Genealogy Trails Logo

Welcome to Hawaii Genealogy Trails

Maui County
Crime Stories

Cruel Bandit Pays the Death Penalty for a Hideous Crime
Nervy to the Very Last - He Goes to His Doom Without a Tremor
Assists in Arranging the Harness - Other Murderers Soon to Stand on the Same Trap
Honolulu, Dec. 15, via San Francisco, Dec. 22 - Last Monday morning Noa, the native Molokai outlaw, paid the death penalty for the murder of a Chinese store keeper. The execution took place within the walls of the Oahn prison. Noa died without a perceptible tremor. Half supported by two guards on his journey to the gallows, he stepped with unfaltering step upon the death trap and, straightening up, he stood motionless while his legs were bound with a strap. He showed no fear when the noose was adjusted about his neck but rather assisted the guards by holding his head high. When the clergyman who followed the condemned man up to the scaffold commenced to pray Noa reverently bowed his head. The minister, with eyes closed and hands upraised, had not finished when one of the guards slipped the black cap over the murderer's head. Warden Low, standing in the court yard below, took out his watch. It was the signal. With a rattle and bang the trap fell and an instant after Noa's body hung dangling in mid-air. The crime for which Noa was executed was one of the most brutal and cold blooded murders in the criminal annals of the islands. Noa was the leader of a band of robbers and cut throats who made their homes in the Molokai mountains. For years they had terrorized the neighborhood. Noa would go to the greatest extreme to avenge a real or fancied wrong, cutting out the tongues of his neighbors' cattle, laying death traps for his fellow men in the woods and practicing other like cruelties. On the evening of April 7th, in company with two confederates, he broke into the store of Aauo, an aged Chinese, and terrifying the man out of bed beat out his brains with a stone. Heo Sheo, the store keeper's wife was choked into insensibility and left for dead. The thieves then ransacked the place, carrying off all the valuables and hiding them in the mountains. Noa was betrayed by a relative and captured, but afterwards escaped and the officers had a hard time to recapture him. He was tried here by Judge Carter and sentenced on August 18th last.
(Idaho Statesman, December 23, 1897, page 1 - Contributed by Peggy Thompson]

Swift justice has been visited upon the heads of the Maui murderers. Within the week Sagata and Yoshida have been convicted of murder in the first degree and sentenced to death. The Lahaina court has broken all records on murder cases, having disposed of three in a week's time. Sagata was charged with the murder of his wife and child and was caught red handed. Yoshida stabbed a Japanese woman to death with a knife and the evidence of his crime was just about as conclusive as that against his fellow countryman. Sagata will be hanged on the last Friday in March, 1898.
[Idaho Statesman, December 23, 1897, page 1 - Contributed by Peggy Thompson]

On December 29th an attempted murder and suicide took place at Koheo, Kula. A Korean man stabbed a Japanese woman in the neck seven or eight times and thinking that he had killed her fled but realizing that he could not escape from the island returned to the vicinity the same night and attempted suicide by cutting his throat in the corn storehouse of a Chinese who later found the wounded man covered with bags and slowly bleeding to death.

The Chinese the next morning summoned Deputy Sheriff Edgar Morton.

Dr. W. F. McConkey attended the Korean who will survive to be punished for his evil deed.

The woman is in a critical condition but may recover.

It is surmised that the cause of the assault was a quarrel about money.

The man and woman had been living together for some months, and it is thought that the latter had become weary of supporting the former who was a worthless fellow. It is stated that the Korean was a gambler and was formerly employed by the government in Kula as a sort of spy or detective in the Korean counterfeiting case. [Source: Maui News Saturday January 8, 1910; transcribed by Barb Z.]

John Patterson, plantation storekeeper and assistant postmaster of Hamakuapoko, Maui, was this morning held for the grand jury by U. S. Commissioner A. F. Judd on a charge of forgery, bond being placed at $1,500

Patterson is alleged to have benefited by a Federal witness fee check for $28 cashed by the wrong man, as exclusively reported in yesterday's Star. [Source: Hawaiian Star Wednesday August 3, 1910; transcribed by Barb Z.]


The recent trip to Maui of United States Marshal Eugene R. Hendry, not to mention a trip made about the same time by United States District Attorney R. W. Breckons, has resulted in the arrest of a Russian and his daughter and a Japanese at Lahalna, whence the three will be brought to Honolulu to answer charges having to do with white slave traffic.

According to the testimony of a Korean, Kin Young Sik, now In this city as a witness in the case of alleged forgery against Patterson, the Hamakuapoko assistant postmaster, a Russian Immigrant laborer offered to sell his sixteen year old daughter, a comely, girl, to the Korean Above named for the sum of $500. The Korean, it is said, contemplated the proposed transaction, but first took the girl on trial. He postponed the expected payment of money until, as he explained to the father, he could purchase a trousseau for his prospective bride, said trousseau to consist of a number of long dresses, in as much as the girl, at the time she was offered for sale, was wearing knee skirts, with her hair in twin pigtails. However, the dear between the Russian and the Korean did not come to pass and, It is alleged, the father transferred his pretty but unfortunate daughter to a Japanese, Sakal by name, and it Is charged that the Japanese has been peddling her.

The Japanese, when confronted by the Federal officers, produced a marriage license, apparently hoping that this license would help with the law, but in which hope he is now sadly disappointed.

When Breckons takes a vacation it does not follow the prosecution takes a recess. [Source: Hawaiian Star Wednesday August 3, 1910; transcribed by Barb Z.]


© Genealogy Trails