We regret that we are
perform personal research for anybody.
County Seat: Crawfordville
Year Organized: 1843
Square Miles: 736
Wakulla County, Florida was created in 1843 from part of Leon County.
It played a role in the Civil War where a Union Squadron blockaded the mouth of the St. Marks River from 1861-1865.
Wakulla County is also home to the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge and the Apalachicola National Forest.
Cities: Sopchoppy ~ St. Marks
Census-designated places: Crawfordville ~ Panacea
Other Unincorporated Communities
Arran ~ Buckhorn ~ Curtis Mills ~ Hyde Park ~ Ivan ~ Medart ~ Port Leon ~ Newport ~ Sanborn ~
Shadeville ~ Shell Point ~ Smith Creek ~ Spring Creek ~ Wakulla ~ Wakulla Beach
The town of Port Leon was once a thriving cotton-shipping hub, with a railroad that carried over 50,000 tons of cotton a year to be put on ships, usually for shipment direct to Europe. Port Leon was the sixth-largest town in Florida, with 1,500 residents. However, a hurricane and the accompanying storm surge wiped out the entire town. New Port (today known as Newport) was built two miles upstream but never quite achieved the prosperity of Port Leon. [source: wikipedia]