Georgia Genealogy Trails

"Where your Journey Begins"


Milton County, Georgia

Milton County was a county of the U.S. state of Georgia from 1857 to 1931. It was created on December 18, 1857 from parts of northeastern Cobb, southeastern Cherokee, and southwestern Forsyth counties. The county was named for John Milton, Secretary of State of Georgia from 1777 to 1799. Alpharetta was the county seat until the end of 1931, when Milton was merged with Fulton County to save it from bankruptcy during the Great Depression. At that time, Campbell County, which had already gone bankrupt, was also ceded to Fulton, giving it its 70-mile (110 km) long irregular shape along the Chattahoochee River.

Following the 1932 merger, the Cobb County town of Roswell was also ceded to Fulton four months later on May 9, 1932. The cession of Roswell (including everything east of Willeo Creek) made the new county more contiguous, though a very narrow strip (what is now the Dunwoody Panhandle of Sandy Springs, ceded to Milton from DeKalb) actually already connected the two sections.

Milton County originally bordered Gwinnett to the southeast, Forsyth to the northeast, Cherokee to the northwest, Cobb to the southwest, and DeKalb (Chamblee and Dunwoody) to the south. Because the Roswell area was formerly located in Cobb County, there was no border between Fulton and Milton counties before 1932. The northern edge of DeKalb also now no longer touches the river, as it did then. This section, north of Dunwoody Club Drive, is now the panhandle of Sandy Springs. [source: Wikipedia]


1883 Pensioners - Post Office Colquitt
transcribed by Rhonda Hill

Date of
Monthly Original
Cert. No. Name of Pensioner Cause for which pensioned  Rate Allowance
19,760 Boothe, Zermina widow 1812 $8.00 Mar., 1879
32,566 Anderson, Mary widow 1812 8.00 July, 1882
29,124 Rust, Effy E widow 1812 8.00 Apr., 1880
79,976 Smith, David surv. 1812 8.00


return to Georgia Genealogy Trails

Genealogy Trails