Early Parishes of Georgia
an excerpt from
The Story of Georgia and the Georgia
1732 to 1860
by George Gillman Smith, D.D.
Originally published c. 1901
Transcribed by K. Torp, ©2007
Early Parishes of
was laid off into 8 parishes in 1758, viz:
Christ Church, which included all of Chatham and the
Matthew's, which included
all of Effiingham and much of Screven.
St. George's, all of Burke, Jefferson, and a part of
Paul's, all of Richmond,
Columbia, McDuffie, and a part of Warren.
St. John's, all of Liberty.
St. Andrew's, all the section south of the Altamaha,
near Darien. (became Camden County)
St. Philip's, the section on the south side of the
Ogeechee, west of Liberty. (became Glynn
James's, Frederica and
the county south of it to the disputed line.
In 1765 four
new parishes, St.
Patrick's, St. David's, St. Thomas's and St.
Mary's, were laid out in
the section south of the Altamaha, and now contained in Camden,
Charlton, and the adjoining counties. These parishes were not
really organized, and were such in name only.
There was a feeble effort to
build a church in each of these parishes, but save the log church
in Augusta and in St. George's parish I can find no evidence that
any others were built.
The new immigration was very large. The first comers
had reported so favorably of the land that great crowds of
immigrants came from the older counties of Virginia and from
middle and eastern North Carolina into St. Paul's, St. George's
and St. Matthew's parishes. Many Scotch-Irishmean came directly
from Ireland and settled in what is now Jefferson county, which
was then St. George's parish. Many Marylanders came into the land
on Little river, and another body of Quakers came from North
Carolina, led by Mr. Jos. Mattocks, and settled near what was
known as the villago of Wrightsboro. When the newly ceded lands in
1773 were opened for settlement there was at once a large
immigration into that section, which was afterward known as
Return to Main Index Page