Welcome to Georgia Genealogy Trails!

Rabun County Georgia Genealogy Trails

"Where your Journey Begins"

Home    News Index



Madison Madisonian: Two negro children were recently burned to death in this county near the Putnam county line by being left alone to keep house during their parent's absence. There should be some law to force parents to leave some grown person to take charge of infants during their absence.
Date: 1881-03-08;  Paper: Macon Telegraph

ATWOOD, Mr and Mrs E.

SAD ACCIDENT. - A Newly-Married Couple Drowned.
Tallalh, Ga.  Dec. 15.—E. Atwood and wife, who were married last Sunday at Anderson, S. C, were drowned while attempting to cross the Chattanooga River in a wagon on the way to their new home in Rabun county, Ga. The stream was considerably swollen. When in the middle the wagon wheels struck some obstacle and the young husband was thrown into the water. With a shriek his wife jumped in after him, and locked in each others arms, they sank to the bottom.  Date: December 16, 1885 Paper: Jersey Journal


Walhalla, Dec. 6.—The remains of Miss May Bell were brought to Walhalla yesterday from Columbia where she died Monday noon. The funeral service was held yesterday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock from the residence of her brother, Dr. J. W. Bell. Her pastor, the Rev. A. W. Barr of the Methodist church, conducted the services.
Early this morning her remains, accompanied by relatives and friends, were taken to Clayton, Ga., for interment beside the bodies of her parents.
     Miss Bell’s health failed some time ago and she went to Columbia in the hop of recuperating. For a time she improved but a few days ago her condition grew worse and her friends were shocked to hear of her death.
     Miss Bell was born at Clayton but had resided in Walhalla for many years. She was a woman of most estimable Christian character and esteemed as an ideal Christian.
      She leaves one sister, Mrs. D. G. McAlister of Columbia, and one brother, Dr. J. W. Bell of Walhalla, and a host of relatives and friends in Walhalla.
[The State, Columbia, S. C., Published Thursday, December 07, 1922, submitted by C. Danielson]


Death of One of the Oldest and Most Prominent Men of Anderson
Special to the State. - Anderson, Oct. 5.—Mr. Sylvester Bleckley, perhaps the best known and most prominent man in business circles of this city, died this afternoon at 2:30 o’clock at his residence on North Main street.
     His career has been a most successful one. Born in Rabun county near Clayton, Ga., in July, 1832, he went from that place at sixteen years of age to Athens, Ga., as a clerk in the firm of Pitner & England. A year after that firm moved its business to Anderson, S. C., and took Mr. Bleckley in as a partner, the firm being known as England, Bleckley & Co.
After the war he was connected with many different firms but all of them prominent in the business circles of the city. He organized the firm known as Bleckley, Brown & Co., several years ago, taking in partnership with him three of his clerks, E. W. Brown, J. J. Fretwell and J. T. Kennedy. At the time of his death he was in the firm of Bleckley & Fretwell, which firm probably does most extensive business in stock fertilizers, etc., in upper Carolina.
     He married Miss Elizabeth Hammond in 1856, the daughter of the late Frank Hammond of this county, who was a large slave owner. He joined the Anderson Baptist church in 1858, being baptized by Rev. J. S. Murray who also had officiated at his marriage two years before.
     For many years Mr. Bleckley held the position of church clerk. His wife and five daughters survive him—Mrs. John E. Peoples, Mrs. J. J. Fretwell, Mrs. A. G. Means, Mrs. Wm. Laughlin and Miss Zoe Bleckley.
     Sylvester Bleckley was a brother of judge Bleckley of Georgia. He was a marked man in this community and will be greatly missed. - [The State, Columbia, S. C., Published Tuesday, October 06, 1896, submitted by C. Danielson]


Jerry BURTON of BURTON, probably the oldest man in the county, died at his home this morning. He was about 90 years old and a highly respected citizen. As time rolls by, the old landmarks go out. - Newspaper: Clayton Tribune - January 9, 1902 - Submitted By: Gerre Engard Byrd


Perry Home Journal: On last Monday Coram Schilling was called upon to go out to the plantation of Mr. H. M. Holtzclaw to hold an inquest over the dead body of a negro boy, who was killed on Thursday. The body had been interred on Friday, and a disinterment was of course necessary. A jury was empaneled, and after examining several witnesses the following facts were elicited:
      During a quarrel on Thursday last Jake Davis, colored, about thirteen years of age, struck Simon Cooper, colored, about eight or nine years old, on the head with a rock, from which blow he died that evening. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the above facts, charging Jake Davis with involuntary man-slaughter. A warrant was issued for the arrest of Jake Davis, and he is now in jail awaiting a preliminary trial for the offense.  Date: 1881-03-08;  Paper: Macon Telegraph


Albany News and Advertiser : We are pained to have to chronicle the death of Mr. Everett Drinkwater, which event took place, after a short illness, at his residence, one mile south of the city, on Friday night, he was one of the oldest citizens of Albany, a brickmason by trade, and an industrious, good citizen. His wife died several years ago, but he leaves three children, a brother, and a large circle of friends to mourn his loss. Date: 1881-03-08;  Paper: Macon Telegraph


Sisters Killed by Their Cousin, Seymour Keenen, of Rabun County, Ga., Exacts Fearful Cost for a Rejected Love Suit
Atlanta, Ga., June 24, 1895.—Lille and Laura Moore, sisters, daughters of a well-to-do farmer of Rabun county, Georgia, were killed yesterday by their cousin, Seymour Keener.
Four years ago Keener fell in love with his pretty cousin, Lille Moore, the older of the two sisters. She was then fifteen, and Laura  was two years younger. Lillie's heart did not respond" to her cousin's affection. Her parents were opposed to anything like love between the two, and the girl rejected Keener's advances.
For two years he endeavored to pay her attentions, but finally she made him stop. Ever since he has been threatening to take her life. Neither she nor her father paid any  attention to reports which they heard from Keener.
Yesterday afternoon the two sisters, nineteen and seventeen, started from their home in Tennessee Valley to visit a neighbor, who lived a few miles away. They drove past Keener's home going, and Seymour saw them. He loaded two pistols, took $200 which he had In the house, bade his little sisters goodbye and started off. Half way between his own home and that of the neighbor whom his cousins were visiting Keener hid in some bushes by the mountain road.
In the course of an hour the young ladies approached, returning to their home. Keener rushed out upon them with both revolvers drawn. Laura, perceiving her sister's danger, rushed between her and Keener. She pleaded for her sister's life, and throwing her arms about Lilllie's body, declared
that she would die before Lilllie should be harmed. I
Keener tried to tear Laura away, but, falling in this, placed the muzzle of a pistol to the brave girl's head and shot her dead. Then he turned his weapons on Lillie and fired seven bullets Into her body.
The firing attracted the attention of persons living near. They soon found the bodies and pursuit was made. Keener was soon overtaken. His cartridges were exhausted, but he fought with a knife, and cut James Dickerson seriously.
Keener states that he shot Laura by accident. He Is now in jail at Clayton, In the heart of the mountains of Rabun county. The jail is well guarded.  Date: 1895-06-25; Paper: New York Herald


Columbus Enquirer : Yesterday, Mr. T. J. Jackson, of this office, received information of the death of his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Jackson, which occurred at Milledgeville on the 3d inst. Her mind was much impaired by domestic troubles years ago, and for the past seven years she has been an inmate of the asylum, where she died. She was about seventy-five years of age, and leaves a family of six children.  Date: 1881-03-08;  Paper: Macon Telegraph


Athens Chronicle: Minnie Jackson, the unfortunate girl who, last Saturday afternoon, was so badly crushed at Crawford on attempting to get on the train while the cars were in motion, died on Tuesday night. The funeral exercises were conducted by the Rev. Mr. Farriss.  Date: 1881-03-08;  Paper: Macon Telegraph


Killed Because He Wore "Store Clothes."
Atlanta, Ga.  March 30.—The penalty of wearing store clothes in Rabun county, Ga., is death. Some time ago the murder of William Thomas in that county was reported. Yesterday one of the murderers, Joseph Hopkins, was brought to the city and he tells a curious story us to why the murder was committed. Thomas came cavorting up to the church, said he, 'a-wearin' store clothes. Us boys didn't like to see him taking the shine off us. So we concluded to have a little fun. We asked him to take a drink, but he was too uppity to do it. My brother then threw a stone at him to see. how he would run, and he run, sure-enough. Then we ran after him, throwing" stones after him, thinking it was fun, when suddenly he dropped down dead. If we hadn't been drinking we would not have done what we did; My brother is to be hung on the 11th day of May and I am now going to the coal mines for life. I reckon I will get used to it. I will have to try anyhow. But I never did like, a man what wore store clothes." He has gone to a place where he will not be troubled by the sight of store clothes.
Date: 1888-03-31; Paper: Plain Dealer


George S. Whitmire Officer Killed
Revenue Collector Shot Near North Carolina-Georgia Line
Clayton, Ga., Dec. 6,--George S. Whitmire, postmaster at Rabun Gap, Ga., and recently appointed deputy United States revenue collector, today was shot and instantly killed eight miles north of here on a highway just across the North Carolina-Georgia boundary line. His assailant has not been captured.
Whitmire started in pursuit of three men who earlier in the day had visited here in a horse and buggy and who were suspected by Whitmire of selling whiskey. When Whitmire overtook the buggy it was only occupied by one man. Whitmire demanded the privilege of searching the conveyance and in the struggle which ensued Whitmire was shot and killed.
The assailant left the murder scene and started towards Franklin, N. C. He is said to have been known by the name of Osborne.  [Charlotte Daily Observer, Charlotte, N. C., Published Saturday, December 07, 1912, submitted by C. Danielson]


In a quiet country cemtery down on Chechero lies the remains of Edward Williams, a soldier and drum-major of the American Revolution and War of 1812, with no other mark to designate his resting place than the letters "E.W." out on a rough stone. On his arm was tattooed his name, Coat-of-Arms and the British Crown.
     The old soldier was drafted in England to fight the Colonist, but when he landed in America he took up arms with the Liberty Boys and fough for American liberty to the finish. He was with Gen. Washington in the battles of the Brandywine and Prinston and was a survivor of Camp Valley Forge.
     When peace had been made between England and America and all had gone back to quiet living, every fourth of July this old soldier would take his drum to the top of the highest mountains and "beat" the anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
His desertion of the British army was not on account of crime, but for the love of liberty that fired American's heart and which burned in his also.
     In 1812, when England began to press the American sailors into her service this old soldier again marched with the Americans against England. He was 107 years old when he died.
His dying request was that he be buried under the Honors of War. A company of local Militia carried the remains to the cemetery, then formed a circle around the grave and after each one had fired a blank load into it, they placed the old soldier in his last resting-place while the grave was full of smoke.
    That he was a drummer of much ability, can be proved by almost all the old citizens of Rabun who have heard him "beat" at the old Muster-Grounds, and it may be stated here that one of his posterity, J.H. Williams, of Alto, Georgia, was drum-major under Gen. Lee in the Civil War.
The Clayton Tribune, Clayton, Georgia. March 26, 1903
From: northga1@yahoo.com Obituary for Edward  "Ned" Aka James Cox Williams, who died in Rabun County, GA. in 1845.  He was a 5th great grandfather of my husband.


Home   News Index

Visit GA Genealogy Trails

Visit our National

Genealogy Trails

Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.