Whitfield County Georgia Genealogy Trails
"Where your Journey Begins"
BIOGRAPHIES OF WHITFIELD COUNTY GEORGIA
To a family name that has been one of no little distinction in connection with civic and material activities in his native State of Georgia, Hon. George Grant Glenn has contributed new honors through his sterling character and noteworthy achievement. He is engaged in the practice of his profession in the City of Dalton and is recognized as one of the foremost criminal lawyers in Northern Georgia, with unmistakable leadership at the bar of Whitfield County; he has achieved splendid work as a legislator and is now serving, in 1914, his third term as representative of Whitfield County in the State Legislature; he has become known for his versatility as a writer and lecturer; his character is the positive expression of a strong and loyal nature; as a citizen he gives earnest support to all measures and agencies tending to promote the moral, educational and material welfare of the community; he has, in short, given excellent account of himself in all of the relations of life, and to such men.it is most gratifying to accord definite consideration in a publication of the province assigned to the one at hand.
George Grant Glenn was born in Whitfield County, Georgia, on the 28th of October, 1868, and is a son of Jesse and Eliza (Crook) Glenn, the former of whom was born in Gwinett County, Georgia, on the 21st of December. 1833. and the latter of whom was born on her father's fine plantation in Greenville District, South Carolina, a daughter of William and Nancy (Evans) Crook.
Jesse Glenn was a son of James and Maria (Thompson) Glenn, the former of whom was born and reared in the State of New York and the latter in Georgia, where their marriage was solemnized and where in his youth Mr. Glenn received a liberal education. Early in the nineteenth century three brothers of the Glenn family made their departure from the old Empire State, Robert having settled in Louisiana, James, grandfather of the subject of this review, having established his home in South Carolina, where as a teacher he achieved marked success and prestige in educational circles of the period, and the third of the brothers went to the West, after which his family lost all trace of him. From South Carolina James Glenn removed to Georgia and established his residence in Chattooga County, where he continued his services as an able representative of the pedagogic profession, besides accumulating property and becoming a citizen of prominence and influence, both he and his wife passing the remainder of their lives in this state.
Largely under the personal direction of his father Jesse Glenn acquired an excellent education, and like his sire he became a successful and popular teacher, his services in this field having been initiated when he was a youth, in Chattooga County, whence he later removed to Whitfield County. He was a resident of the latter county at the inception of the Civil war and to him came the distinction of having recruited the first company in this county for the Confederate service, that of Company H and he afterwards organized the Thirty-sixth Georgia Regiment and was its colonel. Upon the organization of Company H he was chosen its captain by acclamation, and the gallant little command became a part of the regiment commanded by Col. Paul J. Sims. Captain Glenn proved a most dashing and intrepid soldier and officer, and his nerve and daring were often looked upon as approaching rashness. It is certain that his enthusiastic valor led him into the very thick of the fray in the various engagements in which he participated and that his courage brought grave penalties, in that he received severe wounds. In the Battle of Vicksburg he lost one-half of his left hand and a part of his left shoulder, these grievous wounds having been caused by a bursting shell, and his arm having ever afterward been practically useless to him. While in active service at the front Captain Glenn was detached from his regiment and sent, by Gen. A. W. Reynolds, to Northeastern Georgia with authority to recruit a brigade. With characteristic energy and finesse he expeditiously accomplished this work insofar as was possible before the time when his mission became fruitless, owing to the termination of the war and the ultimate attending disaster to the Confederate cause and the interests of the stricken and prostrate South. It will thus be seen that the physical infirmity resulting from his wounds did not in the least dampen the loyalty and ardor of Captain Glenn, and that high distinction would have been his had he been permitted to raise his brigade is evident from the fact that after the close of the war there was sent to him his commission as brigadier general, an honor that he deeply appreciated. How pleasing to record that this gallant veteran, with the strength of his noble manhood, permitted the passing years to so soften the animosities entailed by the Civil war, that when the Spanish-American war was precipitated, many years later and at a time when he was nearing the psalmist's span of three score years and ten, his military zeal and intrinsic patriotism prompted him, in spite of venerable age and physical infirmity entailed by ancient wounds, to tender his services in the recruiting of a company for this modern conflict at arms. His very age and infirmity through wounds caused his overtures to be rejected. Captain Glenn was a man of high ideals and noble aspirations. He was never known to betray a friend or to harbor malice against an enemy. He was a natural leader in thought and action, yet his genial optimism and unvarying consideration for others gained to him troops of friends and caused him to exemplify involuntarily the truth of the statement that "The bravest are the tenderest; the loving are the daring." This honored and revered Georgian passed the closing years of his long and useful life in the City of Dalton and was summoned to eternal rest on the 20th of March, 1904, about two months after his seventieth birthday anniversary, his loved and devoted wife having passed away three years previously, at the age of sixty two years.
Prior to the Civil war, and when but nineteen years of age, Captain Glenn was appointed judge of the Inferior Court of Chattooga County. He removed to Dalton in 1852, and after the war he served four years as postmaster of this city, under the administration of President Grant. He was a stalwart republican in his political proclivities, and represented Georgia on the presidential electoral ticket at the time of the election of President Harrison and later of President McKinley. Through thorough training and broad experience he became one of the prominent and representative members of the bar of Whitfield County. He was a man of fine physical constitution and great vigor, of utmost urbanity and graciousness of manner, and frequent attention was drawn to his remarkable facial resemblance to Rev. Henry Ward Beecher. Of the seven sons of Captain Glenn four died in infancy, and concerning those who attained to manhood the following brief data are given: Williams Crook Glenn, who became recognized as one of the leading lawyers of Georgia and also as one unexcelled in intellectual attainments, died at the age of forty two years, in the City of Atlanta, where he was at the time a member of the prominent law firm of Glenn & Rountree. Thomas R. Glenn, who was formerly United States deputy collector of internal revenue, resides in the City of Dalton and is now sheriff of Whitfield County. Hon. George Grant Glenn, whose name initiates this review, was the next in order of birth. Alexander M. Glenn met his death as the result of injuries received in an explosion in Dalton and was twenty-one years of age at the time. Charles A. Glenn, who became a prosperous farmer in Whitfield County, died at the age of twenty-four years.
In the public schools of Dalton George G. Glenn continued his studies until he had been graduated in the high school, and he then turned vigorously to preparing himself for the profession in which his father had gained success and high honors. Applying himself closely to the study of law under the effective preceptorship of his father, he proved himself eligible for and was admitted to the bar of his native state on the 31st of October, 1889three days after attaining to his legal majority. His professional novitiate was served in Dalton, and from 1896 until the spring of 1902 he was engaged in the practice of his profession in the City of Atlanta, as an associate of the firm of Glenn & Rountree, of which his eldest brother, the late Williams C. Glenn, was the senior member. In 1902 Mr. Glenn returned to Dalton, and in the following year he was elected representative of Whitfield County in the State Legislature, his effective service continuing through 1902-3-4. In 1908-9 he was again found the loyal and efficient incumbent of this office, and in 1914 he was once more elected representative of his county in the Lower House of the Legislature. As a legislator Mr. Glenn has shown great discrimination, loyalty and zeal during each term of his service, and he has been influential in the enactment of many measures of great importance to the state and its people. The election to office of this popular citizen is the more significant as indicating his hold upon the confidence and esteem of the people of his county, in that the same is normally a democratic stronghold and he has invariably been elected as a republican, his activities and influence having made him one of the leaders of the republican party in his native state. Though essentially practical, of marked maturity of judgment, Mr. Glenn is animated by the most wholesome spirit of charity and good will and is specially earnest in his upholding of the unfortunate and misguided, with broad humanitarian spirit and with naught of intolerance. This attribute of his is always in evidence and is not to be restrained by objective power or influence. The following clause from his published platform at the time when he appeared as candidate for the Legislature in the autumn of 1914 tells its own story: "I favor and will vote for all temperance and moral laws which seek to build up a high moral plane and better life for the people of Georgia. Especially do I favor the industrial schools, and the reformatories for unfortunate women and wayward boys. I want to give them a chance in life and hold out a helping hand to those unfortunate classes. It is my earnest wish and desire to do all in my power to help my fellows."
In the Legislative Assembly of 1903 Representative Glenn introduced the very important bill prescribing a 2-cent passenger rate on all railroads operating in Georgia, and at that session he was assigned to the house committees here noted: General judiciary, Western & Atlantic Railroad, temperance, penitentiary, University of Georgia, and State Sanitarium. An irrepressible humorist and dominant wit, Mr. Glenn had made innumerable contributions that have "added to the joy of nations," and not even in the dignified halls of legislation has he seen tit to submerge his tendencies. In the session of the Georgia Legislature in 1908 he introduced freak bills the text of which was published and copied in newspapers and magazines throughout the country and including the leading New York dailies. The grotesque humor and facetiousness of these productions, it is needless to say, had no tendency to cause a feeling of depression and grief on the part of those who heard or read. One was known as the rainbow-hosiery bill, another as woman's wiles, or the blandishment bill, and with all of austere dignity Mr. Glenn presented a pretentious amendment to the Shaw mosquito billa legislative document and not the appendage of the insect. In the legislative session of 1914 Representative Glenn came to the front with another of his famous "joker" bills, the text of the same being to effect the legalization of the dances known as the tango and turkey-trot, and authorities being quoted in reversion to the days of King Solomon and King David.
Under appointment by President Harrison, Mr. Glenn served four years as a representative o"f the United States census department. In 1910 he was elected judge of the City Court of Dalton, for a term of four years, but his liberal ideas and policies in the treatment of defendants appearing in his tribunal led to the abolishing of the court entirely after he had served one year - a result which he has viewed with unqualified satisfaction. He invariably gave unfortunate persons the benefit of a doubt, tempered justice with mercy, suspended sentences and remitted or reduced fines, and otherwise brought consternation to many lawyers appearing in his court, his interpretations having, however, been in consonance with law and precedent and his functions having been exercised with a humane spirit that might well be emulated in other tribunals. The same attitude has made him a .strong criminal lawyer, and he gives special attention in his practice to this branch. He is local attorney in Dalton for the Southern Railroad and has other influential and important elements of clientage. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, the Improved Order of Red Men, the Order of Phoenix and the Woodmen of the World, and is identified with representative social organizations in his home city and also in Atlanta. His wife holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in which denomination the Quillian family has maintained leadership for generations, five or more of its representatives having been clergymen of the church, and such preferment having been given by both the Northern and Southern conferences. Mr. Glenn is the author of a succinct history of the life of the noted Cherokee Indian of Georgia, Chief Vann, and copious extracts from this biography and tribute have been published by leading papers throughout the Union. With his proclivities as a humorist and his ability as an orator, Mr. Glenn is much in demand on the lecture platform, and in this line he has contributed his quota to the high prestige of Georgia as a state of high literary standing and distinctive culture.
In the year 1891 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Glenn to Miss Mollie Rebecca Quillian, daughter of William C. and Jane (Tye) Quillian, her father being a prominent agriculturist and business man of Whitfield County. The five children of this union are Jesse G., Edgar Latham, Dessie I., and Lillian and Lucille, who are twins. In conclusion it may be stated that Mr. Glenn is now out of politics. He states that from the present time on he will at all times be independent in his affiliations, and proposes to vote the "national Prohibition ticket." [Source: "A standard history of Georgia and Georgians", Volume 4, 1917; By Lucian Lamar Knight]
The western and northern states have long put forth special claims for progressiveness and priority along industrial and commercial lines and for the almost spontaneous production of men of great initiative and business capacity, but to the deep student of economic conditions in the United States comes a full appreciation of the fact that the New South has not fallen behind in the sending forth into the field of industrial enterprise men of as brilliant talent and as great constructive ability as can be claimed by any other part of our great national domain, the while it is prima facie that the Southern states are making rapid advancement year by year in the development of extensive and important manufacturing and commercial enterprises. In consonance with these statements there is need only to refer to the career of the wide-awake and vigorous business man whose name introduces this paragraph and who has by his own efforts gained distinctive success and prestige as one of the veritable captains of industry in the South. He is president of the Mascot Stove Manufacturing Company, of Dalton, Whitfield County, and under his effective direction as chief executive this corporation has become representative of one of the important industrial enterprises not only of the thriving City of Dalton but also of the State of Georgia, so that there is all of consistency in according to him special recognition in this publication.
James Franklin James was born in Dickson County, Tennessee, on the 30th of April, 1877, and is a son of Thomas Jefferson and Nancy Jane (Hudson) James, both likewise natives of Dickson County and representatives of sterling pioneer families of Tennessee. Thomas J. James continued to devote his attention to agricultural pursuits in his native state until 1881, when he removed with his family to Texas, but he remained in the Lone Star State only three years, at the expiration of which he made the return journey and settled on a farm in Fulton County, Kentucky, where he and wife still maintain their home.
He whose name initiates this review was about four years of age at the time of the family removal to Texas, and after the removal to Kentucky he there received the advantages of the public schools of Fulton County. At the age of eighteen years he entered the Southern Normal University, and in this institution he defrayed his expenses by doing janitor work and acting as agent for a laundry. He was graduated as a member of the class of 1899, and he then went to the home of his maternal uncle, Robert A. Hudson, who was superintendent of a foundry at South Pittsburg, Tennessee, and who gave to his nephew a position in this establishment, where he worked as shipping clerk, at a salary of about $50 a month. Mr. James soon became aware that moulders in the foundry earned from $25 to $30 weekly, and he therefore determined to learn the moulder's trade. In the same foundry he served a thorough apprenticeship at this trade, and in the meanwhile his ambition and his determination to make advancement led him simultaneously to take a course of study in the technical line of shop work, by availing himself of the advantages of the celebrated International Correspondence School, at Scranton, Pennsylvania. He made every leisure hour count and in this excellent institution he was graduated in 1905. Soon afterward he went to the City of Chattanooga, where he found employment at his trade in the shops of the Chattanooga Roofing & Foundry Company, and his technical and executive ability eventually led to his promotion to the position of superintendent of the foundry, which is the largest in the State of Tennessee. For the purpose of fortifying himself more adequately along technical lines, he completed in the same correspondence school a thorough course in mechanical engineering, and this knowledge enabled him to do efficient service as a draftsman, for his technical and practical training were coincident and he was from the beginning of his original apprenticeship fortunate in being thus able to make immediate practical application of the specific knowledge acquired through the efficient medium of the correspondence school and further to develop a natural inventive genius. At this juncture it may be noted that Mr. James is the inventor of four valuable patented devices that are effectively utilized by the company of which he is now the president. One is a detachable grate that may be readily adjusted to all grate baskets. Another of his inventions is the "Titelock Sad Iron," but his maximum achievement was the invention of the really wonderful range to which he has given the consistent title of "Kitchen Kumfort," the same involving an entirely new principle in range construction and the great superiority of the manufactured product being conceded by the best authorities. This range, which is manufactured by the Mascot Stove Company, of which Mr. James is president, is fully covered by letters patent that were issued by the United States Patent Department under date of February 2, 1915. In a circular issued by the company the following basic principles of this improved domestic range are designated as .follows: "First - A stationary damper plate placed between top of stove and top oven-plate, with openings for heat to pass through. Second - A damper slide with openings to co-act with openings in damper plate, capable of blocking all or any part of the heat in its passage to flue or stovepipe and causing it to travel through down-draft flue in front and under oven, making a complete circuit and producing a more equal distribution of heat in all parts of the oven than is possible with other ranges. Third - A flue at each end, top and bottom of oven, front flue being between fire-box and front oven plate. The heat in passing out of fire-box down front flue begins heating the oven at once, this resulting in a great saving in fuel and a cooler kitchen in the summer, as the heat is under control. When damper is closed, heat is held in range, keeps the oven hot and does not radiate out in the kitchen to the discomfort of the housewife." In short it may consistently be said that the "Kitchen Kumfort" Range has all of the good points of the other high-grade ranges manufactured and in addition has special advantages that are of great importance and value and that cannot be claimed for any other range. It bakes bread in three to five minutes and browns top and bottom alike, and that without any shifting of pans.
To revert to Mr. James' association with the Chattanooga Roofing & Foundry Company, it may be stated that he was eventually advanced to the management of one of the sales departments, a position of which he continued the incumbent one year and which he resigned to identify himself with the company of which he is now president and also treasurer. His resignation occurred in 1912, and in November of that year he established his residence in the City of Dalton, Georgia. In the following month, while retaining the title of a previous corporation, he here effected the organization of the Mascot Stove Manufacturing Company, which is incorporated for $20,000, and of which he has been from the time of incorporation the incumbent of the offices of president, treasurer and general manager. The stock holders of the company are for the most part residents of Whitfield County and are business men of prominence and influence, F. F. Farrar being vice president and secretary, and K. B. Watson superintendent of the factory. The business of this important corporation rests upon a most solid foundation, both capitalistic and in intrinsic superiority of its products, so that its expansion is proving rapid and of most substantial order. The "Kitchen Kumfort" range has merits that are destined to bring for it the widest demand and incidentally the name and fame of the City of Dalton will be spread far and near, so that the enterprise of this vigorous company is to be viewed as one of the most important industries of Northern Georgia.
Mr. James gives his allegiance to the democratic party, is progressive as a citizen as well as a business man, is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his character and achievement fully entitle him to the unqualified popular esteem in which he is held. Incidentally it may be noted that he is a second cousin of Hon. Ollie James, the distinguished and popular United States senator from Kentucky.
At South Pittsburg, Tennessee, in the year 1901, Mr. James was united in marriage to Miss Effie Alice Deakins, who was born and reared in Tennessee and who is a daughter of Harvey and Harriet (Tipton) Deakins and a granddaughter of Hon. Jonathan Tipton, who was governor of Tennessee during the War of 1812. Mr. and Mrs. James have five children, the first three of whom were born at South Pittsburg and the younger two in Chattanooga, Tennessee, their names being here entered in respective order of birth: Dow D., Cora Jeanette, Thomas Grady, Alice Effie, and James Franklin, Jr. [Source: "A standard history of Georgia and Georgians", Volume 4, 1917; By Lucian Lamar Knight]
As a great writer once said, "Biography is the only true history." Every man's life teaches some useful lesson and furnishes to some extent an example, either to follow or to avoid. The present biography is worth perusing as showing that any man of intelligence and enterprise can overcome great handicaps in early life and achieve success and an honored place among his fellow citizens if he has the will to do so. Thomas H. Jeffries, the present ordinary of Fulton County, Georgia, and a resident of Atlanta, was born on Capitol Avenue, this city, April 16, 1854, son of Henry Franklin and Martha (Defoor) Jeffries. The father was a native of Rockingham County, Virginia, who came to Atlanta in early manhood. He was a contractor and builder by occupation, and constructed the. first car shed on the site of Atlanta's present union station. His earthly career, however, was short, as he died October 26, 1854, when but twenty nine years old. He had married early in 1853 Martha Defoor, a native of DeKalb County, Georgia, the subject of this sketch being their only child. The mother died on May 16, 1854, little more than five months before the death of her husband, their son being thus left an orphan in the fullest sense of the word. Fortunately he found a refuge in the home of his maternal uncle, Thomas Moore, of Moore's Mill, on Peachtree Creek, near Atlanta, who had married Elizabeth Defoor, Mrs. Jeffries' sister. They became as second parents to him, treating him as if he had been their own son, and to this day he reveres their memory, as they were the only parents he ever knew.
During his boyhood young Jeffries worked on his uncle's farm and in the mill - which was a familiar landmark of former years, but was long ago torn down. He attended school but little in his early boyhood, but at the age of eighteen years he entered Emory College, at Oxford, Georgia, where he spent five and a half years, graduating with the degree of A. B. in 1877. On November 22d of the same year he was married to Annie Laura Greene, a member of an old family of Fulton County, and he and his young wife settled on a farm in Whitfield County, Georgia, ten miles from Dalton, where they lived happily for nine years, and here all his children were born. During the first year on the farm Mr. Jeffries taught school but afterwards gave all his attention to agriculture. On August 3, 1886, Mrs. Jeffries fell sick with typhoid fever and died, leaving him with four young children. Remembering his own youthful experience, he placed them in the care of his Uncle and Aunt Moore, with whom they found a good home, as he knew they would. He then came to Atlanta, of which city he has since been a resident. From 1886 to 1889 he was associated with his uncle in the milling business. After this for three years he was secretary and treasurer of the Atlanta Stove Works, with which concern he has been connected officially ever since, being now its vice president. In 1893 he entered the office of the clerk of the Superior Court of Fulton County as a deputy and served continuously in that capacity for twenty-two years, or until April 30, 1915, on which date he was overwhelmingly elected ordinary of Fulton County, to succeed the late John R. Wilkinson. He is now the incumbent of this office, having assumed its duties May 7, 1915. Mr. Jeffries' popularity throughout the county is evidenced by the fact that, although he had two opponents in the campaign, he received 3,899 votes to 1,263 cast for them both. In politics he is a democrat.
Mr. Jeffries is one of the most prominent Masons in Georgia, having all the degrees of the order except the thirty-third, which is attained by but few. He is past presiding officer in all the subordinate bodies of York Rite Masonry and is a past grand master of the Grand Lodge of Georgia; also deputy grand high priest of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of the state. In the Improved Order of Red Men he is just as prominent, being a past great sachem of that order in Georgia, and at present great senior sagamore of the Great Council of the United States. If he lives until September, 1916, he will become great incohonce of the orderthe highest position in it. He also belongs to the Elks and Knights of Pythias, being a past chancellor of the latter order. His religious affiliations are with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. As a man of business ability he is widely recognized, and is now serving as president of the board of trustees of the Southern College of Pharmacy. On November 29, 1899, Mr. Jeffries was united to his second and present wife, who was in maidenhood Miss Mildred Fuller. His children, who are all by his first wife, are: Mabelle, Werner Moore, Clymer Defoor and Alice, all of whom have attained maturity. In view of Mr. Jeffries' past record it is safe to say that his stability of character and devotion to duty will not fail him in the future and that he will administer the duties of his present office in a manner satisfactory to his fellow citizens.
[Source: "A standard history of Georgia and Georgians", Volume 4, 1917; By Lucian Lamar Knight]
A veteran of distinguished service, a lawyer of marked ability, a politician and statesman of unusual popularity and a capitalist of clear judgment is the Hon. Francis Longley, whose name is a household word in the State of Georgia. Now well along in success crowned years, he is still keenly alive to all the interests of life. Striking among his characteristics are the historic hospitality of his ancestral Britain and his native South, and a rare patriotism that is in part a hereditary gift from his paternal grandfather. The latter, William F. Longley, was a Virginian who participated in the heroic events of the war of the Revolution and who carried from the Siege of Yorktown a bayonet wound attesting his American loyalty and his youthful intrepidity. In 1800 he removed to Tennessee, where he was well known as a prosperous planter throughout the remainder of his life. Of William F. Longley's twelve children, the eighth was John C. Longley, who married Miss Hannah Ray, daughter of William Ray, a native of North Carolina and a slaveholder. John C. and Hannah Ray became the parents of fourteen children, including him whose name forms the caption of this article. The first child, named Janie, died in her early maidenhood; her brother, James Longley, who became a successful farmer and active politician, lived until 1907; the second brother. Lewis, was also a farmer, whose life closed in 1895, in Whitfield County, Georgia; Mary Longley became Mrs. James Matlock and lived to the year 1905, her later home being in Parker County, Missouri; Jasper Longley, an agriculturist of Whitfield County, Georgia, passed from earth in 1909; next in line was our subject, Francis Marion Longley: his sister Elizabeth became Mrs. Center of Dalton, Georgia, where she died in 1910; Caroline Longley McIIaan, now a widow, resides in Chattanooga. Tennessee; Sarah Longley, Mrs. Joseph Smith, died in Dalton, Georgia, in 1892; Houston Longley is still one of Dalton's citizens; Henry G. Longley, another brother who is occupied with landed interests, also lives in Dalton; Lou, who married Joseph Bogle, died in 1890, having been a resident of Whitfield County; California Longley died in 1870 at Dalton; Elvira, the youngest child of the family, was the only one to die in childhood. A large and vigorous family of wholesome ideals, they made no slight impression upon the community in which they lived. John C. Longley, the father, was well educated for his time and well read. He took great interest in civic affairs and was withal a particularly successful planter. It was during the residence of the family in Polk County, Tennessee, that the son was born to John C. and Hannah Ray Longley whom they named Francis Marion. The day of his birth was April 4, 1839.
The education of Francis Marion Longley was begun in Benton, Tennessee, where he received thorough training in academic subjects. He was twenty two years of age when he joined Company C of the Third Tennessee Infantry. That was in 1861, and during the service Mr. Longley rose from the private ranks to the office of lieutenant of the Sixty-second Tennessee Regiment. He served until the end of the sectional conflict, participating in the Battle and Siege of Vicksburg, the Battle of Big Black River and numerous others. The first year of his service was spent in Virginia. On the occasion of the Siege of Vicksburg, Lieutenant Longley was captured. He was paroled and again made "a prisoner at the time of Lee's surrender. His activity in the battle of Strawberry Plains above Knoxville, Tennessee, was made memorable by his receiving a slight wound as a mark of his fearless valor.
Returning to private life, Mr. Longley, still in the strong tide of ambitious youth, proceeded to study law. His first tutor in legal jurisprudence was Jesse A. Glenn, of Dalton, Georgia, and it was not long before the Hon. James Milner, of Cartersville, found him sufficiently erudite for admission to the bar of the state. His maiden practice was at Dalton, Georgia, in partnership with Col. J. A. Hanks. For two years he continued as junior member of that firm and when they were ended he began his independent practice. He chose as a new location the Town of West Point, in Troup County, Georgia, where he remained until 1871. In that year he settled in La Grange, where he has ever since resided.
The career of Mr. Longley has been notable for. political preferment and civic service. In the early '70s he held La Grange's highest public office. His mayoralty was followed by his election to the Georgia Legislature, of which he was a member in 1873 and 187L In 1880 he was appointed by Governor Colquitt to fill out the unexpired term of Hon. Hugh Buchanan, Judge of the Superior Courts of Coweta Circuit. It was during that period that Judge Longley became one of the organizers of the Cotton Growers' Convention, which was held at Macon and the purpose of which was regulating the price of cotton. So efficient was Mr. Longley in the promoting of this organization that he was made its first president. •
In 1906 Judge Longley was honored with another judicial office. This was the judgeship of the City Courts of La Grange, an office which he held for three years. At the close of that period of service, he was called upon to once more leave his municipality and serve his district in the State Legislature. He therefore went again to the capital in the capacity of representative, in the year 1909. A still higher office awaited him. In 1910 he was returned to the seat of state government as a senator.
Various important bills have been credited to Senator Longley's initiative ability and his purposive activity. It was he who introduced the bill, now a law, to license the carrying of concealed weapons. Many instances are noted as to his effectiveness in killing unwise or harmful legislation; as chairman of the penitentiary committee and-also of the county lines committee he has further good work to his credit. Absolutely steadfast in the courage of his convictions, the ex-senator never hesitates to take an independent stand. He took a leading part in the defense of S. Guy McClendon, whom he believed a victim of most undeserved persecution.
In the commercial phases of his long and successful career, Hon. F. M. Longley is most widely known as a cotton man and banker. As far back as the '70s, he was prominent in this organization of cotton interests which has meant so much to the new South, and in which connection he is known far beyond the confines of his state. Locally, his connections as a cotton dealer have been marked by his organization of the first cotton mill company of La Grange—known as the La Grange Mills—and his share in forming the Unity Cotton Mills combination in La Grange. In finance, Mr. Longley is prominent as vice president of the La Grange National Bank, having been one of the organizers of the same.
Since 1869 Mr. Longley has been blessed by a singularly happy home life. On June 1 of that year, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Poer. She was a daughter of Rev. D. M. Poer and Elizabeth Pattillo Poer, of Harris County, Georgia. Mr. Poer was one of the saintly leaders of the Methodist Episcopal Church and also a lover of the soil and a participant in the agriculture of his community. Mary Poer became a Baptist, like her chosen companion, and as Mrs. Longley, she joined in the church activity which has been one of the ex-senator's many enthusiasms. He is perhaps more proud of his office as deacon in the La Grange Baptist Church and of having served as moderator of the Western Association of his religious denomination than of his high standing as a Royal Arch Mason and of all the political honors that have come to him. Mrs. Longley was a gifted organizer, like her husband, and the Ladies Missionary Society of the La Grange Baptist Church owes its existence to her initiative effort. Her home and her church were her two great sanctuaries and her devotion to both seemed tireless. Mary Poer Longley passed from human sight in the year 1913, at her home in La Grange, after sixty-one years of beautiful earthly life. It had been her good fortune to see her and her husband's three sons grown to an efficient and worthy manhood and successfully settled in life. The eldest son, Frank P. Longley, who was born during the West Point residence, has honored both his father and the profession the latter represents by choosing the same learned vocation. A graduate of Emory College, F. P. Longley is now a prominent attorney in offices shared by his father and himself. He too has served as judge of City Courts in La Grange. The commercial talent and proclivities of Hon F. M. Longley seem to have been inherited by the second son, Fuller M. Longley, who is head of the Longley Manufacturing Company, a house manufacturing clothing, and located at Waco, Texas. Law again claims Eldon S. Longley, who spent his first two years of professional activity in the Longley offices at La Grange, then established himself at Muskogee, Oklahoma, where he made good to a conspicuous degree, and who four years later opened offices in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he is now a leading member of the local legal fraternity. Many hostages to fortune has ex-Senator Longley given, in his competent and distinguished sons; in the legislation he has aided in bequeathing to the state; in the fortune he has acquired; and in the great circle of countless warm friends, proud to know this famous Georgian, charmed by the genial light of his chivalrous personality, thrilled at the remembrance of his beneficent deeds—military, civic, religious, philanthropic—a life that has been worth the living.
Source: A standard history of Georgia and Georgians, Volume 5 By Lucian Lamar Knight
As a lawyer, legislator and a broad-minded and progressive citizen Hon. William Edmond Mann has made upon his native state the impress of his strong and resourceful individuality. He is engaged in the practice of his profession in the City of Dalton, judicial center of Whitfield County, and is accorded indubitable precedence as one of the representative members of the bar of the Cherokee District, this prestige being the direct result of sterling character, distinctive ability and large achievement in the handling of legal affairs of broad scope and importance, the name of Mr. Mann having appeared in connection with a large amount of the more notable litigation in the courts of this section of the state. He has served in both branches of the Georgia Legislature and was influential and constructive in his work for judicious legislation, so that there are many reasons why he should be accorded recognition in this history of the Empire State of the South.
Mr. Mann was born in Gordon County, Georgia, on the 14th of March, 1862, and is a son of Dr. Joel J. and Sally (Hunter) Mann, both likewise natives of Georgia and both representatives of sterling old families of this favored commonwealth. Doctor Mann was born and reared in Newton County and prior to the Civil war he had removed thence to Sugar Valley, Gordon County. His preparation for his profession included a course in the Georgia College of Medicine in the City of Augusta, and though he devoted no little attention to the practice of his profession in Gordon County, much of his time was given to the supervision of his extensive operations as an agriculturist. He was a member of the Home Guard of Georgia during the progress of the Civil war, the Confederate cause having been signally upheld by him through his services in buying supplies for the troops in the field, and his ability in this line having been so manifest that the governmental authorities discouraged his enlistment for regular service as a soldier. He was the owner of a valuable landed estate and an appreciable contingent of slaves prior to the war, and, like so many others of the prosperous citizens of the South, he met with no inconsiderable financial reverses as a result of the great polemic contest between the North and the South. The family home continued to be maintained in Gordon County until 1870, when removal was made to Floyd County, where the representative of this honored family continued to be found for more than thirty years, after which Gordon County again became the home. Doctor Mann was born on the 31st of January, 1833. His cherished and devoted wife was summoned to eternal rest in 1896 and both had been earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They were persons of superior intellect and high ideals, and they commanded the sincere regard of all who, knew them. Concerning their children the following brief record is consistently entered: Delia, who became the wife of James Harris, was a resident of Floyd County at the time of her death, in 1898; Anna is the wife of Presley Smith, a substantial farmer of that county; William S., of this review, was the next in order of birth; Rev. Alexander Jefferson Mann was a prominent clergyman in Georgia of the Presbyterian Church, and after serving fifteen years as pastor of the church of this denomination at Sumach, Murray County, he removed to Texas, where he is now pastor of the Presbyterian Church at McGregor, McLennan County; Joel J. is a successful agriculturist and stock-grower in that same county of the Lone Star State; Robert Lee received a liberal education, was for some time engaged in teaching school and is now one of the prominent farmers and influential citizens of Whitfield County, Georgia, where he has given effective service as a member of the county board of education; Alice is the wife of Pryor Stark, a successful merchant in the City of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
William E. Mann is indebted to the schools of Gordon and Floyd counties for his early educational discipline, and thereafter he was graduated in the high school at Subligna, Chattooga County. In 1882 he was graduated in Dahlonega College, a branch of the University of Georgia, and received therefrom the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In order to acquire the financial reinforcement requisite to enable him successfully to carry forward his work of preparation for his chosen profession, Mr. Mann devoted some time to teaching in the schools of Chattooga County. In the City of Rome, Floyd County, he earnestly prosecuted the study of law, under the effective preceptorship of Col. William H. Dabney and Robert L. Fouche, prominent members of the bar of that county, and in 1883 he was admitted to the bar, at the October term of the Superior Court of that county, his examination having been conducted before the presiding judge, Hon. Joel Branahan.
In 1884 Mr. Mann engaged in the practice of his profession at Ringgold, Catoosa County, where he built up a large law business and where he continued his activities until 1907, and in the meanwhile he served three terms as mayor of Ringgold and one term, 1898, as state senator from that district. In 1905-6 he represented Catoosa County in the lower house of the State Legislature, and while the incumbent of this position he introduced the bill for the separation of the white citizens of Georgia from the Negroes in public conveyances, including railroad coaches and street cars, this bill, which was brought to enactment, being similar to the so-called "jim-crow" laws passed in other states of the South. At this session of the Legislature Representative Mann introduced also a bill to permit tenants to file counter-affidavits when unable to give indemnity bonds in connection with leases. Mr. Mann had also the distinction of introducing an income-tax bill, this representing the first definite effort made for the accomplishing of this measure in Georgia. In the lower house he introduced and ably championed to passage his bill providing for the pensioning by the state of all its Confederate soldiers of sixty-two years or more.
In 1907 Mr. Mann founded a broader field of professional endeavor by removing from Ringgold to the City of Dalton, where he has since continued his successful work as one of the leading attorneys and counselors at law in this section of his native state, his practice being of broad scope and importance and being not confined to his home county. Thus it may be noted that he is retained as attorney of the Alaculsy Lumber Company, a prominent industrial corporation of Murray County: He was prominently influential in that county in effecting the removal of the judicial center of the county from Springplace to Chatsworth. Though no partnership alliance is maintained, Mr. Mann and Col. William C. Martin are closely associated in much of their law practice and are mutually valued coadjutors, a sketch of the career of Colonel Martin being incorporated on other pages of this work.
Essentially loyal and progressive as a citizen, Mr. Mann takes vital interest in all that touches the welfare of his home city, county and state, and at Dalton he has served as a member of the city council and as mayor pro tem. He is a stockholder of the A. J. Showalter Printing & Publishing Company, in the Crown Cotton Mills and the Dalton Stove Company, three of the important industrial corporations of the capital city of Whitfield County. He is the owner of two valuable farms in Whitfield County.
Mr. Mann has given most valiant and effective service in advancing the cause of the democratic party and is an able exponent of its principles and policies. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, is a charter member of the Dalton Country Club, holds membership in the Georgia State Bar Association, and both he and his wife are earnest members of the Presbyterian Church of Dalton, of which he is a deacon. Mrs. Mann is president of the Woman's Club of Dalton, is active in church work and in connection with social clubs and is an influential member of the Dalton chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy, which noble organization she represented as a delegate in the national capital. Mrs. Mann is a woman of most gracious personality and of distinctive culture, as she is a graduate of Centenary College, in which institution she made her junior year notable by winning all the medals as a reader and essay writer.
On the 22d of September, 1892, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Mann to Miss Irene Gordon, the ceremony having been performed by the pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Ringgold. Mrs. Mann was born and reared in Catoosa County, and is a daughter of Judge Thomas M. and Ophelia J. (Smith) Gordon, her father having been a gallant soldier in both the Mexican and Civil wars, in which latter he was a prominent member of a Georgia regiment in the Confederate service, and in later years he won distinction through serving as judge of the inferior courts of Catoosa County. Mr. and Mrs. Mann became the parents of five children, of whom the firstborn, Albert H., died at the age of three and one-half years; William Gordon, who was born June 24, 1895, was graduated in the Dalton High School and the Suwanee Military Academy, in Gwinnett County; Joel J., who was born May 28, 1897, has completed the curriculum of the Dalton High School and is to continue his studies in the military academy at Suwanee; Luther T. was born November 27, 1903, and Marian Edmunds was born on the 25th of February, 1907, all of the children claiming Ringgold, Catoosa County, as the place of their nativity. [Source: "A standard history of Georgia and Georgians", Volume 4, 1917; By Lucian Lamar Knight]
Successfully engaged in the practice of his profession in his native city of Dalton, Doctor Rollins has high status and unqualified popularity as one of the able and representative physicians and surgeons of Whitfield County, and that he is a scion of one of the sterling pioneer families of Georgia needs no further voucher than the statement that his paternal great-grandfather was one of the first to receive from the Government a grant of land in Georgia in recognition of loyal and gallant service as a patriot soldier in the War of the Revolution, this statement giving also the assurance that the Rollins family was founded in America in the colonial era of our national history.
Dr. John Calvin Rollins was born in the City of Dalton on the 25th of November, 1875, and is a son of John S. and Sarah (Thomas) Rollins, both of whom were born and reared in Murray County, this state. John S. Rollins was born in the year 1838 and his wife in 1851, the respective families having been ones of prominence and influence in Murray County. Mr. Rollins was a son of Calvin and Sarah (Stroud) Rollins, both natives of Murray County, Georgia, where the former was born in the year 1812 and where he eventually became an extensive planter and the owner of a large number of slaves. He was a leading member of the Primitive Baptist Church in his county and was a man whose tine character gave him secure vantage place in the esteem of all who knew him. He died in the year 1887, and his father, a veteran of the Continental Line in the Revolution, was the soldier-patriot to whom was given a grant of land in Georgia, as stated in the opening paragraph of this article. This honored founder of the Georgia branch of the family was a native of South Carolina and represented that commonwealth as a Revolutionary soldier, he having passed the latter years of his long and useful life as a pioneer citizen of Georgia and having been eighty-six years of age at the time of his death.
John S. Rollins was the eldest in a family of ten children, the second in order of birth being Martha, who is the wife of James Mc.Mahon, their home being in Tennessee; Nancy is the widow of Stephen Anderson and resides in the City of Chattanooga, that state; Elizabeth became the wife of Ralph Jackson and she was a resident of the State of Oklahoma at the time of her death; Julia is the wife of Boss Cobb, of Comanche, Oklahoma; Fannie R. is the widow of James Crimm and she likewise is a resident of Comanche; Viola died at the age of nineteen years; Robert, who was a soldier in a Georgia regiment during the Civil war, died in the State of Texas, in 1913; Luther also was a resident of the Lone Star State at the time of his death; and Boss passed his entire life in Murray County, Georgia, where he died at the age of twenty-two years.
Reared and educated in his native county, John S. Rollins there continued his identification with the basic industry of agriculture until there came the call to higher duty and his immediate response to the same. When the South found it necessary to defend her rights on the field of battle he enlisted in the Confederate ranks, as a member of the Thirty-ninth Georgia Regiment, and after.he had taken part in numerous engagements he was captured by the enemy and held for some time as a prisoner of war. He was finally paroled and after his exchange was effected he promptly re-enlisted and proved anew his valor as a faithful soldier of the Confederacy. Among the most noteworthy battles in which he took part were those of Missionary Ridge and Atlanta. After the war he resumed his activities as a farmer in Murray County but he came eventually to Whitfield County, where he became a prominent representative of the same line of industry, the closing years of his life having been passed in the City of Dalton, where he died on the 1st of February, 1910, his widow still remaining on the old homestead, and having celebrated her sixty-third birthday anniversary in 1915.
John S. Rollins was thrice wedded, his first marriage having been with Miss Frances Ann Wood, daughter of George Wood, of Murray County. She was survived by five children, namely: Cora, who became the wife of Thomas W. Cox and who died in the year 1913; William Jefferson, who is now a resident of Comanche, Oklahoma; Margaret, who is the wife of Robert O. Mitchell, of Dalton, Georgia; Albert L., who is a prosperous farmer of Whitfield County; and Dora, who is the wife of James Kirby, of Yellville, Arkansas. Of the second marriage of John S. Rollins no children were born. His third marriage, to Miss Sarah Thomas, resulted in the birth of eight children, of. whom Dr. John C., of this review, is the eldest; Charles Edward died at the age of twenty-two years, in 1892; Robert Franklin is a representative farmer near the Village of Redclay, Whitfield County; Thomas Oliver is manager of the Indian Refining Company, of Dalton; Jessie is the wife of William Yates, of Ringgold, Catoosa County; Maude remains with her widowed mother at the old homestead; Arthur Earl, who is a progressive farmer of Whitfield County, married Miss Ruth Vining and they have one child, Arthur; Ernest, who likewise is numbered among the prosperous farmers of Whitfield County, wedded Miss Winnie Robertson, and their one child is Kathryn Louise.
Dr. John C. Rollins continued to attend the public schools of Dalton until he had completed the curriculum of the high school, and that he made good use of these advantages is shown by the fact that he proved himself eligible for pedagogic honors and services. For a period of eight years he devoted his attention to teaching during the summer months, principally in the rural schools of Murray and Tattnall counties, and through this medium he, accumulated the funds that enabled him to defray the expenses of his professional education. He entered the medical department of the University of Georgia, where he prosecuted his studies during the winter terms, his summers being given to teaching as previously noted. He was graduated with honors as a member of the class of 1904, and after receiving his well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine he forthwith instituted the practice of his profession in the City of Dalton, where his success has been on a parity with his recognized ability and where he now controls a specially large and representative practice. He is a close and appreciative student of the best in medical and surgical literature and thus keeps in touch with the advances made in both branches of his profession. Further influence is given to him in this direction through his active affiliation with the American Medical Association, the Georgia State Medical Society, the Whitfield County Medical Society, the Southern Medical Association, the Southern Clinical Society, and the Georgia Surgeons Club. The doctor has won high vantage-ground as one of the leading physicians and surgeons of his native county and as one of the foremost representatives of his profession in this section of the state. The doctor can give no negation to his strong allegiance to the democratic party and is most loyal and public-spirited in his civic attitude, but he deems his exacting profession worthy of his undivided time and attention, subordinates all extraneous interests to its demands, and thus has had no desire to enter the arena of so called practical politics. He is affiliated with the Dalton organizations of the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and was reared in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which both he and his wife are members. The only definite diversion from the arduous work of his profession that Doctor Rollins consents to indulge is an occasional extended automobile tour with members of his family, and on one occasion they made by means of his modern touring car the journey from Dalton to New York City, finding the trip most interesting throughout.
On the 23d of September, 1903, was solemnized the marriage of Doctor Rollins to Miss Anna Tolula Lane, who likewise was born and reared in Whitfield County and who is a daughter of John D. and Ella (Robinson) Lane, both of whom were born in this county, where they retained their residence until 1907, Mr. Lane having been a successful merchant here, and having been engaged in the same line of enterprise at the present time in the thriving little City of Ardmore, Oklahoma, to which state he removed in 1907. Doctor and Mrs. Rollins have three children, Evart Lane, who was born December 20. 1905; John Daly, who was named in honor of his maternal grandfather and who was born August 10, 1907; and Annie Sue, who was born March 31, 1914. [Source: "A standard history of Georgia and Georgians", Volume 4, 1917; By Lucian Lamar Knight]