(The personal accounts appearing in this chapter include only those
families from which the necessary data was received, and therefore do
not include as complete a list of the pioneer families of the county as
could be desired. For information concerning other early families,
however, the reader is referred to Chapter III, which gives the name,
age, and native State of every person residing in Pickens County when
the Census of 1860 was taken; and which includes nearly all the pioneer
residents of the county.—L. E. T.)
Anderson Alex Anderson Jr. was bom in Banffshire, Scotland, on May 6,
1873, and came with his parents to New York in 1882. He was educated in
the schools of that city, and served his draftsman's apprenticeship in
the office of Stanford White, the noted architect. He came to Georgia
in 1896 to go with the Blue Ridge Marble Company. Mr. Anderson is an
expert in all lines of the marble industry and has been an important
factor in the development of The Georgia Marble Company, of which he is
now first vice-president. He is also an enthusiastic lover of sports,
being well known as a hunter and fisherman.
In 1904 Mr. Anderson married Miss Vinita Tate, daughter of Col. Stephen
C. Tate, and they have two daughters.
Atherton William C. Atherton, one of the founders of the textile
industry in North Georgia, was a native of Manchester, England. At an
early age he came to America with his brothers, James and Thomas, and
the family settled at Paterson, N. J. William Atherton moved to Georgia
and in about 1840 settled at Roswell, where he started the Rosweli
Cotton Mills. Seven years later he moved to Pickens County, and in the
late 'sixties he and his two brothers erected the old Talking Rock
Cotton Factory, the first textile mill in the entire section.
William Atherton went to Cherokee County for a time and operated a yarn
factory on Shoal Creek in partnership with J. V. Keith, but after a few
years he returned to Pickens and with his brother, Thomas, opened the
Harmony Cotton Mills south of Jasper.
J. T. Atherton, son of William C. and Catherine Dutcher Atherton, was
born in 1859 at the old Talking Rock factory and lived there until he
was a young man. He then moved to Waleska, where he married Miss
Florence M. Barrett. Going thence to Alice, Ga., he superintended the
Harmony Cotton Mills for a number of years, moving to Jasper in 1897.
He was elected clerk and treasurer of Pickens County in 1900 and served
four years in office, and also represented the county in the
legislature during 1909-10. He was in the mercantile business for
eighteen years at Tate, and now conducts a similar business at Jasper.
The Bradleys were one of the first families to settle in what
is now Pickens County. Nauphlet Bradley, father of B. B. Bradley of
Talking Rock, was one of the men who helped to gather the Indians of
tliis section into the fort at Sanderstown in 1838. The family came
from North Carolina.
B. B. Bradley was born in 1861 and is one of the oldest and most
respected citizens of Talking Rock. He recalls many interesting events
in the history of the county, including the founding of the old
Ludville High School, one of the first institutions of higher learning
in the entire section, and the establishment by the Atherton brothers
of the Talking Rock Cotton Factory. A. B. Bradley, a brother, was a
member of the General Assembly in 1915 and 1916.
Hon. Sion A. Darnell was born in Pickens County on De-cember
28, 1845. He attended the first school in Pickens County in 1855, and
afterwards such schools as this section afforded. At an early age he
developed a thirst'for knowledge and began to read extensively. At the
age of seventeen he taught a large and flourishing school near his home.
He was familiar with the patriotic speeches of Clay and Webster and
when the vicissitudes of war broke up his school, he with his father
and a younger brother escaped from the Confederacy. They, like many
others in Pickens County, were opposed to Secession. They were captured
by Confederate scouts and condemned to be shot. Taken to the place of
execution they were rescued and released by Union soldiers. Sion
Darnell became a private in the Union army and was honorably discharged
at the termination of hostilities.
In January, 1866, Mr. Darnell was elected tax collector of Pickens
County, and at the next election he was chosen to represent Pickens
County in the General Assembly as a re-publican. In September, 1872, he
was admitted to the bar, and in March, 1873, he was appointed special
commissioner of claims for Georgia. He held this appointment until
January, 1879, when he resigned to accept an appointment as U. S.
attorney for the district of Georgia, which he held until March, 1882,
in the meantime representing the federal government in cases from
Georgia before the French-American claims commission, then in session
at Washington. In July, 1882, he was appointed U. S. attorney for the
southern district of Georgia and served four years in this capacity. In
1889 he was appointed U. S. attorney for the northern district of
Georgia by President Harrison, and served here another four years.
Mr. Darnell was active in politics and an ardent supporter of the Grand
Army of the Republic, becoming post commander of two G. A. R. posts in
Georgia and a delegate to the Milwaukee convention in 1889. He was
always a strong supporter of the schools and churches.
He married Miss Susie Hotchkiss, of Marietta, Ga. Surviving are a son,
Sion A. Darnell, Jr., and a daughter, Mrs. Will Jones, both of Atlanta.
Hon. William Thomas Day, a widely-known lawyer and jurist of
Pickens County, was born September 30, 1828, in Walton County, Ga., and
died June 10, 1916, at his home in Jasper, Ga. Colonel Day was highly
esteemed for his valuable services to his county and state and for his
many good qualities as a citizen.
His grandfather, William Day, was born in Virginia and served under
Washington during the Revolutionary War. William Day moved to South
Carolina and married a Miss Munday. To this union was born Lewis Day,
who came to Georgia and married Miss Alpha Dixon. They settled in
Walton County, but in 1842 they moved to what is now Pickens County,
with their son, William Thomas Day.
Colonel Day had in his youth such educational advantages as the section
afforded, and he applied himself diligently to his studies. At the age
of twenty-six he began to study law with Daniel H. Byrd, of Canton, and
on October 4, 1854, he was admitted to the practice of law by Judge
David Irwin, of the Blue Ridge Circuit. His ability at the bar soon won
him many clients.
He was a delegate from Pickens County to the Secession Convention of
1861, and there opposed Secession; but at the outbreak of the Civil War
he immediately enrolled in Company I, Eighth Regiment of Georgia
Volunteers. He served honorably for three years and emerged from the
war with the rank of captain.
On May 14, 1866, he was appointed solicitor of the Pickens County
Court. In 1877 he served as a delegate to the convention called to
revise the state constitution. In 1880-81 he represented Pickens County
in the general assembly, and in 1884-85 and 1909-1910 he represented
his senatorial district in the same body.
Colonel Day built up a large law practice and was known as one of the
state's ablest criminal lawyers. He was also interested in matters of
public welfare and served several years on the county board of
education. He belonged to the Methodist Church and to the Masonic
He married Miss Theresa Craig, of Harris County, on September 18, 1866,
and six children were born to the union. Mrs. Day died February 11,
1894. The following children survived Colonel Day at the time of his
death: Mrs. W. A. Hamrick, Ludville, Ga.; Mrs. William J. Russell,
Athens, Ga.; C. P. Day, Atlanta, Ga.; W. T. Day, Jr., Jasper, Ga.; and
Craig Day, Birmingham, Ala.
The family of Jim Eaton was one of the first to settle in the
western part of Pickens County, coming here from Forsyth County near
Cumming. Mrs. Jim Eaton, formerly Mary Jackson, had come from South
Carolina. She was one of the six charter members of the early Methodist
church at Hinton. The children of Jim and Mary Eaton were: Zim, Jule,
Joe, Will, Milt, Sarah (Mrs. Dunn), Emma (Mrs. Bradley), and Ophelia
Joe M. Eaton, son of Jim and Mary Jackson Eaton, is a successful
business man of the county, with mercantile, banking, and marble
interests. He lives at Marble Hill.
Henry Fitzsimmons, a pioneer in the marble industry of Pickens
County, immigrated from Ireland to this country in the early 'twenties
at the age of about twenty-four, and married Almyra Thebert, of
Greenville, S. C. They moved to Lawrenceville, Ga., where Mr.
Fitzsimmons pursued the occupations of contractor and stone-mason,
erecting several of the early public buildings of that section. About
1836 he moved to the Long Swamp Valley in Cherokee (now Pickens)
County, and purchased land in the vicinity of the present Marble Hill,
where he developed three marble quarries and built a small marble mill
for monumental purposes. The product of this mill was transported by
six -or eight-mule teams to Middle and East Georgia and South Carolina.
A monument which he made in 1845 now stands in Dahlonega, Ga., as a
memorial to seven men massacred by order of the Mexican commander at
Goliad, Tex.; and bears his name and the address "Long Swamp Marble,
Cherokee Post Office, Cherokee County, Ga." He also furnished the 138
marble mileposts for the state-owned Western & Atlantic Railroad
from Atlanta to Chattanooga, which are still in use. Mr. Fitzsimmons
died on December 24,1845, and was buried in the family lot at Marble
William T. Fitzsimmons, the oldest of four sons of Henry and Almyra
Fitzsimmons, was an early stone-cutter in Pickens County and served in
the War with Mexico. Elizabeth and Ovaline Fitzsimmons, two of his
sisters, married, respectively, John Stegali and Bethel Q. Disharoon,
both eariy figures in the marble industry of the county.
Sylvanus Hamrick, a prominent business man and planter of the
last generation, was born in North Carolina and with his parents moved
to Pickens County while a young man. He lived here until his death on
March 13, 1913.
Mr. Hamrick was esteemed for his high moral character and was a
faithful member of the Methodist Church for over fifty years. He was a
staunch democrat and a Mason. He took prominent part in the public
affairs of his section, holding for forty years the office of justice
of the peace and being one of the committee who located the county site
of Pickens County. He also helped to establish the first high school in
the county, at Ludville.
When the Civil War broke out, Mr. Hamrick enlisted in Company L, 36th
Regiment, Georgia Infantry. He was captured at the Battle of Vicksburg,
July 4, 1863, and was paroled July 9, 1863. He fought in the war until
Mr. Hamrick was married September 1, 1853, to Miss Harriett Killian,
daughter of Lawson Alexander Killian and Martha Bedford Killian, of
Dahlonega, Ga. Eleven children were born to this union: John A., James
L., Robert T., George W. (all of whom were prominent in church and
political affairs in the county and state), Martha E., Rachel A., Lola
Belle, William A., Jesse M., Henry M., and Horner A. The last four
survive. Mrs. Hamrick died October 8, 1881, and Mr. Hamrick married
Miss Mary Jane Smith, of Gordon County, on November 6, 1883. Two
daughters survive this second union, and one son, William A. Hamrick,
was married December 6,1893, to Miss Fannie Day, daughter of Col.
William T. Day and Theresa Craig Day, of Jasper, Ga., and with his
family reside in Pickens County where he has large farming and
mercantile interests. Sons of Robert T. Hamrick are engaged in the
mercantile business at Ludville.
John W. Henley, prominent among both the lawyers and educators
of Pickens County, was born in Murray County, Georgia, on March 28,
1852. Though left fatherless when a very young boy, he availed himself
of every opportunity to obtain an education. In 1874 he attended Fort
Mountain Institute for a short period and then taught school in Gordon
and Murray Counties. In 1874 he entered North Georgia Agricultural
College at Dahlonega, from which he graduated in 1879. He then
established an institute in Jasper and taught there for several years.
This institute later became a public school.
Mr. Henley studied law under the direction of the Hon. George R. Brown,
of Canton, and became assistant solicitor-general of the Blue Ridge
Circuit and later an assistant U. S. district attorney. In this
capacity his qualifications were such that he was retained through the
changes of ad-ministration to the time of his death.
Mr. Henley served for a time as Pickens County school commissioner. He
was accurate, painstaking and untiring in all his work and in all
respects was an exemplary and useful citizen and greatly respected.
The Hobson family is of Irish-English extraction and came to
Georgia from South Carolina, where they had moved from their original
home in Virginia. John Hobson, who was born in 1813, came to Pickens
County before the Civil War and made his home in the Holt Settlement.
He became a captain of militia, and at the outbreak of the Civil War he
and his company joined the Confederate ranks. Captain Hobson served
throughout the war, fighting with General Johnston against Sherman
during the latter's march through Georgia. At the close of the war he
moved to Bartow County where he died about 1890.
Henry Hobson, a son, born in 1843, married Mary Jane Thompson, daughter
of Lewis Thompson. The Thompsons were another pioneer family of the
same community. Henry Hobson also served in the Confederate Army
throughout the war. He was with General Forrest's cavalry a part of the
time and saw almost continuous service around Chattanooga and through
Georgia, being with Forrest at Cartersville and Rome. He died in 1866
of disease resulting from his war service.
A son of Henry and Mary Jane Hobson, John Henry Hobson, is now living.
Mortimer S. Long was born at Morganton, Fannin County,
Georgia, on June 2, 1867, a son of John Michael Long and Martha Emily
(Crawford) Long, who were both bom in Fannin County. All the
grandparents, George I. Long and Polly (Falls) Long and Samuel Horton
Crawford and Celia (Jones) Crawford, came to Fannin County from western
Mrs. John M. Long died in 1924 and her husband in 1927. Of their eight
children, six are living: M. S. Long, of Jasper, Georgia; Molly
McCleer, of Atlanta; Horace, of Tate; Nellie Simpson, of Middletown,
Ohio; 0. W. Long, of Russellville, Alabama; and Frank H. Long, of
Atlanta, Ga. Two are deceased: Mrs. Bertie Copps, of Charlottesville,
Virginia, and Mrs. Edith Pool, of Jasper, Georgia.
M. S. Long was married April 23, 1893, to Lillie Day Wofford, daughter
of Benjamin J. and Malissa Furgerson WofFord, of Pickens County,
Georgia. Six children were born to these parents: John, Clarence S.,
Charles Reid, Lillie Vera, Emily Faye, and Helen May, who died in
Mr. Long received his education in the common schools of Fannin County
and at North Georgia Agricultural College, Dahlonega. He was employed
in the mechanical department of The Georgia Marble Company for
twenty-five years, during fourteen of which he was master mechanic. He
was elected ordinary of Pickens County in 1916, appointed by Governor
Hugh M. Dorsey as commissioner of roads and revenues of Pickens County
in 1920, and reelected in 1924, 1928, and 1932. Mr. Long's incumbency
has marked Pickens as one of the most progressive counties in this
section in the development of roads and highways.
A man of kindly and genial nature, loyal to his friends, and possessed
of an ambition to serve his community, Mr. Long has been one of the
county's most respected and able officials; and the positions which
have been bestowed upon him are a fair measure of how well he has
succeeded in his civic ideals.
Horace Long, also a son of John and Martha Long, was born in 1874 and
received his education in the public schools of Tale and at Reinhardt
College, Waleska, Ga. He has spent the greater part of his business
career with The Georgia Marble Co. He is now in charge of the finishing
work in the monumental department of that company's plant at Tate.
R. L. McClain, Jasper banker, is the son of Newton Clark
McClain and Mary Arthur McClain, who were among the pioneer settlers of
Pickens County. His grandparents moved from South Carolina in 1824 and
later came to what is now Pickens County.
Mr. McClain was born December 6, 1872, in Pickens County, and was
educated in the public schools of Jasper. He began his business career
as clerk in a general store at Tate, was later bookkeeper for the Blue
Ridge Marble Company at Nelson, shipping clerk for The Georgia Marble
Company at Tate, and then traveling salesman for the same company. He
was elected treasurer of The Georgia Marble Company in 1910, but
resigned in 1920 to enter the banking business.
Mr. McClain is president of the Bank of Jasper, the only bank in
Pickens County. He has always taken an interest in matters of public
moment in his town, county, and state; and was a member of the Georgia
legislature in 1929.
Hon. Roscoe Pickett, one of the leading lawyers of Pickens County, was
born July 10, 1883, and was educated in the public schools of Pickens
and the University of Georgia, from which he received the B. L. Degree
in 1909. He is the son of Rev. Thaddeus Pickett, who was prominent in
the religious and political affairs of his day, and Sarah E. Worley
Mr. Pickett is an active member of the Baptist Church and, politically,
is prominent in the affairs of the Republican party, having been a
delegate to the Republican national convention in 1908. He has also
served as chairman of the Republican state central committee, and is
now a member-at-large of that body. He was a member of the lower house
of the Georgia assembly in 1911-12, and represented his senatorial
district in the legislature during 1915-16.
James Simmons was born in Spartanburg County, S. C, in 1803.
When he was less than a year old his family moved to North Carolina,
where they lived until 1831. He married Miss Elizabeth Ramseur and
after living in Hall County, Ga., about a year he moved to what was
then Gilmer but is now in Pickens County, on the Old Federal Road about
two miles north of where Jasper is now located. For several years his
nearest white neighbor to the south was Sam Tate on Long Swamp, who had
purchased in 1834 the Fawns tract of land from Dr. Green. He lived for
several years among the Indians and was their esteemed and trusted
In 1861 Mr. Simmons was elected delegate to the Se-cession Convention.
He was elected as a Union man and did not vote for secession, giving as
his reason: "I thought secession would involve us in war and was too
hasty; that die proper remedy would be to petition Congress for our
constitutional rights and then if we did not get them it would be time
to secede." Mr. Simmons was also elected to the state senate in 1861
and again in 1863.
The children of James and Elizabeth Ramseur Simmons were: Adolphus and
Rufus, both of whom lost their lives in the Civil War; Philip,
Augustus, Richard, Frank, and Julia.
Col. William Hill Simmons was born in Monroe County, Ga., on
April 1, 1824, the son of William H. and Elizabeth Simmons. His
great-grandfather, John Simmons, and grand-father, James Simmons, had
come from Virginia to North Carolina in an early day, and thence to
Georgia in 1784, settling in Hancock County near Sparta. There they
worshiped at Post Oak Methodist Church, of which no trace now remains.
The elder William H. Simmons was born in a fort erected by the settlers
of Hancock County for protection against the Indians. He was
married to Elizabeth Maddux, daughter of Joseph Maddux, in 1815, the
subject of this sketch being the fourth of their nine children. The
family moved to what is now Pike County, and the children grew up on
the old homestead near the present town of Williamson.
At the age of nineteen, William Hill Simmons left home for the Lumpkin
County gold mines, but he stayed there only a short time and then went
to Forsyth County where he organized and taught a tuition-school. On
December 26, 1844, he met and married Adliza Elizabeth Allen, daughter
of Beverly W. Allen. He began the reading of law with Hiram Parks Bell,
at Cumming, and was admitted to the bar in Dahlonega, before Judge
Joseph E. Brown, in 1855. The following year he began the practice of
law in Jasper, where he continued to live until his death.
From 1862 to 1877 Colonel Simmons held the office of ordinary of
Pickens County, and in 1878 he was elected state senator from Pickens.
While in the senate he introduced a bill, which passed, reducing the
enormous fees then charged by tax receivers and collectors, saving the
taxpayers of the state many thousands of dollars. Later he further
served his county as school commissioner.
Colonel Simmons was widely known and respected for his legal ability,
and he was also loved by all who knew him for his kindness and helpful
spirit. Always deeply interested in the spiritual welfare of those
about him, by precept and example he served to guide both old and
young. He was a steward in the Jasper Methodist Church for more than
thirty years, superintendent of the Sunday school for thirty-two years,
and Worshipful Master of Pickens Star Lodge, F. & A. M., for
thirty-five years. His death, on January 31, 1891, was mourned by a
great number of friends in his county and state.
John Stegall, an early planter and landowner of Pickens
County, was born June 13, 1820, and in 1843 came with his father,
Blackwell Stegall, to Lumpkin County, Ga., from South Carolina. His
grandfather, Richard Stegall, born in Virginia on July 4, 1754, of a
family which was later represented by several Revolutionary soldiers,
had immi-grated in 1793 to Pickens County, S. C, where he had become a
John Stegall married Elizabeth Fitzsimmons, daughter of Henry
Fitzsimmons of Long Swamp, Cherokee (now Pickens) County, Ga., in 1846.
He mined gold in Lumpkin County until 1851, when he and his brother,
Hensley Stegall, went to California and mined gold until 1854.
Returning to Pickens County, he with his brother-in-law. Bethel Q.
Disharoon, purchased the major part of the Henry Fitz-simmons estate
and marble properties. John and Elizabeth Stegall had eleven children.
Mr. Stegall died November 1,1878.
Samuel Tate, the first of his family to settle in what is now
Pickens County, was born in Morganton, N. C, on May 25, 1797. He was
the son of John Tate, who served in the Revolutionary War, and Anne
Oliphant Tate. The family had come from Pennsylvania to Virginia, from
there to Burke County, North Carolina, and later to Franklin County,
Georgia. In about 1834 John Tate moved to what is now Gilmer County,
and he is buried in the cemetery at Ellijay.
In 1834 Samuel Tate purchased lands in the Long Swamp Valley, then in
Cherokee but now in Pickens County; and members of the family have
resided at the homestead here since that time. Samuel Tate was a
farmer, a government land agent, and an early developer of the marble
business in this section. He was Pickens County's state senator in
1857-8. At the outbreak of the Civil War he went out as captain of a
company of volunteers from Pickens. On ac-count of illness he was
honorably discharged at Yorktown, and he returned to his home in
Pickens where he died September 20, 1866. Samuel Tate married Mary
Griffeth, of Habersham County. They had seven children: Caleb R., Julia
Anne (Mrs. Martin Davis), William, Stephen C, Jane Sophronia (Mrs. John
Davis), Martha Hester (Mrs. John Maddox), and Farish Carter Tate.
Caleb R. Tate, son of Samuel and Mary Tate, was born December 9, 1824.
He married Winnie Pendley on October 1,1890.
William Tate, son of Samuel and Mary Tate, was born July 15, 1827, in
Lumpkin County. During the Civil War he enlisted from Cass (now Bartow)
County in Captain Cook's company of the First Georgia State Troops, was
made a major in 1864, and engaged in the seige of Atlanta and the
Battle of Jonesboro. He was the first clerk of the Pickens County
superior court, serving from 1854 to 1862. He married Mary Bird, of
Gordon County, and was survived by three daughters and three sons: Mrs.
E. M. Cole, Mrs. R. N. Holland, Mrs. Preston Rambo, Farish Carter Tate,
Dr. William B. Tate, and P. M. Tate, who was a banker, merchant,
manufacturer, and farmer of the county.
Farish Carter Tate, son of Samuel and Mary Tate, was born October 26,
1834. He served in the Confederate Army as a lieutenant in the Lewis
Volunteers, 18th Georgia Regi-ment, and died of measles in a military
hospital at Richmond, Va.
Col. Stephen C. Tate, son of Samuel and Mary Tate, was born in Lumpkin
County, Georgia, June 9, 1832, shortly before his parents moved to
Pickens. At the age of twenty he went to California to mine gold, but
he returned in 1855 and established a successful mercantile and milling
business at Cartersville, in Cass (now Bartow) County. During the Civil
War he enlisted from Cass County in the military service of the state
and was assigned to duty on the state road, where he served throughout
the war. Returning then to the home-stead in Pickens, he engaged in
farming and also turned his attention toward the development of the
marble industry here, being instrumental in bringing the railroad to
Pickens in 1882 and in the organization of The Georgia Marble Company
in 1884. At the time of his death, which occurred in April, 1901, he
was vice-president of The Georgia Marble Company at Tate, the Blue
Ridge Marble Company at Nelson, and the Kennesaw Marble Company at
Marietta; and had served as postmaster at Tate for nearly forty years.
Colonel Tate was married, in 1857, to Eliza D. Buffington, of Griffin,
Ga., and they were survived by six daughters and three sons. The
daughters were: Mrs. Levi Darnell, of Jasper; Mrs. M. S. Williams, of
Atlanta; Mrs. A. S. Hinton, of Summerville; Mrs. Alex Anderson, of
Nelson; Mrs. I. P. Morton, of St. Louis, Mo.; and Miss Florence Tate,
of Tate; of whom the last three are still living.
Farish Carter Tate, son of William and Mary Bird Tate, was born
November 20, 1856. He had a notable legal career and was in public life
for over thirty years, serving terms as legislator, congressman, and U.
S. District attorney. His wife was the former Julia Bell, of Forsyth
County. He died February 7, 1922.
Howard Tate, son of Farish Carter Tate and Julia Bell Tate, was born
October 6, 1884. For several years he served as assistant U. S.
attorney, and during the World War he was a captain in the U. S. Army
and also connected with the military court. He died on December 2, 1928.
Col. Sam Tate, son of Stephen C. and Eliza Buffington Tate, was born
June 13, 1860, and received his education in the common schools and at
North Georgia Agricultural College, Dahlonega. He first
engaged in the mercantile business with J. M. McAfee at Canton; then
from 1883 to 1905 he conducted a similar business at Tate. In 1905 he
became connected with, and since 1907 has been president of. The
Georgia Marble Company. Colonel Tate is a director in the First
National Bank of Atlanta and vice-president of the Bank of Canton. From
May, 1929, to March 1, 1930, he served as chairman of the highway board
of the state. He is an active Methodist and a trustee of Wesleyan
College, Emory University, and Young Harris College, and has made
liberal contributions toward the causes of the church, education, and
public welfare generally. Colonel Tate holds the honorary degree of
Doctor of Laws, conferred by the University of Georgia in 1931.
Stephen L. Tate, son of Stephen C. and Eliza Tate, was bom February 6,
1866. He was educated in the local schools and at Gordon Institute,
Barnesville. Until the time of his death, August 10, 1897, he was
associated with The Georgia Marble Company, and also engaged in the
mercantile and banking business.
Walter E. Tate, son of Stephen C. and Eliza Tate, was bom December 1,
1877. After receiving his education in the common schools and at Webb
School, Bell Buckle, Tenn., he became associated with The Georgia
Marble Company, of which he is now general manager and a
vice-president. He married Miss Bessie Atwood, of Franklin, Tenn., and
they have three children.
Luke E. Tate, son of Stephen C. and Eliza Tate, was bom March 27, 1879;
attended the common schools and Emory University at Oxford, Webb School
at Bell Buckle, Tenn., Virginia Military Institute, Columbian
University at Wash-ington, D. C, and the University of Georgia (A. B.
and B. L. degrees); volunteered for service in the Spanish-American
War; served as Pickens County food administrator during the World War
and also in Red Cross work; has engaged in (he practice of law, the
banking and mercantile businesses, and the marble, cotton-mill, and oil
industries; and since 1930 has represented Pickens County in the
William Gray Whitfield and his wife, Annie Murray Whit-field,
came from North Carolina-to Banks County, Georgia, and from there they
moved to Pickens County about 1845. Mr. Whitfield was a farmer and also
an early worker in the marble industry of the county.
The children of William G. and Annie Murray Whitfield were: John C,
Caleb, Tom, Steve, Aramissa (Mrs. Tom Hopkins), Martha (Mrs. Pink
Morris), Mary (Mrs. Fayette Stancil), Narcissa, Syceria (Mrs. Jim
Dowda), and Julianne (Mrs. Mort Little).
Source: History of Pickens County. Atlanta, Ga.: Tate, Luke
E.. Press of W.W. Brown Pub. Co., c1935.