Welcome
                      to Georgia Genealogy Trails!

Georgia Genealogy Trails

"Where your Journey Begins"

Monroe County, Georgia
Biographies

 

J. T. CASTLEBERRY, merchant, Cabaniss, Monroe Co., Ga., is a son of Jephtha and Susanna F. (Bass) Castleberry, and was born in Monroe county, April 24, 1845. His father was born in Warren county, Ga. and went to Monroe county about the time he reached his majority. He married soon afterward and engaged in farming, which he continued in Monroe county until 1856, when he removed to the vicinity of Indian Springs, in Butts county, where he died April 27, 1866. His wife survived him about twenty years, dying July 30, 1887. Of ten children there are now living: Mrs. Mary A. Tingle, Mrs. Martha E. Roberts, Jeptha T., Mrs. Susannah F. Scarborough, William P., John P., Theresa M. and Mrs. Carrie O. Scarborough. As the civil war was precipitated about the time Mr. Castleberry reached the age when the blood runs hottest and the impulses are strongest, he hastened to volunteer as a member of Company A, Thirtieth Georgia regiment, and did his duty as a private in the western army. He participated in the battles about Jackson, Miss., at Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, and was with Gen. Johnston as he retired before Gen. Sherman. In the memorable and bloody battle of July 22, 1864, his brother was mortally wounded, from which he died at La Grange on July 28, and he was himself severely wounded in the right leg below the knee and left on the field of battle. He was taken prisoner and kept within the enemy's lines, most of the time at Chattanooga, until the surrender. Mr. Castleberry is the merchant at Cabaniss, a prosperous community in the northeastern portion of Monroe county, where he has been doing business since the war. His fine business ability and his great popularity in that section has attracted to him the large trade he enjoys. He is also conducting a quite large planting interest and operating three public ginneries at different points. Mr. Castleberry began his business life in 1868 as a clerk for Steele & Watson. In 1871 he bought an interest in the business, the firm then being Steele, Watson & Castleberry. In 1873 Steele & Castleberry bought out Mr. Watson, and in 1874 he (Mr. Castleberry) bought out his partner, and for the last twenty years has been sole proprietor. He carries a $2,000 stock of merchandise and plantation supplies and does a nearly cash business. Mr. Castleberry was married in Butts county, Nov. 28, 1872, to Miss Maggie L., daughter of Richard W. Willis, a pioneer and substantial citizen of Butts county. They have had but one child, James E., nineteen years of age and a law student at Forsyth. Mr. Castleberry is an ardent democrat and a Missionary Baptist, and a reliable working member in each cause. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]



William H. CASTLIN, planter, Culloden, Monroe Co.. Ga., son of John and Eliza (Goodin) Castlin, was born near Taylorsville, Hanover Co., Va., Jan. 27, 1827. His grandfather, John Castlin, was a native of Wales, and came to America and settled in Virginia before the revolutionary war, he being a soldier in the patriot army. He had two sons, Andrew and John. Andrew died, and John, after his marriage, came with his family to Georgia and settled on the Flint river in Upson county. In 1845 he moved to Monroe county and settled where William, the subject of this sketch, now resides. In 1856 he removed to Macon, Ga., where he died in January, 1861, aged seventy-three years. He started a very poor boy, but was a model farmer and manager, and left a quite large estate. He reared a family of ten children: John, Gold Hill, Ala.; Sarah, widow of a Mr. Coffin, Thomaston, Ga.; W. H, the subject of this sketch; Fleming, physician, deceased; Ann, wife of Peyton L. Cocke, Bolingbroke, Ga.; Edwin, White Bluff, Chatham Co., Ga.; Bradford, Thomaston, Ga.; Marcellus, merchant, Thomaston, Ga.; Catharine, wife of Addison P. Cherry, South Mills, Camden Co., N. C; Caroline, wife of John S. Timberlake. His wife died June 10, 1887, aged eighty-seven. Mr. Castlin was reared, and has continued to be a planter. In 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company D, Thirteenth Georgia regiment, and went to Savannah with the regiment. His health failing he returned home, and went into a regiment of state troops. He was again discharged on the ground of disability. About 1852 he removed from Monroe to Upson county, where he lived some years, then returned to near Culloden. After a brief stay he went to his Upson plantation again, where he remained until 1870, when he moved back to his present location. Mr. Castlin was married on the line of Monroe and Crawford counties, Dec. 13, 1852, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Irvin H. Woodward. She was of an old and prominent family, and had two brothers of great influence, and who were hightoned, honorable gentlemen. To Mr. and Mrs. Castlin ten children have been born: Irvin H., drummer for Tidwell & Pope, Atlanta; Willie, wife of Charles Gray, Fort Valley, Ga.; John H., deceased; Eugene, deceased; Woodward, at home; Sallie M., deceased; Clifford and William, both at home. In the suburbs of the far-famed old school town, Culloden, in an old-time southern mansion, Mr. Castlin is spending his declining years on a plantation of 1,600 acres. He has another in Upson county of 300 acres. He is a democrat and a master Mason. He is a member of the Methodist church. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

WILLIAM P. CLEMENTS, merchant and postmaster, Brent, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Wesley and Jane (Smith) Clements, was born in Muscogee county, Ga., March 19, 1855. His grandfather, Davis Smith, one of the earliest settlers of the county, was the son of Dixon and Elizabeth Smith, and was born in Washington county, Ga., in 1793. Early in life he engaged in merchandising in Dublin, Laurens Co., in which he was very successful. During this period Mr. Smith married Mrs. Elizabeth Jordan, and, in 1820, moved to Forsyth. Soon afterward he acquired possession of the 400-acre tract of land on which William P. Clements now lives, between five and six miles southwest of Forsyth. In 1825 he moved and settled upon it, and established a planting and mercantile interest which laid the foundation of a fortune. He carried on his business, and was a central figure in the community for a lifetime. He became one of the largest land and slaveowners in that locality, and attained to a strong and wide influence. At one time he owned 2,000 acres of land, and when emancipation was proclaimed had some hundred slaves. He was elected colonel of militia, then regarded a distinction, and being a strong whig partisan and politician was elected several times to represent the county in the general assembly. He was a Missionary Baptist, and began early in his Christian life to speak in public, and for the greater part of his lifetime was a local preacher of that denomination. Col. Smith died in 1867, and his wife in 1868. They reared nine children: Miranda, widow of Orlando Holland, Monroe county; Mary, deceased; T. T, retired merchant, living at the old homestead; Davis, Habersham county, Ga; Elizabeth and John D., both deceased; James, Macon, Ga.; Judson, killed in the last battle of the war, at West Point, Ga.; Jane, married to Wesley Clements, who was killed while in the Confederate service. By Wesley Clements she had three children: William P., the subject of this sketch; Thomas, in railway service, Athens, Ga., and Lizzie, wife of J. L. Chambliss, Macon, Ga. After the war Mrs. Clements married Thomas Y. Brent, formerly of Louisville, Ky., but now a merchant, Macon, Ga. By this last marriage she has had two children: Taylor Y., planter, Monroe county, and J. I., merchant, Macon, Ga. William P. Clements was reared on a farm, in the community of which he is now a member. At the age of nineteen he embarked in the mercantile business, for which he has shown such remarkable aptitude, and in which he has been so successful. Besides the store he has large planting interests. Through his instrumentality the postoffice of Brent was established, of which he was made postmaster. The firm is Brent & Clements, and carries a stock of $3,000, but Mr. Clements has the sole control and responsibility. The management of these three interests-plantation, store and postoffice-requires good business capacity, energy, close attention and up-to-date information, and all those Mr. Clements gives and displays. He evidently inherits the superior business sagacity and judicious enterprise of his grandfather Davis, combined with hustling activity, else he would prove unequal to his work. Politically Mr. Clements has always been devoted to the democracy, and feels that he is yet, so far as Jeffersonian principles are concerned. He ardently favors the reform embodied in the platform of the people's party, and is giving his influence to its success. Mr. Clements was married Oct. 28, 1885, to Miss Sallie, daughter of Mrs. Julia D. Thweatt, of Forsyth. She was born in
Columbus, and by her name will be recognized as a member of an old and very prominent family. Four children have been born to them: John Brent, deceased; Julia Thweatt, Jennie Brent, and Marie Keto. Mr. Clements and his wife are active, enthusiastic Methodists: and he takes great interest in all church work, especially the Sunday school, of which he has been superintendent four years. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]


W. C. CORLEY, planter, Forsyth, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Austin W. and Margaret N. (Matthews) Corley, was born in Troup county, Ga., Oct. 24, 1838. His grandfather, Austin V. Corley, of Irish descent, was born in South Carolina in 1745, and was a soldier in the revolutionary war. By his uprightness and thriftiness he attained to considerable influence, and was repeatedly elected a member of the legislature. Later in life he removed from South Carolina to Troup county, Ga., and thence, after some years, to Meriwether county, where he died in 1850 at the advanced age of 105 years. His wife, also very old, died about the same time. Both were devout, consistent members of the Missionary Baptist church. His father was born, reared and married in Richland district, S. C, and the next fall after his marriage he removed in wagons to Troup county, Ga., and settled. The Indians were still there, and he helped to move them. He was absent thirty- six days, during which time his wife and child were entirely alone. His parents lived in Troup county about twenty years, and then moved to Meriwether county, where they lived until after the war, when they removed to Dougherty county, Ga., where his father died in 1868 and his mother in 1872. Although his father began life quite poor, he succeeded by his industry and frugality and good management in accumulating a comfortable fortune. He was a democrat and a warm partisan: himself and wife were active and prominent Missionary Baptists, and did much toward upbuilding and advancing the denomination wherever they lived. They reared seven children: J. E., planter, Baker county, Ga.; Martha E., deceased; W. C, the subject of this sketch: S. M.. single lady, at home; Robert B. deceased; Simeon B., deceased; Austin Y., enlisted in Confederate army, and was killed in battle of Perrysville, Ky. Mr. Corley was reared partly in Troup and partly in Meriwether counties. When eighteen years old he went to Cuthbert, Ga., and became one of the firm of John R. Hull & Co., wholesale grocers. Several years afterward he went to Dougherty county and engaged in planting in that and in Calhoun county. The war between the states occurred while he was in business in Cuthbert, and he enlisted in the Randolph Light guards, was made second sergeant, and while stationed at Pensacola participated in the Santa Rosa fight His command did guard duty about Savannah for a time, was in the conflicts of Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, was in the Georgia campaign, and finally surrendered at Bentonville, N. C. In 1877 he went to Monroe county, where, Oct. 24, he was married to Miss Ellen S., daughter of Thomas and Sena Dewberry. This family was among the pioneers of the county, having settled in it in 1825, moving from Warren county. He was a wealthy planter before the war, worth probably $300,000, largely in several valuable tracts of land. Their children were: Madison, deceased; Thomas, Jr., deceased; William F., planter, Monroe county; Martha, deceased; Mary, widow, in Alabama; Sarah F., deceased; Jane, deceased; Amanda, deceased; Ellen S., deceased; Moses J., Monroe county; Berry W., Monroe county. Capt. Corley's wife died childless, Feb. 25, 1894. Her demise was sudden and unexpected, occasioned by internal hemorrhage. She was reputed to have been one of the most beautiful ladies in the county, which was emphasized by a very delicate organization bordering on the ethereal. His delightful home is about six miles south of Forsyth, and contains 700 acres; and he has another tract of 800 acres near by. In addition he has 330 acres within half a mile of the city limits of Columbus, Ga. He is a great lover of fine stock, and is perfecting arrangements to establish a stock farm on the property near Columbus. Capt Corley is a democrat in politics, and a Missionary Baptist. He is also a master Mason. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

G W. HEAD, planter and merchant, High Falls, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Dr. J. D. and Nancy H. (Underwood) Head, was born in Monroe county, Dec. 18, 1847. Mr. Head's great-grandfather emigrated from England to Georgia before the revolutionary war, during which he served in the patriot army. On one occasion a band of tories visited his home and drove off all the stock. The old patriot visited his home soon after, and being told of the raid went to the tories and at the point of a pistol made them return the spoils. William Head, his grandfather, raised his family in Clarke county, Ga. Mr. Head's father was a physician of no inconsiderable prominence, and married his wife in Putnam county. They raised a family of five children: Thomas J., planter, near Griffin, Ga., and a Primitive Baptist preacher; Savannah E, widow of Dr. L. J. Dupree, Milner, Ga.; G. W., the subject of this sketch; Hattie H., single; Emily E., wife of R. F. Strickland, Griffin, Ga. His father died in 1882, and his mother in 1888. When he was six years old Mr. Head's family moved to Butts county, where he was raised and educated. Not being old enough to enter the regular service during the war, he joined a cavalry troop of Georgia reserves, and was principally with the scouting forces, where his experience oftentimes was very exciting, to say the least of it On one occasion, when out on a scout, he fell in with the Texas brigade that surrounded the Union Gen. Kilpatrick, and was present when he broke through. He was about Atlanta on the same duty when Gen. Sherman held the city, and would often run into his scouts. He took the measles a little later, and was at home at the time of the surrender. After the war Mr. Head spent four years in the west, from Texas to California and Mexico, in stock business and mining, and one year in Pike county. He then returned to Butts county and engaged in farming with the most satisfactory results. He started with very small means, but prospered beyond his most sanguine expectations. He has added merchandising to his planting interest, and is one of the largest land-owners in Monroe county, owning 2,200 acres, and occupying a spacious brick dwelling near High Falls. The immediate surroundings are wildly beautiful and romantic in the extreme-few localities in Georgia surpass this locality in this respect. The name "High Falls" is derived from falls on the Towaliga river near by, the scenery presented to view being thus described in W. C. Richards' Georgia Illustrated, published half a century ago: "So fine is the view afforded from many different points that it is difficult to decide which is the most attractive; and passing from rock to rock the beholder is ever delighted with new features. This variety is the greatest charm of the scene. The river above the falls is about 300 feet wide, flowing swiftly over a rocky shoal. At its first descent it is divided by a ledge of rock, and forms two precipitous falls for a distance of fifty feet." The Towaliga is a stream of large volume and constant flow, and at this point has a fall of 100 feet within one-fourth of a mile. Great as the water-power is there is but one small grist-mill on it. Mr. Head was married in Monroe county, March 14, 1875, to Miss Carrie, daughter of J. G. and Eliza (Stewart) Phinazee, who has borne him nine children: Lucy, Hattie, James P., Robert T, Nancy E., George D., Carrie, Philip and Benjamin. For many years Mr. Head has been afflicted with rheumatism, and has to use an invalid wheel chair. Notwithstanding his affliction he is genial, jovial and hospitable, and, hence, very companionable. He is an ardent populist, and a master Mason, member of Patillo lodge No. 360. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

R. C. McGOUGH, planter and member of general assembly of Georgia for Monroe county, 1894-95, son of Bob G. and Sandal (Cabaniss) McGough, was born Sept 24, 1831. The McGoughs are of Scotch-Irish blood, whose ancestors were colonized in the north of Ireland during the protectorate of Oliver Cromwell. About 1760, Matilda Carson McGough, a widow with five or six children, in company with other emigrants, relatives and neighbors, settled in North Carolina. John McGough, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, though still a minor, enlisted in the patriot army under Col. William Washington and participated in the battles of Brandywine, Eutaw Springs and Saratoga, where he saw the proud Burgoyne surrender to Gen. Gates. He was twice wounded, once on the head by a saber in the hands of a British officer, and once by a gunshot. Soon after the revolution he was married to Margaret Mill and settled in Edgefield district, S. C, from which place he moved to White Plains, Greene county, Ga., where he died in 1847, at the ripe age of eighty-six. Mr. McGough's maternal grandfather, George Cabaniss, was of a French Huguenot family, which settled in Maryland or Virginia early in the last century. About the beginning of this century he, G. C, came to Georgia, settled for awhile in China Grove in Oglethorpe county, from whence he moved to Jones county, where he farmed, merchandised and traded with the Indians from across the Ocmulgee river. Robert McGough, father of R. C, was born in Edgefield district, S. C, March 28, 1786, and was soon after brought by his father to White Plains, Ga., where he grew to manhood. In early life he settled in Jones county, where in 1810, he was married to Miss Sandal Cabaniss. To them were born ten children, six boys and four girls: John, merchant, Columbus. Ga., accumulated quite a fortune in ante-bellum days, now deceased; Matthew O., was never married, deceased: Sarah B., married to Jacob A. Clements, Buena Vista, Ga.; Matilda died unmarried; Elizabeth, wife of Ezekiel Hollis of Brundidge, Ala., deceased; William T, mortally wounded at the battle of New Hope Church, died in Atlanta, July, 1864; George L., merchant, Columbus, Ga., deceased; Mary A., deceased, married to -Robert Minten, Buena Vista, Ga.; Robert G, farmer, Marion county, Ga.; C. C., entered First Georgia regiment, 1861, and after his time of enlistment expired joined the Forty-fifth Georgia, was made first lieutenant for gallantry on the field of battle, in 1862, and was killed leading a forlorn hope at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863. Robert McGough was a soldier in the war of 1812, and for his services drew a pension. He moved from Jones county, where he was married, to Monroe in 1823, clearing out a road through the primeval forest to his new home on Little Tobesofkee creek, where he opened a good plantation, reared and educated his children, and spent the remainder of his life. He was what is termed a good liver and accumulated a handsome property. Though he never connected himself with any church and did not believe in any creed except that of right conduct, he was always partial to the faith of his mother, who was a devout Presbyterian. He died without recantation, March 10, 1882, aged ninety-six years, lacking eighteen days. R. C. McGough received a preparatory education in the schools of the state in 1852, graduated in 1855, taught school the next year at Brownwood academy, La Grange, then a flourishing institution under the management of Hooten & Cox, and the next two years at Russellville, Ga. He studied law under the Hon. Cincinnatus Peeples and was admitted to the bar in 1860; but war coming on immediately, he was engaged in the service of the Confederacy either as soldier, enrolling officer or tax assessor during its whole continuance, and after its close retired to his farm. He served as postmaster under President Cleveland's first administration, but resigned in favor of the present incumbent before the expiration of his term. Mr. McGough was married Jan. 10, i860, to Maggie Hollis, daughter of one of the most successful farmers and earliest pioneers of Monroe county. His wife died April 9, 1871. To them were born five children: Thomas H., now a merchant at Leavenworth, Wash; Maud, Nelly and Robert at home; and May, wife of Dr. F. L, Cato, De Soto, Ga. Robert was graduated with the degree of A. B. at the Georgia university in 1890. Mr. McGough, after the death of his consort, devoted himself to the rearing and education of his children, endeavoring to supply the place of both father and mother. He has a good library and devotes much of his time reading and tries to keep in full accord with the progress of the age. He has an interesting family and kind and appreciative neighbors. He is a rationalist, believing that faith should be subordinate to reason. He is a true democrat, who thinks as long as reason is unfettered, humanity will advance; that all repressive laws that cannot be enforced are mischievous, the parent of crime, and the greatest government is the greatest individual liberty consistent with the rights of all others. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

E. M. MOORE, planter, Forsyth, Monroe Co., Ga., son of John and Nancy (Curry) Moore, was born in Monroe county, June 15, 1827. His grandfather, Elijah Moore, migrated from Maryland to Georgia in the latter part of the last century, and settled in Baldwin county, where he died. His father was born in Maryland in January, 1792, came to Baldwin county with his father, where he grew to manhood; was married in Hancock county in 1813 to Miss Nancy Curry (of Irish descent), who was born and raised there. Ten children were born to them, of which eight were raised to maturity: James C., deceased; Narcissus, widow of David Davis, Stewart county, Ga.; Mary, widow of D. M. Davison, Pike county, Ala.; E. R., planter. Bossier Parish, La.; B. F., deceased; E. M., the subject of this sketch; Jemima, deceased wife of Robert McGinty; John C, enlisted in Confederate service, 1862, and was killed in the battle of Fredericksburg. Mr. Moore's parents lived in Baldwin county until 1826, when they removed to Monroe county and settled eight miles south of Forsyth, where they lived until their death-that of the father occurring in 1870, and that of the mother in 1871. Both were members of the Primitive Baptist church. Mr. Moore was of a quiet and retiring disposition, caring nothing for politics except voting for his democratic friends; had no use for courts, and was so good a manager as to accumulate a handsome estate. He is reputed to have seen some service in the war of 1812. E. M. Moore, the subject of this sketch, has passed his life in Monroe, at the homestead where he was born, and lived the life of a farmer. In November, 1855, he was married to Miss Ann, daughter of Duncan and Mary (Holmes) McCowen, Monroe county, by whom he has had ten children: Dodie, wife of J. R. Worsham, Monroe county; John T., cotton factor, Macon, Ga.,; B. M., planter, Monroe county; James M., at home; Leila, at home; Annie, deceased wife of J. A. Smith, Houston county, Ga.; Alice, wife of D. M. Owen, Athens, Tenn.; Gussie, at home. During the war he was in the state militia, for home defense, and was detailed to help on the farm. Mr. Moore has a fine 1,250-acre plantation-reduced to that by giving off tracts from time to time to his children. He is a quiet, sociable and sensible country gentleman, looks carefully after his farm interest, and is companionable around his own hearthstone. His stock is sleek, his barns and corn cribs are never empty-"he lives at home." He is a democrat and a Primitive Baptist. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

WILLIAM A. NORWOOD, planter, Culloden, Monroe Co., Ga., a son of Caleb M. and Jane (Manson) Norwood, was born in Charlotte, N. C, Dec. 3, 1819. His father was of English and his mother of Scotch parentage; and both were born in Tennessee. After their marriage the young couple moved to North Carolina, but after living there eight years went back to Tennessee. In 1824 they moved to Georgia and settled in Talbot county, where they lived and thrived, until 1837, when they moved to Culloden, in Monroe county. They lived there until they died-his father in 1854, and his mother Oct 26, 1878 Mr. Norwood's father was a planter, but he operated a tannery and a shoe factory in addition, and was very successful in all. He was a man of great energy, enterprising and thrifty. He was one of the trustees of the school. This couple raised six children, all yet living; all have done well; one or more distinguished: Mary A., widow of Philip J. W. Echols, Columbus, Neb.; Rebecca J., widow of James Alston, near Eufaula, Ala.; William A., the subject of this sketch; Oscar A., lawyer, Navasota, Texas; Elizabeth, widow of William Askins (with son-in-law, Robert O. Banks), Forsyth, Ga.; Thomas M., lawyer, Savannah, Ga., ex-United States representative and senator. Mr. Norwood was a democrat, and a member of the Methodist church. After the death of his father, Mr. Norwood continued his enterprise until the war, when, the hands going into the war, he abandoned all except farming-a pursuit he has since very profitably followed. April 15, 1852, Mr. Norwood was married to Samantha E., daughter of William Askins-born near Culloden, Sept 17, 1833. To them eight children have been born: Anna M., wife of James M. Ponder. Atlanta; Jane M., deceased, wife of John Colbert; Amelia, wile of O. Winn, Dallas, Tex.; Evelyn, wife of W. W. Griffin, Atlanta; Caleb M., and three others. Mr. Norwood is enjoying life on his fine 1,100-acre plantation, near the old school town so famous in Monroe's history as an educational center, where many of Georgia's distinguished men were academically educated. Mr. Norwood is a democrat, a royal arch Mason, and a Methodist. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

W. H. PARKER, planter, Strouds, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Christopher and Sallie (Stroud) Parker, was born in Monroe county, March 29, 1832. The family is of Irish origin, and settled in North Carolina some years before the revolutionary war, in which Mr. Parker's grandfather, John Parker, was a soldier. He removed from North Carolina to Georgia and settled in Putnam county late in the last century, and after several years' residence there moved, about 1803, to Monroe county, where the family has since made its home. Of a family of six children, none are living. Mr. Parker's parents were born (his father about 1806) in Monroe county, where they were also married. To them twelve children were born: W. H., the subject of this sketch; Seaton, deceased; Frances, wife of Joseph Dennis, Ark.; Sarah, wife of James Rodney, Roanoke, Ala.; L. B., deceased; Mary, deceased wife of Fletcher Owens, Pike county, Ala.; Amanda, widow of a Mr. Fambro, Atlanta; Levi, enlisted in the Confederate army and killed in Pickett's famous charge at Gettysburg; John, deceased; Christopher, Arkansas; Owen, Arkansas, and Sallie, deceased; an unnamed infant, which caused the death of the mother in 1859. Mr. Parker's father was a man of great energy, very prominent and popular. He was a democrat, but such was his popularity that in the forties he overcame a whig majority of 200, and was elected to represent the county in the general assembly. He was a "war" democrat, and though exempt by age from military duty, he enlisted and served through the war, becoming the adjutant of his regiment He was a master Mason and a member of the Primitive Baptist church. He died June 3, 1893. Mr. Parker was reared and educated in Monroe county, where he has made a life business and a very successful one, of farming. He was married in Monroe county to Miss Nancy, daughter of Eleazor and Mary Adams, Nov. 11, 1853, by whom he has had two children, one an unnamed infant, and Eunice, wife of E. C. Elder, Barnesville, Pike Co., who is the mother of five children: William, George, Samuel, Eunice and John. On a splendid 1,000-acre plantation, eleven miles south of Forsyth, 500 acres in cultivation, producing 150 bales of cotton, Mr. and Mrs. Parker are spending their declining years. He lived after the war a few years in Barnesville, but superintended his plantation. He is a very positive man, prominent in county affairs, a royal arch Mason and himself and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist church. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

CAPT. A. L. PERKINS, planter and capitalist, Bolingbroke, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Alexander and Selete (Jernigan) Perkins, was born in Monroe county, Jan. 25, 1827. The family is of Scotch-Welsh origin, and have been in the main agriculturists. Capt. Perkins' grandfather, Archibald Perkins, was born in North Carolina, and before he was of age went to Virginia, where he lived during the revolutionary war, engaged as an overseer. There he married a Miss Gibbs, and not long afterward migrated to Georgia and settled in Greene county, where they raised a large family of children, and where they died, the grandfather at the age of ninety-six. As the children settled in life they remained mostly in Georgia. Alexander Perkins, the captain's father, was born in Greene county, Feb. 8, 1795. During the war of 1812-14 he was in the army on the Indian frontier. He met and married his wife, Miss Jernigan, in Hancock county, Ga. (where she was born and reared), Dec. 26, 1816. A brother of hers, Seaborn Jernigan, is now living at White Plains, Ga. Mr. Perkins lived in Greene county five years, then in Jasper two years, and thence in 1823 removed to Monroe county and settled about eight miles southeast of Forsyth on the road to Dame's ferry. Here they raised a family of eight children: Adeline, who married A. D. Steele, both deceased; Archibald, deceased at twenty-one; Elizabeth, wife of Henry Sharpe, Atlanta; A.L., subject of this sketch; W. H., deceased; Frances, wife of W. C. King, Monroe county; John, enlisted in the Fourteenth Georgia regiment, after serving in several campaigns, died of measles at Alum Springs, Va., and Albert C., Monroe county. Mr. Perkins was a systematic, painstaking and hard-working man, and accumulated considerable property, including land and slaves. He was also abstemious in his habits; chewed a little tobacco, but never smoked. He was a whig in politics, and a Methodist in religion. His wife died May 17, 1875, aged seventy-five years, and he died March 26, 1892, aged ninety-seven years. The family is remarkable for longevity, reaching years from eighty to ninety-seven. Capt. Perkins was married in Monroe county Dec, 20, 1849, to Miss Mary Jane, daughter of Amos and Nancy M. (Head) Ponder. She was born and raised in the county, her father having come to Monroe in 1824, and settled five miles north of Forsyth. To this happily-mated couple only two children have been born: Josephine Lee, at home, and Mary Lee, wife of S. B. Price, ex-mayor and present postmaster, Macon, Ga. He is one of the most popular and influential-indeed one of the foremost men in Georgia's "central city." At his large plantation of 3,300 acres at Bolingbroke, managed and cultivated under progressive, up-to-date ideas, his beautiful, modernly arranged home and elaborately laid-off and beautifully adorned grounds, Capt. Perkins is enjoying his well-earned wealth and dispersing that lavish hospitality so characteristic of the "old-time" southern planter. Capt Perkins is as public-spirited as he is wealthy, takes great interest in everything calculated to advance the community, and in political matters-local and Federal. In addition to his extensive farming interests, Capt. Perkins owns stock in the oil mills in Forsyth, in which he is the largest stockholder. He is a democrat and a Mason of forty years' standing. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

CAPT. D. S. REDDING, planter, Juliette, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Thomas and Maria (Searcy) Redding, was born in Monroe county, July 5, 1832. The Redding family is of Irish descent and members of it came from Ireland to America about the middle of the last century. The grandfather of Capt. Redding, Anderson Redding, was a soldier in the patriot army during the revolutionary war, and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. He migrated from Virginia in 1782 and settled on land subsequently included in what is now Baldwin county, Ga. He lived on this land until late in the twenties, when he followed his son (the father of Capt Redding) to Monroe county, where he lived the remainder of his life. He raised a family of six children-all now dead. One of his sons, W. C, represented his county in the general assembly. He was a Methodist and very devout Mr. Redding's father was born in 1792 and was married in Baldwin county and moved to Monroe county in 1822 and settled near Pope's Ferry, on the Ocmulgee river. Later he moved to where Capt. Redding now lives, and the house he then built is still standing. Here nine children were raised, of whom two only are living. These children were: Martha, died in Macon; William A. and James M., killed at Griswoldsville, Ga.; Thomas A., killed at Jonesboro, Ga.; Charles, captain of Floyd rifles of Macon, Ga., killed at Gettysburg in Pickett's famous charge; Mary E, widow of Thomas Dougherty, Macon, Ga.; D. S., the subject of this sketch; Sallie M., deceased wife of Capt Joseph H. White, who was killed at Manassas; John M., a member of Capt Redding's company, killed in the battle of the Wilderness. Capt. Redding's father began life very poor, but by hard work, economy and good judgment he accumulated a good property. He was one of the first settlers in Monroe county, which was organized in 1821. His mother's father (Searcy) was a teacher quite prominent in his day and accumulated a fortune, and one of her brothers was a fine physician, and another was a Baptist preacher. She died in 1857. Mr. Redding was a democrat and a very pious member of the Methodist church. He died in 1877, aged eighty-five years. Excepting when absent during the war, Capt. Redding has passed his life on his plantation in Monroe county. He enlisted in March, 1862, in Capt J. H. White's company, which became Company D, Forty-fifth Georgia regiment, and was made sergeant The command went at once to the front, and subsequently participated in the great battles of Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, the Wilderness and others. Having been detailed to guard prisoners, he was not in the Pennsylvania campaign. In 1864 he was appointed captain of the company, and was captured at Petersburg six days before the surrender. He was taken to Johnson's island, where he was kept about two months. It is an incident worthy of record that of six brothers in this family five of them gave their lives to the "lost cause." Few families can parallel this devotion, and such a sacrifice for what they deemed the right Capt Redding was married the year he was twenty-seven years old (1859) to Miss Clara P. Blantor, of Spalding county. She was a graduate of the Female college of Griffin, Ga., in i860, was the valedictorian of her class and was a woman of a superior mind and much intelligence. Her education and refined habits enabled her to be of great aid to her children in their early training, and by them she was idealized. Her goodness endeared her to neighbors and friends and it can be truly said, "None knew her but to love her." She was a conscientious Christian and was president of the Woman's Missionary society of her church when she died. Twenty-five years of a happy married life and she passed to the other shore, leaving by her pure life, holy influences, good lessons and bright works such impressions that even time can never obliterate. By this marriage there were born to him nine children: Charles D., physician. Bibb county, Ga.; W. B., teacher, Bibb county; Mamie, teacher, Bibb county; Julia, teacher, near home; Annie, at home; Alice, wife of Redding Howard, Houston county, Ga., and Rosa, Arthur T. and James A., all at home. The mother of these children died in 1885, and Capt Redding was married in Jones county, Dec. 4, 1888, to Miss Addie J., daughter of J. C. and Addie C. White. Her grandfather, James White, migrated from Virginia to Georgia, and lived first in Meriwether county, and then in other counties, and died at the age of forty-eight years. Her father settled and lived in Jones county, where his father had lived before him, and where her parents raised ten children, of whom, besides Mrs. Redding, four arc living: George B., William F., Thomas A. and Carrie, wife of F. C. Goolsby. Altogether the Redding family has a rather remarkable history in war and in peace, in its patriotic sacrifices through generations, for country, and in its historic connection with the portion of the state in which they live. Among the first settlers in Baldwin and Monroe counties, on both sides, their names are connected with their historical records, and written in Mood on battlefields. It is the pride of Capt Redding that he gave all his children the best education in his power, that they are intelligent and useful members of the communities in which they live, and are honored and esteemed, the elder ones who have gone out into the world occupying honorable positions. Capt Redding is a democrat and has served a term as county commissioner. He lives and is enjoying life on a fine 500-acre plantation nine miles east of Forsyth. He is a master Mason and is a member of the Methodist church, of which he has been a steward and class leader for forty years. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

W. E. SANDERS, merchant and mayor of Forsyth, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Brown and Elizabeth A. (Smith) Sanders, was born in Jasper county, Ga., Oct. 13, 1851. The family came from England to South Carolina before the revolutionary war. Mr. Sanders' great-grandfather, Ephraim Sanders, a soldier in the patriot army, was killed in the battle of Eutaw Springs, S. C, Sept. 8, 1781. The latter part of the last century his grandfather, a planter, migrated from South Carolina to Georgia and settled in Jones county, where he raised a large family. whose members scattered and made homes elsewhere. Here Mr. Sanders' lather was born in 1808 and grew to manhood. He then moved over into Jasper county, where he married in 1850. His mother's family were of Georgia birth, and she was raised by her grandfather, Aquilla Phelps, one of the oldest of the first settlers. After their marriage his parents moved to Jones county, where they lived seven years, and then returned to Jasper county to the old Phelps plantation, where they are living now, his father engaged in his lifetime business of farming. They had four children born to them: W. E., the subject of this sketch; Mary A., died at thirteen; Frances M., died when eighteen months old; Florence, died when seventeen years of age. Mr. Sanders was reared in Jasper county, and educated in the county schools and the Monticello high school, and took a course in the Macon Business college. In 1871 he clerked in Monticello, Ga., and beginning with 1872, he clerked for L. Greenwood & Bros., Forsyth, for several years- clerking in the fall and winter-making a crop in the summer in Jasper county. In 1877 he engaged with Solomon & Mount, remained with them until 1881, when he went into business with E. R. Roberts, under the firm name of Roberts & Sanders. The firm continued until 1883, when they were burnt out Mr. Sanders then bought his partner's interest, and has since conducted the business with phenomenal success on his own account. He carried a fine assorted general supply stock. He was elected mayor of Forsyth in 1890, re-elected since in 1892, 1893 and 1894, and is mayor now. He is captain of the Quitman guards (Company K, Second regiment infantry, Georgia volunteers). This is a "crack" company, and he has been a member of it twenty years. He is also a member of the military advisory board of the state of Georgia. Mr. Sanders was married Dec. 13, 1876, in Forsyth, Ga., to Miss Ada O., daughter of W. B. and Mattie A. Chambers, who now live in Griffin, Spalding Co., Ga. To them seven children have been born: Florence; W. B., died in 1890; May; Charlie; an infant, died unnamed; W. E., Jr., deceased. Mr. Sanders is a democrat. He is very popular, ranks high for energy and business capability, and commercial integrity. His accomplished success gives assurance of a brilliant business future [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

THOMAS G. SCOTT, planter, Brent, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Peter and Eliza S. (Gary) Scott, was born in Newton county, Ga., Dec. 12, 1828. The family is of Scotch descent, whose ancestors, as also those of Gen. Winfield Scott, were adherents of Charles Edward, the pretender. Persecution which followed the defeat at Culloden in 1745 compelled them to flee from England, and they came to America and settled on the Appomattox river in Dinwiddie county, Va., about the middle of the last century. Mr. Scott's grandfather and other members of the family were soldiers in the patriot army in the revolutionary war. Between 1790 and 1800 his grandfather, Thomas Scott, together with two brothers, Woodlief and Frederick, migrated with their families to Georgia and settled in Hancock County. Here Mr. Scott's father was born in March, 1800, and grew to manhood. He married his wife in Newton county, but he lived on and cultivated his plantation in Hancock county until his death. Six children were born to them: Thomas G., the subject of this sketch; H. G., who, after faithful service in the Confederate army, was killed at the battle of Chickamauga; Duke H., died at the age of twenty-six; Elizabeth, married William H. Means, who was killed at Sharpsburg. She afterward married W. W. Lawrence, and is now deceased. Peter W. died in his youth; Benjamin S. served in the Confederate army, now a planter, Monroe county. Mr. Scott's father was a very quiet man, conducted his planting interest with excellent judgment and success and was highly esteemed. Politically he was a democrat In religion himself and wife were ardent, working Methodists; he a pillar in, and both are alive to, the interests and advancement of Methodism. He died in 1853 and she in 1856. Thomas G. Scott was reared in Hancock county and educated at Emory college, Oxford, Ga., whence he graduated in 1853, with the degree of A. B., and taking the first honor. Adopting the profession of teaching he taught first at Sparta, Hancock Co., three years; next at Eatonton. Putnam Co., two years, and then at Forsyth-the first teacher and principal of Hilliard institute-until near the close of the war. He made his residence where he now lives in 1862. Mr. Scott was married Dec. 25, 1859, where he now lives, in the room now his family room, in which all his children were born, to Miss Emma L., daughter of Early and Lucy (Wilder) Cleveland. Mr. Cleveland came from Elbert county, Ga., to Monroe county early in the twenties, and, although not a college graduate, became one of the most distinguished and successful educators in that part of the state. Among others he prepared for college were Rev. Edward Myers, D. D., and ex-Judges Robert P. Trippe and Alexander Speer, men who rose and rank high as members of the legal fraternity and of the judiciary, and in the councils of the state and nation. His educational work covers thirty years of time-the scope of its influence none can measure, Mr. Cleveland was a successful planter as well as a ripe scholar and eminent educator. He was an ardent whig and a prominent and devoted Methodist To Mr. and Mrs. Scott eight children were born: Milton C; Lucy S., wife of George P. Rankin, Macon, Ga.; Lizzie E., died in infancy; Thomas G., Jr., student at Emory college, and Mary, Alice, Early Cleveland and Edwin at home. His attractive old-time home-"Pleasant Grove"-is one of culture and refinement, sunshine and happiness; himself well-read on all subjects, his wife a congenial companion and his children educated and intelligent It has been the home of his wife since she was two years old. Mr. Scott is a democrat, and royal arch Mason. He is a devoted, working Methodist, has been a local preacher forty-one years-thirty-six of them in the community in which he lives. In 1877 he was elected county school commissioner of Monroe county, and has held the office continuously since. His reputation as an educator extends far and wide. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

JAMES T. SEARCY, planter, Bolingbroke, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Dr. Daniel B. and Camilla J. (Thweatt) Searcy, was born in Monroe county Jan. 13, 1834. Of the many old families of Monroe and adjoining counties none stood higher in the estimation of their fellow-citizens than that represented by this estimable citizen and gentleman. For many years prior to the war the wealth and intelligence and conspicuous moral characteristics of his ancestry, on both sides, made them social and political leaders in their several communities. His great-grandfather, Searcy, was a citizen of North Carolina and reared three sons, one of whom went to Tennessee, one remained in North Carolina, and the third, William, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, came to Georgia between 1770- 80. He was a school teacher by profession, and early in life followed it, but became a planter and amassed a large property in Talbot county, where he died at the advanced age of ninety-seven years. He left three sons: John, a Baptist preacher; William, a planter, and Daniel B., physician, and father of James T. Daniel B. was given a good education, studied medicine, and was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical college, Philadelphia. He located in the southern part of Monroe county, where he built up a practice whose extent was limited only by his endurance. Dr. Searcy is affectionately remembered as a man of deep religious convictions and high moral principles; one who was actively foremost in every good work and movement promotive of the community's welfare and advancement The sterling qualities of his character caused him to be elected several times as the standard bearer of his party for legislative honors, but the county being largely whig, and he a democrat, he never succeeded. He came to Monroe county a poor man, but his great skill and ability as a physician, supplemented by uncommon sagacity in the investment of his gains, caused him to become one of the wealthiest men in the county. Dr. Searcy was married the year he came to the county, 1833. His grandfather on his mother's side, James Thweatt, was a physician, and was a surgeon in the army during the war of 1812-14. He became very wealthy, was unusually intelligent, prominent and active in politics, and quite frequently represented his county in the general assembly. The family was of Scotch descent, and moved from Hancock to Monroe county in 1821, about the time the county was organized. Dr. and Mrs. Searcy were blessed with four children: James T., the subject of this sketch; W. E. H., Griffin, Ga.; Fannie, wife of A. T. Holt, Macon, Ga.; and Carrie, deceased. The last mentioned married first B. F. Davis, who died leaving her with several children, and afterward married L. O. Hollis, and, after bearing him one child, died. Dr. Searcy was an ardent, working Methodist, and died Aug. 1, 1885; his wife died Nov. 17, 1885, aged sixty-nine years. Mr. James T. Searcy was reared in Monroe county, and has lived there all his life. He was educated at Emory college, Oxford, Ga., from which he was graduated in 1854. Early in the war he enlisted in Company D, Forty-fifth Georgia regiment, and was made second lieutenant, but was soon promoted to the first lieutenancy. He participated in the seven days' battle around Richmond, Va., but becoming disabled by sickness he came home and put in a substitute. He afterward served, however, in the Georgia militia. Mr. Searcy was married in Monroe county Aug. 31, 1854, the year of his graduation, to Miss Sarah V., daughter of John H. and Elizabeth (Redding) Greene. The Reddings were also among the earliest settlers of Monroe county, having come from Baldwin county about the time Monroe was organized. The Greenes came from Virginia, and are reputed to have been related to the great revolutionary general, Nathaniel Greene. Mrs. Searcy has two brothers living-James R. and William A., both in Lee county, Ala. To Mr. and Mrs. Searcy ten children have been born: John D., planter, Monroe county; James Thweatt, physician, Waco, Tex.; Charles R., planter, Monroe county; Henry and Herbert, at home; Kittie, single, at home; Annie, wife of Albert Harries, Meriwether county; Julia, wife of J. T. Lamar, Macon, Ga.; William E and Abner H., deceased. Mr. Searcy has resided at his present delightful home since the war, where he enjoys his ample income and the domestic comfort and pleasure it is his good fortune to be blessed with. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

JOHN R. SHANNON, physician and surgeon, Cabaniss, Monroe Co., Ga,, son of John and Rachel (Johnston) Shannon, was born in Cabaniss, Aug. 15, 1858. His grandfather, Mathew Shannon, a native of Monahan county, Ireland, raised five sons, all highly educated. Of these, three-James, Joseph and John-came to the United States in 1822. James became a very distinguished educator: First, was professor of ancient languages in the university of Georgia; then was president of the university of Louisiana, next he was president of the university of Kentucky, and, lastly, chancellor of the university of Missouri, in which position he died. Joseph, after graduating at the medical college of Georgia, established himself in the practice of medicine in Louisiana, where he died. John Shannon, the doctor's father, was born in Monahan county, Ireland, in 1807, and came to Georgia when fifteen years of age. He read medicine with Dr. Milton Antony, and, also, while boarding with his brother James, in Athens, with Dr. Henry Hull. He then entered the medical college of South Carolina, Charleston, and, graduating in 1830, located in Clinton, Jones Co., Ga.; but, after remaining there a year, removed to Cabaniss (then Gullettsville), where he remained as long as he lived. He married his wife-whose family had recently removed thither from Elbert county-just after settling; in Cabaniss, and to them ten children were born: Sarah J., deceased wife of Fleming J. Ward; Annie E., wife of Judge Monroe Clowerm, Forsyth, Ga.; James M., Cabaniss; Susan B., married Judge Mobley, now deceased; James H., Company H, Thirty-second Georgia regiment, killed at bombardment of Charleston, in 1864; Elizabeth B., deceased wife of W. B. Watts; William L., Company H, Thirty-second Georgia regiment, killed at Rivers' bridge, in 1864; John L., died in infancy; Walter D., died in infancy; John R., the subject of this sketch. His reputation for skill as a physician was excellent. He also took great interest in politics-and was a member of the constitutional convention of 1866. He died in July, 1872, and his wife in August, 1891. Dr. Shannon was educated at Hilliard institute, Forsyth, where he took the scholarship of the university of Georgia, from which institution he graduated with the degree of A. B. in 1873. Only fifteen, out of a class of sixty, obtained degrees. He then took a course at the Eastman Business college. In 1874-75 he engaged in mercantile business in Forsyth, and in 1875 traveled in the west. The next three years he taught school at his old home, Cabaniss. He then merchandized at Cabaniss until 1893, when he entered Atlanta Medical college. When he graduated, was valedictorian of his class. He located at Cabaniss, where he has taken high rank, and is building up an excellent and prospectively lucrative practice. Well educated, and of superior intellectuality, a refined gentleman, literary and scientific in taste, and ambitious of distinction, he is quite certain to rise in his profession. He is, as yet, unmarried. He is a member of the board of education, of which he has been president twice. He is a democrat, a royal arch Mason, and a Missionary Baptist. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

WILLIAM D. STONE, lawyer, Forsyth, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Charles and Mary S. (Griffin) Stone, was born in Dadeville, Ala., Sept 12, 1844. His grandfather was of English descent, and came from Virginia to Georgia, went to Florida, and, later, thence to Montgomery county, Ala. He was a planter, and was very wealthy in both land and Negroes. He was married three times, and had twenty-four sons and three daughters. Judge Stone's father was born in Montgomery county, Ala., and he grew to manhood in that state. He was a planter and a prominent politician. As a whig he represented Tallapoosa county in the legislature of Alabama from 1835 to 1846. After that he went as first lieutenant of Capt Dennis' company of volunteers to the Mexican war. He was married in 1838, in Dadeville, Tallapoosa county, to Miss Mary E Griffin, who was born in Columbus, Ga., whence her family moved to Alabama. About 1858 his father moved to Lafayette, the county-seat, for the purpose of educating his children, and died there in 1865. He was a member of the Missionary Baptist church. Judge Stone's parents raised a family of seven children: Fannie, deceased, wife of Thomas B. Mitchell, Gilmer, Texas; William D., the subject of this sketch; Eugenia, wife of George Bertram, Macon, Ga.; Alice B., widow of Charles P. Toney, now Mrs. Joseph Copps, Macon, Ga.; Tecumseh, paying teller, Central bank, Macon; Oceola B., and Black Hawk. Mr. Stone's mother makes her home with him. Mr. Stone received his early education at Lafayette, and, later, at Southwood, Talladega, Ala. He ran away from school and enlisted in the Tuskegee Zouaves, at Winchester, Va., which became Company B, of the Fourth Alabama regiment He participated in the first Manassas battle, and saw Gen. Bartow fall, when killed. His regiment went into battle 1,000 strong, and came out with a little over 100-Mr. Stone was slightly wounded, and reported killed. He remained in the army in Virginia two years, and was in the seven days' and other bloody battles. He got a discharge and returned home; but in two or three months joined Forrest's cavalry, Sixth Alabama, and remained with him until the surrender. He was in the battles of Resaca and New Hope, and on the retreat from Atlanta, and was paroled at Forsyth. After a farming venture he taught school at Hilliard institute, Forsyth, meantime studying law under Col. A. D. Hammond, and was admitted to the bar in 1867. He entered into partnership with his preceptor-the firm being Hammond & Stone, which continued until 1872, when he withdrew and purchased an interest in the "Monroe Advertiser.'' After a year's editorial life he sold his interest in the paper and resumed the practice of law in partnership with J. H. Turner-as Stone fit Turner. Mr. Turner moved away and Mr. Stone was appointed judge of the county court-a position he held four years-1879-83. He next entered into partnership with G. J. Wright, as Wright & Stone, which continued-1889-92-when he went into partnership with William Cark, as Stone & Clark, which firm still exists. Judge Stone has an excellent patronage, and stands high in rank with the bar and the people. When at home on a furlough, March 1, 106$, Judge Stone was married to Miss Mary E., daughter of O. H. P. Ponder, who was born and raised in Monroe county. Two children have been born to them: Charles O., and Clyde. Charles is in business with Cox & Corbin, wholesale supply house, Macon, Ga. He is married to Addie, Mr. Corbin's daughter, who was educated by Judge Stone, when he was principal at Hilliard institute. Clyde, the daughter, who is at home, finished her education at Wesleyan Female college, Macon Ga. Judge Stone is a very ardent and enthusiastic Mason-a Knight Templar, past high priest of his chapter, and past eminent commander of William Tracy Gould commandery. Judge Stone has in his possession a very interesting-and to him very valuable-heirloom of his family, in connection with masonry. It is a masonic apron-real sheepskin- beautifully and elaborately embroidered with colored silk, which has passed from generation to generation in the Stone family for nearly eight centuries. It was presented to, Lieut. Donworth-who married a Stone-in England, in 1102, and, as may be supposed, Judge Stone is very proud of it, and cherishes it most fondly. Judge Stone is member and a steward of the Methodist church. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

EDEN TAYLOR, planter, Pope's Ferry, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Job and Mary (Warthen) Taylor, was born in Monroe county, Nov. 8, 1834. He is a descendant on both sides, from some of the best Virginia families, and from the earliest settlers in Washington and Monroe counties, a noble scion of old, honorable and honored ancestral stock. Job Taylor, his father, was born in Virginia, and, at maturity, came with his brothers, George and Robert, to Georgia, and, in 1824, settled in Monroe county, a few miles east of Forsyth. As he prospered he added to his domain until he was the largest land-owner in the county, his holdings amounting to 10,000 acres in Monroe and adjoining counties, besides about 30,000 acres of wild lands in Alabama. He lived to accumulate the largest landed and slave property of any citizen of the county, and at the same time was known and recognized as one of the most austerely religious of men. Mr. Taylor is remembered by the older citizens as one who possessed, in a very remarkable degree, true piety and extraordinary business ability, a rare combination to maintain, as the money-making faculty too often overshadows or entirely overcomes, the religious sentiment It was often remarked of him that Job Taylor came nearer "serving God and mammon" than any man of his time. In the use of his wealth Mr. Taylor was exceedingly public-spirited and charitable. No school or church committee ever failed to receive a liberal response, while he was ever ready to extend generous aid to neighbors in obtaining facilities for utilizing or making their products. When the Central railway was projected (then known as the Monroe railroad) he was one of its earliest and stanchest supporters in his locality. He finally lost over $30,000 in consequence of his excess of enthusiasm and over-zealousness, as he graded a large number of miles for which he never received a cent As already remarked, Mr. Taylor lived his religion. It entered into every act of his life. The family altar was as much an institution of his home as his dining table. It is said that, no matter what time of night he came in, if delayed from any cause, the candles were lit and the entire family assembled to be present at prayers. Mr. Taylor married Miss Mary Warthen, in Washington county, when she was but sixteen years old-he being thirty-five. She proved to be a helpmate indeed, a woman fit in every respect to be his life-companion. Loving, affectionate and charitable, she was the embodiment of Christian gentleness. In her latter days she became entirely blind, but it is related that during the war, notwithstanding this sad deprivation, she kept an entire company supplied with socks, knitting them with her own hands. She died in 1880, aged eighty-two years, having outlived her husband twenty-four years. This union was blessed with ten children: William, deceased; Sarah, widow of Col. W. H. Long; Frank, deceased, George, deceased; Mary, deceased; Job E, deceased; Eden the subject of this sketch; Camilla, deceased; Elijah B., Monroe county, and Rebecca, deceased. Eden Taylor has passed a life of usefulness on his plantation in Monroe county. He is best known throughout the state as the efficient secretary of the state grange during its entire existence, from 1872 to 1888. It is but just to say that the success of that excellent farmers' organization in Georgia was largely due to his untiring efforts. He is now a member of the board which has charge of the state experiment station. Mr. Taylor has been married twice. He was first married near Perry, Houston Co., in 1859, to Miss Georgia V. Tharp, by whom he had four children: Guy, farmer, Bibb county, Ga.; Maud, deceased; Claudia, wife of Will G. Bass, Bibb county, and Georgia E, a lovely girl, who died June 1, 1894. The mother of these children died in 1872, and Mr. Taylor contracted a marriage in 1874, near Hayneville, Houston Co., with Miss Sallie H. Brown. This second union has been blessed with four children: Rosa, Odille, Brown and Eden, Jr. As were his people before him, he is a member of the Missionary Baptist church, a public-spirited citizen, and a courteous gentleman. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

J. M. THOMAS, planter and stockman, Forsyth, Monroe Co., Ga., son of John H. and Nancy (Carr) Thomas, was born in Monroe county, March 9, 1839. Mr. Thomas' father was born and reared in Jones county, Ga. About 1835 he moved over into Monroe county and settled within three miles of Forsyth. A few years afterward he moved into the town, where he engaged in merchandising, trading and speculation. He was cautious and shrewd, a careful manager, and regarded as a man of the highest integrity. For these reasons he was frequently selected as administrator of estates. He was a strong democrat, and although he cared nothing for the distinction or emoluments of office for himself, he took great interest in the success of his friends. He was very successful and accumulated a large estate before his death, which occurred in 1858. His last wife died in 1890. He was married twice and reared a family of nine children, all of whom are dead but two. His first wife was a Carson, by whom he had two children: W. J., deceased, and Sallie, now wife of W. W. Jackson, of Culloden, Monroe Co. Of Mr. Thomas' full brothers and sisters only two lived to maturity: Isaac, now deceased, and Lucy, who married Alvin Stafford, of Barnesville, Ga., now dead. Mr. Thomas was reared in Monroe county, and received his early education at Hilliard institute and Mercer university, and was at the university of Virginia when the war between the states began. He came home, and, in conjunction with his brother, W. J., assumed the management of his father's business. During the war he operated a tannery for the government, and made shoes for the soldiers. Since the surrender he has been engaged in planting and trading in stock. He owns several plantations, aggregating about 500 acres, near town, and is one of company owning several thousand acres in the county. Mr. Thomas was married in Macon, Ga., Nov. 26, 1863, to Miss Greta, daughter of Dr. D. W. Hammond, of Macon, formerly of Culloden, where she was born and reared. She was of a family, which, though not numerous in Georgia, is conspicuous for its intellectuality and religion. Five children blessed this union: Leola, wife of C. L. Edwards, Atlanta; Greta, wife of J. B. Fleming, planter, Monroe county; Ida, single, at home; Ella, widow of J. B. Barnes, formerly of Marietta, Ga., who, with her daughter, is with her father, and Jeffie, also at home. Mr. Thomas' wife died in June, 1890. She was a member of the Methodist church, of which Mr. Thomas and the children are also members. He is also a master Mason. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

T. E. WALTON, merchant and farmer, Bolingbroke, Monroe Co., Ga., son of Henry W. and Lorania P. (Redding) Walton, was born in Monroe county, June 7, 1844. His father was born and reared to manhood in Virginia. When of age he came to Baldwin county, Ga., and, about 1820, married his wife, who belonged to an old pioneer and influential family. In 1825 he moved to Monroe county, and settled about twelve miles east of Forsyth. Here were born and reared nine children: B. F., planter, New London, Ark.; Rebecca D., wife of J. H. Evans, Monroe county, Ga.; David A., deceased; H. H., Grapeland, Texas; Mary E, wife of B. F. Cadenhead, Sand Mountain, Ala.; J. G. R., enlisted in an Alabama regiment and died of typhoid fever soon after the battle of Bull Run; Martha L., wife of J. H. Cates, McRae, Ga.; Thomas E, the subject of this sketch; William W., planter, Monroe county. His father was a member of the Methodist church and died in 1854; and his mother died in 1884 aged eighty-one years. Mr. Walton was reared on a farm and his education limited to county common schools, but he was industrious, saving and ambitious. In 1869 he bought an interest in the general merchandise business of J. W. Jackson, and continued it under the firm name of Jackson & Walton; subsequently Mr. Ewing bought Mr. Jackson's interest, and the firm was changed to Walton & Ewing, under which it is now conducted. From a small beginning he has built a good trade, has a good stock of general merchandise, and a nice farm and comfortable home. In 1876 Mr. Walton was married in Monroe county to Miss Fannie B. Ewing, who died childless in 1881. In February, 1883, he was married to Miss Sallie, daughter of Peyton and Annie E. Cocke, who was a native of the county, and who has borne two children: Thomas E, Jr., and Annie Lou. Mr. Walton is a democrat, a member of the Methodist church, of which he is a steward and Sunday school superintendent, and is held in high estimation by the community in which he lives. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]


R. L. WILLIAMS is the principal merchant in the prosperous little community of Juliette, on the E T, Va. & Ga. railway, in the northeastern part of Monroe county. Although young in years, Mr. Williams is old in experience, having been reared and thoroughly educated in the business in which he has been so successful. His genial, and jovial, and sunshiny nature has drawn to and around him hosts of friends and a liberal patronage, which his unswerving integrity of character, and the downright honesty of dealings have kept, and disclose the real reason for the large trade he commands. Mr. Williams is the son of R. M. and Virginia (Chambliss) Williams, and was born in Tazewell county, Va., June 1, 1861. His father was also born in the same county, but in his young manhood came to Monroe county, Ga. His stay, however, was not long, as after his marriage he returned with his young wife to his Virginia home. After the birth of his boy Mr. Williams brought his wife and child to Monroe county, and placing them in charge of her parents that they might be safe from the impending ravages of war, he returned to Virginia and entered the Confederate army and served faithfully to the end. In 1863 Mr. Williams' mother died leaving him to the care of his grandparents. After the war his father returned to Monroe county and married Miss Alice Chambliss, sister of his first wife, who survives him, at Juliette. He engaged in merchandising for some years at Forsyth, and then in the country, where, in addition, he had extensive planting interests. Being a man of excellent business judgment, combining enterprise with prudence, and a complete master of the details of business, he was successful in his undertakings, and at his death, in 1884, left his family in comfortable circumstances. R. L. Williams was reared behind the counter. After passing his eighteenth birthday he supplemented his common school education with a thorough business course at the Eastman Commercial college at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Returning home thus equipped he engaged for a year as a clerk with J. J. Cater & Co. at Forsyth. In 1882, in company with his father, Mr. Williams established the business at Juliette, which, under his able management, has grown to such magnitude and attained to such prosperity. Occupying a spacious and cheerful-looking store building of his own, eligibly situated and carrying a $3,500 stock of merchandise and plantation supplies, combined with his superior business training and capabilities, his commercial future is bright in the extreme. Mr. Williams was happily married June 1, 1884, to Miss Lizzie, daughter of Dr. William and Melinda (Harris) Speer, who, at the age of seventeen, graduated with the first honor at the Georgia Baptist seminary, at Gainesville, Ga. Dr. Speer was a successful and prominent physician in Monroe county, who had two children besides Mrs. Williams: Robert J., reading law, and acting as stenographer in the law office of Dessau & Hodges, Macon, Ga., and Annie Belle, at Macon. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Williams has been blessed with eight bright children: R. L., Jr., Paul R., Jack H., Guy W., Helen V., Alice E., Charles M. and Malinda M. Mr. Williams in politics is a democrat He is a master Mason, a member of Zabud lodge No. 175, and a Methodist, a steward in the church at Juliette. [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

JUDGE B. H. ZELLNER, Forsyth, Ga.. is the head of one of the largest and most influential families in Monroe county, all of whose members occupy honorable positions in their several communities, commercially and socially. For seventy years, continuously, Judge Zellner has been a resident of the county, during which period he has come to be regarded as one of the most reliable and trustworthy of men-a man of the sternest morality and of unbending integrity. So conspicuous have been these characteristics, and so excellent his business capabilities, that he has been entrusted, as administrator or executor, with the management of more estates than any man in the county. He has the remarkable record of having settled some twenty-three estates, some of them the largest in the county, without the loss of a dollar or the aid of the courts. The family is of German origin, George Zellner, the judge's grandfather, having been born and reared to young manhood in Hanover, Germany. The independence of the United States having been established he concluded to cast his lot with the new nation, and came first to North Carolina and settled in Bertie county, where not long after he married a Miss Mary Capheart. Several years afterward, in 1799, he migrated to Lincoln county, Ga., thus introducing the name into this state. He was not a robust man, his constitution having been impaired in consequence of medicine having been carelessly administered in his youth, and he died at a comparatively early age. He raised a family of four sons and two daughters, who scattered after his death to Tennessee, Alabama and elsewhere. Andrew Zellner, Judge Zellner s father, was born in North -Carolina in 1798, and was only six months old when the family came to Georgia. He was reared in Lincoln county, and was married in 1818, just across the line in Wilkes county, to Rebecca Holmes, who bore him eight children: B. H., the subject of this sketch; Francis A., deceased; George; Andrew B.; John W., planter, Monroe county; James, deceased; Mary, widow of Ebenezer Pharr, Forsyth, Ga., and Sarah J., wife of William Walker, Thomaston, Ga. In 1824 he moved with his family to Monroe county and settled about eight miles southwest of Forsyth, where he lived until 1837, when he moved to the place where Judge Zellner now lives, four miles southeast of Forsyth. His wife died in 1875. aged seventy-two years, but he survived until 1892, having attained to his ninety-fourth year. In some respects he was a remarkable man, his longevity being largely due to his methodical habits and abstemiousness, it being a fact worthy of note and imitation that he never used tobacco in any form, nor drank a drop of liquor except as a medicine. Before the war he was a whig in politics; a Primitive Baptist always. Judge B. H. Zellner was born in Lincoln county, Feb. 2, 182a He received a common school education such as the time and the locality afforded, and his youth was passed in the pursuits congenial to the planter-life of the day. In 1850-51, as soon as he attained to his majority, he served the county as sheriff, and for several years following as one of the justices of the inferior court Before the war he was a whig and strongly opposed to secession. In the convention which nominated the delegates to represent the county, his name was presented without his consent, but he came within four votes of being chosen. Although opposed to secession, he acquiesced in the action of the convention, and earnestly supported the cause to the end. Having large planting and milling interests, he was exempt from military duty; but he contributed largely to the support of the army, and sent two of his sons to the front to do battle for the cause. He was elected to represent the county in 1868-69 in the general assembly, and again in 1878-79. In 1876 he was chosen as one of the new board of county commissioners and served until 1883, which terminated his official life. There has been no period in the life of Judge Zellner when he did not feel a profound interest in the welfare of the county- local, state and Federal-whether in office or not In all the trusts confided to him he has maintained his character for faithfulness and strict integrity, and given the same careful attention to public business as to his private affairs. He was at one time one of the largest land owners in Monroe county, but he has divided his holdings among his children until he has reduced his own to about 500 acres. Judge Zellner was married in Monroe county, Sept. 27, 1842, to Susan, (daughter of Thomas M. Evans. She was born in Jones county, but her family moved into Monroe county about the same time the Zellners did. Judge Zellner and his wife have had eight children born to them: Thomas J. and Andrew J., planters, Monroe county; Nancy R., widow of Dr. B. F. Chambliss, Culloden, Monroe Co.; Emma, wife of Hon. W. A. Worsham, Monroe county; Wiley E., planter and county treasurer; William J., planter, Monroe county; Charles J., merchant, Forsyth, Ga., and Lillie, wife of Col. C. J. Shipp, lawyer, Cordele, Ga. Although an ardent whig before the war, he cheerfully fell into line with the only white man's party, and has since acted with the democrats. For fifty-two years himself and wife have harmoniously "kept together" on life's pilgrimage, and for more than fifty years he has been a constant member of the Primitive Baptist church, and can now look back upon a well-spent life and duty faithfully done, and look confidently forward to the fulfillment of the glorious promises "to him that overcometh." [Source: "Memoirs of Georgia: containing historical accounts of the State's Civil, Military, Industrial and Professional Interests, and Personal Sketches of Many of its People, Vol. II; The Southern Historical Association, 1895 - transcribed by Karen Seeman]

WILLIAM J. ZELLNER, planter, Strouds, Monroe Co., Ga., son of B. H. and Susan (Evans) Zellner, Was born in Monroe county, Jan. 31, 1857. He was reared and educated in the county and has thus far passed his life as a planter, deriving his chief enjoyment and most real pleasure from the successful management of his plantation. This is a tract of nearly 600 acres of as choice land as can be found in Monroe county, about ten miles southwest of Forsyth. Intelligent and progressive in his methods, and availing himself of improved machinery, he realizes the most satisfactory results. Mr. Zellner was married in Spalding county, Ga., May 23, 1889, to Miss Hattie, only daughter of D. C. and Pelly (Jones) Fountain, who has borne him one child, Elsie Louise. Mr. Zellner is a worthy representative of one of the deservedly most honored families in Monroe county, and is himself held in the highest esteem by his fellow-citizens. Upright and blameless in life, of irreproachable character and unswerving integrity, he is justly entitled to the confidence reposed in him by his neighbors and friends.

Cabaniss, Thomas Banks, soldier, lawyer, state senator, congressman, was born Aug. 31, 1835 in Forsyth, Ga. He entered the confederate army in 1861; and surrendered with General Lee at Appomattox. He was elected to the house of representative of Georgia in 1865; and four times subsequently to the state senate. He was solicitor-general of the Flint circuit for a term of four years; and has been mayor of his native city. In 189395 he was a representative from Georgia to the fifty-third congresses as a democrat.
[Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]


Merritt, Robert Lewis, is an able member of the Hancock county bar and is established in successful practice in Sparta. He was born in Monroe county, Ga., Aug. 24, 1867, and is a son of Capt. John R. and Mary Gayle (Lewis) Merritt, the former of whom was born in Monroe county and the latter in Hancock county. John R. Merritt was captain of Company A, Fourteenth Georgia volunteer infantry, in the Confederate service in the Civil war, making a record for gallantry and intrepid valor. He is now living at Sparta. His wife died Feb. 22, 1905. Robert L. Merritt secured his early educational training in the schools of his native county, having been for some time a student in Hilliard institute, now the Banks Stevens institute in Forsyth. He read law under the preceptorship of Robert L. Berner, of that place, and was admitted to the bar on Sept. 8, 1888. He initiated the practice of his profession in Forsyth, whence he removed to Barnesville, Pike county, in 1889, there remaining in practice until 1896, when he located in Sparta, where he has built up a flourishing and important professional business. He was associated in practice with Thomas M. Hunt for five years after coming to Sparta, and since that time has conducted an individual practice. Mr. Merritt is a leader in the local ranks of the Democracy. In 1898 he was elected to represent Hancock county in the state legislature, being chosen as his own successor in 1900, and in 1902-3 he served as a member of the state senate, making an excellent record in both houses of the legislative body.
[Source: Georgia Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons,  Vol 2, Publ 1906. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister]


Speer, Emory, jurist, was born at Culloden, Monroe county, Ga., Sept. 3, 1848. At the age of sixteen years he entered the Confederate army, and during the reconstruction days worked earnestly and effectively to redeem his state from negro domination. As a reward for his services in this line he was appointed solicitor-general by Governor Smith. In 1878 he was elected to Congress as an independent, defeating the Democratic nominee. In 1880 he was reelected, again defeating the Democratic nominee; was appointed a member of the ways and means committee as a protectionist; and was one of the conference committee between the house and the senate that reported the bill which afterward be­ came the tariff of 1883. At the close of his second term he was appointed United States district attorney at Atlanta, by President Arthur, and won considerable renown in certain Ku Klux trials: In February, 1885, he was appointed United States district judge for the Southern district of Georgia. Judge Speer was one of the orators at the opening of the Cotton States Exposition at Atlanta in September, I895; at the Peace Jubilee at Chicago in October, 1898, and at Savannah on John Marshall day in February, 1901. Although a Methodist he is president of the law department of Mercer university, a Baptist institution. He is the author of "Removal of Causes from State to United States Courts", and "Lectures on the Constitution of the United States". His home is at Macon.
Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz

Speer, Thomas, was born in Monroe county in 1837. He received a common school education and engaged in mercantile pursuits. He was appointed to several offices under the Confederate government; was a member of the constitutional convention in 1867; elected state senator in 1868 and representative in Congress on the Republican ticket in 1870. He died at Augusta in 1872 before the expiration of his term.
Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz


ARNOLD, JOHN WELLINGTON
Halifax County, Virginia, was the place of the first settlement in this country of the Arnold family to which the subject of this sketch belongs.  The first ancestors were among the early colonial settlers.  James Fielding Arnold, was a native of Halifax County.  He moved to North Carolina when a young man, and on the declaration of hostilities between the colonies and Great Britain he became a major in the State militia and served through the Revolutionary war.  The Tories destroyed all his property and he found himself at the end of the war with nothing but a military record with which to begin life.  This, however, was sufficient, as family tradition says that he died at a good old age, comparatively well fixed.  His son, Jesse Henry Arnold, who was born in Mecklenburg, North Carolina, moved to Georgia and settled first in Morgan and then in Walton County in the year 1823.  He had some farming interests but was mainly throughout life a merchant.  At the time he began business in Monroe, the county-seat of Walton County, there were only four stores there.  He was in business up to the breaking out of the war.  He died in May, 1866.  He was a man of moral, upright life, temperate and systematic habits, frank and generous, of calm and even temperament, possessing a clear judgment, strong convictions and warm affections for his friends and family.  He connected himself in early life with the Methodist Church, and was a devoted and consistent member of that organization till the day of his death.  Mary Jackson, wife of Jesse Henry Arnold and mother of the subject of this sketch, was a daughter of Col. Samuel Jackson, a wealthy planter and leading politician of Clarke County.  In later years he moved to Walton County, where he died.  The children of Jesse Henry and Mary Jackson were: J. W., whose name appears at the head of this sketch, Eugenius C. and Octavia, wife of Crayton Daughn.  J. W. Arnold was born in Monroe, Walton County, Ga., December 16, 1833.  He was educated at the State University at Athens and at Emory College, Oxford, graduation in 1855.  He read law with Judge D. H. Walker, of Monroe, and was admitted to the bar in 1856.  He was in practice at Monroe until the breaking out of the war.  He enlisted in Company C, Ninth Georgia Regiment, and on June 10, 1861, began the march with his regiment to join the army of Virginia.  He served throughout the Peninsula campaign and was in all the engagements in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania; was with the detachment sent west to the relief of Bragg, and participated in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Knoxville, and other points in that locality; was again sent east to join Lee’s army; was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Hanover Junction, and on down to Cold Harbor and all the other engagements up to the surrender of Appomattox.  He entered as first lieutenant of his company on its organization.  He was promoted through the several grades up to major of his regiment, which office was bestowed upon him June 16, 1864, after the battle of the Wilderness, and he came out with this rank at the close.  Major Arnold was wounded three times; he received a wound in the ankle at Crampton’s Gap, one in the breast at the battle of the Wilderness, and one in the hip at the battle of Deep Bottoms in Virginia.  After the surrender Major Arnold returned to Monroe and resumed the practice of law and there he has been and has continued since.  He was elected a delegate from Walton County to the State constitutional convention in 1865, and he was fro some years solicitor of the county court of Walton County when that court was first organized; but with these exceptions he has been very little in public life.  He prefers the practice of law to all other callings or diversions, and his strong attachment for his profession and strict attention to all its duties and obligations have been the secret of the success he has achieved.  Major Arnold is married, his wife’s maiden name being Florence A. Holt, daughter of Nathaniel Holt, formerly of Walton County, Ga., late of Tuscogee, Alabama.  The Holts are a historic family in Georgia and the branch of the family to which Mrs. Arnold belongs was among the pioneer settlers of Walton County, the old “Cow Pens,” now noted throughout the State as a place of historic interest, being the site of the then first settlement in Georgia.  He has only one child, Jackson, fifteen years of age.
[Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]



©Genealogy Trails