Home Screven County
Effingham County, Georgia
Genealogy Trails

Home - Biographies - Birth Records - Cemeteries - Census Records - Church Records - Death Records - Bible Records
Marriage Records - Military Records - Misc. Data - News - Obituaries - UpdatesWills & Probate Records


Biographies

To search this page, press Ctrl F on your keyboard

ARNSDORFF, Andreas Lorenz
1. Andreas Lorenz Arnsdorff sold himself and family to an Englishman in South Carolina who realized that the old man with his many small children was of no use to him and set him free but kept the oldest daughter who had to earn her passage money.

Andreas Lorenz Arnsdorff was admitted to the group of Lutherans who came over in the third transport and settled at Ebenezer. The only shoemaker in Ebenezer had died and Andreas Arnsdorff, being a shoemaker, made a valuable addition to the colony. While returning from a visit to his daughter in South Carolina he fell overboard and was drowned in the Savannah River on July 4,1736, aged sixty years. His widow and children were admitted to the Orphans Home at Ebenezer.
Their Children 2nd Generation
2. Oldest dau. remained in S.C.
2. John Peter, b. 1723
2. Sophie Catherina, b. 1725
2. Maria Margaretha, b. 1727, d.y.
2. Dorothea Catherina, b. 1733
2. Maria Catherina, b. Sep. 16, 1736 (two and a half months after her father was drowned.)

Source: Gnann, Pearl Rahn, and Mrs. Charles LeBey. "Arnsdorff Genealogy." Georgia Salzburgers and Allied Families. 1976. Page 9. Print


William Edwards enlisted 1775, as a private in Capt. J. Elliot's company, Col. Charles C. Pinckney's regiment; 1779 in Capt. William Caldwell's company, 3rd South Carolina regiment, and served until 1781. He died 1833, in Effingham County, Ga.

Transcribed from - Lineage Book. Daughters of the American Revolution. Vol. 57. Washington D.C.: Press of Judd & Detweiler, 1921. page 64. Print.


Morgan, Samuel H., mayor of the thriving little city of Guyton, Effingham county, and president of the Georgia Manufacturing and Trading Company, was born in Miller, Burke county, Ga., April 1, 1863. He is a son of Samuel and Abigail (Smith) Morgan, both of whom were born in Effingham county. The father died in 1863 and the mother in 1876. The subject of this sketch is the youngest of the six children who survive the honored parents, the others being: Wilbur, cashier of the National Packing Company, of Savannah; Narcissus, wife of Frederick Rohr, of Savannah; Jeanette, wife of Benjamin Davis, of Guyton; Estella, wife of S. M. Jackson, of Savannah; and Eulalia, the wife of A. H. Rahn, of Guyton. Samuel H. Morgan was reared to maturity in the city of Savannah, in whose excellent public schools he secured his educational training. In his business career 'he has been consecutively identified with mercantile and manufacturing enterprises and has attained marked success and prestige as a business man. He is president of the Georgia Manufacturing and Trading Company, which conducts a large general merchandise business in Guyton, operates a saw mill and conducts an extensive lumbering business in Bryan county, while a large cotton warehouse is also owned by the company, which was incorporated in 1900. Mr. Morgan is also general manager of the Savannah Buggy Company, which was organized and incorporated in the summer of 1905. In politics he is a stanch advocate of the cause for which the Democratic party stands sponsor, and is giving a most able administration in the office of mayor of Guyton. He is a member of the board of deacons of the Christian church of Guyton, is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, and for two years held membership in the Savannah Volunteer Guards. On May 12, 1886, Mr. Morgan was united in marriage to Miss Wilhelmina Myers, of Savannah. She was born in Hanover, Germany, June 20, 1869, and was six years of age at the time of her parents’ removal to America. Mr. and Mrs. Morgan have four children: Louis William, Philip, Augusta and Jason.

(Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, publ. 1906. Transcribed by Tammy Rudder)


John Pitts (1740-87) commanded a company, 1780, in Col. Samuel Jarvis' 1st North Carolina regiment. He died in Effingham County, Ga.

Transcribed from - Lineage Book. Daughters of the American Revolution. Vol. 57. Washington D.C.: Press of Judd & Detweiler, 1921. page 64. Print.


SCHNEIDER, Michael
1. Michael Schneider, a tailor, age 40, with his wife Anna Elizabeth, age 30, and two s., John George, age 12, and John, age 6, left the Palatine, Germany, and embarked Jul. 1738, arrived Oct. 7, 1738, in Savannah, Ga., and joined the Salzburgers at Ebenezer. Michael d. Sep. 1757, and his wife, Anna Elizabeth (Sanftleben) Schneider, d. Mar. 13, 1760.

Source: Gnann, Pearl Rahn, and Mrs. Charles LeBey. "Schneider - Snider Genealogy." Georgia Salzburgers and Allied Families. 1976. Page 300. Print"


Shuptrine, James T., who is engaged in the drug business in the city of Savannah and treasurer of the Georgia State pharmaceutical association, is a member of one of the oldest pioneer families of Georgia, the founder having been Nicholas Shuptrine, or Schubtrein, as the name was originally spelled, who immigrated from. Salzburg, Germany, to America, in 1734, settling at Ebenezer, in what is now Effingham county, about a year after the landing of General Oglethorpe, the founder of the colony. James T. Shuptrine was born on the homestead plantation, in Effingham county, Oct. 29, 1850, a son of Daniel C. and Carolina A. (Newton) Shuptrine, the former born in Effingham county in 1823, and the latter in Screven county the same year. Daniel C. was a planter by occupation throughout his active career and died in June, 1892, h s wife having passed away in February of the previous year. Both were residing in the home of their son James T. at the time of death. They were the parents of nine children, of whom only three are living. John S. resides in Liberty county, Ga.; Daniel R. is a resident of Saratoga, Ark.; and James T. is the immediate subject of this sketch. Israel Shuptrine, grandfather of James T., was born in Effingham county, and was a son of Daniel, also born in that county, a son of Nicholas, who was the founder of the family in Georgia, as already noted. Daniel C. Shuptrine was a Loyal soldier of the Confederacy during the Civil war, having enlisted, in 1861, in Captain McAllister's company of Georgia cavalry, with which he served about one year, and soon afterward re­enlisted as a member of Company B, Millen's battalion of cavalry, with which he served as sergeant until the close of the war. He thereafter located in Liberty county, where he resided until his retirement from active business life. James T. Shuptrine secured his educational training in the schools of Liberty county and in 1870, at the age of twenty years, he took up his residence in Savannah, where he became a clerk in a drug store. In 1877 he engaged in the same line of business for himself and now controls a large wholesale and retail trade, handling both drugs and seeds, as well as druggists' sundries and specialties. He was the first president of the Savannah retail druggists' association. For ten years he was an acting member of the Georgia Hussars, and is now an honorary member of the organization. He accords allegiance to the Democratic party, and he is a member of Trinity church, Methodist Episcopal South, of whose board of trustees he is chairman. On Feb. 10, 1876, Mr. Shuptrine was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Savannah Newton, daughter of Barnett and Jane A. (Edwards) Newton, of Effingham county, and they have three children: Herman C., a member of the Shuptrine Drug and Seed Company; Eulalia Newton, wife of Francis E. Johnston, of Atlanta; and Jane C., who remains at the parental home.

Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz


Strange, Hon. Henry Bascom 
In the annals of the judiciary of Bulloch County there is found no name that is held in higher honor, esteem and confidence than that of Hon. Henry Bascom Strange, jurist, legist, public spirited citizen and self-made man, whose record in public and private life alike is one on which there is not the slightest stain or blemish. Few men have gained more honestly or completely the admiration of their fellow citizens, and the honor that has come to him has been gained without animosity.

Judge Strange was born in Effingham County, Georgia, November 13, 1863, the family home being located at Mount Pleasant Landing, on the Savannah River. His father, the Rev. L. L. Strange, was born near Spartanburg, South Carolina, and as a boy of twelve years was brought to Georgia, where he spent the rest of his life, his mature years as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Conference and as a preacher of wide renown. He died at the age of forty-five years. He was married in Effingham County to Florence 'Wilson, a native of that county, who is now living at Statesboro, at the age of seventy-two years, and they became the parents of six children, of whom five are still living: Dr. George P., a practicing physician of Effingham County; Henry Bascom; Berry L., a practicing attorney of Houston, Texas; Mrs. Lizzie Graham, of Effingham County; and Mrs. Susie Ann Rackley, who is a resident of Statesboro.

Henry Bascom Strange was but twelve years of age when his father died, and at that time he became the sole support of his mother, this naturally precluding the idea of any extensive educational training at that time. However, he had attended the public schools, and when twenty-one years of age began earnestly the study of his chosen profession, and when twenty-two entered the office of J. G. and D. H. Clark, of Tusculum, Georgia, spending two years under the preceptorship of these gentlemen. He was admitted to the bar May 14, 1888. under Judge A. P. Adams, of the Eastern Circuit, and at once began practice at Guy ton, where he remained four years. He came to Statesboro August 9. 1892, and almost immediately took his place among the strong and thorough attorneys of the Bulloch County seat. As the years passed he established himself more and more thoroughly in the confidence of the people and began to give attention to public affairs. In 1905 he was elected to the Georgia Legislature from the Seventeenth Senatorial District, serving in that and the following year, and in 1908 and 1909 was mayor of Statesboro and gave the people of this city one of the best administrations they have ever known. By this time it was recognized that here was judicial timber, and in 1910 he was elected judge of the City Court, an office which he held for four years. In 1915 he met defeat as a candidate for judge of the Superior Court, Middle Circuit, by 100 votes. He is a member of the Bulloch County Bar Association and the Georgia State Bar Association, is fraternally a Mason, and with his family belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Judge Strange was married November 4, 1891, at Guyton, Georgia, to Miss Laura Gertrude Fruetrell, daughter of A. J. Fruetrell, a well known merchant still in business at Guyton. They have no children.

At the time of his retirement as judge of the City Court, Judge Strange was presented with a gold-headed cane by the members of the Bulloch County Bar Association, which body adopted the following resolutions: "Upon the convening of the City Court, being the first retiring officers of Statesboro, the following resolutions of appreciation were presented and unanimously adopted and ordered- to be spread upon the minutes of the court. Judge Strange. Whereas, with the close of the year 1914, at the hour of midnight, Hon. Henry Bascom Strange's term of office as judge of the City Court of Statesboro expired, after extending over the period of four years; and, Whereas, his administration of that office was marked by a controlling spirit of fairness and impartiality to all, rich and poor alike, without favor or affection to any, no obligations save to discharge faithfully and fearlessly every duty of the office and, Whereas, during his term of four years he has made for himself by his strict adherence to the principles of right and justice a name and a reputation as a judge of unusual ability and has demonstrated that he possesses a peculiar fitness for the judicial office, a fact recognized by bar and laity alike; and, Whereas, he has uniformly sought to administer the functions of his court with impartiality, tempering justice with mercy, shielding the weak from the oppression of the strong, exercising patience with the shortcomings and the inexperience of many of us who have been practitioners in his court, placing his own experience and knowledge of the law in the aid of the cause of justice, and in all his conduct of that responsible office has shown an earnest desire and purpose; Whereas, despite the great volume of business—over 1,000 cases—set before him in the four years, only sixteen cases have been appealed from his court to the Court of Appeals, and of that number a reversal of his decision has only been made in three cases, a record of appeals and reversals perhaps not excelled by any other judge in the state; Be It Now Resolved by the Bar of Bulloch County, that we thus formally express to Judge Strange our regrets at his retirement from office and express to him our cordial personal appreciation of his excellent services as a judge, his splendid character as a man and citizen, and his recognized ability as a fellow-member of the Bar. and that we tender to him our sincerest wishes for a long and prosperous career at the bar, and that the future may hold in store for him a judicial place of higher station; and be it further resolved that these resolutions be entered on the minutes of the court and a copy furnished Judge Strange."

A standard history of Georgia and Georgians, Volume 5 By Lucian Lamar Knight Submitted by Friends For Free Genealogy


Wilson, Claudius Charles, one of Georgia's distinguished sons, was a man of signal nobility of character and left his impress upon the annals of the state. It was his destiny to sacrifice his life in the cause of the Confederacy during the Civil war, in which he rose to the rank of brigadier-general. He had been one of the most prominent and honored members of the bar of the city of Savannah prior to entering the Confederate service. He was born in Effingham county, Ga., Oct. 1, 1831, a son of Dr. Josiah Stewart Wilson, who was born in Liberty county, as was also the latter's father, Maj. Josiah T. Wilson, who served in the war of 1812. Gen. Claudius C. Wilson was a great-grandson of Gen. Daniel Stewart, of Liberty county, Ga., who served in the war of the Revolution, was a member of the Committee of Safety for St. John's parish, and was a valiant soldier in the war of 1812, in which he served with the rank of brigadier-general In the summer of 1848 General Wilson entered the sophomore class of Emory college, Oxford, Ga., and in this institution he was graduated in 1851, with the highest honors of his class. In the following winter he read law under Col. James M. Smith, and was admitted to the bar at Savannah in 1852. Possessing a mind naturally analytical and rarely cultivated, and having exceptional powers of eloquence, he soon rose to a position of eminence in his profession. In 1860 he was elected solicitor­ general of the eastern circuit of Georgia, but resigned this office after a short period to resume the practice of his profession in Savannah as a member of the firm of Wilson, Norwood & Lester, with which he continued to be identified until the Civil war was precipitated on a divided nation. In August, 1861, he entered the military service of the Confederate States, and was elected colonel of the Twenty-fifth regiment of Georgia volunteers, which had been raised through his personal efforts, and in the spring of 1862, upon the reorganization of the regiment under the conscript law, he was reelected its colonel The regiment was stationed at Tybee island until its evacuation by the Confederates, after which the command did service on the coast of North and South Carolina and around Savannah during the remainder of 1862 and the early part of 1863, Colonel Wilson acting as brigadier commander during the greater part of this time. In May, 1863, he was ordered to Mississippi with his regiment, which there became a part of Gen. W. H. T. Walker's brigade. On the promotion of General Walker to the rank of major-general, Colonel Wilson assumed command of the brigade, comprising the Twenty-fifth, Twenty-ninth and Thirtieth Georgia regiments. In this position he served with distinction in the movements for the relief of Vicksburg and in the battles around Jackson, Miss., as well as during the retreat of Johnston's army. In August, 1863, General Walker was ordered to join General Bragg's forces with his command in the Chattanooga campaign, and it was on the sanguinary field of Chickamauga that Colonel Wilson, in command of his brigade, won for himself imperishable honor. John Allen Wyeth, in his .,Life of General Forrest," thus speaks of Wilson's command in the battle of Chickamauga: "It was Col Claudius C. Wilson's brigade which came to the rescue, and at Forrest's request the Georgians swung into line immediately on his left and never waited a moment. They were not going to yield the palm to Forrest's and Pegram's horsemen. These veterans of other bloody fields moved forward rapidly and with directness to close range before they delivered their well aimed volleys into the Union line, which yielded under pressure and was pursued by all." Forrest was elated at the conduct of Wilson's men, and in his general report spoke as follows: "They advanced in gallant style, driving back the enemy, capturing a battery of artillery, my dismounted cavalry advancing with them, and I must say that the fighting and gallant charges of the two brigades (Wilson's and Ector's) excited my astonishment. They broke the enemy's lines and could not be halted nor withdrawn until nearly surrounded." Maj. Gen. W. H. T. Walker says in his official report of this battle: "I may be permitted in my own division, which was commanded on Sunday by General Gist, to state that Colonel Wilson, who commanded a brigade on both Saturday and Sunday and who is the oldest colonel from Georgia, is entitled, from long service with the brigade and from gallant conduct, to the command of the Georgia brigade he now commands, in the capacity of brigadier-general." The gallant conduct of Colonel Wilson in this battle caused his promotion to the rank of brigadier-general, but he was not long permitted to enjoy the distinction. His commission as such was signed by President Davis on Nov. 16, 1863, just ten days before the death of Colonel Wilson, reaching the headquarters of General Walker after the recipient of the honor had passed to the eternal life. This commission, as well as his commission as colonel of the Twenty-fifth Georgia, is in the Georgia room of the Confederate museum in Richmond, Va. Immediately after the battle of Chickamauga, General Wilson succumbed to camp fever, and while he was being removed to a place of greater safety he died, near Ringgold, Ga., Nov. 26, 1863, leaving to his state the precious legacy of a noble record of valor and devotion to duty. On Sept. 14, 1852, he married Miss Katharine McDuffie Morrison, daughter of John Morrison, of Augusta, Ga. Her death occurred in May, 1904. Of the four children, two are living, both being residents of Savannah-John M. and Anna Belle, the latter being the wife of Maj. Edward Karow.

Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz


Wilson, Frank Cheatham, D. D. S., one of the leading representatives of the dental profession in Savannah, was born near Egypt, Effingham county, Ga., Dec. 19, 1864, and is a son of Stephen Alfred Wilson and Tabitha Ann Wilson, of whom individual mention is made in this compilation, together with ample genealogical data, so that recapitulation is not necessary in the present connection. Doctor Wilson passed his boyhood days on the old homestead plantation and after a due preliminary training, entered the North Georgia Agricultural College in 1881, from which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1885. Later, in properly fortifying him­ self for his chosen profession, he was matriculated in the Baltimore Dental College, in Baltimore, Md., from which he was graduated in 1891, with first honor. Since that time he has been successfully established in practice in Savannah, where his clientele is of representative character. He was in the Spanish-American war, first lieutenant of Company C (Savannah Volunteer Guards), Second Georgia Volunteer Infantry. The command was mustered into service at Griffin, Georgia, in May, 1898, and was stationed in turn at Tampa, Florida, and Huntsville, Alabama, not being called into active service. He resigned from the command September 10, 1898, after the close of the war. He is a Democrat in politics and is identified with numerous professional, fraternal, sportsmen's and social organizations, notably the following: Sigma Alpha Epsilon, a college fraternity; Landrum Lodge, No. 48, Free and Accepted Masons; Georgia State Dental Association; National Dental Association; southern branch of the National Dental Association; Carteret Gun Club, of New York; Riverton Gun Club, of Philadelphia; Forest City Gun Club, of Savannah; Savannah Rifle Association, Savannah Volunteer Guards' Club, Savannah Yacht Club, Georgia Hussars' Club and the Oglethorpe Club. He was a member of every team that represented the state of Georgia in the national military matches for ten years and won first place in contest for places on the team each year but one. His standing as a marks­ man, with both rifle and shotgun, has given him national celebrity in both military and sporting circles. At Sea Girt, New Jersey, in 1894-5-6-7, he won the Trenton Inter-State Fair Trophies and gold medals each year, his scores being 64, 67, 68, 70, out of a possible 70, respectively; seven shots at 200 yards and seven shots 300 yards each year. He won the match known as the "All Comers' Match" three years in succession, and in 1899 he won the "President's Match" and medal, with the incidental title of "Championship of America." In 1899, he also won the great "Wimbledon Cup," thirty shots at one thousand yards on a score of one hundred and forty out of a possible one hundred and fifty, his being the greatest "scratch" score ever made in this celebrated match. He made twenty "fives" and ten "fours." This cup was given in 1875 to the National Rifle Association of America by the National Rifle Association of Great Britain, to be contested for annually, at one thousand yards. He has made many perfect scores of fifty in ten shots, off-shoulder, at two hundred yards. In the "All Comers'" match, in Savannah, in 1897, he made twenty-one "bulls" in twenty-two shots, off-shoulder, the world's record for this style of shooting with the Springfield rifle. At Sea Girt, New Jersey, 1896, he made in forty shots, on the "'skirmish,'' one hundred and eighty-nine out of a possible two hundred,-the record for this style of shooting. His the only person who is known to have made any marked success with both rifle and shotgun. In 1002, at Garden City, Long Island, he won the championship of the United States with the shotgun, killing ninety-six selected live pigeons released from a set of five traps, his victory bringing him a fine trophy, a loving cup, costing three hundred dollars. Prior to this he had killed one hundred and seven pigeons under like conditions, without a miss, any bird able to fly out of a thirty yards boundary, after released and being shot at, being scored a miss. This is also the record for "consecutive kills," as the previous record was eighty-eight. On the 30th of June, 190:J, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Sofie Brice Dunham, daughter of William A. and Sarah Brice (Keener) Dunnington, of Baltimore, Maryland. They have no children.

Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz


James Wilson (1750-1825) commanded a company, 1777-78 in the 10th North Carolina regiment, Continental troops. He was born in Ireland; died in Effingham County, Ga.

Transcribed from - Lineage Book. Daughters of the American Revolution. Vol. 57. Washington D.C.: Press of Judd & Detweiler, 1921. page 64. Print.


Wilson, Stephen Alfred, who was a prominent and influential citizen of Effingham county, and a scion of honored pioneer families of Georgia, was born in that county on Sept. l, 1829, and died May 3, 1897. He was the son of Elihu and Catherine (Tullis) Wilson, both natives of Effingham county. James Wilson who was the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, came to America shortly before the Revolution, served in the Continental army as captain in the Tenth North Carolina regiment, and later as captain-lieutenant in the Fourth South Carolina artillery. He was taken prisoner at Charleston in May, 1780. For his services he received grants of land in several counties in Georgia, whither he removed and settled in Effingham county, where he passed the remainder of his days. The name of his first wife is not known, but she left three sons, John, James and Jesse. Anne Gordon, who had been twice widowed, was the maiden name of his second wife to whom he was married before he came to Georgia. Elihu Wilson was also an extensive planter and served at Fort Jackson during the war of 1812. When the Civil war began Stephen A. Wilson enlisted as a lieutenant in Company T, Forty-seventh Georgia volunteers, and was promoted to captain. He was with his command in various engagements, and was enroute to the relief of Vicksburg when that city capitulated. He was a participant in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge and Chickamauga, and received a wound in the head at the battle of Lost Mountain. After his recovery he rejoined his command at John's island, taking part in the engagement there and also at James' island and Honey Hill. Returning home for the purpose of removing his family to a place of safety, he was cut off from his command, and under these conditions joined the troops of Gen. Frank Cheatham, with whom he remained to the close of the war. He was remarkably successful in recuperating his prostrate fortunes, and was a recognized leader in his community, being a man of much force, dignity of character, fine judgment and unimpeachable integrity. His first two wives left no children beyond infancy, but his third wife, Miss Tabitha A. Edwards, who is still living in Effingham county, is the mother of Dr. Walter Scott Wilson, Horace E. Wilson and Dr. Frank Cheatham Wilson, all of Savannah, and Frances Katharine, the widow of Louis Marshall Ryals, of Savannah, formerly of Virginia, and Mary Murchison Lafitte. Mrs. Wilson is the daughter of the late Rev. Joseph C. and Frances (Cone) Edwards, and great-granddaughter of Capt. William Cone, and Capt John Pitts, both of whom commanded companies in the Revolutionary war.

Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz


Check your attics!
Dust off your family scrapbooks!
We're looking for DATA for this site!!!

If you would like to submit data for this site,
please email your submissions.

            Genealogy Trails History Group
Visit our Georgia State Page - Visit our National Genealogy Trails Site

Email Us - Join the Mailing List - Search our Sites - Submit Obituary
All data on this website is © Copyright 2016 by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.