POLK COUNTY, FLORIDA
Church Records
POLK COUNTY, FLORIDA CHURCHES


WORK PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION
Professional and Service Division
The Florida Historical Records Survey
JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA

These records show the church denomination, pastor, year, and other information pertaining to the church. Records are from 1938-1940.


[Source: WPA Church Records, Florida Memory; Transcribed by Sheila Pitts Massie, Coordinator.]

 

Demonination Church Name Year Constituted Defunct or not. Ending Date Race/Ethnicity Location Remarks
National Baptist Convention of the United States of America Inc. Mount Bunyan Baptist Church 1887 - - African-American 1 mile west of Highway #17, in Homeland, Polk County. Costituted 1877 [sic]. Services in small building, ¼ mile southeast of present site, there first church, ¼ mile northwest of present site, until present structure, a white rectangular, woodenn building, with bell, erected and dedicated, 1935, first services, March, 1935. First settled pastor, G. W. McClendon, 1887-1890, Education unknown. Present pastor, J. E. Nixon, 1911, Homeland, Florida; common school education. "CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD", May 1936, 1 vol. Contains minutes of church conferences, a register of members, baptisms, exclusions, restorations, deceased, financial state, events, reports. Custody, Ellen Wright, Clerk, Homeland. "BOYD'S N.B. SUNDAY SCHOOL MINUTE, ROLL, AND RECORD BOOK", March, 1934, 3 vols. Showing organization, members, attendance, offerings, activities, board-meetings, elections, delegates, reports. B.Y.P.U. SECRETARY'S RECORD, July 1937, 1 vol. Showing organization, objectives, memberships, devotional services, (topics leaders), ??????, studies, business, finances, charities, delegates, reports.
National Baptist Convention of the United States of America Inc. Mount Gilboa Baptist Church Feb. 17, 1893 - - African-American 5th Ave. and Laurel Sts., Bartow, Polk County Constituted, Feb. 17, 1893. First services, 2 story building, 3 bocks [sic] west of present site, until 1896, then small frame structure, present site, moved to rear, and present church, a gray, rectangular, 2 story, with basement, concrete structure, with memorial window and electric console, erected, 1928-1928, first services, Oct, 1929, addition of pastorium, 1908. First settled pastor, Rev. A. Boone, 1892-1908. Common school education. Present pastor, A. L. Washington, Oct. 1934, 1195 Cedar St., Bartow, Florida; Florida Normal and Industrial College, St. Augustine, Florida; Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois, Divinity, Indianapolis, Indiana. (SECRETARY'S RECORD OF TRUSTEE BOARD) Feb. 1927-Jan. 1931; Feb 1933, 2 vols. Record of meetings of Board of Trustees, dates, transactions pertaining to church property, receipts, disbursements, custody, George Boykin, 1025 Wabash St., Bartown.
Mount Enon Primitive Baptist Church Mount Olive Primitive Baptist Church. 1881 - - White Bradley Junction Constituted 1881. Organized in log house about four miles southwest of Bradley Junction and used until 1903, when frame building was erected. This was used until 1913 when present Mission style, rectangular, white, frame building erected. First settled pastor, Elder E. Z. Hull, 1881-1887. Present pastor, Elder R. T. Pepper, 1938, Route #1, Wauchula. (CHURCH RECORDS), 1881, 3 vols. Showing articles of Faith, Decorum, Constitution, minutes of church conferences, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, offerings. Custody clerk, Mrs. Ida Hudson, Bradley Junction.
Southern Baptist Convention Mount Pisgah Baptist Church 1934 - - White R.F.D. 2, Ft. Meade, about 1½miles east of Highway #17, and 9 miles south of Ft. Meade. Affiliated with Southern Baptist Convention, Nashville, Tennessee; Florida Baptist State Convention, Jacksonville, Florida; Orange Blossom Baptist Association, Movable. No headquarters; Sunday School organized April 1, 1934; Church organized Sept. 1934; The organization of this church was the result of independent effort of local people. Services were first held in homes, just for about five or six Sundays betweent the first of the years 1934 and to time they organized, Sept, 1934, then they built a small church building just back of the present church, Nov-Dec 1934, and held services here until they moved into the present church, September 3, 1939. They organized a Sunday School April 1, 1934 and this has continued regularly to the present date. I was unable to get to the name of homes in which services were held and the exact dates; Present building erected July and August 1939, first service Sept. 3, 1939. A plain unpainted, wooden building, rectangular in form, with three entraces to the building, the main entrance in center front with double doors, and one door entrance on each side. First settled pastor, J. D. Best, Sept. 1934-Sept. 1935, Grammar School; Earliest known pastor, J. D. Best, Sept. 1934-Sept. 1935, Grammar School; Present pastor, Dow G. Durrance, Oct. 1935-, R. R. #2, Wauchula, Florida, Grammar School; Information obtained from the following: Miss Cliola Jordan, Church Clerk; E. S. Roberts, Church Treasurer; J. D. Best, former pastor; Rev. Dow G. Durrance, Pastor; Miss Mildred Crews, Secretary of B.T.U.; (MINUTE BOOK); There are no discontinued nor missing records. Contains minutes of the business meetings, calling of pastor, election of officers., 1 vol. is in the home of the Church Clerk, Miss Cliola Jordan, R. R. #1, Bowling Green, Florida. Condition is good.; "THE SIMPLEX CHURCH MEMBERSHIP REGISTER", Contains the membership roll showing how and when received, baptisms, deaths, and annual statistical table 1934-1938, showing additions and losses each year. No statistical table for 1939 is shown. 1 vol. is kept in the home of the Church Clerk, Miss Cliola Jordan, R. R. #1, Bowling Green, Florida. Record is in good condition.; (CHURCH TREASURER'S RECORD), Contains receipts and disbursements, showing from what source received and how disbursed. 1 vol, is in the home of the Church Treasurer, Mr. E. S. Roberts, R. R. #2, Ft. Meade, Florida, record is in good condition.; "SOUTHERN MAID SPIRAL THEME BOOK" (Building Fund Record) This record shows all donations received for the building of the church and an itemized statement of all expenses in connection with the building of the church. In the back of the book is the Sunday School Treasurer's report from October 1, 1938-August 5, 1939 and report of the Church Treasurer from October 1, 1938-August 5, 1939. 1 vol. is in the home of the Treasurer of the Building Fund, Mr. E. S. Roberts, R. R. #2, Ft. Meade, Florida. Record is in good condition. Their first effort to raise money for the building of the church was July 24, 1939, all money being donated for this purpose, and they conducted their first service in the church September 3, 1939.; (GENERAL SECRETARY'S REPORT OF SUNDAY SCHOOL), September 20, 1936, if kept, they are missing April 1, 1934-September 13, 1936. The General Secretary, Mr. E. S. Roberts, stated the missing records were not turned over to him when he became Secretary and he presumed they were lost if any were kept. Contains General Secretary's Reports of individual classes, showing number enrolled, absent, present, on time, brought bibles, contributing, prepared lessons, attending preaching, and amount of offering, and a summary of these reports. 1 file box, is located in the home of the General Secretary, Mr. E. S. Roberts, R. R. #2, Ft. Meade, Florida. Mr. Roberts was not sure, but thought perhaps they kept no such records earlier, the records are in good condition.; (SUNDAY SCHOOL TREASURER'S RECORD) Shows a record of all receipts and disbursements. April 1, 1934, 1 vol. is kept in the home of the Sunday School Treasurer, Mr. E. S. Roberts, R. R. #2, Ft. Meade, Florida. Record is in good condition.; "SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK for B.Y.P.U. OR B.A.U. EIGHT POINT RECORD SYSTEM" 1 vol, there are no discontinued records, but if records were kept they are missing from date they first organized, sometime in 1936 (unable to get month) to time they became inactive (unable to get exact date but sometime the latter part of 1936 or early part of 1937. Contains the membership roll of the senior class, this being the only class, the address of each member, age, birthdays, whether or not a member of any church and if so, the name of the church, weekly and quarterly reports, the name of officers, and list of honorary members. No collections and disbursements are shown. July 1939, 1 vol. is kept in the home of the Secretary, Miss Mildred Crews, R. R. #2, Ft. Meade, Florida. This record is in good condition. Miss Crew did not know if any records were kept earlier and if they were they could not be located.
Primitive Baptist Convention of the United States of America, Inc. Mount Pleasant Primitive Baptist Church 1910 - - African-American 1½ miles west of Highway #17, Homeland, Polk County. Constituted, 1910, and services in old M. E. Church, South until 1912, then erected church, destroyed by storm, 1933, then Potter's Chapel, A.M.E. Church until present structure, white, rectangular, wooden building, with belfry and bell, rebuilt from former church, 1934. First settled pastor, Y. F. Ford, 1910-1912, Education unknown; Present pastor, P. F. Fisher, 1937, Bowling Green, Florida, common school education.; "SINGLE ENTRY LEDGER", April, 1923-July 1927, 1 vol. "RECORD", March, 1930, 1 vol. contains minutes of church conferences, including reports made and accepted, election of officers and obligates, call and tenure of pastors, roll of members, financial records, receipts, disbursements, reports, custody, Gertrude Webster, Clerk, Homeland; (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD), 5 vols. April 28, 1912-Sept. 31, 1916; Jan. 4, 1917-April, 1923; May 1926-Oct. 16, 1938; Oct 23, 1938, shows organization, membership, exercises, attendance, offerings, activities, board-meetings, elections, reports.
Southern Baptist Convention Mount Tabor Baptist Church Sept. 11, 1887 - - White Rural, 1 mile west of Galloway, Polk County Constituted Sept. 11, 1887, sponsored by Bethel Baptist Church, Socrum. Services in brush arbor until 1889, then small frame building until burned and present white, rectangular, frame building erected 1900. First services and dedicated October 7, same year. Present membership, 141. Active organizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union. First settled pastor, Rev. J. L. Simmons, 1887-1903. Present pastor, Rev. J. D. Long, Nov 12, 1939, R.F.D. Plant City. CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD, Sept. 11, 1887, 2 vols. Showing business done, reports, Associational Letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, J. S. Raulerson, Route #3, Lakeland. CONVENTION SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, May 11, 1924, 16 vols. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections, reports. Vol. 16, Jan. 1, 1939, Custody of clerk, J. S. Raulerson.
Mount Enon Primitive Baptist Church Mount Zion Church 1914 - - White 3 miles West of Frostproof, Route #1, ½ mile South of Frostproof, Ft. Meade Road, Polk County. Constituted 1914. First services in home of W. W. Rhoden, 2 miles southeast of present unpainted, rectangular, frame building, erected 1914. Present Membership. First settled pastor, Elder W. O. Futch, 1914-16. Present pastor, Elder W. J. Hartzog, 1929, Box 443, Avon Park. (CHURCH RECORD), 1914, 3 vols. Showing minutes of church conferences, Rules of Decorum, membership roll, baptisms, deaths. Custody of clerk, R. W. Simmons, Route #1, Fort Meade. (REGISTER OF MEMBERS), 1914, 1 vol. Showing Rules of Decorum, membership roll, Custody of clerk, R. W. Simmons, see supra.
National Baptist Convention of the United States of America Inc. Mount Zion Baptist Jan. 1929 - - African-American North Avenue between First and Second Streets, Polk County Local church is sovereign and independent. It is affiliated with National Baptist Convention of America, Nashville, Tennesse; Progressive State Baptist Convention, Jacksonville, Florida; South Florida Progressive Glades Association, changes annually; Organized Jan. 1929; This church has been active since its organization. Local parent church, First Baptist, Corner Fourth Street and Lincoln Avenue. Organized in the colored school building (now destroyed) then located on Fourth Street and Washington Avenue, holding only two services in this building; they then moved into the old Allen Temple Methodist Church, corner of Lincoln Avenue and First Street, holding services here until about October 1929 when they moved into their present building. Two-story wooden frame building, natural wood color with a belfry on the east and one on the west corners, a 20 X 40 gallery; has a large auditorium, 7 x 8 pastor's study and choir room. First settled pastor, S. C. Caldwell, 1929; High School and correspondence course, Metropolitan Correspondence Bible College, St. Louis, Michigan; Earliest known pastor, S. C. Caldwell, 1929, High School and correspondence course, Metropolitan Correspondence Bible College, St. Louis, Michigan; Present pastor, S. C. Caldwell, 1929, High School and correspondence course, Metropolitan Correspondence Bible College, St. Louis, Michigan; Present pastor, S. C. Caldwell, 1929, 215 Dorsey Avenue, Lake Wales, Florida and 216 West Ninth Street, Lakeland, Florida. "JOURNAL" 1929 and Jan. 1939, 1 vol. "DOUBLE ENTRY LEDGER", Unable to locate record for 1936 to 1938 inclusive. These show the membership roll and dismissals; business meetings of the church; contracts made; collections and expenditures; and collections of Sunday School, B.Y.P.U. and Missionary Society. Other records kept in the pastor's study; "JOURNAL" is kept in the home of the Clerk, Lillie Bell Peterson, 215 Dorsey Ave., Lake Wales, Fla. and are in fair condition. Lillie Bell Peterson is also the custodian. A record of members and dismissals is shown in "Journal", "Day Book" and "Double Entry Ledger". Financial records carried in "Journal", "Day Book", and "Double Entry Ledger". B.Y.P.U.; Woman's Missionary Society; No permanent records are kept of the mentioned auxiliary church organizations but the amount collected by each is shown in "Journal", "Day Book", and "Double Entry Ledger".
Southern Baptist Convention Mount Olive Baptist Church Oct. 7, 1882 - - White Rural, ½ mile East of State Road 17, 2½ miles south of Polk City, Polk County. Constituted Oct. 7, 1882. Services in log building until present white, rectangular, plain, frame building erected 1893 and dedicated July 9. Present membership, 165. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's Missionary Society. First settled pastor, Rev. A. A. Keith, 1882-91, 1892-93. Last pastor, Rev. Herbert Cumbee, Sept. 3, 1939-Nov. 5, 1939, Route #1, Auburndale. (CHURCH RECORD), Oct. 7, 1882, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, reports, Associational letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, A. A. Voiles, State Road 17, about 6 miles South of Polk City. (FINANCIAL RECORD), Feb. 21, 1937, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, W. E. Mills, Orangedale on State Road 17, 6½ miles S. of Polk City. (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD), Oct. 10, 1937-Oct. 20, 1938, 1 vol. CONVENTION SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, Oct. 31, 1937, 1 vol. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections and disbursements. Custody of secretary, Arthur L. Barksdale, State Road 17, about 6½ miles S. of Polk City. (RECORD ORANGEDALE SUNDAY SCHOOL), Aug. 26, 1923-Oct. 6, 1937, 1 vol. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections and disbursements. Custody of ex-secretary, S. E. Hughes, Orangedale, State Road 17, 6½ miles S. of Polk City.
Southern Baptist Convention Medulla Baptist Church 1887 - - White Rural, Lakeland-Mulberry Road, 4 miles South by west of Lakeland, Polk County. Constituted 1887. Services in homes until 1888, then in log building until present white, T shape, frame building, erected 1910, additions, 1938. Present membership, 142. Active organizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union. First settled pastor, Rev. Johnny Johnson, 1890-97. Present pastor, Rev. J. B. Cheshire, Oct. 1, 1933, R.F.D. #1, Lakeland. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, Aug. 20, 1922, 2 bound vols. Showing business done, membership roll, baptism, deaths. (MINUTE BOOK), Sept. 17, 1933, 2 loose-leaf vols. ring binders. Showing business done, reports, financial statements. Custody of clerk, D. M. Pierce, North of Medulla Public School. CHECK BOOK (Blank Checks and Stubs). Showing dates and amounts of deposits. Only financial record kept by treasurer. IMPROVED SIX POINT S.S. RECORD, July 18, 1937, 3 vols. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections, reports, according to Six Point Record System. Custody of secretary-treasurer, Mrs. W. A. Allen, Medulla. SECRETARY'S BOOK FOR B.Y.P.U. April 1, 1934, 3 vols. Showing members, officers, minutes of meetings, attendance, receipts and disbursements.
Southern Baptist Convention New Gapway Baptist Church (Gapway Baptist Church, 1875-1928). 1875 - - White Rural, Cumbie Road, 2&frac;12; miles east of Lakeland, Polk County. Constituted 1875. Services in log building, site of old Gapway Church until 1899, then frame building until present white, rectangular, frame building, erected 1928, holding first services October 7. First settled pastor, Rev. B. Harrelson, tenure, unknown. Present pastor, Rev. S. W. McClelland, 1929-1931, 1935, Route #1, New Jersey Road, Lakeland. (CHURCH MINUTES), 1879-1927, 5 vols. 1928, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, reports, Associational Letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. 3 vols. 1879-1906, Custody of clerk, Marvin Starling, R.F.D. #1, Auburndale; 2 vols. 1907-1927, custody of ex-clerk, H. C. Cochran, R.F.D. #2, Lakeland; 2 vols. 1928, custody of clerk, Marvin Starling, see supra. (CHURCH REGISTER), Jan. 1, 1939, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, Mrs. N. A. Parker, R.F.D. #2, Lakeland. IMPROVED SIX POINT S.S. RECORD, January 1931, 9 vols. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, reports, collections, according to Six Point Record System.
Southern Baptist Convention New Home Baptist Church Aug. 25, 1912 - - White Rural, on Swendell Road, 3¾ miles west of Lakeland, Polk County. Constituted Aug. 25, 1912. Sponsored by Mount Tabor Baptist Church. Services in Winston Public School building until present white, T shape, frame building, erected 1913; first services and dedication October 18. Present membership, 196. Active organization, Sunday School. First settled pastor, Rev. S. W. McClelland, 1912-26. Present pastor, Rev. John R. Totty, 1936, Route #3, Lakeland. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, Aug. 25, 1912, 3 vols. Showing business done, reports, Associational letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. 2 vols. 1912-29, Custody of clerk, C. M. Sutton, ¼ miles North of Swindell Road, 3½ miles West of Lakeland; 1 vol. 1929, custody of ex-clerk, Scott Walker, ⅜ miles North of Swindell Road, about 4¼ miles West of Lakeland. MEYER'S PARAMOUNT ALPHABETICAL CHURCH TREASURER'S ACCOUNT BOOK NO. 2, Oct. 1, 1925-Oct. 1, 1926, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. CONVENTION SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS, 1928-34, 6 vols. IMPROVED SIX POINT S.S. RECORD, 1935, 6 vols. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections and disbursements. 6 vols. 1935, custody of secretary, Miss Helen Philips, Winston. B.Y.P.U. SECRETARY'S BOOK, Jan. 19, 1926-July 1, 1934, 6 vols. Showing members, leaders, attendance, minutes of meetings, collections, reports, disbursements.
Southern Baptist Convention Oak Ridge Baptist Church 1926 - - White Polk City, Polk County Constituted 1926. Services at home of G. C. Lanier until white, rectangular, frame building, erected and dedicated, 1926. Half time church, meeting 2nd and 4th Sundays. Present membership, 76. Active organizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, Woman's Missionary Society. First settled pastor, Rev. J. R. Wells, 1928. Present pasotr, Victor V. Voelker, April 1939, Polk City, Beulah Heights Missionary Bible Training School, North Berger, New Jersey. SINGLE ENTRY LEDGER (Records of Oak Ridge Baptist Church), Oct. 3, 1936, 1 vol. Showing business done, reports, Associational Letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk, Dewey Gaffney, ¼ mile South of State Road 17, 1¼ miles Southwest Polk City. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD (Sunday School), October 14, 1931, 4 vols. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections, reports, disbursements. Custody of secretary, Mrs. Beula Quinn, Polk City.
National Baptist Convention of the United States of America Inc. Peaceful Baptist Church Oct. 1911 - - African-American South Charleston Ave., next to No. 521, Fort Meade. G. Robinson, pastor Galilee Baptist Church and former pastor of this church, W. M. Turner, Church Clerk, R. Grant, Treasurer. The Association, at one time was known as Second South Florida Association. The moderator of this Association, South Florida Progressive Glades Association, is S. C. Caldwell, pastor of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Lake Wales, Florida. W. M. Turner stated this church has been affiliated with Conventions and Association for years and are not affiliated with any other. Affiliated with National Baptist Convention of America (Col.), Nashville, Tennesee; Progressive Baptist State Convention, Jacksonville, Florida; South Florida Progressive Glades Association, changes annually. Organized in the home of a man by the name of Humphrey (unable to get his full name), located in front of present church, on South Charleston Avenue, holding services here until about Dec. 1911. They moved into a house across the Avenue from the Humphrey home, holding services here until about March 1912 when they moved into a small church (their present one), where services have continued to the present time. This church was enlarged in 1925 and again in 1928. Ceiled 1934, New roof 1938, Added to west end 1925 & 1929. Plain wooden building with gable roof, not painted, rectangular in form. No special features other then bell. First settled pastor, Wm. Smith (This is not the Wm. Smith at First Baptist, Lake Wales) Feb. 1912-July 1912; Earliest known pastor, John Thompson, Oct. 1911-Jan. 1912, Grammar School; Present pastor, C. N. Floyd, October 1937, High School, 579 Live Oak Avenue, Daytona Beach, Florida. (CLERK'S RECORD), September 1932, 1 vol., The minutes are written on loose sheets and kept in this (Clerk's Record), contains membership roll, election of deacons, trustees, and other church officials, minutes of the meetings of the conference, collections, disbursements, reports of the Clerk-Financial Secretary, Treasurer, Sunday School, Woman's Home Missionary Society, and Lillie White Sewing Circle. Kept in home of Clerk-Custodian, W. M. Turner, 311 Railroad Ave., Fort Meade, Fla., condition good. Records prior to Sept. 1932 could not be located. No separate register is kept, the membership roll being carried in the (Clerk's Record). This record does not show baptisms, birthd, deaths, marriages. "LEDGER", June 1938, 1 vol., contains individual account of members. Kept in the home of the Financial Secretary-Custodian, W. M. Turner, 311 Railroad Avenue, Fort Meade, Florida and condition if good. The church has a treasurer, R. Grant, 100 Fifth Street, Fort Meade, Florida, who holds the money, and any payments made by him from this fund are recorded in the (Clerk's Record). SUNDAY SCHOOL, "Boyd's National Baptist Sunday School, Minute, Roll and Record Book", March 31, 1929-May 4, 1930, April 4, 1937, 2 vols. (Unable to locate records prior to March 31, 1929 and for May 11, 1930-March 29, 1937) contain minutes of Sunday School, showing attendance, scholars, teachers, officers, visitors present, and contributions, and weather conditions. Kept in the church, R. Grant, 100 Fifth Street, Fort Meade, Fla., being custodian, and are in good condition. They have no secretary at this time. B.Y.P.U. "B.Y.P.U. Record and Roll Book", April 15, 1930-September 20, 1930, 1 vol., contains minutes of the meetings showing collections; (Secretary's Record), April 30, 1939, 1 vol. contains collections only. Kept in the church, R. Grant, 100 Fifth Street, Fort Meade, Fla., being custodian, and both records are in good condition. Records prior to April 13, 1930 and for September 27, 1931-April 23, 1933 could not be located. Woman's Home Missionary Society and the Lillie White Sewing Circle. Neither of these are active and no records of either could be located. They have no central depository, and R. Grant, Deacon, stated that old records had been destroyed as they saw no need for keeping them. Information obtained from the following: W. M. Turner, Church Clerk; R. Grant, Deacon; Cora Grant, Sunday School Teacher; John Thompson, organizer of the church; C. N. Floyd, Pastor.
Southern Baptist Convention Peace Creek Baptist Church Sept. 3, 1854 Defunct- Early part of 1873 White In Peace Creek section, there were no streets nor highways, just sand roads. Affiliated with Southern Baptist Convention, Nashville, Tennesee; Florida Baptist Convention, Jacksonville, Florida; Alachua Baptst Association (now subdivided into other associations) Movable; Became inactive in 1868 but not dead until early part 1873. Original name of church, Peas Creek, Minutes of Aug. 10, 1870 show it was called "Pease Creek". Since the post office was Peace Creek, it was thought the word "Pease" was an error in the spelling. Services were held in the homes of members, especially the home of Z. G. Seward, Peace Creek Sections (now Bartow), (unable to get name of other homes and dates); on Camp Grounds about six miles south of Bartow, in an old log school house about two and one-half miles south of Bartow, and later in The Academy on the corner of what is now known as Carpenter Avenue and Summerlin Street. (Unable to get the dates services were held in any one place but it was thought that during 1871-1873 they were held in The Academy.) On Page 148, Polk County Historical Commission Vol. 1, "Historic Story of old Fort Blount - now Bartow-" is the following:"It was named Pease Creek because of the wild peas which grew in great profusion along the creek. No treaty of peace was ever made on or near that river and the impression that it was ever named Peace Creek because of its being the scene of such a treaty is erroneous." The post office was Peace Creek long after the town was named Bartow. This congregation never owned a church. First settled pastor, Rev. J. M. Hayman, Sept. 1854-Nov. 3, 1867, Common school. It is not known that he even completed grammar school but in spite of that he must have done much studying and reading for he accumulated a "good great" library of religious books. Earliest known pastor, Rev. J. M. Hayman. Latter part 1871-1873 until it became defunct in 1873. (Unable to get exact date) His address at that time was Peace Creek, Florida. Common School. With the exception of FOUR years, Rev. J. M. Hayman served as pastor in the Peace Creek District, Peace Creek Church and First Baptist Church, Bartow, 1854-April 1883. It is possible they had a Sunday School but nothing definite on this could be given. Records not transferred to a central depository of the church. The original (Minute Book) is still in existence and is the property of Mr. G. O. Denham, 665 South Wilson Avenue. I was not allowed to examine this book as they intend to type these minutes and on account of its condition, it was thought best not to allow to book to be handled. Information given by Mrs. Sarah Judson Blount, daughter of Rev. J. M. Hayman; G. O. Denham, Clerk First Baptist, Bartow; Mrs. B. J. Olend, Member Peace Creek Baptist. (MINUTES) September 3, 1854-September 1871, missing Oct. 1871-early part 1873. It seems the record was discontinued Oct. 1871-early part of 1873, at least these records are missing. Minutes of the meetings showing the organization of the Peas Creek Baptist Chuch, by J. M. Hayman and R.G.B. Wooley, September 3, 1854, giving the names of eight members as follows: Z. G. Seward, H. S. Seward, Cantril Seward, William P. Rogers, Mary Seward, Sarah M. Seward, Ellen S. Seward, and colored man Jim"; members received throughout the life of the church, showing how, whether by statement, letter, baptism; list of deceased members, motions, resolution, and usual church business; election of officeres and call of pastors, there being only three pastors to serve this church. September 3, 1854-September 1871, 1 vol. Polk County Historical Commission, is located in the Polk County Court House, Bartow, Florida. The original (Minute Book) is the property of G. O. Denham, 665 South Wilson Avenue, Bartow, Florida. The original having been damaged by water, and it is possible these are the missing minutes, Oct. 1871-early part of 1873.
Southern Baptist Convention Peace Creek Baptist Church 1868 (Lapse, 1923-27) - - White Road 17, 4 miles East of Bartow, Polk County Constituted 1868, or earlier. No authentic records of places of worship prior to erection, 1892 of present rectangular, frame building, needing repainting. Present membership, 79. Active organizations, Sunday School. First settled pastor, Rev. J. M. Hayman, 1892-95. Present pastor, Rev. Fred E. Burnette, 1939 Balm, Fla. (MINUTES OF PEACE CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH), 1927-30, 1931, 3 vols. Title varies: COMPOSITION, 1927-30, 1 vol.; Single Entry Ledger and Double Entry Ledger, 1931, 2 vols. Showing reorganization of church, officers, minutes of meetings, Peace Creek Church admission to South Florida Assn., Associational Letter, 1938, 1927-30, 1 vol. Custody of Mrs. Ruby Sandh, Route #2, Box 119, Bartow, 1931, 2 vols. Custody of clerk, Mrs. Maxie Ryals, Alturas. JOURNAL (FINANCIAL RECORD), 1937, 1 vol. Showing financial record. Custody of Mr. Percy T. Duke, Route #2, Box 101, Bartow. (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS), 1933, 3 vols. Title varies: (SECRETARY'S RECORD), 1933-35, 1938-40, 2 vols. MEYER'S PARAMOUNT SUNDAY SCHOOL SECRETARY'S RECORD), 1940, 1 vol. Showing officers, teachers, members, attendance, financial records. (RECORDS OF BAPTIST YOUNG PEOPLE'S UNION), 1935-38 (Defunct), 3 vols. Title varies: SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK FOR B.Y.P.U. OR B.A.U. EIGHT POINT RECORD SYSTEM, 1935-36, 1 vol. (SECRETARY'S RECORD), 1937-38, 2 vols. Showing individual record of members according to Eighicity
Mount Enon Primitive Baptist Association Peace Creek Church 1872 Defunct 1918 White On Route #2, 4 miles S. of Highway 79, 7 miles S. E. of Bartow, Hillsborough County, now Polk County. Constituted 1872. Serviced in home of Raborn Rolerson, ¼ mile from Lake Hancock, then moved to log cabin about 5 miles N.E. of Bartow and met here until lapse in 1885. Reorganized 1887, services in small school building until c1891 when they moved to new building until defunct. Last rectangular, unpainted, frame building erected 1890. First settled pastor, Rev. H. F. Fortner, 1875-85. Last pastor, Elder D. Wilkerson, deceased, 1911-1917. (CHURCH RECORDS), 1889-1909, 1908-15, 1910-18, 3 vols. Showing minutes of church conferences, membership roll, Rules of Decorum, baptisms, deaths. Custody of J. H. Fortner, Route #2, Bartow.
Primitive Baptist Convention of the United States of America, Inc. St. James Primitive Baptist Church, 1922, Mulberry, Polk County. 1922 - - African-American Mulberry, Polk County, Florida Constituted 1922 and services in house, 1 mile east of Mulberry, until building erected 1 block south of R.R., destroyed by storm, 1927. Present church, a buff, square, Mission type, wooden, frame building with belfry and bell, erected, 1928 by Phosphate Company, also furnishing pastorium, water and lights, dedicated 1928. First settled pastor, Rev. P. J. Daniels, 1922-1927, common school education. Present pastor, Rev. E. J. James, 1939, Mulberry, Florida; Lakeland Seminary, Lakeland, Florida. "LEDGER" (Church Records), 1931, 1 vol. Business and proceedings of church conferences, including notes of all reports made and accepted, actions on membership, call and tenure of pastors, election of officers and delegates, a register of members, baptisms, deaths, transfers, exclusives, restorations, financial records, all receipts and disbursement down to 1939, statements, reports, Custody, Ida Rouse, Clerk-Treas., Mulberry. "THE BLUE HORSE" (Financial Record), Sept. 10, 1939, 1 vol. Showing all receipts and disbursements. Custody, Ida Rouse, see supra. "THE BLUE HORSE", (Sunday School Record), April 1939, 1 vol. Showing organization, membership, exercises, attendance, offerings, activities, board-meetings, elections, delegates, reports. Custody, Lessie Mae Walker, Scy, Mulberry.
National Baptist Convention of the United States of America Inc. First Baptist Institutional Church (St. John's Baptist Church, 1884-1919) 1884 - - African-American 930 N. Dakota Ave., Lakeland, Polk County. Constituted 1884, Services in frame building, Southwest Lakeland, until burned, 1898, then frame structure, same site, until present church, a red, square, gothic, brick building, with art glass windows, erected, 1922, first services, May 14, 1922. First settled pastor, P. Gant, tenure and education, unknown. Present pastor, Horace L. Stephens, Aug. 1919-1932. N. Dakota Ave., Lakeland, Florida; Florida Memorial College, Live Oak, Florida, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois. (CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD) Jan. 19, 1923, 3 vols. Contains minutes of church conferences, dates, business and proceedings, including reports of pastor, deacons, trustees, all auxiliaries, committees, convention delegates, motions, resolutions, actions on membership, call and tenure of pastor, election of officers and delegates, a register of members, baptisms, death, transfers, financial records, receipts and disbursements down to 1937, statements and reports. (FINANCIAL RECORD), Jan. 3, 1937, 2 vols. Showing receipts and disbursements, all sources and objects, dates, reports, custody, Ola E. Chisholm, Financial Scy., 617 W. 4tgh St., Lakeland. (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS), Oct. 16, 1937, 2 vols. Showing organization, membership, attendance, exercises, studies, programs, offerings, activities, board-meetings, elections, delegates, reports. (B.Y.P.U. RECORD), Dec. 8, 1938, 1 vol. Showing organization, objections, members, devotional services, topics, leaders, programs, studies, activities, finances, business elections, delegates, reports. (WOMAN'S MISSIONARY UNION RECORD), Nov. 3, 1937, 1 vol. Showing organization, members, objectives, business, programs, studies, activities, rallies, money raised, elections, delegates, reports, custody, Elsie Robinson, Scy. 530 First St., Lakeland.
South Baptist Convention Salem Baptist Church 1883 Defunct. 1893 White 13 miles southeast Fort Meade, Ft. Meade County Road, Polk County. Constituted 1884. Services held in arbor until church, an unpainted, rectangular, frame building was erected and dedicated 1886. Earliest known pastor, Rev. S. M. Sparkman, 1884-85. Last pastor, Rev. J. M. Hayman, 1889-1893, Bartow, Fla. Deceased.
American Baptist Association Second Baptist Church 1915 - - White University Avenue, Mulberry, Polk County. Constituted 1915. For a short time before organization, Rev. Ben Evers conducted services in a tent. After organization, building formerly used by the Adventists was purchased, remodelled and used until 1937 when present Mission style, white, rectangular building was erected 1937, dedicated 1939. First and only settled pastor, J. H. Dorman, R.F.D. #2, Winter Haven. (CHURCH ROLL AND RECORD), 1928, 2 vols. Showing minutes of church conferences, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, reports, receipts and disbursements. Custody of clerk and treasurer, J. W. Helms, P.O. Box 2534, Mulberry. (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORDS), 1934, 1 vol. Showing officers, teachers, pupils, attendance, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary-treasurer, Miss Inella Parnell, Route #1, Box 181, Lakeland. (LADIES' AID RECORDS), 1929, 6 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, officers, members, reports, receipts and disbursements. 3 vols. 1929-36, custody of former secretary, Mrs. J. C. Currie, Pierce; 2 vols. 1936-39, custody of Mrs. M. I. Stephens, Pierce; 1 vol. 1939, Custody of secretary, Mrs. C. A. Thomas, Pierce.
Southern Baptist Convention Second Baptist Church (aka Bartow Baptist Tabernacle) Oct. 30, 1938 - - White 1300 Block, East Gay St., Bartow, Polk County Constituted Oct. 30, 1938. Prior to organization, services held in tent, site of present white, rectangular, tabernacle style, frame building, erected and dedicated 1938. Present membership, 121. Active organization, Sunday School. First settled pastor, Rev. Paul Goodner, Oct. 31, 1938-Aug. 6, 1939; Bob Jones College, Cleveland, Tenn. Present pastor, Rev. Lawrence M. Collins, September 1939, General Delivery, Balm. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, October 1938, 1 vol. Showing business done, reports, Associational Letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths. Custody of treasurer, T. J. Campbell, Route 1, Box 440, Bartow. SINGLE ENTRY LEDGER (FINANCIAL RECORD), Nov. 1, 1938, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, T. J. Campbell, see supra. RING-MASTER COMPOSITION BOOK (S.S. RECORD), July 23, 1939-September 1939, 1 vol. IMPROVED SIX POINT RECORD FOR SECRETARIES OF DEPARTMENT SUNDAY SCHOOLS, Oct. 1, 1939, 1 vol. Showing members, teachers, officers, attendance, collections, reports, disbursements, according to Six Point Record Syster. Custody of secretary, Marvin Dees, Route #2, Box 280-D, Bartow. SUNDAY SCHOOL TREASURER'S RECORD BOOK, Oct. 8, 1939, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, Herbert McNabb, 1015 Dudley Ave., Bartow. (FELLOWSHIP CLUB, SECRETARY'S RECORD), Jan. 13, 1939, 2 vols. Showing members, officers, minutes of meetings, attendance, collections, disbursements. Custody of secretary, Miss Ophelia Cochran, Route #2, Box 279, Bartow.
National Baptist Convention of the United States of America Inc. Shiloh Baptist Church Dec. 5, 1934 - - African-American Near Corner Fourth Street and Harding Avenue Affiliated with National Baptist Convention of America, Nashville, Tennesse; Progressive State Baptist Convention, Jacksonville, Florida; Union Farm Association (Tarpon Springs District), changes each year. This church split from Mt. Zion Baptist, North Avenue between First & Second Sts., Lake Wales, Florida. They organized and have held services in the present church building since its organization. This was a two-story frame building known as the Masonic Hall, but shortly after the organization of the church it was purchased by the church and has been remodelled, reducing the building to one story. Building erected 1925 but purchased in 1934, remodelled 1936, pulpit added 1938. Plain wooden building, rectangular in form, in natural wood color. First settled pastor, T. C. Mitchell, 1934-May 1938; earliest known pastor, T. C. Mitchell, 1934-May 1938; Present pastor, J. L. McCray, Sept. 1938, Grammar School, 4 shorts terms in Lakeland Seminary, Lakeland, Florida; Okeechobee, Florida. "LEDGER", 1934, 2 vols. These records show all business of the church, and list of members, name of church and date organized shown. Kept in the home of the Clerk, Joe Copeland, 303 North Avenue, and are in poor condition. The membership roll is carried in Clerk's Record, "LEDGER". "LEDGER" 1938, 1 vol. No records prior to 1938 could be located. This shows all receipts and disbursements. Kept in the home of S. Thomas, Financial Secretary, and is in fair condition. S. Thomas' address is 39 Second Street, Lake Wales, Florida. SUNDAY SCHOOL, "Boyd's National Baptist Sunday School, Minute, Roll and Record Book", 1936, 1 vol. Unable to locate any records prior to 1936. This shows minutes of the Shiloh Baptist Sunday School, reading of scripture, subject of lesson, enrollment, attendance, collections and expenditures, and reports. Kept in the home of R. Lawson, Sec'y., 336 North Third Street, Lake Wales, and is in good condition. WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY, "Ledger", 1938, 1 vol. Unable to locate any records prior to 1938. This shows enrollment, business and inspirational meetings, collections and disbursements, and reports to the Union Farm Women's Convention. Kept in the home of the Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. Mary Lawson, 336 North Third Street, Lake Wales, and is in fair condition. B.Y.P.U.; Not very active and no records kept. Information provided by J. L. McCray, Pastor; Joe Copeland, Clerk and Deacon; S. Thomas, Financial Secretary and Deacon; R. Lawson, Sunday School Secretary; Mrs. Mary Lawson, Secretary-Treasurer W.M.S.
Southern Baptist Convention Southside Baptist Church Nov. 26, 1922 - - White McDonald St. and Pennsylvania Ave., Lakeland, Polk County. Constituted Nov. 26, 1922, incorporated Feb. 27, 1931, from members of First Baptist Church. First services in tent until 1928, then in Lake Morton school building, Lake Morton Drive and Palmetto St. until present modified Grecian type, rectangular, buff brick building, with art glass windows and pipe organ, erected 1923, addition, white, frame Sunday School room, 1938. Present membership, 720. Active organizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, Woman's Missionary Union with 6 auxiliaries, Brotherhood. First settled pastor, Rev. P. C. Barkley, 1923-27; Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky. Present pastor, Rev. James S. Day, Jr., 1934, 826 S. Johnson Ave., Lakeland; John B. Stetson University, DeLand; Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky. See "History of the Southside Baptist Church, Lakeland, Fla.," by Mrs. Helen B. Wilson, published by Southside Baptist Church, located in church office. (CHURCH MINUTES), 1922, 3 vols. Showing business done, reports, Associational Letters. (CHURCH REGISTER), 1922, 2 vols. Showing membership roll, baptisms, deaths. (CHURCH ROLL), 1922, 1 file box c1200 cards. Showing members, age, address. (CHURCH TREASURER'S REPORTS), 1922, 1 bundle and 1 file c650 reports. Showing receipts and disbursements. SUNDAY SCHOOL, (Reports to Church), 1929, 1 file. (Report Cards), 1935, 1700 loose cards. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections, disbursements. (BAPTIST TRAINING UNION RECORDS), 1936, 2 vols. Showing members, leaders, officers.
Southern Baptist Convention Waverly Baptist Church 1926 - - White One block south of Winter Haven, Lake Wales Short Route, in Waverly, Polk County. Constituted 1926. Services held until 1935 in Presbyterian Church of Waverly, which building is now used by Nazarene Church. Present rectangular, frame building erected, dedicated 1938. Present membership, 123. Active organization, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union. First settled pastor, Rev. H. M. Overstreet, 1926-28. Last Pastor, Rev. H. F. Carter, 1939-40, P.O. Box 544, Bradenton; Norman Junior College, Norman Park, Ga. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, 1926, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, Associational Letters, financial records. Custody of clerk, Jack Thompson, Waverly. DOUBLE ENTRY LEDGER, 1931, 3 vols. Title varies: IMPROVED CHURCH RECORDS, 1931-1937, 1 vol.; JOURNAL, 1936, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, T. H. Campbell, R.F.D #1, Lake Wales. CONVENTION SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, 1934-35, 1938, 3 Vols. Showing reports, attendance, teachers, pupils, receipts. SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK FOR B.Y.P.U. OR B.A.U. EIGHT POINT RECORD SYSTEM, 1938-39, Intermediate B.Y.P.U.; 2 vols. Showing membership roll according to Eight Point Record System. SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK FOR B.Y.P.U. OR B.A.U. EIGHT POINT RECORDS SYSTERM, 1938-39, 1 vol. Showing membership roll Senior B.Y.P.U. according to Eight Point Record System. B.Y.P.U. TREASURER'S RECORD, 1940, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custofy of secretary-treasurer, Mrs. L. E. Marshall, Waverly.
Southern Baptist Convention Webster Ave? Baptist Church Dec. 31, 1925 - - White 1130 N. Webster Ave., Lakeland, Polk County Constitued Dec. 31, 1925, sponsored by First Baptist Church. Services in private home, then tent, later Webster Ave. school building until white, rectangular, frame building erected 1927, addition, 1937. Present membership, 429. Active organizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, Woman's Missionary Society. First settled pastor, Rev. W. S. King, 1926-27. Present pastor, Rev. R. M. Hall, 1940, Lakeland; Mercer University, Macon, Ga.; Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, 1925, 3 vols. Showing business done, reports, Associational Letters. (CHURCH ROLL), 1928, 1 vol. Showing members, baptisms, deaths. MYER'S PARAMOUNT ALPHABETICAL CHURCH TREASURER'S ACCOUNT BOOK, 1926-31, 5 vols. IMPROVED CHURCH TREASURER'S RECORD, 1931, 8 vols. Showing receipts and disbursements. IMPROVED SIX POINT S.S. RECORD, 1926, 9 vols. Showing members, officers, teachers, attendance, collections, disbursements, according to Six Point Record System, 2 vols. 1937, custody of secretary-treasurer, Miss Margaret Stevens, Augusta St., Lakeland. (MINUTES OF WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY), 1926, 2 vols. (FINANCIAL RECORDS W.M.U.), 1936, 1 vol. Showing members, leaders, receipts and disbursements. 2 vols. custody of secretary, Mrs. G. L. Huckabay, 1147 W. Sixth St., Lakeland. 1 vol. 1936, custody of treasurer, Mrs. Edgar Locke, 1609 W. Tenth St., Lakeland.
Southern Baptist Convention West Side Missionary Baptist Church Feb. 24, 1929 - - White Lime Ave. & Miami St., Lake Wales, Polk County Constituted Feb. 24, 1929. Services in small frame building until rough tabernacle erected on presetn site and destroyed by fire. Moved back to original frame building until present rectangular, white, plain, frame building erected, 1932, parsonage added, 1937. Present membership, 223. Active organizations, Sunday School, Baptist Training Union, Woman's Missionary Society. First settled pastor, Rev. R. H. Whitcomb, 1929-Decembere 1930. Present pastor, Rev. Herman Collins, 1936, Corner Polk Ave., & Miami St., Lake Wales. See "Directory of West Side Baptist Church of Lake Wales, Florida," published by Rev. R. M. Bigler, Dundee, Florida, 1929, in home of Miss Leila Brack, Walker St., Lake Wales. PERFECT CHUCH RECORD, 1 vol. CONVENTION CHURCH RECORD, 2 vols. 1929. Showing Constitution, By-laws, reports, Associational Letters, membership roll, baptisms, deaths. Custody of clerk, Herman Johnson, R.R. #1, Lake Wales. IMPROVED CHURCH TREASURER'S RECORD, October 1935, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements, individual pledges. Custody of treasurer, Marvin Williams, R.R. #1, Lake Wales. IMPROVED SIX POINT SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, 1931, 6 vols. Showing members, teachers, officers, attendance, collections, reports, disbursements. Custody of secretary-treasurer, Miss Louise Connelly, 114 Sharp St., Lake Wales. JOURNAL (WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY), 1937, 1 vol. Showing members, minutes of meetings, receipts and disbursements. Custody of secretary-treasurer, Miss Mary Stearns, R.R. #1, Lake Wales. SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK FOR B.Y.P.U. OR B.A.U. EIGHT POINT RECORD SYSTEM (Senior), October 1931, 4 vols. Showing members, officers, reports, minutes of meetings. SECRETARY'S RECORD BOOK FOR B.Y.P.U. OR B.A.U. EIGHT POINT RECORD SYSTEM (Intermediate) 1936, 2 vols. Showing members, officers, reports, collections, disbursements.
American Bapitst Association Willow Oak Baptist Church (Landmark) 1921 - - White Route 1, Lakeland, Polk County Constituted 1921. Prior to organization, services were held in homes and school houses by different Baptist ministers. Land and materials were donated by Mr. Alfred Turner, and first services were held in rectangular, white, frame building erected 1886. This building razed and material used in present rectangular, white, frame building, erected and dedicated 1935. From date of organization until 1921, this church was affiliated with Southern Baptist Convention. Present membership. Active organization, Sunday School First settled pastor, Rev. Ray Simmons, 1921-1925; Present pastor, Rev. Vesta Jent, 1940, Turkey Creek. (CHURCH RECORDS), 1935, 2 vols. Showing membership roll, pastors, tenures, receipts and disbursements. 1935-1938, 1 vol., custody of former clerk, Mrs. Jennie L. Thompson, Mulberry. 1938, 1 vol., custody of clerk, Mr. Frank Weeks, Route #1, Lakeland. (FINANCIAL RECORDS), 1940, 1 vol. Showing receipts and disbursements. Custody of treasurer, Mr. Edward D. Turner, Route #1, Lakeland. (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD), 1938, 1 vol. Showing members, teachers, officers, attendance, and offerings. Custody of secretary-treasurer, Mr. Austin Hatcher, Route #1, Plant City.
African Methodist Episcopal Mount Calvary African Methodist Episcopal Church 1928 - - White 4th St. and Washington Ave., Lake Wales, Polk County. Constituted 1928, in colored Masonic Hall, 4th St. and Harding Ave., now known as Shiloh Baptist Church, services until 1923, then using a small house, adjoining present property, until present church, an unpainted, rectangular, plain, wooden building, erected 1934, first services in June, remodelled 1938. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's Home Missionary Society. First settled pastor, J. Z. Longmies, 1928-1931. Education unknown. Present pastor, R. F. Stanford, Aug. 1938, 511 5th St., Lake Wales, Florida; Common school education. (SECRETARY'S RECORD), Church Minutes, 1939, 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, receipts, disbursements. (TREASURER'S RECORD), Financial records, May 31, 1934, 1 File Box. Showing receipts, disbursements. Custody of treasurer, Sarah Daniels, 511 Fifth Street, Lake Wales,. SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, (Secretary's Record), January 1939, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, attendance, collections. Custody of pastor, Rev. R. F. Stanford, see supra.
Methodist Episcopal Church, South Mount Pisgah Methodist Church 1876 Defunct Middle part of 1909 White R.F.D. #2, Fort Meade, Florida, about 1½ miles east of Highway #17, and 2 miles northeast of Bowling Green, Florida. Affiliated with General Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Nashville, Tenn.; Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, movable; District Conference, Bartow District when it became defunct. Organized in 1878, they organized in a little log school house which was located about 200 feet north of the Mount Pisgah Methodist Church and held services in this building until they moved into their church in Oct. 1886. This church building was razed many years ago. Never dedicated, it was a two story wooden frame building with church auditorium on main floor; the second story, a large room was used as a community school building. It was rectangular in form, and painted white. First settled pastor, Rev. W. C. Jordan, 1876-one year, as written in "The Complete Church Register", education unknown; Earliest known pastor, Rev. W. C. Jordan, 1876-one year, education unknown, Last pastor, Rev. J. W. Austin, Unknown-middle 1909. Orlando, Florida, education unknown. No minutes could be located, unable to locate a financial record book. Records were not transferred to a central depository. Information provided by Bascom Carlton, Charter member; Mrs. Ethel Jones, old resident of Bowling Green; Rev. Dow Durrance, Pastor, Pisgah Baptist Church; Rev. J. F. Clark, Pastor, Bowling Green Methodist; Mr. J. B. Reid, Senior, purchaser of Pisgah Methodist Church (defunct). "The Complete Church Register", 1876-Nov. 1907, Missing December 1907-middle 1909, 1 vol., this record was not discontinued but it was thought there were no members taken into the church after November 1907. Contains register of pastors showing date of appointment and term of service, membership roll showing how received, whether by baptisms, letter, statement, and the date thereof; how removed whether by letter, exclusion, erasure, and date thereof. It also shows marriages and deaths. 1876-November 1907, 1 vol. is located in the home of Rev. Dow Durrance, Pastor of the Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church, Rural Route #2, Wauchula, Florida. While working on the Bowling Green Methodist Church I contacted an old gentlemen who had bee a charter member of the Mt. Pisgah Methodist Church. He gave me information on the Mt. Pisgah Methodist Church and told me that Rev. Dow Durrance had located an old register of the Mt. Pisgah Methodist Church and had kept it he thought, because many of his relatives had been members of this church. I located Rev. Durrance and he had "The Complete Church Register" in his possession, but could give no information of other records. Record is in fair condition. Records were not kept earlier than dates shown, which is the date of the organization of the church.
African Methodist Episcopal Church Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church Sept. 1936 - - African-American Laurel St. and Macon Ave., Bartow, Polk County Constituted Sept. 1936. Services in home of L. B. Brown, 9th Ave., near S.A.L. until first church erected, 1937, Palmetto St., destroyed by fire, Sept. 1938, services then in home of L. B. Brown until church, an unpainted, rectangular, wooden building, erected 1938, first services Jan. 1, 1939. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's Missionary Society, Allen Christian Endeavor League. First settled pastor, T. W. Hill, May 1937-May 1938. Common school education. Present pastor, I. Fayson, May 1939, General Delivery, Bartow, Florida; Edward Waters College, Jacksonville, Florida. (CHURCH RECORDS), Cash, Sept. 11, 1938-March 1939, 1 vol.; Journal, April 3, 1939, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, receipts, disbursements. 3 vols. Sept. 11, 1938, custody of secretary, England Levett, 1770 Palmetto Ave., Bartow. (BOARD OF TRUSTEES' RECORD), October 1939, 1 vol. Showing receipts, disbursements. Custody of secretary, Edward Dixon, 765 Seventh Ave., Bartow. (SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD), Secretary's Record, October 1939, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, attendance, collections, collections, disbursements.
The Methodist Church Myrtle Street Methodist Church 1913 - - White N. Tennessee Ave. and E. Myrtle St., Lakeland, Polk County Constituted 1913, sponsored by First Methodist Church. Services in present church, a white, rectangular, wood building, erected, and dedicated, 1913, remodelled and additions, 1934. Present membership, 400. Actibe organizations, Sunday School, Epworth League, Woman's Missionary Society. First settled pastor, W. H. Steinmyes, 1913-1915. College of Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina. Present pastor, J. B. Reid, 1937, 707 N. Tennessee Ave., Lakeland, Florida; Florida Southern College, Lakeland, Florida. CHURCH CONFERENCE MINUTES, 1913, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, Custody of pastor, Rev. J. B. Reid, see supra. QUARTERLY CONFERENCE MINUTES, 1913, 6 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, officers, reports, Custody of pastor, Rev. J. B. Reid, see supra. CHURCH REGISTER, 1913, 2 vols. Showing membership roll, baptisms, deaths. Custody of pastor, Rev. J. B. Reid, see supra. (FINANCIAL RECORDS), 1926, 13 vols. Showing receipts, disbursements. 10 vols. 1926-35, custody of former treasurer, Mrs. C. H. Dickinson, 512 N. Kentucky Ave., Lakeland; 3 vols. 1936, custody of treasurer, W. B. Hendrix, corner Iowa Ave. and Oak St., Lakeland. WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY, (Minutes), 1935, 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, receipts, disbursements. Custody of secretary, Mrs. Harold Wood, 834 N. Iowa Ave. Lakeland. SUNDAY SCHOOL, no year given. Showing minutes of quarterly conferences. Records kept for one year and then discarded. EPWORTH LEAGUE, no year given. Showing minutes of quarterly conferences. Records...(page ends).
The Methodist Church Orange Heights Methodist Church 1926 - - -White 5th St. and N. Webster Ave., Lakeland, Polk County. Constituted 1926. Services in present church, a white, rectangular, wood building, erected 1926. Present membership 71. Active organizations, Sunday School, Woman's Missionary Society, Epworth League. First settled pastor, B. F. Lawhern, 1926-1930. Education unknown. Present pastor, Rev. W. S. Bozeman, 1941. (Scratched out: George K. Stratham, 1938, 119 E. Park St., Lakeland, Florida; Saracuse University, Saracuse, New York. QUARTERLY CONFERENCE RECORDS, 1926-28, 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, CHURCH REGISTER, 1926, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, baptisms, deaths. Custody of secretary, Mrs. Hannah Harrington, 1002 W. Sixth St., Lakeland. (FINANCIAL RECORD), 1926, 3 vols. Showing receipts, disbursements. 1 vol. 1937, custody of secretary, Mrs. Hannah Harrington, see supra. SUNDAY SCHOOL, (Sunday School Records), 1926-27, 1 vol.; 1933, 1 vol. 1936, 1 vol. Showing pupils, teachers, officers, collections, disbursements. 3 vols. 1937, custody of secretary, Mrs. Hannah Harrington, see supra. WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY (Records of Woman's Missionary Society), 1936, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, receipts, disbursements. Custody of Mrs. Dorothy Numbauer, Corner Omohundro Ave. and 10th St., Lakeland. EPWORTH LEAGUE, no dates, or vols. given. Showing minutes of meetings, reports.
Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Pearce Chapel 1890 Defunct About 1907 White 4 miles S.W. of Bradley Junction in bend of South Prong of the Alafia, 300 yds. from the stream. Bradley Junction, Polk County. Affiliated with Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Nashville, Tennessee; Annual Florida Conference of M.E. Church, South, Jacksonville, Florida; District, movable. About 1890, Mr. Joseph C. Pearce and others got together and built a "box" wooden church house on building site donated by Mr. Pearce, ¼ mile west of his home, which was named Pearce Chapel. Some time later, Rev. Bascom Carlton assisted in organizing a Methodist church there also called Pearce Chapel, he serving as first Pastor. Another well remembered minister was Rev. J. W. Austin, but much of the time church was served by local preachers. A number of active members moved to other sections, services were discontinued about 1907. The cabinet organ was given Bradley Junction Baptist Church in 1912, benches given Holiness congregation in Brewster, and later moved to Holiness church in Ft. Meade. Building was destroyed by fire. Church erected and dedicated in 1890, a plain mission style, foundation of hewed pine logs, "box" wooden building, painted white, a rectangle in shape. No special features. Seating capacity about 150. First settled pastor, Rev. J. W. Austin, 1903-1905, education unknown; Earliest known pastor, Rev. Bascom Carlton, 1890-unknown, education-High school. A number of local minister served at different times, dates could not be ascertained, among them were: Will Whidden, "Cub" Whidden, George Mitchell, a Mr. York and a Mr. Sellers. (Initials of two last were unknown) All of these had common school educations.
African Methodist Episcopal Church Potter's Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church 1924 Defunct This church has been inactive since December 1938. African-American Negro quarters, about 1½ miles west of Highway #17, Homeland, Polk County. Affiliated with General Conference, African Methodist Episcopal Church, Nashville, Tenn.; Central Florida Annual Conference (1938 Annual), Tampa, Fla.; Bartow District Conference, movable. The Conference and pastors of African Methodist Episcopal Churches, with the help of local people, built the church, then they organized in the church and have held services here until December 1938, when it became inactive. I was unable to locate any record books, and Matilda Davis, Secretary of the church stated a former pastor removed from the church took all records with him. Evan Vaughn stated the date on cornerstone represented date church was built and organized; names of individuals represent -----------------------------the church and served for a (could not read portion or ending of paragraph). Plain wooden building with gable roof, belfry to the left of main entrance to church, rectangular in form, painted white. Cornerstone with inscription as follows: "Potter's Chapel A.M.E. Church, 1924. J. C. Longworth, C. C. Johnson, P. R. Godwyre, Sam Davis, M. A. Allen, J. W. Williams, L. McGill, Maud Smith, Jessie Allen, Irean Silas, Matilda Davis, Jane Harrell, Jessie Nixson, Eva Vaugh. W. H. Mitchell, Pastor." First settled pastor, W. H. Mitchell, March 1924-March 1925, education unknown; Earliest known pastor, W. H. Mitchell, March 1924-March 1925, education unknown; Brewster Gant, March 1938-Nov. 1938, General Delivery, Ft. Meade, Florida, Completed sixth grade.
Presbyterian Church of the United States Presbyterian Church 1918 Defunct About 1925 White In K. P. Hall, Mulberry, Florida. Affiliated with Nat'l.-Presbyterian Church in the United States, Richmond, Virginia; State-Synod of Florida-Headquarters, Jacksonville, Fla.; District-St. Johns Presbytery-no headquarters. All meeting were held in K. P. Hall in Mulberry. A buildng site was donated but found to be so involved that clear title could never be established, so no plans were ever made to build on it. The membership was not large, so when some families moved to other localities, meetings were discontinued. First service held about 1918, No church house was built, K. P. Hall, where meetings were held was a plain building with two stories, made of cement blocks, grey in color, a rectangle in shape. No special features, The cabinet organ used in St. Luke's Episcopal Church, Mulberry, was given the Presbyterian Church when their church building was destroyed by fire. None of the clergymen who served this church lived in Mulberry. Among those remembered were Rev. Walton, Dr. Timms, Dr. Ebenezer McGill, and Rev. Mason (deceased). As there are no records, dates of tenure could not be ascertained. They were all College men, but names were not known. Present pastor, Rev. Walton, unknown tenure, Safety Harbor, Florida (last known), education unknown. The following Auxiliaries were active: Sabbath School, Christian Endeavor, and Woman's Auxiliary. None of these were known to have kept records. This church sends records to depository at Montreat, N. C.; but work in Mulberry was under supervision of Home Mission Board and no separate records are known to have been kept. Information provided by the following: Mrs. H. K. Murphy, Organist, Mulberry, Florida; Rev. J. Russell Young, Pastor Presbyterian Church, in Wauchula, Fla.; Mrs. J. M. Windham, 245 1st Ave., Bartow, Fla., member St. Luke's Episcopal Church); Mrs. Clyde Maddox, active member in Wauchula Presbyterian Church, Wauchula, Florida, supplied name of Dr. Ebenezer McGill;
Methodist Episcopal Church Prospect Methodist Church 1878 Defunct 1927 White About 4 miles east of Bartow and Highway 17, village then known as Connersville, Polk County Affiliated with General Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Nashville, Tenn.; Florida Annual Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church, South, movable; District Conference, Lakeland Dist. when disbanded. Held services in the school building near the present village of Gordonville, about 3 miles north of what was then known as Connersville, from 1878-1880, when they moved to their first building located near the present Peace Creek Baptist Church about 4 miles east of Bartow and Highway 17, preaching here until they moved to their last building, in the fall of 1905. (This building has been sold and moved to another location). Building erected in 1905, dedicated in 1906, first service in Fall of 1905. Plain wooden building with bell tower through the center front, vestibule on the northwest corner leading to auditorium, 2 Sunday School rooms on the southwest corner, with balcony or gallery with seating capacity of about 25 persons overhead, in front only, rectangular in form, painted white. First settled and earliest known pastor, Rev. George W. Mitchell, 1878-1880, unknown education. Last pastor, Rev. H. H. McAfee, 1926-1927, when it became defunct. Address now is Box 534, Lakeland, Florida. He is an educated man but unable to get name of college he attended. Mr. Gandy stated Mr. McAfee was a high official in the Holiness Camp Meeting Ground, South Florida Ave., Lakeland, and had left the Methodist. I contacted members of the Nazarene church in Avon Park and found that Rev. McAfee mentioned above was the District Superintendent of the Nazarenes in 1938-1939, and has been President of the Interdenominational Holiness Camp Ground, South Florida Avenue, Lakeland, Florida, and was a Methodist preacher as late as the date mentioned above.
Protestant Episcopal Church St. Luke's Episcopal Church 1912 Defunct About 1920 White S. side of Bartow & Mulberry Road in Mulberry, Florida. Affiliated with Nat'l-National Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church, New York City; Dist.-Diocese of South Florida, Orlando, Florida; State-Synod of Florida; A few meetings were held in K. P. Hall in Mulberry by Rev. C. A. Mercer, while church was being constructed, in 1912, on lot donated by Mr. L. N. Pipkin, Mr. Mercer being first Rector. After a very prosperous life of about 8 years, church building was burned about 1920; the furniture and cross with all altar and communion articles were saved. The oak pews, with all altar and communion articles were donated to a Church in Dade City; the cabinet organ was given Presbyterian Church in Mulberry, and lot went back to Mr. Pipkin. Insurance money received is still kept in Building Fund of Diocese of South Florida for use by this church. Gothic style, frame wooden building, painted white, a rectangular cross in shape. Finished in oak inside. One immense art glass window, others smaller art glass. Altar and communion furnishings of brass. Oak pews and cabinet organ. Seating capacity about 100. First settled Rector, Rev. J. H. Davet, 1914-1916, Bexley Hall of Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio; Earliest known Rector, Rev. C. A. Mercer, 1912-1913, education unknown. Last Rector, Rev. Samuel Ward, 1919-1920, Haines City, Florida (at that time) education unknown; Rev. R. Nagel served as Rector 1917-1918.
African Methodist Episcopal Church Saint James African Methodist Church March 1885 - - African-American 1040 Magnolia St., Bartow, Polk County Constituted March, 1885. Services in homes of members until first church erected, a small frame building, 1889, services until present church, a white, rectangular, wooden, frame building, with bell tower, bell, and pipe organ, erected 1894, dedicated 1914, additions 1930. First settled pastor, G. B. Hill, March, 1886-Feb. 1887. Common school education. Present pastor, J. B. Epperson, Dec. 13, 1939, 770 3rd Ave., Bartow, Florida; Gammon Theological Seminary, Atlanta, Georgia. Constituted in 1885. First services held in homes of members, 1885-1889, until first church was built 1889, and used until present rectangular wooden white church was built 1894, with bell, pipe organ, piano, altar service and cornerstone, dedicated 1894. Active organizations are Sunday School, Christian Endeavor League, Woman's Missionary Society, Usher Board, Busy Bee, Grants Progressive. First settled clergyman, G. B. Hill, 1886-1887. Common school education. Present clergyman, J. B. Epperson, 1939, 770 3rd Ave., Bartow, Fla., Gammon Theological Seminary, Atlanta, Ga. (Minute Book), 1916, 1 vol., showing membership, how received, how removed, marriages, list of officers and pastors, minutes of meetings, financial record and usual church business, custody of clerk, Beulah D. Cephus, 785 6th Ave., Bartow, Fla. (Record of Steward and Stewardess Boards), 1939, 1 vol. showing record of monies raised by the stewards and stewardesses and the clubs working under the stewards for the support of the pastor, education, Easter Program, charity, how disbursed, list of members who contribute regularly, custody of Beulah D. Cephus, sec'y, 785 6th Ave., Bartow. (Reports of Trustee Board), 1939, 1 vol. showing Trustees' reports of the St. James A.M.E. Church to the Quarterly Conference, showing monies received by the Trustees and account of expenditures, itemized, custody of Willie Mae Taylor, sec'y, 460 Third Ave., Bartow. (The A.M.E. Church Sunday School Record), 1900, 14 vols. showing class reports, atttendance of teachers, officers and scholars, collections, summary of these reports, located in church library. (African Christian Endeavor League), 1938, 1 vol. showing list of officers, collections from various grouups and total collections-The funds being turned in to the Sunday School, custody of sec'y, Bernice Dixon, 765 7th Ave., Bartow.
African Methodist Episcopal Church Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church 1903 - - African-American 4th St., Fort Meade, Polk County Constituted 1903, and services in small frame house, near Morris Turpentine Still, ½ mile from Fort Meade, just off Highway #17, until 1906, then homes, until small building in Bowling Green used, then Masonic Hall, now Shiloh Baptist Church, then original building until church, a white rectangular, wooden, frame building, with bell tower, erected 1909, dedicated Sept. 18, 1911, addition of choir stand, 1912, pastorium 1925. Active organizations, Sunday School, Allen Christian Endeavor League. First settled pastor, C. H. Wright, 1903-1906. Common school education; Present pastor, Henry Sapp, March, 1938, 30 E. 4th St., Fort Meade, Florida, Edward Waters College, Jacksonville, Florida. CHURCH MINUTES, Ledger, 1909-1915, 1 vol. 1931, 1 vol. Showing minutes of meetings, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, reports, receipts, disbursements. 1 vol. 1931, custody of secretary-custodian, Beatrice Liston, 200 Lanier Ave., Fort Meade. SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD, 1917-1919, 1921-1927, 1930-1937, 7 vols. Showing pupils, officers, teachers, attendance, collections. (SECRETARY'S RECORD), 1938, 1 vol. Showing membership roll, officers, teachers, collections, disbursements. Custody of secretary-custodian, Gladys Lofton, 505 South Lanier Ave., Fort Meade. ALLEN CHRISTIAN ENDEAVOR LEAGUE (Secretary's Record), 1935, 2 vols. Showing minutes of meetings, collections, disbursements. Custody of secretary-custodian, Gladys Lofton, see supra.
Roman Catholic Saint Thomas Catholic Church Mission 1890 - - White 265 W. Church St., Bartow, Polk Co. Began as a mission in 1890. Mass, 1890-1909, in homes of Baeumel family, 495 N. Carpenter Ave.; 1910-1913, home of Mrs. J. L. Woodward, 345 E. Lemon St.; present cruciform, white, frame church, with 14 station of the cross, painting of Joseph & Jesus, 4 statues: Sacred Heart, Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, St. Theresa (Little Flower), gold crucifix, 2 ft. tall Santuary Lamp. This mission served by Jesuit priests 1890-1910. Sponsored by Sacred Heart, Tampa, St. Joseph Church, Lakeland. In 1933 placed in Plant City Parish. Pres. pastor lives in rectory, Plant City. St. Thomas congregation furnishes a car for the pastor. Both churches served by same pastor. Pres. Mem. Act. organs.: Catholic Woman's Club, S. S., Young People's Sodality, Holy Name Soc. League of the Sacred Heart. Earliest known pas., Rev. Andrew Fox, 1910-1912. First settled pastor, Rev. Michael Farley, 1917-unknown. Pres. pastor, Rev. Peter Reynolds, 1938, 407 Thomas St., Plant City, Florida; St. Melo College, Longford, Ireland. St. Patrick's Seminary, Carlow, Ireland. "Combination Register", 1938, 1 vol. Showing baptisms, marriages, confirmations, communicants, burials, bishops, pastors, births, infant baptisms. Records, 1929, of St. Clements Catholic Church, Plant City, Cus. of pastor. "Journal", (Finan. Rec.), 1938, 1 vol. Showing rec. of receipts and disbursements. Cus. of pastor. (Sec. Rec. of Cath. Woman's Club), 1938, 1 vol. Showing officers, members, min. Cus. of Mrs. Elizabeth E. Quinn, Sec., Rt. #2, Box 157, Bartow, Fla. (Treas'. Rec. of Catholic Woman's Club), 1938, 1 vol. Showing monies received & disbursed. Cus. of Mrs. George J. McNamee, La Sarena, Bartow.
Seventh-day Adventist Church Seventh-Day Adventist Church 1922 - - White Corner Main Street and Hendry Avenue, Bartow, Polk County Affiliated with General Conference, Takoma Park, Washington, D. C.; Southern Union Conference, Decatur, Georgia; Florida Conference, Orlando, Florida; Organized Feb. 18, 1922. Services have been held in the present church building since the date of its organization. This building was owned, for a number of years, by another religious body, the Seventh-Day Adventist paying rent for its use, later purchasing the building. Present building erected 1886, not dedicated, first service 1922, prior to organization. Plain wooden building with high gable roof, small porch on the southwest corner leading to entrance of church; rectangular in form, painted white. First settled and Earliest known clergyman, Elder William R. Coffey, Feb. 18, 1922-Apr. 1923, Prior to organization, Elder G. I. Butler, tenure, unknown-unknown, education unknown; Present clergyman, Elder E. A. Lemon, November 1939, B. A. Degree Emanuel Missionary College, Berrien Springs, Mich., Post-graduate work, S.D.A. Theological Seminary, Washington, D. C.; Rooms at Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Wauchula, Florida. Elder G. I. Butler was in the field at different times sometime prior to organization. (Unable to get any dates). Records are not transferred to a central depository of the church or denomination. They are kept by officials in office. The missing Treasurer's Records which were in the home of a former Treasurer were destroyed by fire when this home burned. Information provided by Mrs. Alice M. Fisher, Church Treasurer; Miss Gertrude Clements, Church Clerk; Miss Margaret Troeppl, Sabbath School Secretary; Elder E. A. Lemon, Pastor; F. L. Clements, an old timer in this locality and Adventist in belief. (Minute Book), February 18, 1922, there are no missing dates. 1 vol. Records are not discontinued. There are no missing records. Minutes of the meetings, showing dates, motions, resolution, reports and usual church business; organization of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, showing the date organized; list of membership, showing names, how received, whether by baptism, letter, and the date thereof; how removed, whether by letter, death, disfellowship, and the date thereof; election of officers, showing name and tenure. February 18, 1922, 1 vol. is located in the home of the Church Clerk, Miss Gertrude Clements, church clerk, whose address is R.F.D. #1, Box 336, Bartow, Florida. Condition is record is good. There were no records kept prior to the organization of the church, nor earlier than date shown. (Treasurer's Record), January 1929, Records February 18, 1922-1928 were destroyed by fire. 2 vols. Records have not been discontinued. The missing records, February 18, 1922-1928, were destroyed by fire. Financial record showing monies received and disbursed. January 1929, 2 vols., are located in the home of Mrs. Alice M. Fisher, Church Treasurer, 850 East Church Street, Bartow, Florida. Condition of record is good. Records were kept earlier than dates shown, but they were in the home of a former official and this home together with the records were destroyed by fire. "The Complete Sabbath School Record and Register", January 1939, missing from date of organization, (unable to get this date) - December 1938, 1 vol., The missing records have been destroyed. They were in the church and the church was given a thorough cleaning and all old records were destroyed. Contains register of officers showing names, dates of election, office; minutes of the Sabbath School, showing number of members, attendance, visitors, number who studied lesson each day, offerings, expenditures, quarterly reports, and general remarks. January 1939, 1 vol. is kept in the home of Miss Margaret Troeppl, Secretary of Sabbath School, whose address is 564 East Pearl Street, Bartow, Florida. Record is in good condition. The missing records have been destroyed. Records were kept from date of the organization of the Sabbath School, but they saw no use for keeping the old records and when the church was given a thorough cleaning all old records were destroyed.
Seventh-day Adventist Church Seventh-day Aventist Church 1923 - - White South Lanier Avenue, just off Broadway, Fort Meade, Polk County Affiliated with General Conference, Takoma Park, Washington, D. C.; Southern Union Conference, Decatur, Georgia; Florida Conference, Orlando, Florida. Organized Feb. 17, 1923, the church was built, then converts to the Seventh-day Adventist faith assembled in this building for organization, and services have been held in this building to date. Present building erected 1923, dedicated 3/31/23, first service in building, 2/17/23. A very small wooden frame building, rectangular in form, painted white. First settled and earliest elder, Allen Walker, Feb. 1923-July 1924, unknown education; Present elder, James Drury Reavis, Jan. 1939, High School and B. A. Degree, Emanuel Missionary College, Berrien Springs, Michigan, and now working for M. A. Degree. 1126 Dorothy Street, Lakeland, Florida. "Church Record of the Seventh-day Adventist Church of Fort Meade, Florida", 1923, 1 vol., contains minutes of business meetings showing organization, membership roll, baptisms, deaths, dismissals, election of church officers and officers of Sabbath School and Missionary Volunteer Society, dedicatorial services. Kept in the home of the Clerk-Custodian, Mrs. E. E. Powell, 126 South Lanier Ave., and is in good condition. No separate register is kept, the membership roll, baptisms, deaths, and dismissals are shown in "Church Record of the Seventh-day Adventist Church of Fort Meade, Florida". (Church Treasurer's Record) 1934, 2 vols., show all receipts and disbursements, and reports to the Florida Conference. Kept in the home of the Treasurer-Custodian, Mrs. E. E. Powell, 126 South Lanier Ave., Fort Meade, Fla., and are in good condition. No records prior to 1934 could be located. SABBATH SCHOOL, "The Complete Sabbath School Record and Register", July 1938, 1 vol., contains the minutes of the Sabbath School, showing attendance of officers, teachers and scholars, number visitors present, expense and mission offerings. Kept in the home of the Secretary-Custodian, Mrs. Gladys Hurst, Route #1, Fort Meade, Florida, and is in good condition. Records prior to 1938 were destroyed recently when cleaning the church. HOME MISSION "Church Missionary Secretary's Report of Missionary Work", 1936-1937, 1 vol., contains a record of missionary work to sick and needy at home. Since this society has been inactive since 1937 no records since that date have been kept, and no records prior to 1936 could be located. Kept in the home of the Secretary-Custodian, Mrs. N. E. Anderson, Route #1, Box 17, Fort Meade, Florida, and condition is good. Missionary Volunteer Society has not been active for a long time and no records could be located. Records are not transferred to any central depository. Information provided by Mrs. E. E. Powell, clerk; Mrs. J. M. Cox, early member and wife of an Elder; Mrs. Gladys Hurst, Sabbath School Secretary; Mrs. N. E. Anderson, Secretary Home Mission.
Seventh Day Adventist Church Seventh Day Adventist Church 1915 Defunct About 1924 White In K. P. Hall, Mulberry, Florida Affiliates Nat'l-General Conference of Seventh Day Adventists, Washington, D. C.; District-Southern Union Conference, Decatur, Georgia; Dist. in State-Ridge District, headquarters movable. Organized about 1915, all meetings were said to have been held in K. P. Hall in Mulberry. Membership was small but preaching services and Sabbath School were held regularly for 8 or 9 years, until so many members had moved to other sections, those left decided to discontinue meetings. K.P. Hall is plain, concrete-block rectangular building, two stories, grey in color. The only 2 persons found who remembered anything about this organization of Seventh Day Adventists, could not give me names of the clergymen who served there. I also wrote Rev. H. E. Schneider, State Secy. and Treasurer of S.D.A. in Orlando, Florida. He said there are no records of work in Mulberry in their files. There was an active Sabbath School, but no records located. No central depository for records. No information on loss or destruction of records. Information provided by Mr. J. L. Hood, (Wife said to be a member), Mulberry, Fla.; Mrs. A. J. Cooke (Parents were members), Mulberry, Fla.; Rev. H. E. Schneider, State Sec'y & Treas., Orlando, Fla.
National Baptist Convention of the United States of American Inc. Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church 1926 Defunct or not. Ending Date African-American 1½ miles west of Mulberry, Polk County Constituted 1926. Services in buff, square, Mission-hall type, wooden building, with bell, erected, and dedicated, 1926, remodelled and additions, 1939. Church erected, and donated for church, including pastorium, lights and warer, by Phosphate Company. First settled, and only pastor, Rev. I. C. Irwin, 1926, P. O. Box 746, Mulberry, Florida; Lakeland Seminary, Lakeland, Florida. "Ledger" (Church Records), 1926-31, 1 vol. "The N. B. Church Record, Roll and Minute Book", 1932, 2 vols. Show conference business and proceedings including reports made and adopted, a register of members, baptisms, deaths, transfers, exclusion, restorations, financial records, including auxiliaries, dates, details. Custody, Charlie Beaty, Clerk-Treas., Mulberry. "Boyd's N. B. Sunday School Minute, Roll and Record Book," 1938, 2 vols. showing organizations, membership, exercises, attendance, offerings, activities, board meetings, election, delegates, reports. "Blue House" (Sunday School Treasurer's Records) Dec. 1937, 1 vol. showing receipts and disbursements, monthly statements, quarterly and annual reports. Custody, Iola Beaty, S. S. Treas., Mulberry.
Assemblies of God Victory Tabernacle Assembly of God 1930 - - White 1080 Mill Avenue, Bartow, Polk County First organized Oct. 1930, reorganized Nov. 24, 1931, lapse early part 1931 until reorganized. Original name of church, Glad Tidings Tabernacle Assembly of God, changed in 1935. Affiliated with General Council, Assemblies of God, Springfield, Missouri; (No State); District Council, South Florida District, Tampa, Fla.; Tampa Presbytery, C. C. Hansberger, Presbyter, Bartow, Fla. They organized in a tent located just off of East Main Street near the Seaboard Railroad, holding services here until the church became inactive, the early part of 1931. This body reorganized Nov. 24, 1931 and held services in a tin building on West Main Street, near Mill Avenue until the latter part of 1932 when they moved to an old laundry building near the City Power Plant, on Church Street, holding services here until August 1934; they then moved to an old dwelling across the street from the Union Depot, holding services here until about August 1935, after which services were held in the home of their pastor, H. R. Parrish, corner Floral Avenue and Parker Street, until they moved to their present church building, February 23, 1936. Shortly after this body organized there was some friction and they disbanded, reorganizing November 24, 1931. Present building erected latter part of 1935 and early 1936. Dedicated July 2, 1939, first service February 23, 1936. Added to west end making choir stand in 1939. The building being high enough at this end, Sunday School room was finished underneath this addition. Straight wooden building, rectangular in form, the main building being painted white, the addition unpainted. First settled pastor, C. E. Finch, Nov. 15, 1930-1932, education unknown; Earliest known pastor, Mrs. Anna May Hunter, July 1930-Oct. 9, 1930, Grammar School; Present pastor, Rev. J. E. Lowe, Nov. 26, 1939, Grammar School, 180 North Jackson Avenue, Bartow, Florida. CHRIST AMBASSADORS, No records kept. Records are not transferred to a central depository of the church, but are kept by the officials in office. No information could be given on the missing records except they have been lost or destroyed as former officials did not turn them over to the present Clerk, Mrs. George Chadwick. Information provided by Mrs. George Chadwick, Clerk-Treasurer; Mrs. Mae Stephens, Pianist and daughter of Mrs. Anna May Hunter, who was first known pastor; Rev. J. E. Lowe, Pastor, Mrs. Ethel Wilkes, member. "Victory Tabernacle Assembly of God", November 1933, If kept, they are missing October 1930-October 1933. 1 vol. Records have not been discontinued. It is possible that records were kept on loose sheets by former clerks who failed to turn them over to the church when removed from office. Contains minutes of the meetings showing dates, motions, election of officers, appointment of pastors, reports and usual church business; membership showing names only; financial record showing monies received and disbursed. In this record book is the application to the Assemblies of God, Springfield, Missouri for the reorganization of this church and the acknowledgment showing the date of the reorganization. November 1933, 1 vol.; is located in the home of the Clerk-Treasurer, Mrs. George Chadwick, whose address is Box 452, Bartow, Florida. Record is in good condition. Mrs. Chadwick stated she thought records were kept earlier than dates shown but thought the former official failed to turn them over to the church when they removed from office and they had been destroyed. "Sunday School Record for Secretary and Treasurer", 1935, If kept, they are missing from date of organization, (unable to get date)-1934. 4 vols., Records have not been discontinued. The missing records have been lost or destroyed as they saw no reason for keeping them. Contains class reports of the Sunday School showing attendance of officers, teachers, and scholars, number of visitors, collections, expenditures, and a summary of these reports. 1935, 4 vols. are located in the home of Mrs. George Chadwick, Secretary of the Sunday School, whose address is Box 452, Bartow, Florida. Records are in good condition. Mrs. Chadwick stated she knew records were kept earlier than dates shown but they undoubtedly had been destroyed.

Visit our National Site

All data on this site is protected by copyright law with full rights reserved for original submitters.
Genealogy Trails ©2008-2015

 

Polk County Home Page | Florida Home Page | Genealogy Trails Home Page