Screven County, Georgia Biographies
Bios are in alphabetical order. Press Ctrl F to search the page.
Ashe, John, soldier, orator, statesman, was born in 1720. He was a general in the continental army; and was general in command in 1779 at Brier Creek, Ga. While speaker in the North Carolina assembly in 1766, he led an armed force to Brunswick; and constrained the royal governor and vessels of war to abandon an attempt to enforce the stamp act..He died Oct. 24, 1781, in Sampson county, N.C. [Herringshaw’s National Library of American Biography: Contains Thirty-five Thousand Biographies of the Acknowledged Leaders of Life and Thought of the United States, by William Herringshaw, 1909 – Transcribed by Therman Kellar]
BLACK, REV. JOHN J.
REV. JOHN J. BLACK, merchant, Jesup, Ga., was born in Scriven County,
Ga., April 23, 1823, and is the son of John and Mary (Davis) Black, both of
Georgia. John Black, Sr., a farmer, blacksmith and magistrate, was
well to do, cared nothing for politics and was one of the best workmen in
the country. He died in 1825—his parents being natives of Erin.
Mary (Davis) Black died about 1870, aged 63, a member of the Mission Baptist
Church. John Black was twice married. He had five children by
the first wife and three by the second. The children of the first
marriage were—William, Douglas, Kneelan, Jane and Abian. Our subject
is the only one living of the second marriage. He attended
school in Scriven County and began to work for himself when at the age of
eighteen. As the mother was a widow and the brother was afflicted the
responsibility of making the living depended on John J. His first
business was farming on the home place; he then picked up the carpenter
trade which he followed for many years, then farmed, then was section boss
on the R. R. for twelve years; on leaving that he was boss of a carpenter
gang on the E. Tenn. & Atlantic Gulf R. R. This he pursued for three
years and then took contracts for building in Jesup in connection with
farming. He has been engaged in merchandising the past four years and
has been quite successful and abundantly blessed.
He was married in March, 1842, to Miss Stewart, daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Taylor) Stewart. To Mr. And Mrs. Black have been born five children, namely: Rev. James E., of the Baptist Church in Appling and Wayne counties; Mary, widow of J. L. Truett, living with parents; Sallie, wife of W. N. Clark (see elsewhere) one of the substantial men of Jesup; Christabell A., wife of J. H. Bennett, who has been the treasurer of Wayne County for several terms; John F., clerking for father in store at Jesup, also keeper of records and seals in the K. of P. lodge. He has served as prelate for eight or nine years in the lodge. Rev. Black and his entire family are members of the Mission Baptist Church. He and wife are among the early settlers of the town, and justly deserve honorable mention among its most worthy and respected citizens. They began life poor, but by honesty, industry and grit they have secured a good living. [Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]
BRINSON, CAPT. DAVID W.
CAPT. DAVID W. BRINSON was born in 1840 in Scriven County, Ga. His
parents are Adam C. and Cynthia (Burk) Brinson, both natives of Georgia.
The father was a farmer and most highly respected by a large circle of
acquaintances. He died in 1853. The mother died three months
before her husband. These parents had thirteen children, six of whom
are yet living, namely: Jane, wife of G. W. Foy, living in Effingham County,
Ga.; Martha A., wife of William Overstreet, living in Appling County;
Elizabeth, wife of C. F. Foy (deceased); Sarah, wife of E. W. Foy, living in
Effingham County; Abram J., consort of Miss Julia Herd, living in Scriven
Our subject enlisted, August 8, 1861, in the Twenty-fifth Georgia infantry. He served until the surrender. He took part in the battles of Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, Atlanta campaign, Franklin, Bentonville, and many others. He was in Wilson’s brigade about Atlanta, Walker’s division, until Wilson was killed above Atlanta.
Mr. Brinson was wounded at the battle of Franklin in the arm, and was disabled for about a month, but remained with the command all the time. He did his worst fighting at Chickamauga and Franklin. After the war he began steam saw-milling and inspecting lumber, and has been at that ever since, with the exception of two years, when he farmed. He has been in his present position (lumber inspector) for thirteen years, and has been very successful in business, always commanding good wages. Mr. Brinson is a good workman and a worthy and respected citizen. He is known as a person of irreproachable character and worthy of respect and confidence. He stands well wherever he is known.
He was married February 17, 1874, to Miss Mary L., daughter of C. S. and – Youmans, of Pierce County, Ga. The home of our subject has been mad cheerful and happy in the birth of one child, Tulula Estell. Both parents are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Brinson is a member of the Masonic order, and is dictator in the order of K. of H. Mr. Brinson had four brothers in the Confederate service—Isaac, Simon, Mills and Adam. Isaac was killed instantly in some battle in Virginia. He was in the Fifth Georgia cavalry. Simon was a cavalryman and died in 1884. Mills was shot through and through in the battle of Franklin, and lived nine days. He was in the same company as our subject. Adam died of pneumonia (it is presumed) near Chickamauga. He was carried away before the battle began. None of the family have ever heard from him since.
Our subject enlisted as a private, was promoted to corporal, then to orderly, later to second lieutenant, and subsequently to first lieutenant. At the close of the war he was captain of the company. [Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]
James Clark, African American, born March 3, 1895 died Oct. 31, 1968, buried at Wesley Chapel Cemetery now Super Natural Church on Harmony Rd. Sylvania, GA. His wife was Essie maiden name was Cooper or Brown.
|Father||Edward Clark||Born: Jan 1857|
|Mother||Elizabeth MNU||Married: 1884|
|Daughter||Anna||Born: Oct 1884|
|Daughter||Virginia||Born: Dec 1887|
|Son||John||Born: Feb 1890|
|Son||James L.||Born 3 Mar 1895|
contributed by Margie Barton
COLCORD, JACOB T.
Screven County, Georgia
JACOB T. COLCORD was born October 27, 1839, in Rockingham County, N. H. His parents are Frederick R. and Elizabeth M. (Jenness) Colcord, natives of New Hampshire. The father was a blacksmith of Scotch extraction, and died at the early age of twenty-six. The mother is still living at the age of seventy years. The subject is the elder of the two children born to these parents, viz.: Jacob T. and Ezra. Jacob t. was educated in the common schools of New Hampshire, but was obliged to leave school at the early age of twelve and begin for himself as an errand boy in a grocery store, at which he served two years. He then served on a farm until he was seventeen years of age, when he was apprenticed to a carpenter for three years. At the age of twenty he came to Screven County, Ga., and is now the manager of Amoskeag Lumber Co., manufacturers of pitch pine lumber, rosin-barrel staves, headings, laths, shingles, and all kinds of dressed lumber.
The mill is located about two miles south of Eastman, and has 250 persons on the pay-roll, and averages daily about 50,000 feet of lumber, though many days they reach as much as 65,000 or 70,000 feet. They have timber enough secured to keep them twenty years at this rate.
Years ago a party in Dodge County wanted a Yankee house, and our subject, then a young man, was selected to build it. After it was completed he decided to remain there. During the war he was engaged in the C. S. A. government as contractor, and so was not in the bullet and powder department of the army. He joined an independent company which was soon disbanded.
He was taken prisoner by Sherman, and after sixty days of confinement took the oath of allegiance near Millen, Screven County, Ga. He then endeavored to regain a lost fortune and worked in the oil regions of Pennsylvania as contractor, wit good success. From there he went to Princeton, Ind., where he built the bridge across the Warsaw river, thence to Georgia in 1865, where he has since been. The present mill is the eleventh which he has owned or partly owned; he has made a circuit of about 300 miles, and has been very successful in business.
He was married July 14, 1868, to Miss Mary E. Worthington, daughter of Benjamin F. and Sophia (Adkins) Worthington, of Screven County, but natives of Massachusetts. Their other children are: Julia, deceased, formerly wife of A. A. Foster, of Greenville, S. C.; Nellie, wife of J. M. Fisk, living in Massachusetts; Lulu C., widow of L. Stewart, living in Eastman; Hennie, wife of F. J. Dudley, who is turpentining in Dodge County. The father died in 1869, aged fifty-five.
The subject’s children are: Aaron R., Lulu and Pearl.
Mr. Colcord is a Knight Templar, and is at present worshipful master in Eastman lodge, No. 279. Few persons excel the subject of this sketch when it comes to grit, energy and perseverance. [Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]
DELL, JOHN C.
Screven County, Georgia JOHN C. DELL. This gentleman is a
representative of one of the oldest families of Screven County, Georgia.
He is a native of that county, as was also his father and grandfather, his
great-grandfather being a pioneer settler of that county. The
continental extraction of the Dells is English, and the ancestor who brought
the name to this country was a clergyman who settled in Virginia about the
year 1750. From him through the Carolinas and Georgia have flowed the
various branches of the family. The Dells have not figured
conspicuously in the State or national affairs, but they have always been
people of respectability, fair means and average attainments. If any
particular traits of character more than others were to be set down to their
credit those most deserving of mention would probably be, their devotion to
education and their strong religious sentiments. James B. Dell, father
of the subject of this sketch, Joseph Dell, grandfather, and Phillip Dell,
great-grandfather, were all planters, progressive men, successful in life
and well esteemed in their several localities. The mother of John C.
Dell was a daughter of William Strohecker, a descendant of one of the
Saulzberg settlers of Effingham County, Georgia, people noted throughout the
State for their thrift, economy, great sociability and ardent religious
temperament. John C. Dell was born May 31, 1841. His education
was obtained in the common schools of Screven County, at Bascom Academy, and
at Emory College, Oxford, Ga., graduating from the latter institution in
1859. He entered the Confederate service a the breaking out of the
war, being then nineteen years of age, and was in that service in one
locality and another under different commands till discharged on account of
failure of health. After the surrender he studied law, was admitted to
the bar and settled to the practice in Sylvania. For some years he was
associated with Col. George R. Black, an eminent lawyer of Screven County
and at one time congressman from his district. Col Dell served in the
State legislature from Screven County four years, beginning in 1870.
He was also a member of the constitutional convention of 1877, and more
recently he was a delegate to the Democratic national convention which met
in St. Louis and nominated Cleveland for a second term. Col. Dell was
also largely instrumental in securing for his town the Sylvania Railroad,
which gives the people of Screven County connection with the outside world.
He has been manager of that live for several years.
Col. Dell is a man of family, having married Miss Fannie C. Sharp, a Screven County lady, in October, 1870. He has a pleasant home, and being comfortably settled, devoted to his profession, and a gentleman with some taste for social amenities, he is in a condition to enjoy the fruits of his labor and whatever fortune may have in store for him.
[Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]
DOUGLAS, GEORGE BASKERVILL
Sylvania, Georgia GEORGE BASKERVILL DOUGLAS. The name of the
subject of this memoir indicates at once the national origin of his paternal
ancestry. Dr. Douglas was born in Mecklenburg County, Va., August 12,
1816. His grandfather, James Douglas, emigrated from Scotland about
the year 1865 and settled in Hampton Roads, near Norfolk, Va., where he died
about the year 1884-85, of injuries received on board his ship, of which he
was both owner and commander. He left four children, three sons and
one daughter. Of these, James, the eldest, died, leaving two
children—Samuel J. Douglas, late of Florida, and the first United States
district judge of West Florida, and Mrs. McEnery, the mother of the late
governor of Louisiana. The second son died unmarried. The
daughter, Mary, married Archibald Vick, Esq., of Southampton County, Va.
Samuel Anderson Douglas first married Susan Yates, who died childless.
On the 4th of April, 1814, he married Mary Ann Baskervill, eldest daughter
of George Hunt Baskervill, Esq., of Mecklenburg County, Va., and his wife
Elizabeth Tabb. Twelve children were the issue of this marriage, all
of whom are now dead except the subject of this notice, who is the second
child of that union.
In the year 1820 the father Dr. Douglas moved to Milton, North Carolina, where he was engaged in business and planting; afterwards, in 1832, he removed to Danville, Va., where he again engaged in business. In both these places the son was given the best advantages of a classical education, which was completed at Patrick Henry Institute, under the charge of Joseph E. Geofrey, a distinguished educator of that period. On the completion of his academic course, Dr. Douglas commenced the study of medicine in the office of Drs. George and William G. Craghead, of Danville, Va., under whose instruction he remained three years, including his attendance on lectures in Philadelphia, and in June, 1839, he commenced practice in Salisbury, N. C.
On November 22, 1843, he married Mary Ellis, youngest daughter of Anderson Ellis, Esq., of Davidson County. She died April 4, 1845, leaving one child, a son. After the death of his wife he emigrated to Georgia in 1848, and located at Rome in the pursuit of his profession, and in 1849 attended a course of lectures in the University of Pennsylvania, and received a diploma from that institution in the following spring. Leaving Rome in 1855, he moved to Albany, Ga., where he met and married Mrs. Rosa Livingston, second daughter of Robert T. Lawton, Esq., of Screven County, March 31, 1857. Four daughters are the result of this marriage.
The late civil war found Dr. Douglas busily engaged in his professional work, but he at once entered the service, first as assistant surgeon of the First regiment Georgia regulars, and after that organization had been turned over to the Confederate States, was appointed surgeon to the same command, with which he served at Savannah, Fort Pulaski, Tybee Island and in Virginia. During his service in Virginia he was surgeon of the Sixth brigade (Toombs’). In May, 1862, he was relieved from the field and place upon hospital duty at Danville, subsequently at Petersburg, Va., and finally at Columbus, Ga.; at both of these latter places he was chief surgeon—“official designation”—in charge of the hospital organization. He was finally paroled at Albany, Ga. The close of the war found Dr. Douglas, like all Confederates, minus everything except wife and children, and an urgent necessity for work; he at once resumed his professional business and has continued therein until the present time, having moved to Sylvania, Ga., in 1870. He has been fairly successful, and always occupied in advanced position with the intelligent members of the medical profession. [Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]
FULLER, M. D., ROBERT W.
Blackshear, Pierce County, Georgia
ROBERT W. FULLER, M. D., was born in Screven County, Ga., December 22, 1959. His father, Tomas I., a farmer, and was born in Meriwether County, Ga., but lived for many years in Pierce County. He served in the Confederate army as captain and was afterwards a merchant and postmaster in Blackshear. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and highly esteemed for his moral worth. His wife, Mary C. (Kettles) Fuller, was born in Screven County, Ga., in 1830, and bore her husband eleven children, of whom Robert W. is the fourth child. He received his education from the University of Georgia, at Athens; in 1882 commenced to read medicine with Dr. H. J. Smith, of Blackshear, and graduated in medicine from the medical department of the State University at Augusta, Ga., in 1886. He then commenced practice in Blackshear. October 20, 1886, he was married to Miss Kate McD. Furgason [sic], of Alabama. They are the parents of one son, Robert W., Jr.
[Biographical Souvenir of Georgia and Florida by FA Battey & Co., 1889-Transcribed by LA Bauer]
HILL, GEORGE M.
Hill, George M., secretary and treasurer of the L. H. Hilton Company, general merchants, in Sylvania, Screven county, is recognized as one of the reliable and enterprising business men of that part of the state. He was born on a farm in Screven county, Ga., Dec. 22, 1872, and is a son of Edwin H. and Nancy (Mills') Hill, the former of whom was born in Burke and the latter in Screven county, in which latter they still maintain their residence, the father a planter by vocation and one of the sterling citizens of the county. George M. Hill secured his earlier educational training in the schools of Sylvania and supplemented this by a course of study in a business college in the city of Atlanta. He initiated his business career by assuming a clerkship in the general-merchandise store of his brother-in-law, L. H. Hilton, of Sylvania, later becoming bookkeeper in the shoe house of Byck Brothers, in the city of Savannah. Upon the incorporation of the L. H. Hilton Company, of Sylvania, in 1897, he became a stockholder in the concern and was made its secretary and treasurer, of which dual office he has since remained the incumbent. The company is one of the leading mercantile concerns of Screven county, controlling a large trade throughout the country naturally tributary to Sylvania, while the interested principals are known as reliable and progressive business men. Mr. Hill gives his allegiance to the Democratic party, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church South, in which he is a steward. On June 10, 1902, Mr. Hill was united in marriage to Miss Caroline White, daughter of Edward D. and Eliza (Southwell) White, of Screven county. Source (Georgia: Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form. VOL III Publ. 1906. Transcribed by Angelia Carpenter)
HILTON, LEE H.
Hilton, Lee H., has gained precedence as one of the leading business men of Screven county, where his interests are varied and important and where he has gained success through the application of his fine energies and marked initiative and executive talents. He is president of the L. H. Hilton Company, of Sylvania, conducting one of the largest and most metropolitan mercantile establishments in this section of the state ; is president of the Screven county bank, of Sylvania and of the Screven county oil mills. It will thus be seen, even at a cursory glance, that he has lent his aid and co-operation in the promotion of enterprises which greatly conserve the general welfare of the community, while he has also served in various offices of public trust and distinction. Mr. Hilton is a native of the county in which he has attained to so notable success, having been born on the home plantation, about twelve miles distant from Sylvania, April 20, 1865, and is a son of James L. Hilton, who was born in Macon county, Ga., and who has resided in the West since 1875,—now making his home in the city of Denver, Col. The mother of the subject of this sketch bore the maiden name of Mary Lanier and was born and reared in Screven county. She died in 1876, at Kearney, Neb., whither she had accompanied her husband in the preceding year. Lee H. Hilton secured his rudimentary education in the schools of Screven county and was ten years of age at the time of his parents' removal to Nebraska, where he completed his educational discipline in the public schools and remained there until he had reached the age of eighteen years. He then returned to Georgia, and for the ensuing three years was employed as a salesman in a Savannah mercantile establishment. In 1886 he located in Sylvania and engaged in the mercantile business on his own account. Concerning the upbuilding of the magnificent business of the L. H. Hilton Company, it is found consistent to quote, with somewhat of elimination, from an article recently published in a local paper: "Upon locating in Sylvania Mr. Hilton established himself in the general merchandise business in a comparatively small wooden building, on Main street. There he remained about twelve years, during which his business increased so materially that he found it necessary to seek more commodious quarters and to call to his assistance a partner in business; this was in the year 1897. It was about this time that a one-story brick store was built by Mr. Hilton, in a more central location on Main street, and it was here, in the spring of 1897, that the L. H. Hilton Company was organized and commenced business as a chartered corporation, with a paid-in capital stock of $10,000. Mr. Hilton is president of the company and George M. Hill is its secretary and treasurer. With its constantly increasing facilities the concern grew more and more in favor with the people, and the planters in particular, owing largely to the fact that it made a specialty of buying every bale of cotton that could be purchased from the growers. When the company first commenced business in Sylvania the annual shipments of cotton from this place amounted to only about 1,500 bales. It is almost entirely through the efforts of this enterprising company that the cotton shipments from Sylvania have reached so notable an amount in the past few years, nearly 5,000 bales having been shipped in the season of 1905." In 1903 the L. H. Hilton Company found it imperative to increase its capital stock to $25,000 and to build, opposite of the east front of the court-house, on Main street, one of the largest and finest business blocks in southeastern Georgia. The building is constructed of pressed brick and has trimmings of Georgia marble, while all equipments and accessories are of the most modern sort. The block is two stories in height, with basement, is lighted with acetylene gas and supplied with artesian water. This building and the company's warehouse afford an aggregate floor space of 26,000 square feet. The article from which the preceding quotations were made, continues as follows: "Here is the permanent home of the L. H. Hilton Company, truly one of the most enterprising and energetic business firms to be found in the territory between Savannah, Augusta and Macon. Within its walls is carried a stock of goods that would do credit to a city of 50,000 inhabitants, instead of a county site like Sylvania, the population of which barely exceeds 1,500. The retail trade of this concern is something enormous, and it is acquiring an enviable reputation as a wholesale house." In addition to the various departments devoted to general merchandise, the company also handles all kinds of farming implements and machinery, buggies, furniture, hardware, etc. Mr. Hilton, the head -of this great concern, which is a monument to his energy, discrimination, courage and financial acumen, is in the very prime of useful manhood and his reputation is without spot or blemish, as he has ever been actuated by the highest principles of integrity and honor, and is liberal and public-spirited in his attitude. In addition to his interests in this company he is president of the Screven -county bank and the Screven oil mills, and is the owner of valuable plantation property in the county. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Sylvania high school and is chief of the local fire department. He is an unswerving adherent of the Democratic party, and in 1900-01 represented his native county in the state legislature. No man in the county has done more to further its advancement and development and he merits the high esteem in which he is so uniformly held. On Dec. 2, 1886, Mr. Hilton was united in marriage to Miss Bessie Hill, daughter of E. H. Hill, of Screven county, and they have six children, viz.: Maud L., Corson L., George H., Louise, Dorothy, and L. IL, Jr. The eldest daughter is now a student in the Wesleyan college, in Macon. Source Georgia: comprising sketches of counties, towns, events, institutions, and ... edited by Allen Daniel Candler, Clement Anselm Evans
McCALL, JOHN G.
McCall, John G., LL. D., a distinguished member of the Georgia bar, president of the board of trustees of Mercer university, and one of the best known and most honored citizens of Quitman, Brooks county, was born in Screven county, Ga., Jan. 18, 1836. He is a son of Francis S. and Ann (Dopson) McCall, the former born in Screven county, Oct. 10, 1810, and the latter in Beaufort district, S. C., in 1816. Francis S. McCall was a son of Rev. William McCall, who fought under Gen. Francis Marion in the war of the Revolution. The family has been long and prominently identified with the Baptist church, and many representatives of the name have been and are numbered among its clergy. John G. McCall was graduated in Union university, Murfreesboro, Tenn., as a member of the class of 1858, receiving the degree of Master of Arts. Immediately after his graduation he was elected adjunct professor of mathematics and languages in his alma mater, and in the following year was elected professor of Greek and Hebrew, being the incumbent of this position at the outbreak of the Civil war. In March, 1862, Mr. McCall left the classic precincts of the educational institution to tender his services in defense of the Confederate cause, becoming lieutenant in Company K, Fiftieth Georgia volunteer infantry, with which he took part in the battles of Antietam, South Mountain, Gettysburg and Sharpsburg, as well as numerous skirmishes. During a severe skirmish near Funkstown, Md., he was severely wounded, having been captain of his company at the time. His injuries necessitated his retirement from the service, to which he was never able to return, and he received his honorable discharge on July 10, 1863. Mr. McCall was admitted to the bar of his native state in 1866 and has made his home in Brooks county since the close of his military career. He was elected ordinary of the county in 1864, served five years in this office, and has been largely interested in farming and other enterprises of importance. He is a member of the directorates of each of the following named corporations: Merchants’ & Farmers’ bank, First National bank of Quitman, South Georgia & West Coast Railroad Company, Quitman Compress Company, the Alliance Warehouse Company, and the Atlantic & Gulf cotton mills. He has twice been a delegate to the Farmers’ national congress of the United States and was for many years vice-president of the Georgia state agricultural society. He has been a member of the Missionary Baptist church since 1862 and has taught the same Bible class in the same Sunday school for forty-three years, with but few failures to present himself for the regular instruction of his class. He is a member of the Mercer Baptist association and is president of the board of trustees of Mercer university, which institution honored him with the degree of Doctor of Laws, in 1894. He is a trustee of Norman institute, at Norman Park; was for eight chairman of the board of education of Brooks county, is a member of the board of visitors and advisors of Cox college, at College Park; takes a special interest in educational affairs and in the young folks who come within the sphere of his influence. On Jan. 30, 1867, Mr. McCall was united in marriage to Miss Rosa Bobo, daughter of Dr. Virgil and Sarah Hansen (Black) Bobo, of South Carolina, and the children of this union are five in number, namely: Rosa Lee, wife of John O. Lewis; Rachel B., the wife of Charles F. Cater; Nonnie Bobo; John F.; and Edna F., the last named being the wife of Albert L. Tidwell. [Source: Georgia Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Vol 2, Publ 1906. Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
MOCK, PETER A.
Mock, Peter A., has been engaged in the general merchandise business in Sylvania for nearly twenty years and is now known as one of the leading business men of Screven county. His success is the more gratifying to contemplate from the fact that it has been attained through his own well directed endeavors and by means which have retained to him the unqualified confidence and regard of his fellow citizens. He was born in the thriving little city which is now his home, March 22, 1863. He is a son of Robert R. and Nancy (Robbins) Mock, both of whom were natives of Screven county, where the father was born in 1833. He was a successful planter at the outbreak of the Civil war, but tendered his services in defense of the cause of the Confederacy, was a valiant soldier in a Georgia regiment and died in 1867, soon after the close of the great conflict between the states. His widow, who was born April 18, 1834, survived him by many years, her death occurring July 15, 1898, at a venerable age. The early educational advantages enjoyed by Peter A. Mock were those afforded in the schools of Sylvania and Goloid, Screven county, and in 1887, at the age of twenty-four years, he established himself in the mercantile business in Sylvania, beginning operations on a very modest scale, as his financial resources were limited. All he received from his father's estate was represented in a cow and calf and about four acres of land. The basis of his mercantile business was the sum of $500, which he had personally accumulated by raising cotton, having had fifteen acres devoted to this crop and picking the cotton on eight acres himself. From this small beginning he has advanced to a position as one of the leading merchants and influential citizens of Sylvania, his well equipped department store displaying a general stock of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, clothing, etc., while he also handles wagons, buggies, agricultural implements, fertilizers, etc., buys and sells cotton and also owns a mule and horse market. He is an alert and progressive business man and is well entitled to the esteem in which he is so uniformly held. He is a member of the directorate of the Sylvania & Girard Railroad Company. Though never a seeker of public office Mr. Mock is a stanch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist church. On March 30, 1894, he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Conner, and they have four children, namely: Peter Arthur, Jr., Frederick, Mary Elizabeth, and Mildred Marguerite. [Source: Georgia Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Vol 2, Publ 1906. Transcribed by Tracy McAllister]
PARKER, HARDY W.
Parker, Hardy W., a representative business man of
Millen, where he is a large dealer in naval stores, and an extensive planter
of Jenkins county, was born on a plantation in Screven county, Ga., Aug. 2,
1853. He is a son of James and Mary (Lee) Parker, the former born in Screven
county, Dec. 25, 1811, and the latter, in the same county, Sept. 14, 1816.
They passed their entire lives in their native county, where the father was
the owner of a large and valuable landed estate. He died on Dec. 20, 1886,
and his wife passed away July 28, 1890.
They were married in January, 1833, and became the parents of eleven children, nine of whom attained years of maturity, though only three of the number are now living. James is a resident of Rocky Ford, Screven county; Harrison is a resident of Millen; and Hardy W. is the immediate subject of this sketch. The last mentioned acquired his early educational discipline in the schools of his native county, and has been identified with plantation interests from his youth to the present. He has also been a producer of and dealer in naval stores for many years. His extensive plantation was formerly in Screven county, but is now included in Jenkins, which county was organized in 1905. The Democratic party has his unreserved allegiance, and his religious faith is that of the Baptist church, of which he has been a member for nearly a score of years, his wife also being a devoted member of the same. On Dec. 24, 1874, Mr. Parker was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Cornelia Edenfield, daughter of the late William A. and Sarah (Bassett) Edenfield, of Barnwell, S. C, where she was born and reared. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have five children, namely: Arthur Cardel, Ira Oceola, Lillian Ward, Rebie Bernice, and Sarah Annice. Source: Cyclopedia of Georgia Transcribed by Friends for Free Genealogy
WADE, PEYTON L.
Wade, Peyton L., attorney and counselor at law, Dublin, is one of the leading members of the bar of Laurens county, and is a scion of distinguished ancestry. He was born at "Lebanon Forest," his grandfather's home, in Screven county, Ga., Jan. 9, 1865, a son of Robert M. and Frederica (Washburn) Wade, the former born in Screven county, March 4, 1840, and the latter in the city of Savannah, Aug. 31, 1844. His paternal grandfather, Rev. Peyton L. Wade, of Screven county, was the owner of an extensive landed estate and more than 500 slaves at the time of the inception of the Civil war. He was well known in his day as a man of broad information, profound scholarship and great wealth. He was for a time in the Georgia conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, when a young man, and continued a zealous member of that church until his death, in 1866, when well advanced in years. His second wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Robert, was a descendant of the Huguenot, Pierre Robert, from whom many of the patrician families of South Carolina claim descent. Her maternal grand¬father was Samuel Maner. The first wife of Rev. Peyton L. Wade was the widow of Isaac G. Crawford, a brother of Gov. George W. Crawford, of Georgia, but no children were born of this union. Frederica (Washburn) Wade was a daughter of Joseph Washburn, who was born in Massachusetts, whence he came to Georgia as a young man and here passed the remainder of his life. For many years prior to his death he resided in Savannah, and for a long period held the presidency of the old Savannah bank, one of the leading financial institutions of the entire South. He was a brother of Gov. Emory Washburn, of Massachusetts, a very distinguished lawyer, who was Bussy professor of law in Harvard university for many years, and the author of "Washburn on Real Property," as well as many other works. He was the last Whig governor of Massachusetts. Joseph Washburn was thrice married, and the subject of this sketch is a descendent of his second wife, whose maiden name was Martha Ingersoll, of the well known Ingersoll family of Massachusetts. The maiden name of his first wife was Bird, and she was of a South Carolina family, while his last wife, who bore him no children, was a resident of Savannah at the time of their marriage, her maiden name having been Habersham. Joseph Washburn was an ardent secessionist, and all of his sons, two by his first and two by his second marriage, were valiant soldiers of the Confederacy during the Civil war. He died about the beginning of the war, having been a citizen of wealth and a man of unspotted integrity. The Washburn family is descended from Joseph Washburn, whose father married a granddaughter of Mary Chilton, the first woman who stepped from the "Mayflower" on Plymouth Rock. The original progenitor of the family in America was one of the first Puritan settlers of Massachusetts and was secretary of the colony. The grandfather of Joseph Wash¬ burn, of Savannah, was Col. Seth Washburn, of Leicester, Mass., who served as colonel in the Revolutionary army. He was a man of distinction in his day, and held various public offices after the war, including that of member of the Massachusetts house of representatives.
The Wade family is of Welsh derivation, the family crest being a dove with an olive branch. The original American settlement was made in Spottsylvania county, Va., whence representatives came to Georgia in an early day. Robert M. Wade, father of the subject of this review, was a soldier of the Confederacy during the Civil war, having enlisted, in 1862, as a member of the First Georgia regulars, in which he was a lieutenant, and remained in active service until the close of war, having been with the command of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston at the time of the surrender. He was graduated in the Georgia military institute at Marietta, as a member of the class of 1860, and was afterward on the staff of Gen. Frank W. Capers, in the Georgia militia. After the disbanding of the militia he was a member of the Twenty-second Georgia battery of artillery, as hospital steward, having been a medical student from 1860 until the time when he entered the army. After the evacuation of Savannah he was in the quartermaster's department. He was in Virginia during the early part of the war, and after about a year was there stricken with typhoid fever. A few weeks after his return home, for recuperation, he joined the army in Savannah, and served until the close of the war, as noted. He was graduated in the medical department of the University of Maryland at Baltimore, as a member of the class of 1872, and thereafter was engaged in the practice of his profession until 1898, when he retired, by reason of impaired health.
For a quarter of a century he was a resident of Athens, Ga., where he died on Dec. 7, 1904. His wife still survives him. Peyton L. Wade, to whom this article is dedicated, was graduated in the University of Georgia, as a member of the class of 1886, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Arts and standing fifth in a class of forty-seven members. He was junior speaker of his class, the place being awarded in competition for composition, and was class tree orator; he was also senior speaker, the place being awarded on class standing, and was class poet at the commencement exercises, in July, 1886. After graduation he taught one year in the Dublin high school, and thereafter was editor of the Dublin Post for six months. He studied law in the office of his uncle Ulysses P. Wade, of the firm of Dell & Wade, Sylvania, Ga., and was admitted to the bar in Screven county, in November, 1888. Immediately afterward he went to the paternal home in Athens, where he remained six months, during which he served his novitiate in his profession. He then established himself in Dublin, where he has since been engaged in practice. He has enjoyed a good practice in Laurens county for fifteen years and for the past decade has confined himself entirely to civil business. He is counsel for various local corporations, and is local counsel for the Wrightsville & Tennille and the Central of Georgia railway companies. He is a member of the Georgia bar association and has the largest professional library in his section of the state, as well as the largest private and general library, the law library comprising over 800 volumes and the general library more than 2,000, including many special and limited editions. Mr. Wade is affiliated with Kappa Deuteron Chapter, of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity at the University of Georgia, and also with the Knights of Pythias and the Royal Arcanum. He is a Democrat in his political allegiance, but has seduously avoided and refused to enter politics or to accept office. On April 13, 1895, he was united in marriage to Miss Gussie K. Black, who was at the time a resident of Atlanta, a daughter of George R. and Georgia A. (Bryan) Black, of Screven county. Her father and paternal grandfather, Edward J. Black, have both served Georgia as members of Congress. Mr. and Mrs. Wade have one child, Frederica Washburn Wade, born Sept. 11, 1905. Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz
WADLEY, WILLIAM MORRILL
Wadley, William Morrill, a pioneer of the railroad
development of Georgia, was born in Brentwood, N. H., Nov. 12, 1813, of
Puritan ancestry. He learned the blacksmith's trade and when he was about
twenty years of age went to Georgia, where he worked as a blacksmith in
various places, until he became a railroad contractor on the Central of
Georgia railroad. By his ability and close attention to details he rose
rapidly and in 1849 was made superintendent of the road. From that time
until his death he occupied a prominent place in Southern railroad circles.
During the war he was appointed superintendent of transportation for the
Con¬ federacy by President Davis and after peace restored he was called upon
to rebuild the Central railroad. He died August 10, 1882. The employees of
the Central railroad have erected at Macon a magnificent bronze statue,
dedicated to "Our President and Friend."
Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz
WALKER, WILLIAM J.
Walker, William J., president of the Citizens' bank of Sylvania and a member of the firm of W. J. Walker & Co., conducting the only mercantile establishment at Middle Ground, Screven county, is one of the representative young business men of that county, which has been his home from the time of his birth. He was born on his father's plantation, March 15, 1875, is a son of James T. and Sallie (Robbins) Walker, both of whom were likewise born and reared in Screven county and now reside at Middle Ground, the father being chairman of the board of education of the county and a man of prominence and influence in his community. He has large landed interests and is associated with the subject of this sketch in the general merchandise and naval-stores business at Middle Ground, under the title of W. J. Walker & Co., noted above. He is a son of the late William Walker, who likewise was a native of Screven county, and a soldier of the Confederacy in the Civil war. The maternal grandfather of the subject of this re¬ view was Archibald Robbins, also born and reared in Screven county and represented the same as a loyal soldier of the Confederate States of America. William J. Walker attended a neighborhood school at intervals until he had attained the age of twenty years, and at the age of twenty-one he engaged in the mercantile business at Middle Ground, where he has since continued in the same line of enterprise, having built up a large and profitable trade, having the only store in the village. The firm carries a select stock of general merchandise and also operates largely in the handling of naval-stores. William J Walker has shown marked energy and initiative power, and is entitled to be considered one of the representative business men of his native county. In October, 1905, he organized the Citizens' bank, of Sylvania, incorporated under the laws of the state, and he has been president of the institution from the start. The bank was opened for business Jan. 1, 1906, and is meeting with distinctive success and popular appreciation. He is a Democrat in his political allegiance, is a member of the Baptist church, as is also Mrs. Walker, and is a Master Mason. On Feb. 1, 1900, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Walker to Miss May Blitch, daughter of the late Willis S. Blitch, of Screven county, and they have two children- Willis, born Dec. 17, 1900, and Regis, born Sept. 5, 1905. Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz
WEST, MARY ANN (nee HUNTER)
West, James, for many years prominently identified with the industrial and political life of Georgia, was born in Lenoir county, N.C., Jan. 18, 1811, of English and Scotch lineage. Some of his ancestors served in the colonial and Indian wars, as well as in the Revolutionary war, and several representatives of the family were in the Confederate service in the war between the states. About the year 1830 James West came to Georgia, and on June 8, 1837, was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Hunter, a daughter of Hardy H. Hunter, of Fort Valley. She was born in Screven county, Ga., Aug. 18, 1815. In 1857 Mr. West was elected to the state senate from the district comprising Lowndes and Thomas counties and during his term he introduced and aided in the passage of the bill to create the county of Brooks from the counties of Lowndes and Thomas. Through his influence the county was named in honor of Preston S. Brooks, who was at that time a distinguished member of Congress from South Carolina, and he named the county seat Quitman, in honor of Gen. John A. Quitman, a gallant soldier in the Mexican war. He was a member of the state militia in the Civil war and his eldest son, Hardy H., was killed in one of the battles near Richmond, while fighting in the Confederate army. James West continued to live in Brooks county until 1863, when he removed to Madison county, Fla., and settled near the Withlacoochee river, where he passed the remainder of his life. He was an excellent farmer and adopted many new methods in advance of his time. By his progressive ideas on agriculture and his indomitable energy amassed a fortune as a farmer, but it was swept away by the Civil war. He was noted for his kindness and hospitality, and especially for his humane treatment of his slaves, to whom he gave many holidays not accorded to them by other slaveholders. In all respects he was a true and typical Southern gentleman, a Democrat in his political convictions, an active and appreciative member of the time honored Masonic fraternity, and generous to a fault. Although his opportunities to acquire an education in his youth were limited, he left an impress for good upon the people in the communities where he lived, as his influence was always exerted for the moral and physical uplifting of his fellow-men. His death occurred at his home in Madison county, Fla., Sept. 2, 1880. His wife died on Oct. 29, 1888. Twelve children were born to them, the names and dates of birth being as follows: Sarah E., May 30, 1838; Martha A., Dec. 14, 1839; Mary J., Dec. 4, 1841; Hardy J., Aug. 23, 1843; Laura F., March 11, 1845; Leonora J., July 6. 1847; William S., Aug. 23, 1849; Abram H., April 13, 1851; John W., Feb. 5, 1853; Robert A., Feb. 23, 1855; Eugene E., July 1, 1857; Orena I., Nov. 21, 1861. Of these children six are still living. The four surviving brothers are especially mentioned in the succeeding paragraphs, and the record of the others is as follows: Sarah E. married Dr. J. P. Y. Higdon on June 17, 1858 and he died on Oct. 1, 1895; Martha A. was married to Col. W. L. Irvine on Dec. 12. 1877, and died on Nov. 1 1888. Mary J. was married to A. H. Lane on May 1, 1866. And is now living in Valdosta; Hardy J. was killed in battle on May 28, 1864, as above mentioned; Laura F. was married to J. T. Peacock on Dec. 18, 1862, and is now living in Valdosta; Leonora J. died in May, 1857; Robert A. died in January, 1858; Orena I. was married to J. P. Coffee on Nov. 23, 1881, and died June 1, 1887. She was the mother of three children, viz.: Jamie Sue, born March 21, 1883; Lizzie Lee, born Jan. 26, 1885, and Mattie Orena, born May 29, 1887. The last named died on Oct. 6, 1887. Source: GEORGIA: Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Vol 3 - Edited by Ex-Governor Allen D. Candler and General Clement A. Evans, State Historical Association, 1906 - Transcribed by Kristen Bisanz
Check your attics!
Dust off your family scrapbooks!
We're looking for DATA for this site!!!
If you would like to submit data for this site,
please email your submissions.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails. All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters