Monroe county, Florida, forms the S.. extremity of the peninsula, terminating at
Cape Sable. The Gulf of Mexico washes it on the S. W., and Lake Okechobee on the N. E. Its limits comprise numerous
islands of coral formation, named the Florida Keys, the most important of which is Key West, a naval station of
the United States. The surface of the main land is flat, and mostly occupied by marshes and everglades, or shallow
lakes. The orange and cocoa-palm are indigenous in this county, and a few sweet potatoes are cultivated. Salt of
good quality is made at Key West by solar evaporation. The county contained, in 1850, 4 churches, 85 pupils attending
public schools, and 73 attending other schools. Nearly the whole population of the county is contained in the city
of Key West, which is the seat of justice, and the largest town of Florida.
Pop., 2645, of whom 2214 were free, and 431, slaves.
[source: "A new and complete gazetteer of the United States..."
By Thomas Baldwin, J. Thomas, MD - 1854]