Georgia Genealogy Trails

"Where your Journey Begins"

Drury Banks fought for Liberty while living with his young family in Chatham Co NC. He was born in 1754 in Brunswick Co VA, and moved to NC with his parents. When he was 18, Drury Banks served in Capt. John Montgomery’s Colonial NC Militia (Sept 1772). In 1780, he volunteered for 3 months with Capt. William Gage’s horse troop in the American Revolution (pension app R475). On 31 Oct 1783, he received pay for his services in the NC Continental Line (Hillsboro auditor’s office, Voucher 5711).  He relocated to SC, where his brother had been  established before the War, and was registered in Abbeville Co for the first census of the new nation in 1790.  Before 1800, Drury Banks was trading in the real estate of Warren Co GA. In a 1826 Land Lottery, he gained property in Henry Co GA, later Fayette Co GA after county lines were re-drawn. By 1832, Drury Banks granted two adult sons his holdings in Fayette Co, as he moved to Coweta Co GA with other adult children. An infirmed Drury Banks began his Revolutionary War pension application under the Act of 1832 as a citizen of Coweta Co GA. He gave a deposition on 3 May 1834, and died soon thereafter. The application gave his account of his service only in 1780, along with additional demographic information and supportive testimony. The application was rejected after Drury’s death because it mentioned less than 6 months of service in 1780, and not because of a lack of documented military engagement. The veteran was deceased, and could not appeal by providing proof of military activities in other years. Drury Banks was buried at White Oak Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church beside his wife, the property in 1834 belonging to a Methodist congregation.
Written and Contributed By Sara Jane Overstreet, 4th Great Granddaughter.

 Coweta County Georgia

The Pioneers

There are various statements indicating the presence of white settlers in this region before the Indians ceded it to Georgia, that little extract from an excited Charles J. McDonald's letter, "The whites who have been resident among them, etc.," for one, and, "At the time of sale of the lots in Newnan, there were two squatter settlers in town, Wm. A. Hicks and James Caldwell, both had houses of entertainment for travelers," for another; and somewhere else, one, to the effect, that much of the resentment and grudge felt by the Indians was caused by the Tories and their descendants—half-breeds and outlaws—all of whom hated Georgia and Georgians, who had fled to remoter parts of the Creek country, the outlaws through all years, the Tories after the tide of the Revolutionary war turned in Georgia and the Carolinas in favor of the patriots, and continued to live there to this time of 1825, but only this one item has been found:

Aquila Hardy came in 1825 before the county was organized and rented land from an Indian, in, what is now, the Sixth district. There must have been some 'house of entertainment for travelers' at Bullsboro, or a trading station—some nucleus of a settlement that caused it to be used as the county seat, but nothing explaining its use for a year, and its abandonment for Newnan in 1828, is found. All that is known being this, (And this, from "Acts of the General Assembly: That the place of said election in he County of Coweta shall be at the house of James Caldwell.") from Anderson's "History of Coweta County, 1827." We now come to this year in which the town was settled at a place called Bullsboro, two and one-half miles north-east of Newnan, on the Fayetteville road.

But those squatters, squaw-men and what not, do not belong to the noble race of pioneers whom only Carlyle, writing of the Norsemen, and the Bible phrase, "mighty men of valor," fittingly describe. The spirit, the strength, the courage, the fortitude, the industry, the ingenuity, the resourcefulness, and the other elements that combine to make pioneers, cannot be fully told to those who know nothing of that kind of life. Blessed are those who have known some of them who ruggedly survived to reach the age of eighty, ninety, or one hundred years. Few weaklings came, no records were kept of them. The death rate was high, only the strong could survive the hard life. What is said of the men applies with equal truth to the women; they were worthy of their men. The necessities of that life made them all capable, efficient, intelligent, good seers, good hearers and of great endurance. One of the breed told of plowing and hoeing, on rented land, from dawn to dark, and then cutting down trees, piling and burning brush, clearing up his own land (which he had borrowed money at twenty per cent interest to buy) at night, until ten o'clock. Many of the women helped work the fields, besides doing their housework—cooking, cleaning and washing—and at night spun thread, wove cloth and made all the clothing for the family.

The pioneers lived in tents at first, many of them, and in one-roomed log-cabins, with dirt, or split puncheon floors, one door; the cooking, eating and sleeping all done in the one room. "Nearly all of us going barefooted in summer from necessity—for even those who had money could not find any shoes in the country to buy." Children were rocked in hollow-log cradles. Built-in bedstead—sthat is, holes were bored in the logs on the two walls of one corner, poles stuck in these holes met in others bored in a corner post, a side rail was tacked to the wall, and poles or slats rested on that and the opposite pole—a tick filled with wheat-straw—or any other available—was thrown on those slats and a feather bed on top of that; home woven sheets, blankets, coverlets and pieced quilts; a pot to boil in; an oven, a round iron vessel with a lid, to fry and bake in, (coals put on the heavy iron lid browned the top of the contents, while coals banked under and around its short feet browned the bottom); benches made of a slab, with legs stuck in the rounding-side in auger-holes; maybe a chair or two; a table; a chest—often called "chist"—if they were well-to-do; a flint-lock musket —these summed up the maximum rather than the minimum possessions of furniture. As soon as possible a loom was made, a spinning wheel bought, and the women's biggest job of manufacturing the family clothing began. Some families had no bed-covers and burrowed into piles of straw, to keep warm while they slept. Dry gourds served many purposes: to keep soap and salt in and sugar and coffee—when they had any—and, indeed, practically all the purposes of the paper bags and tin cans of to-day, and for dippers and ladles besides. Some of the gourds were so little they were used only to slip into the heel or toe of a sock to darn over, some would hold a bushel—big fat round ones.

Long-handled ones for water-dippers were grown by hanging the parent vine on the garden fence or across the branch of a tree, the weight of the young gourd stretching it into a long handle with a little round bowl at the blossom end, but they had to be scraped and scrubbed before they were rid of their gourd scent and ready for use.

Their food was such as the forests and streams afforded, with corn products, bread, mush, hominy. Game was plentiful; squirrel could be shot from the cabin door, deer and wild turkey were easily obtainable and the waters teemed with fish. Many had bees; some must have been purchased from the retiring Indians, as they could not take them on their long journey to Indian Territory, but many settlers brought stands from their former homes. These stands were sections of hollow trees—notched at the bottom end for the bees to pass out and in, boards covered the top, held in place by heavy stones—placed in the back or front yard, with, for neighbor, an ash-hopper, a contrivance of a trough three or four feet long, with boards placed in v shape in it, forming a receptacle for ashes, over which water was poured daily, forming, as it filtered through the ashes, a strong lye from which they made their soap. Those having any contact with the Indians doubtless knew many wild plants that were edible. Food, must have been the least of their worries, tools and clothing being far harder to get, but the most trying experience was the loneliness. W. U. Anderson tells that "Men, women and children would walk five miles to a party and back."

At first their light must have been limited to pineknots on the fire, and pine torches in lieu of lanterns or the modern flash light; later they had tallow candles made at home.

In "My Autobiography" Dr. W. J. Cotter describes the country so beautifully that it is quoted here: "I saw that interesting part of the state when all was new—waters in the creeks and rivers as clear as crystal; rich valleys, hills .... covered with thick forest. A land of beautiful flowers—white, pink, yellow and red honeysuckle (azaleas), redbud, dog-wood blossoms, wild roses and many others. The ground was covered with violets, sweet-williams (flocks), and other beauties. There was plenty of wild game—deer, turkey, and other varieties. When first seen, it was in lovely spring and I was nine years old.

"Many and varied were the troubles encountered with the wild animals, bears, panthers, wolves, wild-cats, coons and foxes. I never saw a bear in the woods; but they were numerous and many were killed. I saw a panther three hundred yards from the house. The cattle in the lane scented it and were excited. Panthers killed colts, springing from the limb of a tree. I have often seen the prints of their claws on the colts* backs, and sometimes on grown horses. Wolves howled in hearing .... but never gave any trouble. Standing in the yard, we could hear the foxes barking; coons were nearly as bad as hogs in destroying corn. They began on it before it was in roasting ear.

"The Indians had no dogs but small curs, which were of little account."

From W. U. Anderson;

"Captain John Benton came early. He had lived in Fayette several years, deciding to move to Coweta, he came and cut the logs to build his house, but had to go back to Fayette to bring men to help him raise it, there were so few living in what is now Coweta county. His settlement was on White Oak Creek. The Fayette men liked the country so much that several of them moved over, among others, Joel Johnson and Mrs. Hannah Roberts, who now, 1877, still lives, (though at the age of ninety-four,) and enjoys life. Benjamin Hughes was another early settler from South Carolina. When I learned from what part of the state he came, I asked him if he knew the Butler family, his answer, 'Yes, I knew him well, I was the only boy left when Bloody Bill Cunningham killed Captain Butler and his men; I sprang under a brushheap covered with gourd vines and saw them kill him in cold blood.* This Benjamin Hughes was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and father-in-law of John Benton, who was a soldier of the War of 1812, and a member of the legislature. One of the first churches in the county was White Oak Grove, belonging to the Baptists, near it was one called Smyrna, an early Methodist church.

"On Skinner's Creek lived Howell Elder, the father of S. J. and Wm. H., and near him lived a man named Emery, at whose house court was held; the Squire's name was Hearae, I think. A little farther down lived 'Old Willis Stringer* and a man named Lee; a few miles from them lived the Tidwells, one of whom, Bill, was the county Bully, he was an honest and honorable man, but thought fighting was one of the highest accomplishments of a gentleman.

" 'Old Uncle Sam Gaines' was also an early settler—the one who when drinking soliloquized after this wise, 'There is good whiskey and better whiskey, but no mean whiskey. My man Sam and I love a dram.' Mrs. Haines, a worthy lady, with her sons and daughters came early into this county; some of them still live near the old homestead. Henry Morgan, John Benton and James Miller were three of the men who helped measure the road from Flint river to Newnan— I mean the Gordon road. The people were not well educated like they are now, neither were they so religious or fashionable, but they were kind and honest. All you had to do if you were sick or needed help in any way was to let your neighbors know and they would come to your assistance speedily." 1826.

Only a few items of this year have come to light.   "Britton and John Simms were brought when boys of eight and ten years to this county and left with a trusted negro slave to clear a tract of land while their father returned to their former home to bring the rest of the family." "When James Powell came in 1826, in December, the shed' rooms of his cabin were covered with bark temporarily, making but a leaky roof over the boys of the family who told it long afterward. The place later came to be known as the Parks Arnold place."

This romantic story is told of Ellen Stimpson Peniston Smith, wife of Dr. Ira Ellis Smith: "Over a hundred years ago in historic Peters-burg, Virginia, lived a young woman of such exceptional charms of manner and of culture that she was widely known as "belle of Virginia.*.... Educated in Baltimore, her accomplishments equalled her personal charm so it was no wonder that she should have many lovers. Admiring friends gave a party in her honor. During the evening one young man showed her such marked attention that her escort be-came jealous and challenged his rival to fight a duel. The next day the word came to Ellen that both men had been killed. A sad shock to her, though she loved neither of them.

"In old Blandford churchyard both men, Adams and Boisseau, were buried. Old Blandford is of Colonial Virginia, and unique in several ways: The heroes of four wars sleep there—the Revolution,-25,000 Confederates, men who fought in 1812, and before that in Canada; a British officer is buried there said to be the only one till the World War, buried on foreign soil; and two duels have been fought there. Petersburg has planted a memorial avenue of trees to the Petersburg men who fell in the World War, with a bronze marker at the foot of every alternate tree.

"Ellen Stimpson Peniston and Dr. Ira E. Smith were married in 1821 in Virginia, removing to the large plantation in Coweta, near Newnan, about the time the county was organized. Here, the name 'flower of Georgia,* was given her in love and admiration.'* Told by her sister in her ninety-second year. 1827.

Of this year and of Bullsboro, first county seat, only a few items axe known. The holding of the first term of Superior court for Coweta county by Judge Walter T. Colquitt and the first election ordered by the Legislature for the first Monday in May 1827, "that resulted in the choice of James Hicks, John Guddice, John Underwood, Dyer and Caleb Fields as Judges of the Inferior court; Benjamin Easley, Sheriff; John S. Beavers, Clerk Superior court; J. Pollard, Clerk Inferior court; John Fleming, R. T. Returns and Josephus Echols, Tax Collectors; Charles Cleghorn, County Surveyor. Andersons History of Coweta county contains the names of the jurymen of the court and continues:

"Members of the Legislature were elected on the first Monday in October. James Hicks was elected Senator; George Pentecost, Representative."

Andrew J. Berry came from South Carolina and opened a store. Grierson (Grayson) trail had been widened and made into a regular road from Grierson's Landing, on the Chattahoochee close to the mouth of New river, to Bullsboro and eastward, and settlers were coming into the new county almost in droves.

A family sketch of Captain James W. Anderson in "Memoirs of Georgia," contains the statement that his father, "William U. Anderson, was born in Coweta county in 1808," which can not be correct, though he may have been born in the Creek country, that later became Coweta county. That he was one of the very early citizens of the county he tells in his "History of Coweta County," that is highly prized by all who possess a copy. "Henry Morgan and his son-in-law, Henry Urquahart, came in the year 1827 and bought land and settled on a small creek which they named 'Sandy.' " "Caleb Cook settled in the Sixth district, later building the first two-story house painted white in the county. Miss Jane Atkinson, a school teacher from Virginia, designed the carving on the mantels, which are works of art very creditable for that day and frontier buildings."

Macedonia Baptist church was constituted August 20, by Rev. James Reeves and Rev. Cyrus White, with Allen Gay, Revolutionary soldier, Ann Gay, Nicholas Dyer, Moses Kelly, Moses Shelley, Wm. Bullard, Deborah Doster, Elizabeth Dyer, Sarah Jennings, Martha Haney, and Harriet Dyer, members.

The first jail of the county is said to have been a hollow poplar tree, but whether it was at Bullsboro or Newnan the item does not tell. Zach Williamson, of the Fourth district, was said to be the first white child born in the county, Elizabeth Houston, the first girl. 1828.

The regular, every two years, State election came the first Monday in January for all county officials except tax collectors and tax receivers, who were elected every year. Bradley Bell was elected sheriff; Wm. A. Hicks, clerk Superior court; Sihon House, clerk Inferior court; John Fleming, tax receiver; Silas Reynolds, tax collector; surveyor re-elected; Wiley Jones, coroner. The county treasurer was appointed by the court and there was no such official as the ordinary; the Inferior court transacted that business.

Inscription on the bronze tablet of the boulder marking the site of the lost town of Bullsboro: 1826


Coweta county's first seat of government, was located here the first Superior Court was organized by Judge Walter T. Colquitt and presided over at this place in 1827.

In 1828 the county seat was changed to Newnan. Marked by the Sarah Dickinson Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1925

The town of Newnan was located in February 1828, and the lots sold on March 25th, prices ranging from $40.00 to $611.50, according to size and location. It was given the name of Newnan in honor of General Daniel Newnan.

General Daniel Newnan

The following facts about General Daniel Newnan were collected by Rev. W. J. Cotter:

In Rowan County, N. C, the will of his fathee was recorded with the date, 1805. His father was Dr. Anthony Newnan, and his brothers named in the will, John, Hugh and Montgomery. Two deeds made by Daniel Newnan, one to a lot in Salisbury, N. C, to Hugh Newnan, dated April 28, 1806, of Green County, Ga.; the other to Peter Hildebrand, February 17, 1817, from Darnel Newnan of Putnam county, Ga., are on record in Salisbury, N. C.

From the Librarian of Congress, comes this information:

"Daniel Newnan was born in North Carolina about 1780.  He was commissioned Ensign and Second Lieutenant in the Fourth U. S. Infantry, March 3, 1790, was promoted to be First Lieutenant the following November, and resigned January 1, 1801."   He commanded Georgia volunteers, as Captain of Militia, in two actions with the East Florida Indians in September and October, 1812; was conspicuous in an attack on the Autossee towns of the Creek Indians, under General John Floyd, November 2, 1818, and was promoted to lieutenant-colonel.  The following month he was severely wounded in an engagement with the Creeks at Camp Defiance, in what is now Elmore County, Alabama, under the same general. After the war he resided on his plantation near McDonough, in Henry County, Georgia, and was made Adjutant-General of State militia, by the Legislature in 1812. On November 13, 1813, it was resolved by the General Assembly that the Governor be requested to transmit to General Newnan the brevet commission of brigadier-general.   During the expedition against the Indians, a clerk was elected to his office and he was to retain the salary as Adjutant-General, but he only received pay as brigadier-general, while in the service.   In January, 1814, he was given a vote of thanks by the General Assembly for the courage, patriotism and fortitude manifested in his service against the Creeks.  On November 8, 1817, he was elected by the Legislature, and commissioned by the Governor as major-general of State militia, third division. On December 12, 1823, he was elected Principal Keeper of the Penitentiary. On November 24, 1825, he was elected by the Legislature to the office of Secretary of State.  He was elected to Congress as a State's Right Democrat and served from March 5, 1831, to March 5, 1833. He died in Walker County, (now  ____atoosa,) Georgia, January 16, 1851, near the Tennessee line, twelve Miles east of Rossville and a mile or two from the Chicamauga be___  __eld.   He died on Peavine Ridge, three miles from his grave.  ___ad gone to that section for his health. When death came b___ alone in the house.   He was buried at Newnan Springs and ____ made around his grave was destroyed some years later by a forest fire leaving the grave unmarked. The place is en-tirely in the woods—no town near, but a small Methodist Church close by. About seven acres of land is covered by the Newnan Springs. Nearby is General Newnans old home with the Lombardy poplars standing in the yard. A town site in Pike County (but in 1825 the county was reduced in size and the site cut off) and Newnanville, were named for him.

Many efforts have been made to learn if he left any family, but without avail.

In 1917 the city council of Newnan authorized Dr. Cotter and Edward S. Buchanan to go to Walker County and find the grave of General Newnan in order to properly mark it or to remove the remains to a resting place in the cemetery of his namesake town; they were successful in finding the grave, but owing to the confusion of that war period the plan to mark or move the grave was abandoned.

There is a record in some old book that General Newnan tried to promote silk culture in Henry County.

The list of names of those drawing land in the Coweta county lottery is said to have been written by him, then Secretary of State. The penmanship is remarkably beautiful there though his signature on the land grant pictured on the opposite page does not prove it.

The first baby born in Newnan was William Potts Nimmons. The members of the first Methodist church organized in Newnan: Reverend Simeon L. Stephens, pastor; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Wittich, Mr. and Mrs. Higgins, Mrs. Davis and son Nathan, Mrs. Cooper and sister. Miss. C. Echols, both sisters of Mrs. Dougherty, members. Corn was sold and delivered for fifteen cents a bushel. The first frame house built in Newnan by Silas Reynolds now known as the Posey place.

Prosper Johnson, a negro, brought his mistress and the money from the sale of thirty negroes from one of the older counties cutting a road as they came.

Bethel Baptist church was organized June 9, with nine members, Reverends James Reeves and John Wood, who accepted the pastorate until December 1829, being present. Ebenezer Baptist church was organized June 10, eight miles east of Newnan, on the Fayetteville road, with eleven members: William M. Stokes, William H. Stokes, Joel Nickolls, Berry Waldrop, Jane Stokes, Anna B. Stokes, Sarah Nickolls, Patsy Davis with Stokes' Lucy and Amy, Davis' Violet and Penn's Charity colored members. Reverend John Wood was chosen pastor. From an old book of minutes is taken the following:

"The following is the Constitution of the Baptist Church at New-nan, Coweta County, organized on the 11th of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty-eight.

"We the scattered members of the Baptist Church in said county near the head of Wahoo Creek being convinced of the propriety of being constituted into churches for the purpose of keeping house for God and watching over each other for good have this day set forth our faith in the following articles:

"1st. We believe in a father, son and Holy Ghost and yet there is but one God.

"2nd. That the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the word of God and the only rule of faith and practice.

"3d. In the fall of Adam and the corruption of human nature and the impotency of man to recover himself by his own free will ability.

"4th. In the everlasting love of God to his people and the doctrine of election, effectual calling and final perseverance of the saints in Grace and that this was a covenant of Grace between the Father and Son ere time began in which their salvation is secured.

"5th. That sinners are justified in the sight of God only by the righteousness of Christ imputed to them.

"6th. Good works are the fruits of faith and follow after justifies tion and that only justify us in the sight of men.

"7th. That there will be a resurrection of the dead and a genera Judgment and that the happiness of the righteous and the punishmen of the wicked will be eternal." it

Gospel Order.

"1st. That Jesus Christ is the great head of the church and onlj Law giver and that the government is with the body and is the privilege of each individual member and that the Discipline of the Gospel is intended for those members who are Disorderly either in faith ot practice and must be faithfully kept up for the glory of God and the peace of the Church.

"2nd. That water Baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordinances of the gospel to be continued till the Lord's Second Coming and to be administered only by orderly Baptist ministers regularly ordained. And believers in Christ are the only subjects of Baptism and that immersion is the only mode and that regularly Baptized persons only have a right to the Lord's Supper.

"We, the undersigned subscribe our names to the above articles of faith as being ours and do covenant with each other to keep house for God, watch over each other for good for the glory of God and the mutual happiness of each other.

Male Members: -Female Members: Randal Robinson, -Fereby Robinson, Peter Duncin. -Mariah Pinkard. Sam. D. Echols.- Sarah, woman of color. -Silla, woman of color."

From Anderson's History of Coweta County: "At the time of the sale of lots in Newnan there were two squatter settlers in town, Wm. A. Hicks and James Caldwell, they both had houses of entertainment for travelers. Jacob L. and James A. Abrahams had a log cabin in the square with a store;" these were all. William U. Anderson purchased a lot, and one month later, moved to Newnan, finding it "improved with the following settlements and citizens: Clark A. Rooney, with a store where the First National Bank now is; Thomas Roney, first post master; Wm. Ix>w, Wm. W. Barrett, Wm. Nimmons, Willis Kilgore, Richard M. Hackney, David Wright, Jeremiah L. Cheatham, Peter Hilton, John 0. and Charles Dickson, carpenters; Winchester Dumas as hotel keeper; Wm. Hunt, tailor; Peter Henin, blacksmith shop with Peter Mercer as foreman, and a negro blacksmith; also Peter. James Hutchinson with a store on the west side of the square. Lawyers: Wm. Daniel, John M. Thomas, James Thompson, Josephus Echols; Doctors:   James M. Lyons, J. Palmore, Levi T. Wellborn."

Anderson erected a blacksmith shop on the lot the old jail now occupies. Wm. Salsbury and John Willson, a mason; Kellers & McGilvary opened the fourth store, the next month; Robert Davis & J. Stewart with their steam saw mill, called a whip saw, could easily get out 500 feet of lumber a day.

Later in the year Joseph Williams came and a brick mason named King, from Tennessee; William and Stephen Hayes, carpenters; William Terry bought out Dumas* hotel; Dumas settled the old Fisher lot and opened another hotel, having a large wooden goose for a sign. Terry sold his hotel shortly to "that prince of hotel keepers, John Dougherty," and bought a house where the Virginia House now stands. Peter Herrin bought an interest in Hick's hotel (Hicks & Herrin) making four in the place.

Dr. Palmore taught the first school in the court house on the square in a log house.


Both the First and Sixth districts are credited with the first organization of Methodist churches, by Rev. W. W. Stegall of Fayette county. The one in the First was called Tranquil, the one in the Sixth is not identified but was organized in February with Rev. Willis D. Matthews as preacher (circuit rider). The first sermon preached in Newnan is credited to Rev. Dabney P. Jones, it was delivered in the log court-house. The Newnan Methodist church was organized this year but the records have not been found to give the date. The Presbyterians organized June 28, near Bullsboro with Reverend Messrs. Chamberlain and Richards as organizers.

About this time Colonel Zachariah Phillips, James Clemmons and Thomas A. Latham, lawyers, settled in Newnan. Joseph Shaw, Senator, and Anthony North, Representative, were elected in October to the Legislature that cut off from Coweta county the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth districts—except two ranges of land lots on their south sides—to Campbell county.

Daniel Morgan moved into the First district from Newberry District, South Carolina.

Judge Colquitt opened court with song and prayer. The number of travelers over the roads and Indian trails was very great—so great that one old person related that her father removed from his home on the main road and established another where he would not be called upon so frequently to entertain travelers. Though there was much to risk in taking in strangers, all seem to have taken the risk to a certain extent, protecting themselves from danger by having the guest room out in the yard, a separate structure from the host's dwelling house. Several of these guest houses are still shown in 1926. Jacob L. Abrams was elected Colonel (of militia) and Andrew J. Berry, Major, but Governor Forsyth refused to commission them, for the reason that he did not know that the population entitled the county to a Colonel. He ordered an election for Major, and Nicholas Dyer was elected, but learning that the county was entitled to a Colonel he ordered an election for one and another Major; Wenston Wood was elected Colonel and Abraham Roberts, Major, but both soon moved away.


At the election of this year, the first Monday in January, Samuel D. Echols, Christopher B. Brown, Benaiah McLendon, Dr. Levi T. Wellborn and Nicholas Dyer were elected Judges of the Inferior Court, (and in March the first recorded court held,) Sihon House elected clerk, John Fleming, Tax Receiver, Silas Reynolds, Tax Collector. Courthouse erected This court let the contract for building the in 1829. courthouse; awarding  it to  Captain William Hitchcock, who by vigorous work completed it in the year. His head mason. Captain John D. Brown, and head carpenter, Mercer Babb, both became citizens of Newnan afterward. Captain Hitchcock was one of the foremost contractors of that time, about twenty courthouses in the State were built by him.

The academy was completed and ready for school purposes within the year and Colonel W. B. W. Dent was the first teacher, but for only a short time, the Reverend W. Eming, a Presbyterian minister, com-pleting the year, in his stead; leaving for the North at the close.

Lawyer Thomas A. Latham removed to Campbellton; but James G. Lyle, John Ray, William B. Cobb and William B. Pryor, all lawyers, came in.

Historian Anderson adds, after giving these names, "and will be mentioned hereafter; 1 will say to our lawyer friends, as the boy said to his mother when he returned from the muster, and was asked if he fired his gun as the others did; he said, 'No, I was afraid, but I loaded every time the others did.' His mother told him to give her the gun, she would show him she was not afraid—raised the gun to her shoulder and fired to be kicked over flat on her back. The boy cried, 'Lay still, ma, there is seventeen more loads to come yet!* So our lawyers may lie still, there are seventy-five more coming before we get them all in."

"Of the doctors: Joel W. Terrell, Wheeler Randall, William P. Echols became citizens of Newnan this year. James M. Lyons moved to West Point, J. Head settled in the First District.

"Winchester Dumas opened a store along with his hotel, but failed before the year ended. Other merchants opening up were Earnest L. Whittick, and Samuel McJunkin, Mr. A. Clark, of the firm of Clark & Roney, left for Campbell, Dennis Sullivan taking his place with Roney.   A. J. Berry moved over from Bullsboro in the fall.

"The first marriage in Newnan was that of Richard M. Hackney and Milly Ann Griggs; John E. Robinson and Mary Wingfield, the second; and Judge Keeler and Ann Stokes in March.

"The first saloon was opened by Minor W. Harris, a saddler's shop by Samuel Keller, but he was enticed away to Campbellton by the expectation of steam boats running to that place; the first boot and shoe shop was opened by Willard and William Bradley. Two more tailors, Angus Mclver and Charles Nelms; one painter, the first, Richard W. East came in, but William Salsbury sold his brick yard to Captain Hitchcock and moved to Columbus. Colonel George Pentecost and his bride; Williamson Pentecost, of Palmetto, moved in.

"Sameul D. Echols was elected Senator; Dr. Levi T. Wellborn, Representative, in October.

"Levi Willcoxon bought the Herrin and Hicks hotel and became a citizen here.

"George Edward Smith came to bring hands to clear land and build cabins for his uncle, Dr. Ira E. Smith, and, after taking the wagon back, returned afoot to drive cattle, receiving twenty-five cents a da> wages, from two well-to-do men moving from Oglethorpe county; beginning the battle of life unaided save by his energy, resolution and sagacity."

The grand jury among other presentments had this: "We present as a grievance the neglect of our public officers to bring to justice those persons who violate our laws in their presence; the melancholy and recent fate of one of our citizens who was ushered from time into eternity with-out a moment's warning—unprepared and unexpectedly sent to his long home."

Ten presentments were made for fighting, one for "retailing spirituous liquors on Sunday, July 12, without license."

Rev. James Reeves, one of the indefatigible pioneer preachers helping to organize many churches in this and surrounding counties, deserves mention for his zeal in preaching the gospel that meant so much to him, in homes, rude school houses, and, even, by the roadside, for the love of Christ and welfare of souls, without pay or promise of it, content to support himself by fanning and give his ministry to all who would heed.

Holly Springs Church, nine miles south of Newnan, on the Greenville road was organized May first, with nine members. Ministers present were Reverends John G. Fry, elected pastor; and John Gillcoat.

From an old "Secretary's Book to record the minutes of the Lodge, Andrew J. Berry, Sec'ty.," on the inside of the front cover, with "Georgia Coweta County Newnan AL5829", without punctuation, in a line below; the property now (1926) of H. E. Ragland of Newnan. The first record, February 10, A L 5829 (1829), begins, "At a regular meeting of Burns Lodge," showing that the lodge had been organized sometime in the first year of Newnan's history. At this meeting were, John McKnight, W. M.; Levi T. Wilborn, S. W.; Wm. A. Hicks, J. W.; John McGilvary, Sec'ty. pro tern; James Holdstock, Tyler; but it is signed by "John Vinyard, Sec'ty. protem."

New members were added at each meeting, Andrew J. Berry, Wm. A. Hunt, John T. Leftwich, Wm. W. Barratt, Richard W. East, Thomas Steward, Benjamin B. Peck, John Powel, Leroy Curry, T. L. Hicks, Wm. P. Echols, Wm. B. W. Dent, John Caldwell, and Charles Cleghorn, John D. Brown, King W. Perry, Carrington Knight, Jacob L. Abrahams, Wm. B. Lowry, Wheeler Randall, Charles Wakefield, Thomas A. Latham, Silas Reynolds, John Dougherty, Dennis Sullivan, Robert Martin, George Wakefield, Julius Alford, Angus Mclver, Uriah Glass, Giles S. Boggers, Amos Helton, John Long (of Carroll County), Wm. M. Rodgers, Michael Ford, Wm. Eubank, being added in a year.

Their "annual sermon was preached by Rev. Carter."


"Officials elected the first Monday in January: Daniel Whitaker* Sheriff; William A. Hicks, Clerk, Superior Court; Zachariah Chandler, Tax Collector; George Pentecost, County Surveyor; M. Dickson, Coro-ner; the others were re-elected. On Sunday night before the election one of the candidates made a regular barbecue and that secured his election.

"The second saloon was opened by Benton Walton. James Wood brought a stock of goods belonging to Benjamin Barber, and opened a store in Newnan; others opened were by Isham S. Ramey, John W. Pentecost, Herbert C. Raimey, WiUlard Fisher, George Scott; in the country: Turentine & Cheek and Thomas Watson in the Third District; B. O. and T. M. Jones, on Line Creek; John H. Johnson in the Seventh District; Hugh Brewster in the Sixth; with Charles Tolliver, Owen H.  Kencn, Thomas White and others, locations not specified. A lawyer, John T. Leftwick, came and later married........................Lane, a music teacher in town; two doctors, W. P. Rainey and Jeremiah Bell; three carpenters, Thomas and Signa Moore and James Holsack; another blacksmith, Wilshen L. Shipp; hatters' shop, by Robert Shipp and Dr. Lowery.   The population was added to by A. P. Hunter and family; Colonel Thomas P. Hudson, Joel Hick, Mrs. Pryor................... Hicks—father of all Hicks—Thomas Cooper, Samuel Hutchinson,........................Taylor.   Samuel McJunkin, a merchant, but never a citizen, had for clerks, Thomas and J. Cummis, King W. Perry, J. J. Pinson; Elkany Denson, who opened a cake shop, then a regular business; Charles Wheelan, a tailor; and an old traveling tailor, named Keber, made visits along through the years.

John McKnight, Senator and John Terry, Representative, were elected in October. This Legislature cut off part of the Third and Fourth Districts to Heaid county, taking the Sheriff and an Inferior Court Judge.

While new citizens came in, others left.

Anderson tells, "John Huff came this year with three likely negroes, a horse, cart and yoke of oxen, with Abel Harrison as driver of the cart. Huff drank considerably so that, bachelor though he was, his negroes and cart could not keep him up.  Wanting money, he pawned a negro for twenty-five dollars, to work until the money was paid, giving his note—as he thought for the money, but when he went to take up th note and redeem his negro, he was told that he had sold the negr the man producing a bill of sale, all regularly witnessed.   Huff contended that it was not a sale—only a note given for the money, sued, but never recovered his negro.   Getting deeper in debt, he sold his horse, cart and oxen and left for parts unknown and his credit __ to shift as best they could, Abel Harrison, for his eight dollars a ___ wages, with the rest; but he went over to Carroll county, where the ___ fever was raging, rolled up his sleeves and accumulated a handsome property, becoming one of Carroll's representative men."

Josiah Stewart, from Henry county, moved into the lower part of the county, about two miles northeast of where Haralson is now.

Leonard and Caroline Pass Peek and Mrs. Frances Peek, widow of General John Pass, Revolutionary hero, were of those moving into the county.   In the index wjll be found the names of many of the settlers who cannot be placed here as the years of their coming are not known. The Methodists built a new church on a lot in the rear of what is now 31 Wesley Street. It was very small, about thirty feet square, but that little pioneer congregation rejoiced in it with Rev. Richard I. Winn as their pastor for the year.

M. M. H. vs. E.F. In the Inferior Court, Case for malicous prosecution.

In consideration of E. F.'s giving to the plaintiff one Cow and Calf, a Sow with Pigs, a Two Dollar Note, and paying M. M. H.'s wife for two days' attendance in Newnan, and the Attorney's fee, which is paid by notes, it is agreed that the above case be entered settled.

Dec. 9th, 1830.
Plaintiff's Attorney.

At a meeting April 24th, the Newnan Baptists agreed to raise a sub-scription to build a meeting house sixty by forty feet to be propor-tioned and finished in such a manner as the committee may .think proper; and further agreed that John Wood, Samuel D. Echols, R. B. Wooten, Joel W. Terrell, John D. Hinton, Dennis Sullivan, Henry Keller, Wm. A. Hicks and John McKnight be the committee for the same.

May 29th, "To build a Baptist meeting house on lot No. 40 in the ?5th district, Coweta county, lying due north of the public square or town of Newnan, on the south part of said lot so as to embrace the two in streets leading north from the public square and a spring on the ___t side of the road leading to Campbellton."

The church further agrees that they require of brother Salsbury 15 ___ of land for the benefit of said church, to build the church on." ___w for the working of the public roads of the county was passed, ___e Masons celebrated St. John's Day, June 24, with a dinner at John Dougherty's for which they paid $1.50 for each plate, out of the funds of the lodge.   "Brother Lanier," whether a minister or not, is not stated in the old book of minutes, was the speaker of the day.

Names added to their roll, Wiley G. Parks, Clayton Williams, Thomas R. H. Poteet, Batty H. Mitchell, Wm. T. Williamson, Charles Whelan, Samuel B. Hutchinson, Mordecai C. Howard, Zachariah Phillips. Andrew Craig.

Newnan Baptist Church welcomed the second meeting of the West-ern Association of Baptist churches, sixteen churches having formed it November 7, 1829, at LaGrange, but grown by this meeting to thirty-two churches and the membership of them from 495 to 1,143. Rev. John Wood served as clerk.   Rev. J. Bankston, moderator.

Among many families moving into the county this year these names are recorded:  Robert, James and William Russell; Robert Y. and James Brown; Abraham and several other Carmichaels; James Thompson; Edward Pass; James and Hosea Gray; James Bexley; Hiram Camp; George Hendrix; Elisha Simms; Richard and Rev. Charles Leavell; Dr. I. E. Smith; George Smith and James Eckless; with several of each of the following names:   "Youngs, Lessleys, Stewarts, Hunters, Brysons, Tolberts, Chalners and Bowers—all psalm-singing Presbyterians, descendants of the Scotch-Irish of County Down, and Antrim, Ireland, who came to South Carolina during the early days of its settlement, finding homes in Abbeville, Newberry and Laurens Districts, who settled the White Oak community."'

Miss Nora Page, of Turin, gave these additional names of early settlers: from South Carolina, Dominicks, Shells, Leavells, Pages, Coles, Summers, Linchs, Tenchs, Eddys, Couchs and Sibleys; from Brunswick county, Virginia, settling in the Sixth district, Goodwins, Parks, Baileys, Smiths, Griffins, Ragsdales, Overbys, Hunnicutts, Atkinsons, Cooks, Glass, Norths, Wynnes; from Lexington county, South Carolina, settling around the present town of Haralson, Rawls, Swygerts, Bedenbaughs, Grays.


Henry Keller elected Sheriff, January 1, to replace D. Whittaker, cut off into Heard county, and other officers re-elected. One lawyer added to the bar, J. Howard; two doctors, Bell and Rainey, moved elsewhere; three new stores—two Cowans, a Willcoxen and a McGilvany. James Wood bought out Sullivan and Roney, Sullivan moved to Columbus, Roney, fleeing his creditors, to parts unknown, James Wood becoming the second postmaster. Thomas W. Bolton bought Terry's hotel, his nephew, Dr. H. L. Lestergett, moving to Newnan to take charge of it. Benton Walton sold his saloon to George E. Smith, building another—making three in town besides, being the custom of the time, all stores kept liquor for sale. John S. Story (two, a senior and junior) and Wm. M. Storey and Peter Hurston, all blacksmiths, moved in. Several families moved away, but many more came in, settlements being made in all parts of the county.

The Baptist Church was incorporated and the Act recorded in their minutes:   "An Act to incorporate the Baptist Church near Newnan, in the County of Coweta."

William Salisbury, Randal Robinson, Samuel D. Echols, Richard B. Woo ten and Joel W. Terrell were elected trustees for 1831. In June the church in conference "Agreed that the trustees call on the justices of the Inferior Court for a title to Lot No. 76 (whereon the old Baptist Church formerly stood)." In July they had the desired deed in conference and vested the trustees with power to sell said lot privately and, if necessary, on time. All the churches were given lots. ( But they did not ask for the deeds until after they had occupied the lots for several years and built second church house.)

Brother Salsbury yielded the land—or ten acres of it—that his church "required" of him in April 1830, and his deed has several in-teresting points as may be noted from the following:

"That the said William Salisbury, for and in consideration of the sum of One Dollar to him in hand paid at and before the sealing and delivery of these presents by the said Trustees (as of love and good will towards the success and advancement of the religion of the Lord Jesus Christ) hath devised, and granted, and by these presents doth devise and grant unto the said Trustees of the Newnan Church and their successors in office, for the use of the Baptist denomination of the State of Georgia (holding to the following articles of faith, towit:

(The articles of faith are omitted as they were given in connection with the organization of the church.)

All that tract or parcel of land contained in the following boundaries towit: Commencing at the stake standing west from Jackson Street near its mouth on the north part of Newnan, thence running east seven chains to a pine stake, thence north thirteen chains and eighty-four links to a black-jack corner, thence west seven chains to a post-oak corner and from thence to the place of beginning containing ten acres to the same, more or less.

To have and to Hold all and singular the said primises unto the said Trustees and their successors in office for the use of the Baptist Denomination may and will use the same and occupy the said dscribed premises for the public worship of Almighty God; provided always that these presents are upon the following conditions, towit: That if it shall happen that the said Trustees of the Newnan Church, or their successors in office, for the use of the Baptist Denomination of the State of Georgia, shall change their above Articles of Faith, or shall covenant and dispose of the aforesaid premises for any other purposes than those herein mentioned, then and from thenceforth, in either of those cases it shall and may be lawful to and for the said William Salisbury, his heirs, executors and administrators into and upon the said granted premises in the name of the whole re-enter and the same to have again re-possess and enjoy as in his and their first and former estate and right."

Samuel D. Echols was elected Senator and James Wood Representative."

Reverend Joseph Y. Alexander moved in and took charge of the Academy as teacher at the same time holding the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church. The vacancies for officers of the militia were filled by the election of John W. Pentecost, Colonel, and John Jester, Major.

The musters of the militia were very important events several times a year. Every ablebodied white male citizen between the ages of eighteen and forty-five was subject to military duty.  Sixty-four men constituted a full company; the smallest military division of territory being the captain's district and in this there were four musters a year for drilling, but as the men did not have to wear uniforms, their line was more ludicrous than martial. They were armed with "a musket having a smooth-bore barrel on a rough-and-ready straight stock, with thimbles on the under side of the barrel to hold the ram-rod, and discharged by means of a flint and steel lock which cast a spark into a small metal pan primed with powder which caught the spark, flashing fire into the barrel at the side of the breech through a touch hole, and exploding the charge which had been rammed tightly to the bottom of the barrel; the ball or load of buckshot was thus driven out with the force to do good execution at a hundred yards distance." Once a year there was a regimental muster. Once a year an officers' muster which might continue three days. Many humorous descriptions of the musters were written; every one with a sense of humor found at them ample subject matter for copy. The refreshment stands of those days offered persimmon beer and ginger cakes for sale. Many times these stands were conducted by women—widows usually.

Anderson tells a story illustrating the excitement over gold mine prospects in Carroll county :"A man passed through Newaan on his way to search for a mine, stopping for dinner, and to have his horse shod. After he left the hotel keeper found a paper he had dropped in the hotel, revealing his business, what lot he was after and where the man lived to whom it belonged.

In an hour there was a company formed to beat the stranger to the owner, who lived down on the Florida line, but none of them were willing to undertake the trip. At two o'clock in the evening (afternoon; in those days all called the afternoon 'evening,' and the evening 'night') they went to Anderson's blacksmith shop with a fine tale and a fortune ahead, if he would beat the other man to the owner of the lot, in Decatur county, with a promise of a full share for his service, if he succeeded. He agreed, if he could buy a certain mare, in town, to try. The owner of the mare would not part with her for Such a trip, but all were determined not to be defeated. One of the men had a good old horse, the owner said to take and be off, which Anderson did by four o'clock . Had supper at Greenville, breakfast at Talboton, stopping the next night a hundred miles from Newnan. The old horse distanced the man over a hundred miles, but said man had heard of his competitor and, more important, that the owner of the land lot had moved so he turned back to hunt him up.

Anderson reached the former home of the man he was seeking before learning of his removal, and, undeterred, started in pursuit to Laurens county, but learning on the way, that the first man had three days start of him, turned homeward, like all other gold hunters, minus time of his long ride, expenses and prospects.

After Anderson left, others found out what was up, formed another company and the brother of the owner of the lot made a quick trip to see him, finding that the lot had been sold to their brother-in-law, Burch; he tried to buy it of him, offering the grant fee and $25.00 which was accepted.  Resting until Monday, they went to a justice to draw the deed, but man number one was there, and finding there was no deed made, offered $200.00 for the land, the brother offered $300.00. Burch got excited and refused to let any of them have it, but he had not had his deed recorded.   The original owner returned home and made a second deed to his brother from Coweta county, this man hurried to Newnan and made a deed to another, and on to Carroll county had it recorded. The man Burch, came on, looked over the land without getting excited, but as he passed Newnan on his way home, the company having the recorded deed, bought his title for $500.00.   On visiting their property, they were disappointed, but in an effort to make it profitable dug a pit and salted (as it was called) it with gold, returned home and offered to sell out to others of the company, who, after examining the pit, paid the swindlers $1,200.00 for one-half the lot. Careful prospecting and investigation revealed the fraud, and a lawsuit followed that lasted some time. Later the place was settled by a good farmer, who made it better than a gold mine."

Colonel John Dickson, Revolutionary soldier, and elder in the Presbyterian Church, died about his eightieth year.

The Presbyterian Church was given a charter.

The St. John's Day sermon to the Masons, "after a prayer by Rev. J. Y. Alexander, a very appropriate oration was delivered by Brother John T. Leftwich at the Methodist Church."

The two-story house on land lot 26, "the first frame house erected in the Sixth district. All nails made by hand at a blacksmith shop."

King W. Perry, a merchant on Line Creek, moved to Newnan, building a store where the Woolworth is now.

The greatly beloved William Stegall was the Methodists' pastor.

The grand jury pleaded for a court of errors; "so many cases seem so imperfectly considered," and for the division of the Cherokee lands.


James H.. Campbell with a negro workman started the first wagon shop in the county. John and Charles Dickson removed to Greenville. Anderson D. Abrahams went into the ice business, but failed to save a pound for warm weather. Afterward with Jacob L. Abrahams he opened a new store.

The Fourth of July was celebrated with a barbecue and temperance rally. The Rev. Dabney P. Jones made a temperance speech, his first in Major Anderson's opinion, but the beginning of a labor that ended only with his life.

Mrs. Bird, afterward Mrs, Napier of Macon, was assistant teacher to Professor Alexander; "the first female teacher that ever taught in Newnan."

Senator and Representative re-elected and in addition a second, Dr. I. E. Smith, Representative. Mrs. Keller, wife of the Judge, died and there were several marriages, but the fist of those marrying in the county will be found in the index. James Watkins moved in.

From the Masons' minutes: "at the Methodist Church, after a prayer by Rev. Kelly, a very appropriate address by Brother M. C. Howard."


February 7, "The cold Saturday," Wilcox & McGilvary went out of business, George Scott sold out to Phineas and Thomas Moore. Charles Wheeler, tailor, and Dr. Wm. P. Echols moved to Alabama. Dr. Cannon H. Shipp started merchandising in Newnan, and Major Hugh Brewster and Anthony North at the latter's place on the Mcintosh road. John Carrington at the Cross Roads in the First (district), William W. Sellman on Little White Oak. The Willcoxon hotel was rented to Mrs. Phillips and William T. Williamson. David Dukes, the Sheriff, absconded, owing many debts, and leaving his bondsman to settle his defalcations. The First Presbyterian Church was built this year.. Benjamin Barker closed out his business and left. Batty H. Mitchell came and opened the second saddle and harness shop. The members of General Assembly were re-elected at the October elections. The Masons held a reorganization meeting. The county shared in the excitement of the meteoric shower of November the 14th. Five school districts were laid out and the trustees authorized to apportion the Poor School Fund. Parents had to acknowledge themselves to be paupers to get help from it; few would do so.

This year Reverend John D. Fry closed a pastorate of three years at Holly Springs Church, Reverend Berry Holmes succeeded him.

From the presentments of the Grand Jury, "We present as grievance bail-playing against the court house. The bad state of roads. Poorly enforced patrol law. The miserable condition of the streets of Newnan. We ask the judges of the Inferior court to have Franklin (lightning) rods put on the court house and to require those having offices in it, to have glass put in the windows. The latter request suggests the reason for objection to the ball-playing.


Cordial T. Wellborn came from Crawfordville, Ga., and established a buggy and carriage shop.   His little daughter, Sarah, of eight years at the time of his coming, told in her hundredth year, 1926, of this time when every house in Newnan was of logs, and dense forests surrounded the town.   The log schoolhouse was on the public square. Children played making play-houses of sticks and stones, used acorns for cups and saucers, made hats and sashes of leaves pinned together, were happy with grape-vine swings and jumping ropes and gathering wild flowers in spring and summer and nuts in the fall, as all country children in all years have done.  That children got a great thrill from meeting the Revolutionary soldier, William Smith, then living near by. "Children had to help with the housework in those days when all the garments had to be, not only made at home, but the thread and cloth to make them of, had to be made there too"—There was more to it than just the spinning and weaving; the wool and cotton had to be carded into rolls before they could be spun, and quills (bobbins used in weaving) filled before the weaving could begin.   I loved that job at first, but alas! having to do it often made me grow to hate it," another daughter of the pioneers added.

As no record of the Methodists' pastor for 1832 and '33 can be found, and the name of William Stegall appears for this year—1834, this, taken with his reputation as "greatly beloved" is strong evidence that he served the Methodistical limit of four years.

Harrison Sutherland was hanged for killing J. Hillsman; the county's first execution. Other murders had been committed, but accused made their escape in some cases, were acquitted in others.

After teaching school in the county seven years Major Beverly D. Johnson was admitted to the bar to practice in Coweta.

On three acres of land donated by Reverend John S. Bigby, one mile east from the present location of Raymond, Mount Gilead Methodist Church was organized with Rev. W. W. Stegall for pastor.

Major William A. Terrell succeeded Mrs. Phillips and Williamson at one hotel and Charles F. Sherburn, Dr. Lestergett, at the other. Samuel McJunkin closed out his stock of goods; Anderson D. Abrahams dissolved partnership with Jacob L. and removed to South Carolina. Dr. Wimbish left. Work for carpenters was so scarce that two, Segna and Thomas Moore left.

William U. Anderson sold his blacksmith shop to Peter Hurston moving three miles north of Newnan, settling a place later bought by James Brewster; In addition to their tan-yard on Wahoo Creek, William F. and E. M. Storey, located one in Newnan; Judge Keller moved to the country, settling Willow Grove (later the home of James Watkins), merchandising there for two years; William Nimms became the third postmaster.

In addition to being re-elected with the other members of the assembly, James Wood was elected, by the Legislature, Brigadier General to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of General Sledge.

Having command, but not living in our county, Samuel Armstrong Baily was the first Major General, and Sledge the first Brigadier, Fannin, of later Mexican massacree fame, was Brigade Inspector of superb abilities as a drill officer.

New citizens: Colonel Littleton Spivey, Peleg S. Mason, Mathew H. Pentecost, Thomas Hughey, William Bilbo, Robert L. Newman, Anselm B; Leigh and his sons, Jackson Neely, John Goddice, William and Charles Cleghorn moved away."


New tax officials this year, John Hardeman, Receiver; John Carrington, Collector, embezzled the money and fled, his bondsmen having to settle his defalcations. E. M. Storey was elected Major. Removals, Josephus Echols, to Columbus; Robert S. Burch, Dr. Levi T. Wellborn, to Eufala, Alabama, where he died; Cannon F. Shipp and Hughey & Killgore sold out their goods to Peter E. Duncan who moved them to Duncan Town,", since known as Macedonia (Church). February 8th was kept in the memory of those living then as the "Cold Saturday," and the year as the "Dry Year," no rain falling from March to September.

Elisha and Josiah Brown became merchants in Newnan. Richard M. Fletcher and James A. (or L.) Abrahams, sold out to the Storeys. Phineas and Thomas Moore sold to Nemmons & Terrill. Willis Killgore became the fourth postmaster.   Thomas W. Bolton succeeded Sherburn as hotel-keeper. Major Terrell failed and Bolton rented that hotel and closed it up. Benton Walton sold his grocery and moved to Augusta. Jacob L. Abrahams closed out his business. John W. Pentecost moved his stock of goods to Cedar Creek, above Sewell Mills. John D. Hinton opened a stock of goods. William U. Anderson sold his farm, returned to town, and built a two-story blacksmith shop on the corner that was later occupied by Burpee's leather shop, rented the upper story to Donaldson & Harris for a carriage shop. Charles S. Anderson opened another blacksmith shop.

The Coweta Advertiser, Newnan's first paper, was started by Samuel W. Minor, but it was short lived as was the second, started soon after by a man named Nelson, being followed in the fall by the Palladium, published by C. F. Sherburn, from the issue of September 5th these items have been preserved: Advertisement of The Golden Star Hotel, kept by T. W. Bolton. Dr. A. B. Calhoun had a notice as administrator of the William Scott estate.

B. H. Mitchell announces himself a candidate for clerk of the Superior court. Thomas A Grace, W. F. S. Powell and others warn the public against an impostor. William U. Anderson and Henry Kellar are on the list of Grand Jurors.   Cotton quotations 11 to 17 cents in Columbus. John S. Storey moved to Carroll. William M. to the country. Isham Huckaby, Revolutionary soldier, aged ninety-three, died in the Fourth district.  Re-elected the same legislators.

Rev. Morgan Bellah was pastor of Newnan and Mount Gilead Methodist Churches. Rev. B. Holmes, of the Newnan Baptist—his third year. The minutes of this church for this year have some very interesting stories: "Took up a reference against Brother Niblet for intoxication; after hearing his acknowledgments, the church forgave him;" "Appointed brothers C. T. Wellborn and S. Reynolds to keep the key of the house and keep closed the windows and doors for twelve months and that for said service they receive from the church at the end of 12 months the sum of $12.50."

Ebenezer McKinley moved in, a most admirable citizen, and another was Robert S. Burch.

Bethel Baptist Church was moved over to Heard county, fifteen miles southwest of Newnan; it had a membership of one hundred and seventy-five at the time, many of them citizens of Coweta county, making the history of this church a part of Coweta. Rev. Joseph Bankston, pastor since 1829, continued in that office after the removal assisted by Rev. W. Henderson. Rev. John G. Fry was pastor of Ebenezer from 1833 to 1840.

About this time Concord Methodist church wasre moved, the building having become dilapidated, to a location on the plantation of Lieut. W. M. Redwine, between Big and Little Cedar Creeks, on the old Campbellton road between Palmetto and Newnan on six acres of land-lot 176, Fifth district, and a building was erected. Trustees: Dabney P. Jones, James Kelley, Richard P. Penn, Lewis and John Red-wine.

The only evidence of the first location of this church is the burying ground where the remains of Jacob Redwine, great-grandfather of Ben. L., Frank H. and Dr. R. W. Redwine; John Powell, great-great-grandfather of J. H. Powell and Mrs. Lynch Turner; and other pioneers lie".   From Mrs. N. L. Cook.

From 1830 to 1838 the Assembly voted certain school funds for the counties; an academic fund and a poor school fund—about $250.00 a year-that was not claimed by the counties because even the very poor were too proud to take the shameful pauper's oath necessary to securing its help. The Coweta grand jury this year asked the Assembly to combine the funds for free schools over the county, but a minority of the members of that jury objected, urging the greater importance of having the poor learn manual labor. This jury also, as had many previous ones complained of the lack of a court of errors to re-consider and revise hasty judgments of their present courts.


On the east side of the square old Papa Minor had a hand-press that he claimed once belonged to Benjamin Franklin.   He published a little weekly paper, to supply the town with the latest news. His paper was the first in the country to place at its masthead the name of Andrew Jackson for the Presidency of the United States. Near the printing office John Ray, a natural born Irish orator, kept his law office.   John Dougherty, another Irishman, kept a tavern on the southwest corner.   A yankee by the name of Fisher sold New England rum at 12 1/2 c per half-pint on the southside. John Story ran a blacksmith shop on the west side.   I lived on the northside, on adjoining lot to A. J. Berry.

There was an old man in the country named Jimmie Walters. The old fellow liked his dram and sometimes would get a "drop too much" of Fisher's rum and camp on the streets. The boys would find him,, black him, crate him, and swing him to a horse-rack. About the crack of day the old man would be ready to put his hat and shoes in "soak" for a drink.

There was a tailor here by the name of Hays, who volunteered in the war of 1836. While manipulating his goose he used U sing,

'Haint it a pity for such a pretty man as I To go away to Florida, and pine away and die.'" By Q. C. Grice, Inman, Ga., in The Newnan Herald.

This year was a year of excitement owing to troubles with the Indians that resulted in the "War of 1836" or the "Indian War" as different writers call it.  William U. Anderson raised a company for the Florida campaign, but the requisition for Georgia troops was filled before his report reached the governor.   Anderson resigned the command of the company and went into other business, but was soon ordered to the Creek war.   He called out the company, read his orders to them, but declined to assume command of the company unless re-elected. After some correspondence with Governor Schley, owing to a controversy that had developed, the order was countermanded, and another given for the raising of another company by draft or voluntary enlistment. Anderson, acting Adjutant for Colonel Pentecost, received the orders and ordered out the regiment in three days for a draft which caused much excitement.   This regiment was composed of the men of certain ages who constituted the militia and were required to meet at musters at certain intervals for drilling and inspection in preparation for such emergencies as this.   Colonel Pentecost read the order to the regiment after it was formed by the Adjutant (acting) and advised voluntary enlistment, saying that Coweta should never submit to a draft. Major Storey made a speech urging them to volunteer followed by one from Anderson. Then ordering the drum and fife to beat up and down the line, the latter officers soon had eighty-three volunteers. The regiment was then dismissed and the company of volunteers marched to town and elected William IT. Anderson, Captain; Edward M. Story, 1st Lieutenant; Daniel C. Turrentine, 2nd Lieutenant; Calvin T. Jones, Ensign; A. P. Hunter, First Sergeant.

The same day a cavalry company of eighty-three men was raised and elected Gilbert D. Greer, Captain; Pleasant A. Lawson, 1st Lieutenant; Nicholas Dyer, 2nd Lieutenant; Beverly D. Thompson (01 Thomason, the name is spelled both ways). Ensign; John Jester, First Sergeant; Cicero D. Hudson, Secretary.

June 4th the soldiers were formed in line on the west side of the court house where James Wood, a private, later made Brigadier General, made an address, though a hard rain was falling during his talk— a rain so heavy that Berry's branch was swollen to a river's width of about fifty yards when the soldiers crossed there on their march to Columbus, the place named as rendezvous for all the troops. They camped about a mile form Hamilton, Harris county, having only one tent for protection against the floods of rain that fell. It was at Girard, near Columbus that the army of ten thousand gathered.

Our cavalry being mustered into service June 6, the infantry on the 7, for three months, unless sooner discharged. The cavalry was organized into a battalion and elected Julius C. Alford, from LaGrange, Major. After two or three days, "we were ordered to West Point, Ga. with General James Wood as our commander. We had there seven companies of infantry organized into a battalion with William Wood, of Heard county, Lt. Colonel; John Chambers, of Carroll county, Major; Nicholas Thompkins, Adjutant." They were in service nearly six months.

Benjamin Leigh, one of the cavalrymen, a mere youth but a strong advocate of temperance, helped stave in whiskey barrels and pour out the liquor—a wise precaution for the whites as well as to prevent its falling into the hands of the Indians. Many friendly Indians were with the collected army and years afterward Benjamin Leigh told of seeing them play their ball games.

In White's "Historical Collections" is copied from the Palladium, a Newnan newspaper of 1836, the following account of a great day in Newnan. A military detachment under Captain H. Garmany stopped for refreshment on their return from the Creek war and were given an ovation.

Early on the morning of Tuesday, 26th ult., our citizens were apprised of the approach of a company of our chivalrous up-country volunteers; we at once thought it to be our own—but when they approached, who should it be but the gallant Captain Garmany, with a part of his command.   They were received with enthusiasm by our citizens, and were compelled by urgent solicitation to partake of a breakfast with us—after which the ladies and gentlemen of the town and its vicinity repaired to the court-house to welcome this heroic band. Col. W. D. Spear was called to the chair, and after making a few pertinent remarks, suitable to the occasion, the following song was, after proper intervals, sung thrice, with weeping eyes and great applause:—


Tune—'Scots wha ha', etc.

"See the Chattahoochee flow,
By Roanoke descending low;
There our soldiers met the foe
Fierce as prowling panther.

"God- was not Thy presence nigh,
When to Thee, with trusting eye,
Looked our soldiers, while the cry
Burst like wild wolves howling?

"Hear our Captain's cheerful tone—
'Courage, soldiers- soldiers, on-'
Let no craven fear be shown,
Here no aid can find us-

"Who a home or loved one hath,
Fight like whirlwinds in their wrath -
Fight, there lies no middle path—
Wreath or shade must bind us.

"Should the God of battles smile,
Blessings wait to crown our toil;
Many a listener we'll beguile
With this day's bold story.

'Should we fall, we leave a name
Ages will be proud to claim;
Death, upon the soldier's fame,
Stamps the seal of glory.'

"Garmany, such thy counsels bold,
Now in song they name's enrolled,
And thy gallant deeds are told,
While thousands throng applauding.

"Bravery makes the field her shrine
Beauty's grateful tear is thine;
Who but would his life resign,
Such the meed rewarding?

"After the singing had ceased. Captain Garmany rose and said, in substance, as follows:

Mr. Chairman, I beg leave to respond by offering my thanks both for myself and in behalf of my company, for the honour conferred upon us. It is true we have encountered hardships, difficulty, great danger, some suffering, and the loss of some of our best men; yet we have done no more than our duty, and duty which every man should at all times be ready to discharge. You, dear females, I with pleasure behold here in peace, and under the protection of the good and virtous; while my bosom burns at the thought that I have seen the places where many of your sex have been butchered by those blood-thirsty savages, too cruel to relate; yes, so cruel and heart-rending, that my life has almost been my terror.'

Tears flowed from the eyes of all in the house, which created an inexpressible feeling, and we could not trace him further, only to say that he spoke the sentiments of a warm and patriotic heart.

"The citizens wished to retain (sic) them as guests until the morrow; but the anxiety of the heroes to see and embrace their wives, daughters, and sisters, was such that we had to succumb."

Of twenty-six cases in superior court two were for assault; five, affray; two, hogstealing; one, gaming; six larceny; one, misdemeanor; one, cheating; two perjury; one, stabbing; one, malpractice.

The White Oak settlement, Associate Reformed Presbyterians, bought a log church called "Smyrna" from the Methodists, but at that time they could not be supplied with a pastor of their own denomina-tion, so, with some members of the Southern Presbyterian Church living among them, they applied to that church for a minister, and the Flint River Presbytery ordered Reverend J. Y. Alexander, stated supply of the Newnan church, to organize their church.  This he did October 21, 1837, with the name, "The White Oak Presbyterian Church." The charter members were: Robert Russell, James Thomp-son, Arthur Carmical, James Young, James Miller, Samuel P. Evans, Thomas Holinghead, Robert Wadel, John McLure, Mary Russell, Mary Atcherson, Elizabeth Thompson, Esther Young, Mary McLure, Mary Evans, Margaret Wadel, Isabella Holinghead."

New merchants in the county at this time, Kellar & Watkins, in Newnan; Dr. Watkins & Hugh Houston, at Willow Grove; Coleman & Huggins, at Oak Lawn; Skein & Brother, on the county line; Turren-tine & Levell, in the First District; Sanders W. Lee, in the Second;1 John H. Tinch, on White Oak; S. J. Harber, Fourth District; John B. Tendal, on Cedar Creek; several Randals, in the Third District; Major Holland; Mr. Wordsworth, a tan yard; Charles Emlin, a cabinet shop; John Hall, a threshing machine factory—it was the custom to do the threshing at home as well as the ginning. 1837.

In January, Jacobus Gibson and family moved to the county from Greene county., Sherburn discontinued the publication of the Palladium.

New merchants: Kilgore & Reynolds, William U. Anderson, John and William B. Brown, but John soon drew out and departed; George T. Anderson, blacksmithy, William J. C. Kenada, jeweler and watch-maker. William W. Sellman, merchant in First district. Miles Jones in the Sixth. King W. Perry returned to his original location on Line Creek to merchandise and farm. J. J. Pinson bought the interest of William Nimmons in the firm of Nimmons & Terrell, but the new firm and George Scott removed to Alabama. W. Fisher went out of business. Valentine Harden and sons and Elam S. Ashcraft, carpenters, came in, but Ashcraft tried the broom business, Anderson's History refers to it as "a successful failure."

E. M. Story was elected Colonel after the death of Colonel Pentecost and Daniel C. Turrentine, Major.

At the liquor shop of one Jackson, in the country, William G. Kobb killed a man named Easterwood.

A "Female Academy" was built this year and the Misses Chamber-lain employed as teachers. They had a fine school. Later the Misses Berry succeeded them. Nicholas Dyer took the place of James Wood ( General James Wood, who commanded the Coweta troops along with companies from Carroll, Campbell, DeKalb, Fayette (two), and Heard counties during the War of 1836 as well as serving in the Legislature, moved to Columbus, Ga. A splendid portrait of him, painted by his mother belongs to the Orr family at Moreland.)

in the Legislature. By that body Willis Kilgore was elected to fill his place as Brigadier General. John Neely, Revolutionary soldier, died at the age of ninety-three. He had nine scars of battle on his body. Rev. C. Simmons was pastor at Mount Gilead.


The Newnan Baptists had a church trial during this year that is very entertaining. Brother Wooten severely criticised Brother Bolton, who was a justice-of-the-peace, for his decision in a case, calling him a "perjured man," for this Brother Bolton sued him for slander and preferred charges against him before the church conference which "laid the matter over till the next meeting"—at which it was again "laid over." The charges were preferred the 27th of January, but it was not taken up until March 23, and "after considerable effort on the part of the church to settle the difficulty resolved to send to the four nearest churches, namely, Macedonia, Providence, Ebenezer and New Hope for three helps from each church to meet at this place on Friday before the fourth sabbath in April next, to try to settle the matter of difficulty." April 20, "when the following brethren from sister churches were received as helps to sit with us and assist in trying to settle the difficulty between brothers Bolton and Wooten," viz., Martin and Conyers from Ebenezer, Scoggins, Beavers, and Newton from Providence, Medows and Coleman from New Hope, Moseley from Macedonia.   The church then took up the reference from last meeting and after placing the matter in the hands of the committee they retired and made the following report:

"We, the committee, recommend the church to require the dissatisfied parties to take the steps pointed out in the scriptures, to obtain satisfaction, before the church takes up any charge." Action was postponed until next day when they adopted the following:

"1st., We the church after some deliberation, agree to accept the report of the committee with the following qualifications:  We admit that Brother Wooten violated the rule of Gospel order in speaking evil publicly of Brother Bolton without first dealing with him as the gospel directs, and we further admit that Brother Bolton did not persue the gospel steps in commencing dealing with Brother Wooten, but before the matter was brought into the church, private dealing was had by the direction of the church. But as a church we maintain that we have received the case in proper order as we advised the brethren to a course of private labour before we received the case, which private labour was had by the parties before the church ever received the case, but for the respect we have for the brethren of the committee, we now agree to dismiss the case as it now stands on the church book and proceed instanter to take the case up in the following order:

"1st.   We, the church, charge Brother Wooten for evil speaking of his Brother Bolton contrary to gospel order and the peace of the church.

"2nd.   We, the church, charge Brother Wooten for denying what he once admitted in the church in relation to the original charge on the church book against said Wooten and for making false statements on Friday, April 20, in the church, saying Brother Bolton dictated the charge.

"3d. We, the church, charge Brother Bolton for serving Brother Wooten at common law contrary to the rules of our church and in violation of the gospel order.

"4th. We, the church, further agree to investigate the truth or false-hood of Brother Wooten's original public sayings about Brother Bolton. The case was continued till the next day for this purpose."

At the May conference Brother Wooten acknowledged the error of his doings-and sayings, but they were not accepted for after discussion at several subsequent meetings they took this action: "The church believes that it is most for the glory of God and the good of the church to excommunicate Brother Wooten from the privileges of the church. Which was done."

Brother Bolton's case was taken up and for the same reasons he was excluded from the church, but in the August (25) meeting, he appeared asking to be restored. Upon his promise to drop his suit against Wooten, he was given the right hand of fellowship.

Many of the minutes bear record of the reception into membership of the slaves of those days, "Dolly, a black woman of E. McKinley, was received," "Isaac, property of Brother Bolton, was received by experience." "John, a man of color, belonging to Levi Willcoxon, presented a letter to this church."

The Methodists had Reverend John C. Simmons for two years, '37-'38, with Elias Story as Junior on the circuit, the second year.

Colonel William Sellman bought William U. Anderson's hotel. Dr. A. B. Calhoun went to France for a course of lectures on medicine. Robert W. Simms was admitted to the bar. John B. Tindall, one of the judges of the Inferior Court, died August 30th.

A company of the militia, under Captain E. M. Storey, from Coweta, formed part of the escort in the removal of the Cherokees from their country to Indian Territory. Augustus H. Stokes was a Colonel from Coweta in that service. Richard M. Fletcher closed out his business and moved to Carroll county; Albert Sears, a money lender came in. Same men sent to the Legislature except Dr. Ira E. Smith became Senator, Gilbert D. Greer, took bis place as Representative. Hugh A. Haralson, elected Major General, made Colonel E. M. Story his Division Inspector. Rev. Elias Storey was pastor at Mount Gilead Church and the Newnan Baptists re-elected Reverend James Davis for the coming year.


Live Newton, new Tax Collector, is the only official reported elected in January; Keller and Watkins failed in business; William U. Anderson moved his stock of goods to Marietta, but moved himself only from the place, now occupied by the post office, to Davis Owen's, out north of the Methodist Church which he improved; and buying out C. T. Wellborn's carriage shop, took up blacksmithing again. John D. Brown and Daniel Whitaker went into the grocery and liquor business. Hugh Houston was killed by lightning on Sandy creek. Watkins & Houston closed out their business at Willow Grove. Reverend Robert Fleming took charge of the Female Academy, John A. Fleming taking Hugh Buchanan's place there. Grace & Long, a new firm, opened a store; Norman, a seedsman, came. Charles Emben and John Hull closed up their shop as did Joseph and Elisha Brown who left town.   Reverend Harris Stearnes was pastor at Mount Gilead.

Elected: Noel B. Knight, of Covington, Solicitor for the Coweta circuit; Dr. I. E. Smith, re-elected Senator; Dr. A. B. Calhoun, Gilbert D. Greer, and John Jester, Representatives; John Thurman, Revolutionary soldier, died at eighty.

"A drouth lasting from July 7th to November 26th made the streams so low that a man living near Hutchinson's ferry sowed a turnip patch in the bed of the river and raised a fine crop before the river was in flood again.  The fall was so mild that the cotton bloomed until Christmas.   No grinding could be done except at the river mills and they were so crowded that it took a week to get to mill and back with one's turn ground. Anderson & Martin built a horse mill in Newnan—starting it off with two cranks by hand, gearing it later for horse-power; it was kept running day and night for some time until the rains came about Christmas.   There was no steam-power in those days; hand work did everything; wagons, carts, plows, axes, farming tools. Our smoke-houses and corn-cribs were at home; if a neighbor had to buy corn or meat, he did not go to Tennessee or Ohio for it, he went to a neighbor and got his supplies.   We had our washing done in our own yards.   Contrast that with the present (written 'in 1880).   All our workshops are run by steam—and most of them are in the North and West. I need not say which was the best plan—I would be dubbed an old fogy, but I think the next generation will get about right and have shops, smoke-houses and cribs at home again."1

The Baptist church had been trying to get a triangle with which to call the congregation together, but in August there is this record: "Rec'd the Bell in Lieu of the triangle .... and let out the Ringing of the Same to the lowest Bidder when Brother Reynolds took charge of the Same for Eleven Dollars for the term of twelve months which is to be Rung ten minutes at each time previous to the commencement of preaching." About this time they record the exclusion from membership of a brother who absented himself from the meetings without rendering any excuse.

Source: Jones, Mary G.. Coweta County chronicles for one hundred years : with an account of the Indians from whom the land was acquired, and some historical papers relating to its acquisition by Georgia, with lineage pages. Atlanta, Ga.: Stein Print. Co., 1928.

©Genealogy Trails