Walton County, Florida
Genealogy
                          Trails
Genealogy and History
Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy


Historical Landmarks



Alford's
                            Mill


Location:
1791 Oak Grove Road
Westville, FL 32464

Marker Inscription:
Near this location, Marion Alford established in 1864 a water-powered grist mill that became the focal point of a small farming community that developed in this area of north Walton County. Archaeological remains of the mill dam and foundations still exist along Limestone Creek. Mills played a very important role in the growth of rural Florida communities in the nineteenth and very early twentieth centuries. Alford’s Mill provided corn meal, a staple of the local diet, and a gathering place for those who lived and worked in the nearby forests and fields. The community, known as Alford’s Mill until the early 1880s when the settlement was renamed Limestone, also included a post office and stage coach stop, churches, cemeteries, homesteads and farms. In 1883, the mill was sold to the Chandlers who operated the facility until 1893 when the Alford family reacquired the grist mill. In 1897 Alford’s Mill was converted to a sawmill which operated until 1904, when the mill at last fell silent as the age of water-power came to an end.

Just prior to 1860, Francis Marion Alford, Sr. selected Limestone Creek for his gristmill. The numerous springs feeding the creek created a good flow of water even during a severe drought. This particular site was chosen for its high banks on both sides of the creek, simplifying the installation of a weir (barrier). Construction was completed probably in early 1864. Soon this site became the focal point of the community. A post office was established as well as a stagecoach stop. Alford’s Mill is also denoted on Yankee invasion maps. Marion sold the mill in 1883 and the post office was changed from Alford’s Mill to Limestone. The mill came back into the Alford family in 1897 when William David (Shug) Alford and his father-in-law, Ace Washington Dannelley, purchased the old mill and converted it into a sawmill. They operated the sawmill until 1904. Many stories have been handed down about how during the last years of the Civil War; many hungry mouths were furnished bread from the Alford’s Mill.




Florida Genealogy Trails
Copyright © Genealogy Trails