Georgia Genealogy Trails
"Where your Journey Begins"
Camden, one of the original eight
counties, was formed in 1777 from St. Andrews Parish, and is one of the
most interesting of all the counties visited. Jeffersonton, the
original county seat, was burned soon after the Civil War, and the
rescued records were somewhat damaged. The old frame Court House at St.
Marys is valuable chiefly as a relic, and the lack of space in it must
be largely responsible for the unkempt condition of the remnants.
A concrete vault was being built just
outside of the Clerk's office, and probably by now the precious old
books and papers are at least safe from fire. In the office of the
Ordinary are a lot of loose leaves of land plats, or grants, that are
very old, dilapidated and interesting, as well as a recently bound
book, entitled "Camden County Field Notes, 1796 -1816," containing a
book plate of the DeRenne Library. This book has been recently returned
to Camden county, and, it is to be hoped, if other missing county
records are in private hands, they will be turned over to the counties.
In this book there are some very early deeds, one in 1763, being made
by the Governor of South Carolina for land on the Altamaha River.
Several old books of Minutes of the Inferior Court are in bad condition
and should be reclaimed.
The oldest book of wills is Book "A,"
1791 to 1827, about 350 pages, which is not indexed and nearly falling
to pieces. This book also has, scattered through it, a number of
marriage licences. Book "B" of wills was burned with the Court House at
In the Clerk's office some of the
oldest deed books, beginning 1788, have lately been rebound, and there
is a rather dilapidated General Index to the deed books up to "H."
Later deeds are in good condition and well indexed.
Besides the old court records at St
Marys, the Minutes of the old Presbyterian Church, beginning 1807, and
the register of baptisms beginning 1842, are still preserved and cared
for by the widow of a former minister of the church. The old cemetery,
too, full of beautiful oaks that shade many moss-grown tombs of finest
marble, shows that people from all parts of the country, including
Revolutionary soldiers and sailors, were buried there.
Wills and Administrations in Book "A," 1791 to
1827. (No Index.)
Capt. William Roddy
William Gorman, Jr.
James Nickles Wright
John Arnold M. A.
Evan E. Much
Ann Graham (Wid)
Daniel Sharp Delany
Dr. John Ross
John C Nightingale
Geniveve B. Richards
Jno. Ripley Madison
James C. Dilworth
John Bailey, Sr.
Joseph S. Hodges
William H. Williams
Source: Joseph Habersham Historical
Copyright © Genealogy Trails