Georgia Genealogy Trails

"Where your Journey Begins" 

Bartow County, GA


BARTOW'S DISTINGUISHED CHARACTERS


AMOS TAPPAN AKERMAN
Col. Akerman, born Feb. 23, 1821, in Portsmouth, N. H-, was the son of Benjamin and Olive Akerman. His paternal grandfather was Joseph Akerman, and his maternal grandfather was a soldier of the American Revolution.

He graduated in 1842 from Dartsmcuth College and soon afterwards came to Georgia, teaching and studying law with John McPherson Berrien in Savannah. He located at Elberton, practiced law there, and married Martha Rebecca Galloway of Athens in 1865.

Col. Akerman enlisted in the Confederate army and served as captain three years in one of Gen. Jos. E. Johnston's divisions. He was a member from Georgia in the Reconstruction Convention in 1867. He was a Grant elector in 1868 and while at Elberton was appointed United States district attorney for Georgia and in 1870 was appointed by President Grant United States Attorney-General, serving until Jan. 10, 1872. Grant was fortunate in having a Southern Republican so honored and respected, but CoL Akerman had to resign this position when he ruled the illegality of the government granting land to the Pacific railroads.*

CoL Akerman came to Cartersville to establish his permanent residence when he accepted his appointment in 1871. After he left Washington he practiced his profession here, was a beloved character in the town and a prominent member of the Presbyterian church. The Akerman home south of town, on the present Dixie highway, was destroyed by fire. At the time of his death, Dec. 21, 1880, he had been appointed judge of the U. S. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, and would have accepted if he had lived.

Col. and Mrs. Akerman had seven sons, the three eldest were born in Elberton, the others in Cartersville. Mrs. Akerman died in 1912 in Athens.

(1) Benjamin, b. In 1866, was a mining engineer, most of the time in Mexico; married Kate Oraham; died in 1929 in Oregon. (2) Walter, b. in 1868, was postmaster in Cartersville 22 years; a teacher in the city, Chatsworth and Menlo schools; in Y. M. C. A. Overseas service in World War; U. S. marshaH four years; married Susie Young by whom he had six children born in Cartersville; at present Special Agent Public Relations for Seaboard Air Line. Resident of Cartersville.   His children live in Florida,   (3) Alexander!, b. in 1869, married Minnie Edwards, daughter of W. H. Edwards, began law practice in Cartersville; asst. U. S. attorney, South Dist 1910-12, lawyer in Orlando, Fla.; appointed U. S. district judge with headquarters in Tampa, Fla., in 1929. One son, Walter, was born in Cartersville. (4) Joseph, b. in 1873, is a surgeon in Augusta, Ga. (5) Charles, b. in 1S75, lawyer in Macon, is chief counselor for the Macon, Dublin, Savan-nah railroad. (6) Alfred, b. in 1877, was state forester for State of Massachusetts, professor of forestry, University of Georgia, and at present professor of forestry at University of "Virginia (7) Clement, b. in 1880, was on Pershing's staff at Chaumont after the Armistice; at present professor of economics in Reed College, Portland, Ore.

Carl Boyd was born Jan. 24, 1879, in Adairsville and grew to manhood there. He was the son of Gideon M. and Julia Humphreys Boyd. The grandfather of Gideon M. Boyd, John Moody Boyd, born in Virginia, served in the War of 1812 and died in Mississippi in 1562; his father, James Boyd, served as 1st lieutenant in the Seminole War and died in 1852. Gideon M. Boyd, the son of James and Martha Stocks Boyd, at the age of seventeen entered Co. E, 14th Ga. Regt., C. S. A., and surrendered with Gen. Lee's army at Appomattox, April 9, 1865. In 1876 he married Mary Julia Humphreys, who is an ex-regent of the D. A. R. and a Gold Star Mother. Mr. Boyd engaged in the flour mill business soon after the Civil War in Adairsville, and before his death on May 3, 1923, had become a prominent fruit grower and farmer; he had served as the first mayor of Adairsville and from 1917 to 1921 had served as chairman of the Bartow county board of commissioners. He was one of the founders of the Adairsville Methodist church, where he was an active member.

The boyhood of Carl Boyd -was chiefly characterized by a spirit of friendliness that endeared him to everyone that knew him and a faculty of getting things done without unnecessary friction. He went to school in Adairsville and graduated from the United States Academy on June 11, 1903. He was appointed 2nd lieutenant and assigned to the 3rd cavalry at Fort Yellowstone, Wyoming.

In September, 1905 he was assigned to Camp Stolsenburg, P. L; in September, 1907 to Fort Clark, Texas; later, to Fort Sam Houston, to the Riding School at Fort Riley, Kan., and back to the 3rd cavalry at Fort Sam Houston, where he was appointed 1st lieutenant March 11, 1911. He represented the United States in the International Horse Show at Madison Square Garden that year. Later, he served in a mountain howitzer battery on the Mexican border, and in this hard service became personally acquainted with John J. Pershing.

His special training for the great work of his life began when, in the summer of 1912, he was sent to France to review his French preparatory to being assigned as instructor in that language at the Academy.  In 1913 he was sent back to France as an exchange milltary observer and attached to the 7th Regiment of Dragoons. When the World War began he was placed under the American ambassador at Paris and acted as military observer and military attache at that embassy.

On July 1, 1916 he was appointed captain, and on August 5, 1917, major. When the United States entered the war he asked for active service; and, on his arrival in France, General John J. Pershing placed him on his personal staff. On Oct. 12, 1917, he was appointed as aide-de-camp with the rank of colonel, and was appointed lieuten-ant-colonel July 30, 1918.

From the first he made himself the buffer which absorbed the thousand and one petty jars and annoyances to which his Chief was subjected. The sightseer, the seeker of personal privileges, and civil officials demanding special attention for troops from their districts had first to see Col. Boyd, and only he whose mission was of sufficient importance was allowed to take up the General's time. When some new matter came up Gen. Pershing's first words were: "Where is Boyd?" He accompanied the general on his important conferences with high officials of the allied nations.

The value of his services was recognized by the French Govern-ment in the award to him of the title of Chevalier of the Legion of Honor. King Albert, in March, 1918 decorated him with the Belgian War Cross and conferred upon him the Order of Leopold. From General Pershing he received the Distinguished Service MedaL

Carl Boyd married in September, 1903 Miss Annie Peebles by whom there was one daughter, Anne. Mrs. Boyd is now Mrs. John R. Edie of Paris, France.

In February he was taken with influenza and died on the 12th of February, 1919. He is buried in the American cemetery at Suresnes, France. In a cable to his mother Gen. Pershing said, "In the death of your son Carl, of pneumonia at Paris today, the government loses a gallant officer who has given throughout the war the most loyal and distinguished service. We at General Headquarters lose a tried and trusted companion, and I lose a faithful aide, counselor, and friend."

Col. Boyd was the brother of Willis M-. Boyd, of Adairsville, G. M. Boyd, Jr., of New Mexico, Mrs. Pauline B. Goodheart of Kansas City, Mo., and Robert Boyd of Adairsville.

Among the pioneers in the development of the mineral, agricultural, and manufacturing resources of the South, Mark A. Cooper occupies a position which many who have distinguished themselves in the walks of literature and statesmanship might envy. Mark Anthony Cooper was a son of Thomas Cooper who was a son of Captain Thomas Cooper and Sally Anthony—a descendant of Mark Anthony. Mark Anthony's father was a native of Genoa, Italy, and he went to Holland to escape religious persecution, his people being Protestants. From Holland the father sent his son t< Italy to school. The boy was harshly treated and, with a classmate ran away to sea. On the Mediterranean their ship was captured b: Algerian pirates and they were put in chains and set to cutting woo< in the forests under a brutal overseer. Having knocked him in th< head, they made their way by night to a British vessel in the harbo; and the captain, taking pity on them, concealed them until the shij sailed for the West Indies. There they were transferred to a shij which went to Virginia. They worked three years in New Ken county, Va., to pay for their passage. Mark Anthony prospered an< built a mill and trading post on the head of the James river. Abou 15 Georgia families are descended from him, including the Coopers Candlers, Terrells, Clarkes, Jordans, Branhams, Harveys, Stovalls Carters, Boykins, and Nisbets.

Mark A. Cooper was born on April 20, 1800, two and one-hal miles west of Powelton, Ga., and was one of six childrei He was schooled in Hancock county; his primary teachers were Johr Denton, Dr. David Cooper, and Mark Andrews. His academic course was at Mt. Zion under Nathan S. S. Beeman and Benjamin Gilder-sleeves; then at Powelton Academy under Ira Ingraham. He attended Franklin and Columbia, S. C, colleges and was graduated from the latter in 1819 with third honor.

He studied law in Eatonton in the office of Judge Strong, and in 1821 was admitted to the bar in Augusta. He opened an office ai Eatonton with James Clark as a partner.

On  Aug. 23, 1821, he married Evaline Flournoy of Eatonton; she having died, he lived alone, giving himself to his profession, until on Jan. 21, 1826, he married Sophronia A. R. Randle, b. June 28, 1801-d. Feb. 6, 1881, a daughter of John and Susan Coffee Randle of Hancock county. There' were ten children by this marriage: Thomas L., b. Oct. 8, 1831, served as a colonel of the 8th Ga. Regt. and was killed instantly when thrown from a horse while in Confederate service in Virginia on Dec. 23, 1861; John Frederick, b. July 27, 1834-d. Sept. 5, 1861 from wounds received in the first Battle of Manassas; m. Harriet Smith, sister of Maj. C. H. Smith by whom there were Paul, Walter of Atlanta, and Fred. Paul m. AlEce Allgood, by whom there were Mark, Andrew and Frederick, all of Rome, Ga. Mark Eugene, b. November, 1842, was a Confederate veteran and died in December, 1907, never married; Volumnia A. married Thomas Pleasant Stovall of Augusta and Cartersville; Camilla E.; Sophronia; An-tonia; Susanna, married William A. Pope of Wilkes county; Rosa L. died at the age of 68 and had lived with her father all her life.

Mr. Cooper was a successful lawyer and attended every term of his circuit whether he had a case or not. He prepared a book of these cases for his own use. He served one term as solicitor-general of the Ocmulgee circuit in 1828.

In 1831 he, with Charles P. Gordon, called the first railroad meeting in Georgia at Eatonton and obtained a charter for the railroad from Eatonton to Augusta which in later years became extended to Ross Landing, now Chattanooga. As a member of the legislature from Putnam county in 1833, he was privileged to have this railroad charter extended to Athens and Madison.

In 1833 he organized a company with a capital of $50,000 to build the first cotton factory in the State on Little river, near Eatonton.

Up to this time he had farmed, and in 1835 he engaged in banking in Columbus, Ga., organizing a loan company with a cash capital o£ $200,000 which paid an annual dividend of 16 per cent. He managed this company successfully, even through the panic of 1837. After several years the stockholders divided, and Mr. Cooper left Columbus and cultivated a small farm in Murray county.

He was elected major of a battalion, organized in Macon, when the Federal Government made a call for troops against the depredations of the Seminole Indians in Florida in 1836. General Scott's report to the War Department stated that, "Maj. Cooper's command was the only command that sallied outside of their breastworks to attack and drive the enemy". Mark Cooper had previously served as paymaster in an expedition against the Seminoles under Governor Troup.

Maj. Cooper was a Jeffersonian Republican and was one o£ the leaders in the organization of the States Rights party. He went to the U. S. Congress in March, 1839-41 as a States Rights Democrat from Columbus. As a member of the "Ways and Means committee, he, with Colquitt and Black, held the balance of power between the Whigs and Democrats and brought about the election to the speakership of R. M. T. Hunter of Virginia, Mr. Cooper resigned a full term in Congress in 1843 to run for governor against George W. Crawford and was defeated by 200 votes, mainly by the influence of Howell Cobb. Mr. Cooper said, "Crawford beat me on the liquor Question." This ended his political career as far as participation was concerned; he was always vitally interested in politics, and in July 1880, he declined candidacy for the legislature from this county on account of his age and his wife's health.

Maj. Cooper had seen this section of the county when he was campaigning for Congress in 1838, and saw its possibilities. His prominence as the "Iron King of Georgia" is fully discussed in the chapter on minerals found elsewhere in this book. He was among the first, if not the first, men in America who had iron converted into steel. As an authority on minerals he wrote many current articles cn iron ores. He was an agriculturist as well, and was the first president of the Georgia Agricultural Society, having been elected at its first meeting on August 1, 1846, at Stone Mountain. He was instrumental in the passage by the Georgia Legislature in 1836 of the bill creating the W. & A. railroad and years later acted as superintendent of the road. He made the cannon from which were fired seven salutes, celebrating the completion of the tunnel at Tunnel Hill in 1849, and incidentally saved the life of Hon. John P. King, president of the Georgia Railroad, by a timely warning that the gun might burst near him.

Maj. Cooper was against disunion, but he became an ardent supporter of the Confederacy and a warm friend of Jefferson Davis. He wrote Mr. Davis a plan of attack against Gen. Scott which proved a victory for the Confederates at Manassas. Having fought under Gen. Scott, Maj. Cooper knew Gen. Scott's tactics. When he had an opportunity he would not speculate on the misfortunes of the Confederacy, but instead bought Confederate money and lost a fortune.

He was a prominent Baptist; was baptized by Jesse Mercer at Eatonton and was one of the founders of Mercer University, serving as a trustee from 1838 to 1845. He served as trustee of the University of Georgia for 40 years and was a trustee of the Cherokee Baptist College at Cassville during its existence. He was a moderator of the Middle Cherokee Baptist Association in 1854-55. He was always a respected and admired figure in conventions and associations, which he regularly attended.

Maj. Cooper erected a beautiful home on a knoll among the hills near the iron works and this home suffered destruction twice. It burned in March, 1857 at a loss of $10,000, was rebuilt, but again in 1884 was completely destroyed.

After the Civil War he spent the rest of his days quietly at his home. Glen Holly, until his death on April 17, 1885. He and his wife and members of his family are buried in the cemetery not far from the old home place.

Major Cooper was a man of tremendous energy and yet he had poise and calm which inspired confidence and gave him power to lead men. A man who could conquer and survive three financial panics had qualities of unusual strength. During an epidemic of smallpox that broke out at the iron works during the Civil War, he sent his family away, personally attended the sick, and cured the majority on a diet of buttermilk.

A writer from Griffin wrote a word picture of Maj. Cooper in his latter life. "Maj. Cooper showed that he had lost none of the energy and fire of his earlier years. He is one of God's grand specimens of the genus homo and though the suns of nearly 75 summers have bronzed his noble face and bleached his hair to snowy whiteness, he is still young in vigor, resolutions and enterprise. Glorious old man! Who is able or worthy1, to walk in his footsteps when his lease of life expires?" Maj. Cooper left a glorious heritage to his children and children's children.

Jones, Rev. Samuel P

Jones, Rev. Samuel P., of Cartersville, Bartow county, Ga., son of Capt. John J. and Mrs. Queeny (Porter) Jones, was born in Chambers county, Ala., Oct 16, 1847. His paternal grandfather, Rev. Samuel G. Jones, was a Methodist preacher, who married a daughter of Rev. Robert L. Edwards, one of the pioneer Methodist preachers of Georgia. Four of the brothers of Mr. Jones' father are ministers of the Gospel, and for several generations the family on both sides have been prominent church members and preachers of the Word. When only nine years old Mr. Jones had the misfortune to lose his mother. Four years afterward his father married Miss Jennie Skinner of Cartersville, to which place he moved his family in 1859. In 1861 his father entered the Confederate army, and by reason of his absence and the disordered state of society, his son drifted into the company of the immoral and dissipated. Surrounded by and associating with this class, he found himself at the age of twenty-one, physically and morally wrecked and ruined. Until his mother died he had been a pupil under Prof W. F. Slaton, now the superintendent of the public schools of Atlanta. Here the groundwork of an education had been faithfully laid. During his father's absence he had neglected his studies, but soon after his return he entered the school of Hon. W. H. Felton, and later attended the high school at Euharlee, of which Prof. Ronald Johnson was the principal. Here his health broke down, which prevented his taking the collegiate course his father had intended for him. It was at this period he mistakenly sought relief in drinking. He also at this time commenced reading law and after due preparation was admitted to the bar. He, however, continued his life of dissipation until August, 1872, when, -on his death-bed. his father extorted from him a solemn promise to reform and meet him in heaven. He kept his promise and soon after his conversion began to preach the Gospel. The first sermon he preached was the week after his conversion at the old New Hope church two miles from Cartersville. He went there with his grandfather Jones, who was the pastor of the Bartow circuit, and the Rev. Sandford, who was to have preached, failing to keep his appointment, his grandfather prevailed upon him to preach. He now began to preach, and under the direction of Rev. George R. Kramer, began to prepare himself for the ministry. Three months afterward he applied for admission, was accepted and received into the North Georgia annual conference and entered upon the arduous duties of the itinerant Methodist preacher. His first appointment was on the Van Wert circuit, where he preached acceptably three years. His next appointment was on the De Soto circuit, with seven churches, in Floyd county, Ga., where he was unusually successful. From here he was sent to Newborn circuit, Newton county, Ga., where he remained two years, and where he was blessed with greater success than ever before. His next appointment was on the Monticello circuit, Jasper county, Ga., where he also served two years. During these and the three preceding years he had been instrumental, under God, in converting 2,000 people and adding them to the membership of his churches, besides doing a great deal of revival work in other circuits. In the first eight years of his ministry he was instrumental in converting 5,000 people, and preached not less than 400 sermons, a year. His first revival work that gave him any notoriety was in 1879-80. In January, 1881, he was appointed agent for the orphan's home of the North Georgia conference at Decatur, and doing revival work in Atlanta, Griffin, Macon, Columbus and Savannah. This work engaged him during 1881-82. His first revival work in Atlanta was at the First Methodist church, when General Evans was pastor. This was followed by work at St. Luke's in Columbus, St. John's in Augusta, Trinity and Monumental churches in Savannah, Mulberry Street in Macon, and at all the leading Methodist churches in Georgia. The first revival services which gave him newspaper notoriety were in Memphis, Tenn., in January, 1883. Since that time he has worked in more than twenty states, including the cities of Brooklyn, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington, D. C, Indianapolis, St. Joseph, Mo., Waco, Tex., Mobile, Ala., Nashville and Knoxville, Tenn., and in Toronto and other cities in Canada. In no place where he has preached have the buildings or tents been large enough to hold the people. He has preached to congregations numbering 10,000 people, and at Plattsburg, Mo., he had an audience of 20,000. At his revival in Chicago, the Inter-Ocean, and Tribune, in Cincinnati the Commercial Gazette, and Inquirer, and in St. Louis the Globe-Democrat, having an aggregate circulation of 300,000, printed his daily sermons. Through the columns of these widely .circulated journals, he enjoyed the privilege of preaching to a million and a half persons every day. His first preaching, he says, was called "earnest exhortation," which, he claims, cannot be feigned,—and he contends that that which did so much for him will do as much for others. He has always had an inborn hatred for shams, and especially for religious shams. He says he would prefer to be an Ingersoll, and a disbeliever in the Book than to be a Methodist, professedly believing everything and yet being just like Ingersoll. In the fourth year of his ministry he began to preach to his people just as he thought, convinced that the preacher who fits the most consciences will get the most hearers—just as the shoemaker who makes the best fit will get the most customers. In preaching at the consciences he says there are three essential requisites—clearness, concentration and directness—and that when the conscience is aroused the alternative is left, of a better life or complete abandonment. When he first began to preach he was brought face to face with the fact that to succeed as a preacher one must either be a great thinker or a great worker—and after prayerful consideration he chose the latter. During the first eight years of his ministry he preached not less than 400 sermons a year, week after week, preaching oftentimes four sermons a day. He has never attempted to prove that there was a God—that Christ was divine—or that there was a heaven or hell. He made these things not an objective point, but a starting point—his idea being that Christ meant what he said in the command—preach the Gospel, not defend it; preach the Word, not try to prove that the Word is true. He is a believer in progressive theology, in aggressive effort, in agitation, in conflict, in conquest, and in the crowns which must follow this line of work. To the newspapers he concedes he owes much of his success, they having been very kind to him in their reportorial columns. The main object of all his preaching has been to make men realize fully that sin is hideous and righteousness attractive; to drive men from the former and attract them to the heights and beauties of the latter. Mr. Jones was married in November, 1869, to Miss Laura, daughter of John H. McElrain, of Henry county, Ky., and of the seven children which have blessed this union six survive: Mary M., Annie C, S. Paul, Robert W., Laura Henry and Julia Baxter. Since the above sketch was written, Mr. Jones died suddenly on Oct. 15, 1906.
(Source: Georgia Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, VOL II, by Candler & Evans, Publ. 1906. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister)

 Loudermilk, Doctor W.

   Loudermilk, Doctor W., who is now living practically retired in Adairsville, Bartow county, was for many years actively identified with agricultural pursuits, after which he engaged in the hardware business in Adairsville, continuing identified with this line of enterprise until 1900.  He is a citizen of sterling character, and served four terms as mayor of Adairsville.  Mr. Loudermilk was born in Blairsville, Union county, Ga., Dec. 19, 1833, was named for a physician, signs his name “D.W.” and is familiarly known as “Doc”  He is a son of George Washington and Mary (Knox) Loudermilk, the former of whom was born in Virginia, in 1753, and the latter in Knoxville, Tennessee in 1812.  The father was a valiant soldier of the Continental ranks in the war of the Revolution, having been a private under George Washington.  His grandfather also served in Washington’s army.  At this juncture it may be said most consistently that the subject of this sketch well upheld the military prestige of the family name, rendering loyal service in the cause of the Confederacy in the war between the states. On March 1, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company D, Thirty-Sixth Georgia infantry, and continued in service until the close of the war, having been mustered out in March, 1865, shortly before the final surrender.  In 1863 he was promoted second lieutenant of his company.  He took part in a number of important engagements, among which may be mentioned Cumberland Gap and the battles of Vicksburg.  He was captured May 16, 1863 at Baker’s creek, and was sent to Johnson’s Island , in Lake Erie, where he was held a prisoner until Feb. 10, 1865, when he was released.  He then joined a division of the Confederate forces in Atlanta, and was thus in continuous service from the time of enlistment, though held in captivity for more than a year.  Mr. Loudermilk was reared to manhood in his native county, in whose schools he received his early educational training.  After the war he engaged in agricultural pursuits, in which he continued until 1891, and he still owns valuable plantation property, in Bartow county.  In 1886 he located in Adairsville, where he engaged in the retail hardware and implement business, meeting with success and continuing actively concerned in the enterprise until 1900, when he disposed of his interests, having since lived retired, enjoying the fruits and former toils and endeavors. He is a stalwart supporter of the cause of the Democratic party; in 1891 was elected mayor of Adairsville, giving a most acceptable administration and being three times elected as his own successor.  He was thus in service at the head of the municipal government for four successive terms and was again tendered the nomination, but declined the same.  He was also, for some time, a member of the city council.  He and his wife are members of the Primitive Baptist church and he is affiliated with the United Confederate Veterans.  On Nov. 30, 1859,  Mr. Loudermilk was united in marriage to Miss Roxie Loveless, daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth (Nicks) Loveless, of Bartow county, and she died without issue.  On Sept. 28, 1869, he wedded Miss Mary Ann Loveless, a cousin of his first wife.  They have no children.
(Source: Georgia
Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, VOL II, by Candler & Evans, Publ. 1906. Transcribed by Joanne Morgan)

Baker, Thomas Hudson, soldier, physician, surgeon, planter, statesman, was born April 28, 1839, in Bartow County, Ga. He received a thorough education in the public schools of his native state; and graduated from the Washington university of Maryland. During the civil war he was company commander in the eighteenth regiment Georgia volunteers; and he subsequently became assistant surgeon, then surgeon, and at the surrender was origade surgeon. In 1873-76 he was a representative in the Georgia state legislature; and in 1880-81 and 1900-01 was a member of the Georgia state senate.
[Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]

EWING, Arthur Eugene, physician; born near Cartersville, Ga., Apr. 26, 1855; son of Whitley Thomas (A.B., M.D.) and Hannah Jane (Pettingill) Ewing; educated in private schools, Gadsden, Ala., 1862-74, Dartmouth College, 1874-78, A.B., 1878; principal of public school, Gadsden, Ala., 1878-79, and at same time studied law in office of Aiken & Martin; admitted to the bar, Gadsden, Ala., 1879; entered St. Louis Medical College, 1880, M.D., 1883; assistant to Drs. John T. Hodgen and Henry H. Mudd, St. Louis, 1881, and to Drs. John Green and M. H. Post, 1882-86; studied at Koenigliche Christian-Albrecht's University, Kiel, Germany, 1886-88; associated with Drs. Green and Post in the practice of medicine since 1889. Married, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1891, Josephine, daughter of Charles Abner and Harriet Frances (Pettingill) Willard; children: Margaret Frances and Charlotte Eugenia. Clinical lecturer on ophthalmology, 1895, clinical professor of ophthalmology since 1902, Medical Department of Washington University; honorary degree of A.M., Washington University, 1912. Member St. Louis Academy of Science, St. Louis Medical Society, St. Louis Ophthalmological Society, American Ophthalmological Society, American Medical Association, American Academy of Medicine, Alumni Society Medical Department of Washington University, Staff of St. Luke's Hospital, Staff of St. Louis Skin and Cancer Hospital, Dartmouth Alumni Association; also Sons of Revolution and Greek Letter societies, Theta Delta Chi (academic), Phi Beta Pi (medical), Sigma Xi (post-graduate). Baptist. Republican. Office: 520-533 Metropolitan Bldg., Grand Ave. and Olive St. Residence: 5956 W. Cabanne PL.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

BENJAMIN E. BRIDGMAN, M. D., of Shellman, Ga., was born in Campbell County, Tenn., January 9, 1847.  His parents are Sampson D. and Mary A. H. (Simpson) Bridgman, both of Campbell County, Tenn.  Samuel D. moved to Harris County, Ga., in 1864, thence to Randolph County, in 1866, thence to Dougherty County, thence to Griffin, Ga., where he died.  He was a farmer and stock-dealer and served in the Confederate service a short time.  He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and a deacon of the Baptist Church for years before his death. 
Benjamin E. was reared in Bradley County, Tenn., and attended the common schools.  In 1863 he joined the Confederate service in Company A, Second Tennessee cavalry as a private and served until the conflict was over.  He then carried on business in Dougherty County, Ga., until 1872, at which time he moved to Randolph County.  In 1875 he commenced to read medicine and in 1882 graduated from the Louisville Medical College. He began practice in Randolph County and is now considered one of the leading physicians in that part of the State.  February 14, 1867, he was married to Miss Eliza C. Phelps, daughter of Judge Zebulon T. and Rhoda (Johnston) Phelps, of Shellman, Ga.  To their marriage are born three children, viz.: Nellie V., Maggie V. and Benjamin L.  Mr. Bridgman is a member of the F. and A. M. and the Baptist Church.
[Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]

ATTAWAY, SHELBY
SHELBY ATTAWAY, a young but rising and well-to-do attorney of Cartersville, Bartow County, Ga., was born in Arkansas, January 2, 1860.  His father, William S. Attaway, is a native of Georgia, and for a number of years was engaged in mercantile pursuits, but of late years has devoted himself to agriculture.  He married Miss Jane E. Henderson, a native of Bartow County, Ga., and a daughter of O. E. Henderson, who was born in South Carolina and was a highly intelligent gentleman and successful farmer.  Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Attaway, four are living—D. O., Shelby, Uliah and Geneva.
Shelby Attaway was but eighteen months of age when his parents returned from Arkansas to Georgia.  At a suitable age he attended the common schools and in due course entered Dahlonega College.  He then read law with Graham & Foute, of Cartersville, and M. R. Stansell, and in May, 1879, was admitted to the bar.  He first located at Fort Payne, Ala., where he practiced about six months and also served as county solicitor.  He then returned to Cartersville, Bartow County, Ga., where his talents are fully appreciated, and where the future for him is full of promise.
[Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]

Saylor, B. F. A., geologist and mineralogist, of Rome is vice-president of the Gulf States Portland Cement Company, which is developing one of the important industrial enterprises of the South. The company is incorporated under the laws of South Dakota, with a capital stock of $2,500,000, while its mills, at Demopolis, Ala., have at the present time a daily capacity of 2,400 barrels of Portland cement. Mr. Saylor, who has been a resident of Georgia since 1888, is thoroughly schooled in a theoretical and practical way in his technical professional lines. He was for several years identified with the Pottstown Iron Company, in Potts­ town, Pa., took a literary and scientific course in Muhlenburg college, and later a scientific course in Lehigh university. He has the degrees of Mining Engineer and Civil Engineer, and is a member of the American Institute of mining engineers. In 1891 Mr. Saylor took up the development of the bauxite deposits in Floyd and adjoining counties. He secured control of the properties required and then effected the organization of a company to carry forward the work of development,-the Pittsburg' Reduction Company, which opened the mines on the Barnsley estate in Bartow county. Since this initial work a number of mines have been acquired in Georgia and Alabama, the properties being owned by the Dixie Bauxite Company, which was organized through the efforts of Mr. Saylor, who is superintendent and general manager. He also organized the Rome Petroleum and Iron Company, which was capitalized for $1,000,000, the stock being held principally by Chicago capitalists, and was made president and general manager. The company acquired leases on oil land, bored two wells near Rome, one making a good showing of oil, and is engaged in the extensive development of iron properties in Cleburne county, Ala. Mr. Saylor disposed of his interests in the concern some time ago and in 1904 organized the Gulf States Portland Cement Company, and this corporation will do much to further the industrial prestige of the South.
Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form- Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz

Biography for Francis S. Bartow

Francis S. Bartow, born in Savannah on September 6. 1816, graduated from Franklin College in 1835 with high honors. He was a law student in the office of Hon. John M. Berrien and married his daughter, Louisa G. Berrien; he attended the Yale law school and was admitted to the Bryan superior court, in Savannah, in 1837. He had a lucrative and popular practice. He was a member of the general assembly from Chatham county from 1841, and in 1861 was a member of the Confederate Congress in which he served as chairman of the military committee. He was an instructor and captain of the Oglethorpe Light Infantry, which was organized in 1856 and which participated in the seizure of Fort Pulaski on January 3, 1861. With this company he proceeded to Virginia, where he was promoted colonel of the 8th Georgia Regiment and later brevetted a brigadier-general of the 17th and 8th Georgia Regiments. When Bartow and his gallant company went to Virginia, after the refusal of Governor Brown to allow their services there, they were equipped with guns which Governor Brown claimed belonged to the State of Georgia. In an exchange of letters between Governor Brown and Captain Bartow over this matter, Bartow wrote in one of these letters the famous line, "I go to illustrate Georgia."

During the battle of First Manassas, General Bartow, commanding the brigade consisting of the 7th, 8th, 9th Georgia, and the 1st Kentucky Regiments, dashed up to General Beauregard, the commanding officer and asked, "General, what can my brigade do now, and if mortal effort can accomplish it, we will."

General Beauregard, pointing to a stone wall from which cannon was pouring on the Confederates, said, "That battery should be silenced."

General Bartow waving his hat, cried, "Boys, follow me!" While leading this charge his horse was shot from under him, and, mounting another, continued his charge. It was after a few minutes when he seized the colors of his regiment from a falling wounded bearer, that a Federal bullet pierced his heart and he was caught in the arms of Col. Lucius J. Gartrell. He lived long enough to say, "Boys, they have killed me, but never give up the field!"

General Bartow was buried in Laurel Grove cemetery in Savannah and a granite memorial marks his grave.

His mother, Mrs. Frances L. Bartow, had a home at Cave Springs, Floyd county, Georgia, and after her son's death, she came back to her Floyd county home*.

Source: The history of Bartow County : formerly Cass. Cartersville, Ga.: Cunyus, Lucy Josephine Printed by Tribune Pub. Co., c1933.


 

©Genealogy Trails