McPherson, Dealer in Real Estate, Anniston
(Ala), son of Neill and Eliza McNair
McPherson, natives of Richmond County, State
of North Carolina, was born in Walton County,
Fla., August 17, 1847. The senior Mr.
McPherson, after his marriage in North
Carolina in 1829, migrated to Florida, where
he practiced law for several years, and held
various official positions up to 1862. During
the Creek and Seminole War he held the rank of
adjutant in the regiment commanded by Col.
Levin Brown, and was, altogether, a man of
considerable prominence and influence. He held
a United States office during the
administration of Presidents Pierce and
Buchanan, and up to the commencement of the
civil war in 1861. He also held various minor
civil offices in Walton County; and was
elected, six years in succession, Enrolling
and Engrossing Clerk in the Legislative
Council of the Territory of Florida, and was
elected Secretary of the Senate of the State
of Florida. In 1863, he came into Alabama,
located at Haw Ridge, and from there, in 1866,
moved to Union Springs.
In 1884 he
came to Anniston (Ala), where he yet resides.
He is now in the eighty-first year of his age,
and his wife, who died on the 20th day of
April last, was in her seventy-eighth year.
They reared a family of three sons and two
daughters, of whom we have the following brief
information: William was a member of the Third
Florida Regiment during the war, entering the
army as a private, and coming out with the
rank of captain. After the war he moved to Los
Angeles, Cal., and there practiced law until
the day of his death. His only son, William B.
McPherson, is now a resident of Paducah, Ky.
Sally C., deceased, was the wife of Mr. George
Shackelford. Annie Bell is the wife of Robert
W. Allen, a teacher at Palestine, Tex. Malcom
is a merchant in Anniston; he was a member of
the Sixth Florida Regiment.
grandfathers, McPherson and McNair, came
originally from Scotland. John J. McPherson
and his sisters and brothers, acquired the
principal part of their education at a school
taught by the Rev. John Newton, a Presbyterian
preacher, at Knoxhill, in Walton County, Fla.
At the age of sixteen years he entered the
drug business as a clerk and a student of
pharmacy, and was thus employed for a period
of twelve years. In 1873 he established a
pharmacy of his own at Union Springs. He came
to Anniston July 1, 1884, and was engaged in
the drug business here until July 1, 1887. He
was in real estate business until January 1,
1888. He was married, November 6, 1876, to
Miss Fannie A. McCarty, daughter of Rev. W. A.
McCarty, of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at
Midway, Bullock County, Ala.
Northern Alabama - Historical and
Biographical by Smith & De Land,
Birmingham, Ala 1888 -
Transcribed by Veneta McKinney