Polk County Florida Obituaries
Surnames beginning with M.




MARYE V. MAJOR


Mrs. Marye Virginia Major, 80, of 501 E. Oak St., Died Friday noon in Arcadia after a long illness. She was a native of Milwaukee, Wis., and had lived in Lakeland for one year. Mrs. Major is survived by her aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Yariger of Diamondale, Mich. Services and burial will be in Schoolcraft, Mich. Arrangements were under the direction of Gentry-Morrison Funeral Home.

[ Source: Lakeland Ledger, Jan 5, 1964.]
Submitted by Barbara Lee.



MRS. MARY E. (Miller) MAYS

LL Jan 10, 1964

WINTER HAVEN – Mrs. Mary E. (Miller) Mays, 62, died at her residence at 222 Ninth Street, SE, early Wednesday. Mrs. Mays, a native of Shorterville, Ala., came to Winter Haven from Lakeland in 1931. She was a member of Beymer Memorial Methodist Church. She is survived by a sister, Mrs. John Galnes, Orlando; several nieces and nephews including Roy B. Miller Jr. of Lakeland. Services will be held in the Ott-Laughlin Chapel at 10:30 tomorrow morning with the Rev. Leo F. King, pastor of Beymer Memorial, officiating. Burial will be in Lakeside Memorial Park.




ROBERT CORNELIUS McCLINTON

LL Jan 10, 1964

Robert Cornelius McClinton, 78, of Route 1, Lakeland, died yesterday morning. He attended Ardella Baptist Church. He was a native of Alabama, and had made his home in the Medulla area for the past 30 years. He was a labor foreman for the Davison Chemical Co. before his retirement. Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Mattie McClinton; and two sisters, Mrs. Naomi Merett of Washington and Mrs. Venie Walker of Sterratt, Ala. Services will be held at 3:30 o’clock tomorrow afternoon at the Ardella Baptist Church, with the Rev. Charles R. Newman, pastor, officiating. Burial will be in Fitzgerald Cemetery. Friends may call at the A. M. Seigler Funeral Home at Mulberry tonight from 7 until 10 o’clock.




CHAS. McCRORY

Takes Carbolic Acid for Jamaica Ginger -- Drunken Laborer Dies after Horrible Mistake -- Dead Man Leaves No Clue to Family

Lakeland, January 31. -- (Special) -- Mistaking a bottle of carbolic acid for Jamaica Ginger, Chas. McCrory, a brick layer of this city, drank the contents of the bottle containing the poison Saturday night and died from its effects within a few minutes. McCrory was not a drinking man habitually, but he had been to Plant City, where he had become intoxicated, and on returning to his room at the Ford House, he got up out of bed at 11:30 to take a drink of ginger, which he had secured, and in his condition he mistook the bottle of poison for the Jamaica Ginger and swallowed its contents. His groans attracted the attention of other roomers in the house, and a doctor was at once secured, but it was too late to save the unfortunate man's life. Mr. McCrory was sixty two years of age. He came here a few weeks ago from Kissimmee to do some brick work for Contractor N. F. Bass, of Kissimmee. Papers he had on his person showed that he had worked at DeLand, Orlando, St. Petersburg and Kissimmee. Being a member in good standing of the Orlando Bricklayers' Union, his body was shipped there last night. His union death benefits of $800 is payable to his estate, but as no clue is known to his family, this sum is being held awaiting further information.

[ Source: The Tampa Morning Tribune, Wednesday, January 22, 1913.]
Transcribed and contributed by: Frances Cooley.





[ Source: .]
Submitted by Sheila Pitts Massie




Polk County Home Page | Florida Home Page | Genealogy Trails Home Page



Genealogy Trails ©2014