star.(Washington, D.C.), 10 Jan. 1924]

MRS. PALINQUIST'S DEATH - Died in Miami and Was Brought Here For Interment Tuesday.
The remains of Mrs. Susan Palinquist, who died in Miami on October 28, arrived in the city Monday afternoon, and were taken  in charge by Undertaker Robert McClellen. There was no funeral service here, the services having been held in Miami. Deceased was a native of Alabama, and was an elderly lady. She had been for many years a resident of Florida, and for the past six years had been with her daughter, Mrs. Geo. B. Cellon of Miami. She had been a sufferer from rheumatism for several years, which made her a helpless invalid. Deceased has surviving her a son, Frank Palinquist of Pensacola, and Mrs. Geo. B. Cellon of Miami.
The remains were brought to Gainesville and interred in Evergreen cemetery where they will rest until the great trumpet sounds. They were accompanied by the daughter and Mr. Cellon, who were very much devoted to deceased. Robert McClellan, the undertaker, met the remains at the train and conducted the arrangements.  [Gainesville Daily Sun. (Gainesville, Fla.), October 31, 1906, Page 8]

Died at Miami -- Jessie, the sweet little 18 months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.L. Patterson, died last night at 9:20 o'clock at the home of her parents in Miami after an illness of only two or three days.  Mrs. Patterson's parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Barco, received a telegram this morning containing the sad news.  The little one was buried at Miami today.  Mrs. Patterson's many Ocala friends sympathize deeply with her in the loss of her baby. [The Ocala evening star (Ocala, Fla.), October 10, 1903]

Mr. S. L. Patterson, of Miami, died in New York City at one o'clock Tuesday morning in one of the large hospitals of that city. Mr. Patterson had been sick for two months and about three weeks ago, accompanied by his wife, went to New York to consult a specialist and have an operation performed.   For a few days after the operation it was thought that he would recover but he then took a change for the worst. The first of last week his brother-in-law, Dr. J. M. Jackson, jr., of Miami, was telegraphed for and left immediately for New York. After reaching the bedside of Mr. Patterson he rallied and for several days was better and it was confidently hoped that he would get well. On Friday he suffered a relapse and it was then known that his death was only a matter of days. The remains will be sent to Miami and the funeral will take place In that city Friday afternoon. Mr. Patterson was married in Ocala five years ago last January to Miss Jessie Barco, the second daughter of Hon. and Mrs. J. M. Barco, of this city. He was only thirty-three years of age and was one of the most popular and influential citizens of Miami. Besides being a prominent lawyer he was largely interested in the real estate and abstract business. Besides his wife he is survived by one little girl, Annie Leter, who is two years old. Mr. and Mrs. Patterson having lost another little daughter about two years ago. This paper extends its deep sympathy to the bereaved family and other relatives. [The Ocala banner.(Ocala, Marion County, Fla.), August 24, 1906]

Katherine L. PAUST
Mrs. Katherine L. Paust, 27, died at her home in Allapattah Saturday at noon. She came to Miami about a year ago from Richmond, Ind. She is survived by her widower, Harry A. Paust; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. B. Williams; one son, Robert A. Paust; one sister, Dorothy Williams, and one brother, Frank A. Williams. The body will be sent to Richmond for interment and the funeral arrangements will be announced later by the W. H. Combs Co. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – March 1, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]

Mrs. Claude PEARCE
Mrs. Claude Pearce died at her home here last Sunday evening of influenza. The funeral was held at 10 a.m. Monday, Rev. G. T. Bennett officiating. [Miami Herald Record, 2 Dec. 1918; Sub by MZ]


We notice by the Miami Metropolis that Mr. "Sot" Peters, of Litt le River, near Miami, died Friday from a gathering in his head. The doctor had lanced the swelling and he was feeling greatly relieved and nothing serious was anticipated, but shortly after he grew worse and died. Mr. Peters was a former citizen of Lady Lake, where he resided for twenty or more years, but after the freeze, having lost years of labor represented in his orange grove, he gathered up what little he had left and took the overland route for the Miami section, embarked with his enterprising boys in the tomato business and made their growing a phenomenal success and during the intervening years had accumulated a competency, being known, in connection with his sons, as the largest tomato grower on the east coast. His many friends in the southern part of this county and of Lake and Sumter counties will hear of Mr. Peters' death with regret. He was a man of remarkable natural ability and intelligence, very sociable and pleasant in his intercourse with his fellow-men and esteemed by all who knew him. He leaves a wife, daughter and four sons to mourn his death. [The Ocala Evening Star (Ocala, Fla.), November 11, 1902]

Dies at Miami, Fla.
F.R. Pond Succumbs to Attack of Bright's disease.
Mr. F.R. Pond, of Charleston, W. Va., died at Miami, Fla., Friday afternoon after suffering a short time with Bright's disease. Mr. Pond was well known about the city among business circles, having been interested in the Headley Drug company for the past two years. He leaves many friends here, L.E. Thatcher, a brother of Mrs. Pond leaves tonight for Richmond, Va., where he will meet Mrs. Pond with the deceased. Funeral arrangements will be announced later. [The Marion Daily Mirror. (Marion, Ohio), March 06, 1909 - Sub. by K.T.]

George F. POWELL and Bertie SNEED
Died at Miami
Miami, Fla., July 25 — Typhoid fever claimed two more victims yesterday — Second Lieutenant Bertie Sneed of the Times-Democrat, Now Orleans, eonpany A, First Louisiana, and Private George F. Powell of the Stone Fort Rifles company D, Second Texas. The latter enlisted from Garrison and his relatives live at Hamilton. His remains will be buried with military honor at revielle this morning. Lieutenant Sneed, previous to entering the service, was a well known reporter on the New Orleans paper from which his company takes its name, and but few in the profession were more deservedly popular. His remains will be shipped to New Orleans today, accompanied by his mother, who was with him when he died. [Shiner Gazette. (Shiner, Tex.), July 27, 1898]

Miami Man Is Killed by-Three Robbers in Holdup
MIAMI, March 12.—(A.P.)—Henry L. Powell, 54, a carpenter, was shot and killed today by one of three men who attempted to hold him up, John F, Robinson, 20, who was riding in an automobile with Powell, said the robbers swung onto the car as Powell stopped in front of Robinson's house. [13 Mar 1933, "Tampa Tribune" - BZ - Sub by FoFG]

Mrs. Ruth E. Preune, 23, wife of W. S. Preune, of 232 S. W. Second av. Died Thursday at her home. She leaves a daughter, 5, and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Keesee of the same address, and two brothers and three sisters. She came here with her family nine years ago from Lynchburg, Va. Funeral services will be conducted Friday afternoon at 3 o’clock in the chapel of the W. H. Combe Undertaking Co. Interment will be made in Woodlawn cemetery. Rev. Bonterse, pastor of the Stafford Memorial church, will officiate. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – January 4, 1 924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]

Arthur PUGH
Arthur Pugh, dentist, died Monday at Miami, where he practiced his profession. He was well known in Ocala, having lived many years in Anthony, and was a half-brother of Mr. B. R. Stripling. The remains were taken to the old home in Georgia, whither the family followed it. Peace to his ashes.  [The Ocala Evening Star (Ocala, Fla.), March 01, 1899]

Dr. Edwin W. PUGH
Dr. Edwin W. Pugh, president of the Dade county Medical Association and one of the leading physicians of Miami, died in that city last Friday after an illness of less than two days, the cause of death being tetanus. [The St. Lucie County Tribune (Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Fla.), April 23, 1909, Page 7]

H. S. Redmond, a prominent banker of New York and son-in-law of R. W. Parsons, vice president of the Florida East Coast Railway, died in Miami Friday afternoon. Mr. Redmond came to Miami early in the fall and chartered the houseboat Everglade, hoping that the open air life on the water would re store him to health, but the disease had so fastened itself upon him that the open air and the best medical attention failed to restore him to health. Mr. Redmond was a prominent yachtsman and banker in New York. [The St. Lucie County Tribune,(Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Fla.), March 04, 1910, Page 7]

Henry S. Redmond, millionaire clubman of New York, died at Miami, Fla.  [The Interior Journal.(Stanford, Ky.), March 01, 1910]

John ROBINSON Sr., is Dead
Miami, Fla - John F. Robinson, retired circus owner, died at his winter home here of chronic bronchitis.  He was 77 years old.  Mr. Robinson had been subject to bronchitis for a number of years.  [Rockingham Post-Dispatch. [volume] (Rockingham, N.C.), 05 May 1921]

Annabelle ROSEN (nee Salle)
ROSEN, ANNABELLE SALLE, 87, a longtime resident of Bay Harbor Islands, FL, died Monday, December 18, 2006, after a brief illness. Mrs. Rosen was a buyer for Lord & Taylor in Chevy Chase, Maryland. After moving to Miami, she worked at her sister and brother-in-law's Seybold Building jewelry store, Beinhorn Jewelers. Mrs. Rosen was an avid reader, loved traveling, the arts and politics. She was an active member of Temple Israel's sisterhood. Mrs. Rosen was predeceased by husband, Irving and daughter Deborah. Survivors include brother Alvin Salle (Lady Lake, FL); niece Sally Beinhorn Freedman (Atlanta, GA) and many loving nephews, nieces and cousins. Graveside services Thursday, December 21, 2006 11 AM at Mt. Sinai Cemetery, Miami. Arrangements by Blasberg Rubin Zilbert Memorial Chapels, 305-865-2353. [Miami Herald, The (FL) - December 21, 2006]

Jacqueline SEWELL
Little four-year-old Jacqueline Sewell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Sewell, of Miami, died on the beach Monday afternoon.  A few weeks ago Mrs. Sewell, with children, came up to visit her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Keller.  the child was taken ill last week with meningitis, and its father telegraphed for.  He arrived Sunday afternoon and the following day the child died.  Services were held at the episcopal church Tuesday and the body conveyed to Miami for interment.  Little Jacqueline was a very pretty child and a general favorite with all who knew her.  Mr. and  Mrs. Sewell have the deepest sysmpathy of their many Daytona friends in their sad bereavement.  All the business houses in Miami closed for the funeral and it is said that the procession was the largest ever in the city.  [The Gazette-News., July 12, 1902, (Daytona, Fla.)]

Franalona June SHEFFER
Mrs. Franalona June Sheffer, 87 years old, a resident of Coconut Grove, died yesterday afternoon in the home of her son, Rev. B. F. Sheffer, in Seminole avenue.
Mrs. Sheffer was a native of Kentucky, she was born in Hudson county where she was a member of the Methodist church. She leaves her son, Mr. Sheffer, and Mrs. H. W. Tenley of Ackerman, Miss., J. W. White, Ceruleau, Ky.; the Rev. J. H. Nicholson of Elizabethtown, Ky., presiding elder for that district; and Mr. Sheffer’s sons, Frank Jr., and Paul Sheffer of Miami and Powell and Herman Sheffer of Coconut Grove.
Funeral services will be conducted at 3:30 o’clock this afternoon in the Grace M. E. church at Coconut Grove by the Rev. R. A. Carnine, district superintendent of the Miami district. King Undertaking company have charge of the funeral arrangements and will ship the body to Tampa for burial. ["Miami Herald Record", 27 Dec. 1922 - MZ - Sub. by a FoFG]

Cyril M. (Red) Sherouse 72, of Miami on June 21, 1985 following a brief illiness. Came to Miami in 1937 from his native Ft. Myers,FL. He was employed in aircraft & home decorations industries & for many years was a Orange Bowl Scorekeeper. Survived by his loving wife of 48 years Mary Allen Sherouse, of Miami, daughter Carole Morris,of Orlando, & by his son Mark Allen Sherouse of Dallas,TX; two grandchildren and one brother Carolso M. Sherouse of CO. and many nieces and nephews.
A memorial service will held at the First Christian Church of North Dade 175 NW 128th St.
Son Of John Mark Sherouse and Pearl Lillian Smith Sherouse
Birth: 9 MAY 1913 in Ft. Myers Lee Co., FL
Death: FEB 1985 in Dade Co., FL
Burial: Miami Dade Co., FL
Married: Mary Ann ALLEN
[The Miami News on 22 June, 1985 - Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss]

Kenneth Bertrand SHEROUSE

Miami - Kenneth B. Sherouse, longtime Miami traffic bureau chief for The Associated Press, died Sunday of cancer following a brief illness. He was 72. Sherouse, who had worked for The AP (Newspapers) for 32 years retired in 1965 He was the son of L. M . Sherouse and Cornelia ( Nellie ) Smith . He was born in Reddick, Fla., and received his early technical training with the Naval reserve. Sherouse was raised in Fort Myers and attended local schools until he went on to receive special training as a Morse code operator.
His brother, C. L. Sherouse is still a Fort Myers resident as are two sisters, Mrs. Ila A. Jeffcoat and Mrs. Dorothy Obrecht.
After joining The AP as a Morse operator in 1929 in New Orleans, La ,Sherouse stayed with the organization until his retirement except for 3-1/2 years he served in the Army Air Corps where he became a lieutenant colonel. He was awarded the bronze star for ingenuity and technical skill in the installation of electrical equipment. He was the Army operator on duty who relayed first word of the dropping of the atom bomb over Hiroshima back to officials in Washington. Besides duty in Miami and New Orleans, Sherouse also worked in New York, Detroit and Columbus, S.C., He is survived by two sons, Kenneth Sherouse Jr. and Keith Sherouse and one daughter, Mrs. Edward Corlett Ill, all of Miami. Sherouse also leaves another brother, R. L. Sherouse of Franklin, N. C., and a sister, Miss Nellie Sherouse of Alexandria, La.
Note: Birth: 1 JAN 1902 in Reddick Marion Co., FL ---- Death: 17 MAR 1974 in Miami Dade Co., FL  [FORT MYERS NEWS-PRESS, March 18, 1974 - Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss]

July 22, 1920-September 9, 2007
Mary Allen Sherouse was born in Savannah, the daughter of Joseph and Portia Allen. She was raised in Frost proof and Ft. Myers, and in 1936 married Cyril Mark Sherouse. of Ft. Myers The couple moved to Miami, where they resided the next 47 years, were employed, and raised a family. Mary was employed at Eastern Airlines, McCrory's, and later at Miami Shores Realty, and attended First Christian Church. In 1985, Cyril passed away, and she moved to Pembroke Pines. Greatly beloved by her family and many friends, she is survived by her daughter Carole Sherouse Morris and grand-daughter Alexis Cristina Morris of Weston and by her son Mark Allen Sherouse of Missoula, MT and grand- daughters Rebecca Leigh Sherouse of San Francisco and Rachel aura Sherouse of Washington, DC. A memorial service will be held Saturday, September 15, 2PM, at Parkway Christian Church, 1200 S. Flamingo Road, Davie, FL, 954-476-0020. Arrangements with T.M. RALPH Funeral Home SAWGRASS/WESTON, 371 NW 136th Ave, Sunrise.   [The Miami Herald on 9/14/2007 - Contributed by Norita Shepherd Moss]

Lieut. Bertie SNEED

Lieut. Bertie Sneed, of Company A, First Louisiana Regiment, one of the best known and capable newspaper reporters in the South, formerly on the Times-Democrat, died at Miami, Fla., Sunday afternoon of typhoid-malarial fever.  Dispatches from Miami report that 16 per cent of the troops there are on the sick list, caused by impure water. [The True Democrat. (Bayou Sara [La.], July 30, 1898]

James Clinton SPENCER

Born at Albany , N.Y. , about 1829. Came to Wisconsin in 1861. Died at Miami , Fla. , February 2, 1905.
[Source: Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin at its 53rd Annual Meeting held November 9, 1905 (published 1906) Wisconsin Necrology, 1904-05; pages 130-142; by Mary Stuart Foster, Library Assistant; transcribed by FoFG]


Funeral services for A. W. Stanton, official of the Curtiss-Bright Ranch Co., who died early Saturday morning, will be held at the family residence in Hialeah Tuesday at 4 o’clock. Dr. R. N. Merrill of the White Temple will conduct the services and Glenn H. Curtiss, James H. Bright, J. J. Murphy, Lon Warner, H. R. Howell and Dr. C. F. Buckland will be the pallbearers. The body will be committed to a vault in the Woodlawn Park cemetery until Spring, when it will be sent North for interment. Arrangements are in charge of the King Undertaking Co. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – February 11, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]
Melville Ingalls SULLIVAN, Lieutenant Aviation Corps; killed by accident while flying at Miami, Florida, May 7, 1918.
Son of L. F. Sullivan, 1115 Grove Ave., Richmond (Richmond Times-Dispatch May 8, 1908).
[The Virginia magazine of history and biography, Volume 26 By Virginia Historical Society for the year ending December 31, 1918 - Sub. by K.T.]

Adam Vondresky, of Muscatine, Ia., died Thursday in a Miami sanitarium. He came to Miami a few weeks ago, and was living with his wife at N. E. Thirty-fifth terrace. Funeral arrangements will be announced later by the Skillman-Spruell Undertaking Co. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – January 4, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]


Mrs. Ella Voss, wife of O.H. Voss, for many years residents of Titusville, died at Miami Sunday night in her 56th year.  Mrs. Voss was noted for her kind heart and great helpfullness in every community in which she lived.  The remains passed through Fort Pierce Monday enroute to Enterprise, where interment was made in the old family lot.  [The St. Lucie County tribune.(Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Fla.) , August 26, 1910, Page 5]

Henry Wells, Prominent In City Affairs and Member of Wells, Richardson Co., Died To-day In Miami, Fla.
Burlington, Jan. 7. -- Henry Wells died at 3 o'clock this morning at his winter in Miami, Fla. He was born February 15, 1848, in Waterbury, the son of the late William W. Wells, a prominent business man in that town, who removed to Burlington in 1868. Mr. Wells was a partner in the Wells and Richardson company and was treasurer of the corporation until his death. He was prominent in the social, business and club life of the city and an active churchman. For many years he had been in poor health and spent his winters abroad or in Florida or Mexico. Mrs. Wells survives. Burial will be here. [The Barre Daily Times. (Barre, Vt.), 07 Jan. 1911]

Little River, Aug. 13. – Mr. Wilsey died at his home on Riverside Drive, August 12. He had been suffering for a long time and did not complain. ["Miami Herald Record", 14 Aug. 1918 - MZ - Sub. by a FoFG]

Alfred H. WILSON
Alfred H. Wilson, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert H. Wilson of 3016 N. W. First av., died in a private sanitarium here Friday morning. Funeral services will be held in the chapel of the W. L. Philbrick Funeral Home at 3 o’clock Saturday afternoon. Interment will be made in the Woodlawn Park cemetery. [Miami News – Metropolis – Miami, Florida – March 1, 1924 – Transcribed as written by D. Donlon]


John F. Wingo, 69, died Monday, July 16, at the Miami Hospital, Miami, Florida.
Mr. Wingo was born July 22, 1876, in Drakes Branch. He spent most of his life here at his home Iredell Plantation. He moved to Florida 16 years ago. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Grace Vaughan Wingo; one sister, Miss Louise Wingo; two brothers, W.H. Wingo, of Drakes Branch, and C.M. Wingo of Dilwynn. Burial will be held today, July 18, in Florida. [The Charlotte Gazette, Drakes Branch, VA, Thursday, July 18, 1946 Submitted by: Bea. Adams King]

Rudolph ZEPP

ST. MARYS - Rudolph Zepp, 78, was dead on arrival at 3 p.m. Friday at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Dade County, Fla. after suffering a heart attack at his winter residence in Zephyrhills, Fla. He retired in 1961 as an electrical engineer with Commonwealth Edison in Chicago. Survivors include his wife, the former Louise Walker; a daughter, Mrs. Joseph (Martha) Salzman of Ridgefield, Conn.; three grandchildren; and a sister, Frieda Wright of St. Marys. Services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Yoder-Long and Folk Funeral Home. Burial will be in Elmgrove Cemetery. Friends may call until 4 and from 7 to 9 today at the funeral home. [Lima (Ohio) News, Mar 17, 1980]


Copyright © Genealogy Trails