Genealogy Trails Logo

islands of hawaii

Genealogy Trails

Obituaries from Hawaii

(Check the individual county sites also.
If the obit indicated a county name, they'll go on that site)

Burns, John Anthony - Governor of Hawaii

Estee, Morris M. - Federal Judge
The Funeral Services Took Place Sunday in the Central Union Church Instead of Masonic Temple
The Body Was Taken to the Steamer Alameda Sailing at Noon—An Escort of Honor—Last Hours of the Dead Jurist Estimate of His Career and Character.

After the news of the unfavorable turn in Judge M. M. Estee's condition, which was given in yesterday morning's Advertiser, the community was not unprepared for the announcement of his death which soon followed. Judge Estee died at 8:55 a. m. There was but a slight flush of apparently favorable symptoms shown by the patient late Monday night, other than which the real truth was only too evident as being that his relapse could not be stayed.

Judge Estee bore up bravely and even cheerfully for forty-eight hours after the operation performed on Saturday afternoon, but became unconscious on Monday and so continued until the end with an interval of delirium. The attending physicians, Drs. Maya and Wood, were powerless against the handicap of age and a long-preceding term of broken health.

Those who watched by the bedside or the dying jurist in his last hours included Mrs. Estee, Miss Ryan, Justice and Mrs. Galbralth, District Attorney Breckons, Assistant District Attorney Dunne, Marshal Hendry, Clerk Maling and E. P. Dole. Among the first callers on Mrs. Estee, after the news of the death got about, were Governor Dole and Superintendent Cooper.

It was one of Judge Estee's last requests that his body should be sent to San Francisco for burial. Hence after his death arrangements were promptly made for sending the remains there in the Alameda leaving today. W. G. Irwin & Co., agents of the Oceanic Steamship Co., delayed the sailing of the steamer from 11 a. m. until 12 m., to give opportunity for funeral services here over the body.

There was a large meeting of prominent Masons held at the Masonic Temple in the morning, presided over by Abram Lewis, Jr., acting Master of Hawaiian Lodge, F. & A. M., to make arrangements for holding the funeral from the Temple. A committee to take charge of the ceremonies was appointed, consisting of E. I. Spalding, H. E. Cooper, N. E. Gedge, C. M. White, W. L. Stanley, C. S. Hail, M. E. Grossman, J. M. Little and A. Lewis, Jr. This committee met in the afternoon and completed arrangements, which included the participation of the Odd Fellows and other societies, together with the general public, in services at the Temple and in the procession.

Late in the afternoon, however, the place for holding the services was changed from the Masonic Temple to Central Union church whose pastor, Rev. W. M. Kincald, was to have delivered the address at the originally appointed place. This change appears to have been made in deference to public opinion, which deemed the church the more suitable place for a general assembly of the people under all the circumstances. It was not until late last night that the arrangements for the funeral were perfected.


Governor Dole ordered Captain Berger to suspend all public performances of the band for the day, hence there was no music at the Kinau’s departure and the concert announced for the Young Hotel last night was canceled.

Circuit Judges De Bolt, Gear and Robinson each adjourned court on hearing of Judge Estee's death. Judge De Bolt acted of his own motion, calling for remarks from the bar. No doubt it was in view of a set memorial session of the Supreme Court, which as a matter of course will be held, that none of the attorneys present responded. Judge Gear, on a motion of Attorney General Andrews to adjourn until Monday next, made a feeling speech from a personal acquaintance with Judge Estee extending back some years in California. Messrs. Stewart and Douthitt also made appropriate remarks. Judge Robinson was in Mr. Estee's law office in San Francisco for seven years and, besides expressing his greatest regard for the lamented jurist, said it was imperative that the court should honor his memory as that of the highest Federal Official in this Territory.

On account of the funeral of Judge Estee this morning, Judge De Holt on adjourning court yesterday excused his trial uurors until 9:30 a. m. tomorrow.

The Court of Land Registration adjourned for the day.

Treasurer Kepoikai ordered the Tax office closed yesterday afternoon, as it occupies quarters neighboring the Federal court chambers.

Governor Dole later issued an order directing that all Government offices be closed and flags upon public buildings displayed at half must until 12 o'clock noon today, in honor of the memory of Judge Estee,

J. D. Avery, reporter of the Federal court, hung crepe upon the door of his office in the Elite building and attached to the door a notice, heavily bordered in black ink, reading: "Closed. Honorable Morris March Estee, Judge United States District Court, died 9 a. m. Tuesday, October 27, 1903.” At the same time, immediately upon the death of the Judge, the flag over the Elite building was half-masted.

All of the staffs upon the Alexander Young Hotel building, where the late Judge had stayed, had flags at half mast when the news of the Judge's death was announced. As for business houses, it has been seldom if ever that so many of them showed flags at half mast on a single occcasion.

Col. J. W. Jones early in the day issued an order for the First Regiment, N. G. H., to assemble at the drill shed this morning at 8 o'clock, for the purpose of acting as an escort to the remains of Judge Estee.

The banks will not open until 11 o'clock today, out of respect for the late Judge Estee's funeral.

Owing to the funeral of Judge M. M. Estee, the Stock Exchange will not meet today till 11 a. m.


Funeral services over the body of the late Judge Estee will be held in Central Union church at 9:30 o'clock this morning, under the auspices and direction of Hawaiian Lodge No. 21, F. & A, M. Judge Estee was a Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of California, and Hawaiian Lodge is the only one in Honolulu working under that Jurisdiction. Hence its taking charge of the funeral, but the demands of seating capacity were so great that the church was selected for the services instead of the Masonic Temple. Rev. W. M. Kincaid kindly turned over the whole church for the use of the Masons.

In Central Union church seats have been set apart for those attending the services, as follows: On the left side, entering the church, Governor Dole and staff, Admiral Terry and aides, the Judiciary, officers from Camp McKinley, the whole Bar Association, heads of Territorial departments. Federal officials, postoffice, customs, internal revenue, quarantine, immigration, justice, etc..

On the right, entering the church, will be seats for the Honolulu C'ommandery, K. T., followed by the I. O. O, F, and K. of P. lodges.

In the middle, the chief mourners will occupy the first front pew but one, followed by the Masons occupying the next six rows.

The general public will fill up the back part and extreme sides of the church.

Bro. A. Lewis, Jr., Worshipful Master of Hawaiian Lodge, will have charge of the services at the church.
Bro. the Rev. W. M. Kincaid will deliver the funeral address. C. S. Wall will officiate as acting Commander of Hawaiian Commandery, Knights Templar, and N. E. Gedge as High Priest of Honolulu Royal Arch Chapter.

Mrs. Montague Turner will sing, as a solo, "Rest Noble Heart" by Nevins, and hymns will be sung by a choir composed of Miss Kelley, Miss Hartnagle, Mrs. C. B. Cooper, Miss Marie von Holt, Isaac Dillingham, Clifford Kimball und Walter F. Dillingham.

Col. J. H. Soper will act as grand master of the procession, assisted by Captain John Kidwell. Eight policemen will act as body-bearers and the following gentlemen as honorary pallbearers:

Robert Lewers, F. A. Schaefer, J. A. McCandless, B. F. Dillingham, E. P. Dole, Justice C. A. Galbraith, Judge Austin Whiting, R. W. Breckons, E. R. Hendry and W. B. Maling.

The order of procession will be as follows:

Squad Of Police
Tyler Hawaiian Lodge
Federal Troops
Hawaiian National Guard
Knights of Pythias
Independent Order Odd Fellows
Honolulu Commandery, K. T.
Junior Stewards
Senior Master Masons
Junior Wardens
Junior Deacon
Senior Deacon
Senior Past Masters
Holy Writings Carried by Oldest Member
Worshipful Master of Hawaiian Lodge, No. 21, F. & A. M.
Rev. William M. Kincaid
(With five pallbearers and four police on each side)
Governor and Staff
Admiral and Staff
U. S. Garrison Commander
Justices of Supreme Court
Circuit and District Court Judges
Territorial and Federal Officials
Bar Association

Forming on Alakea street near Beretania and extending out the latter street to and peel the church, the procession will take its line of march down Alakea to King street, Ewa along King to River street, along River across the mid-wharf to Hackfeld wharf, at which point the Federal and Territorial troops will form in line on the Waikiki aide of the wharf. The Odd Fellows will bank on the Waikiki side of the wharf immediately mauka of the soldiers, allowing the Masons to open ranks and permit the hearse and pall-bearers to pass through.

[Source: The Hawaiian Gazette – October 30, 1903 – Submitted by Dale Donlon]


The late Judge Morris M. Estee would have been sixty-nine years old had he lived another two weeks. He
was born in the little township of Freehold, Warren County, Pa., on November 10, 1834. His father, Ansel Estee, a native of Buffalo. N. Y., was a well-to-do farmer of the time honored Eastern type. There were nine children in the Estee family and Morris was the eldest. When a mere child his parents moved from Freehold to Erie county, in the same State, and there Estee spent his early life the same as the other children of farmers did. He attended the public schools and later a so-called select school. But his ambitions were beyond the limits of his father's farm, and, after spending two years at the Wakerford Academy, of Erie county, he resolved to strike out alone in quest of fortune. The stories that came eastward concerning the great riches of the then undeveloped Golden State made Estee eager to join the great army of young men that traveled west. At the age of twenty he found himself in California and at once went to the El Dorado county gold mines, where he spent two years. While leading the rough life of a miner he continued to work as a student, and he soon learned that his way to success lay through intellect rather than muscles. He then took up the study of law in the office of Judge F. M. Paulding, a fellow Pennsylvanian, and in 1859 was admitted to the practice of law. He hung out his sign at Sacramento and during his first years as a struggling lawyer found that his business was not so heavy but what he could dabble in politics. In 1863 he was elected to the lower house of the Legislature, his work during the session of that year being recognized by the people of Sacramento by his election to the office of district attorney, which he held until 1866.


In 1868 Estee removed to San Francisco. There were brilliant opportunities at the Golden Gate at that time for young attorneys. He soon had a large practice and built up a reputation as one of the leading lawyers of the State. In 1871 he made himself politically felt by his light for Booth for the Governorship. After the latter's nomination Estee was made secretary of the State Republican Central Committee, in which position his ability as an organizer of political forces was apparent in a remarkable degree. In 1875 Mr. Estee was sent to the State Assembly from San Francisco, and was chosen Speaker of the House with little or no opposition. In 1878 he was a member of the Constitutional Convention which framed the new constitution for California.

At the close of this work he returned to San Francisco and resumed the practice of law. In 1880 he was selected as one of the fifteen freeholders to frame a new city charter for San Francisco.

Mr. Estee was once described as "A man who combines a hitherto unsatisfied desire for office with a recognized fitness for it." His ambition was a great one. He wished to be Governor of California, then a cabinet minister, and perhaps later President of the United States. His political career from 1880 onward was one of stern and disappointing uphill work. In 1882, the Democratic tidal wave year when even Pennsylvania and Massachusetts elected Democratic executives in protest against the machine proclivities
of the Arthur administration, he stood against Gen. George Stoneman for Governor of California. Mr. Estee's high qualities were unable to counteract the anti-Republican mania which had swept over the country and he was defeated. Among his enemies was the Southern Pacific railroad.

Twelve years later Estee renewed the fight for the California Governorship. He headed the Republican ticket against James C. Budd but was deprived of the governorship by successful fraud in the San Francisco voting precincts and by railroad opposition. He carried the State outside of the Metropolis and the rest of the Republican ticket was elected but the fraudulent work in San Francisco could not be overcome.


Judge Estee had a name in national politics. He was one of the presidential electors when Rutherford B. Hayes was elected President and while a delegate to the National Republican Convention of 1888 had the unusual honor of being elected President thereof. Mr. Estee was a member of the Pan-American Congress of 1890, and left the impress of his ability on the deliberations of that body.

Mr. Estee tried more than once to become a member of the Cabinet but the factional spirit and railway opposition in California and the political inconsequence of the State was usually accountable for his defeat. Yet President McKinley would have undoubtedly made Estee Secretary of the Interior had Hitchcock resigned that post in March of last year. Estee was a candidate for U. S. Senator from California in 1899.


Estee was appointed Federal District Judge of Hawaii by President McKinley on June 4, 1900. He was appointed for six years at an annual salary of $5,000. It is said that he was President McKinley's own special choice for the post and the endorsement of Senator Perkins cinched the decision. He was opposed for this nomination by Judge W. K. Greene, of Alameda county and quite a bitter fight was waged for the appointment by the latter.

Judge Estee thus served but half of his term. He spent exactly three years in Honolulu before taking a vacation on the coast during last August. On that occasion he was banqueted by the Union League club in San Francisco. On his return to Honolulu his health did not seem to have improved.

Judge Estee rendered a great many decisions here that have been of vital interest to the Territory. He has
had to wrestle with difficult problems in the matter of Chinese Exclusion, the insular cases and the cases in which the United States secured land for the works at Pearl Harbor, but it has been universally recognized that his decisions were fair and according to law. He was a good type of that rugged honesty that is wanted upon the American bench. He worked very hard. His law library numbered some four thousand volumes and from six or seven o'clock in the morning until late at night one could find him busily engaged among his books looking up innumerable authorities to back up every decision rendered.

But despite his heavy law work he had time to make a reputation as a speaker. His Memorial Day addresses, speeches at Bar Association banquets, and his Washington's Birthday speeches of the past two years brought out a high philosophy and patriotism. He was an authority on what his duties of a citizen of the Republic should be and in the easy and unconstrained utterance of his speeches, piquant, humorous, scholarly, and forceful, he made a reputation here as an impressive orator.

Judge Estee was a Past Grand Master in the Masonic Order.


Judge Estee was married in 1863 to Miss Frances Devine, a daughter of Judge Devine of San Jose and his family life has always been a pleasant one. His widow is well known in Honolulu social circles. Besides his wife, Judge Estee leaves one daughter, Mrs. Charles J. Deering, whose husband is cashier of the Union Trust Company of San Francisco. Mrs. Deering was in Honolulu visiting her parents two years ago. Judge and Mrs. Estee lost their younger daughter, Mabel, by death, in March, 1900, three months before they came to Hawaii.


Outside of the law and mining Judge Estee had a great deal to do with horticulture. He was at one time
President of the California Horticultural Society. He had an extensive vineyard in Napa and the hospitality
of his home was celebrated. He was once a man of considerable wealth but it was almost all swept away by misfortune. His extensive vineyard was ruined by the phylloxera and to enable him to replant it with resistant vines he had to mortgage the property. Besides his law library, valued at from $3,000 to $5,000 and other personal effects of no great value, Judge Estee leaves life insurance of $10,000, and some property interests in California.

Judge Estee has closed a distinguished career in which he had risen from the boy of the farmyard to become a national figure

[Source: The Hawaiian Gazette – October 30, 1903 – Submitted by Dale Donlon]


There is a tender aloha to the memory of Judge Morris M. Estee in the hearts of our Territorial population, without distinction of party, sect or nationality. Men and women who never saw him nevertheless experience a sense of personal distress. The lone widow, starting this day on her desolate journey, may be strengthened to endure her sufferings by the consciousness, that as the steamer leaves the wharf, it will be accompanied by the magnetic flow of that sympathy which, under the influence of such a death, springs, pure and spontaneous, from the human heart.

The hold that Judge Estee acquired and retained upon our people, native and foreign, is chiefly due to character. He was not demonstrative, he was not impulsive, he was not gushing nor even sentimental. And yet, he was recognized as an American, invincibly honest and impregnated with the spirit of Justice. More than this, he was broad, tolerant, and, though firm in principle, gentle and patient, even to ignorance and prejudice. He was true as steel to his numerous friendships, but, in estimating facts and applying the law, essentially judicial and incapable of importing extrinsic influence into his convictions or of being swayed in his judgements. In the single volume of his Hawaiian decisions that has been
published, the evidences of this truth are conspicuous and convincing. The poor sailor, the unconvicted criminal, stood before him on a common level with corporations and capitalists. Human rights and property interests were ranged before him, exactly according to their relative proportions, and both were safe in his hands

He endeavored at least—and from the numerous affirmations of his decisions apparently with unusual success – to probe every controversy to its roots, without regard to personality, color, or pecuniary results. Mere sophistries, the exaggerated technicalities of lawyers bent on success, he brushed aside, almost with indignation. A Chinaman who possessed the privileges of citizenship he recognized instantly. A china-
man, attempting a fraud upon the Exclusion Act, he deported without hesitation. No such constitutional interpretation as the requirement of an indictment, under the Fifth Amendment to the Federal Constitution, for every petty offence that might be committed, ever occurred to his mind. In one of his early rulings he plainly covered this point, and said. "That, when Hawaii was acquired, it was a free, enlightened state, possessing all the attributes of sovereignty, and when with its consent, the Islands were annexed by the United States, not only the lands, but the people with their laws and customs were annexed; and by the well established law of nations, these laws and customs remained in force until new laws were enacted for the government of the Territory."

In another case he held that confinement in the Oahu Prison did not convert a contempt into an "infamous offence.” He sustained the Territorial Stamp Act. He frequently declined to interfere collaterally with the judgements of the Supreme Court of the Territory. In condemnation proceedings, which were at one time numerous, his charges to juries were perspicuous and definite, and he differed from other Federal Judges, in his constant assertion of the supremacy of juries in matters of fact. In the Mankichi case, on habeas corpus, where the offence was clearly "infamous” within all the definitions, he followed his strict construction of personal rights, by ordering the discharge of the prisoner, because the indictment and the verdict did not
conform to the Federal Constitution. This is one of the very few instances in which his Judgment was reversed – by a bare majority, however, of the Supreme Court of the United States.

The published opinions and charges of Judge Estee will doubtless be more carefully and appropriately reviewed in legal periodicals. The point to be observed here is that they impressed all classes, all but disgruntled individuals, with his rigid impartiality and uprightness. But, independently of his judicial functions, he was an interested citizen on all questions of public improvement and well being, and, even in
the matter of accent and pronunciation of Hawaiian words and phrases, he showed a deep respect for the native element in citizenship without in the least disregarding the broad conditions that necessarily followed annexation. Thus he obtained general esteem and confidence, and it would be difficult to name a man in the Territory, who has so unostentatiously won a fixed place in popular affection.


His career in many respects was remarkable. A Pennsylvanian by birth, he was brought up on his father's farm. In a home where sturdiness, independence and intelligence, on the American model, prevailed. He had fair opportunities for education, of which he availed himself thoroughly, and from his sixteenth to his twentieth years, while prosecuting his own studies, he taught in the common Schools. He arrived in California in 1853, before he had reached his majority, and, having determined to adopt the profession of
the law, amidst many difficulties but with unfailing resolution and application, prepared himself for admission to the bar, which in 1859 was accorded to him by the Supreme Court of his adopted State. After that he practiced law at Sacramento for seven years, with ever increasing success. He was strict in his attention to clients, but there, as here, his sense of civic obligation, kept him in touch with the community. He was elected to the Assembly, and won a high reputation for efficiency and integrity. He also served as District Attorney of Sacramento County for two years, and was noted for his fairness and his thoroughness in prosecutions.

In 1866 he removed to San Francisco where there was a field more commensurate with his ability and his ambition. His several law partnerships there associated him, as head of each firm, with lawyers who have taken high rank, and he appeared in a large number of important cases, politically he was a Republican, and rapidly attracted notice because of his ability as a debater and speaker which, in his case, was associated with executive force. In 1871 he largely contributed to the success of Newto Booth, who defeated and succeeded Henry H. Haight as Governor of California, and two years afterwards, he participated in a revolt against certain Republican elements that resulted in the election of an independent legislature. Judge Estee as a representative of San Francisco, became the Speaker of the Assembly, where he achieved a high reputation for promptness, tact, urbanity and close application to details.


In 1887 he was the choice in the Republican legislative caucus at Sacramento for the Senate of the United States, but he Democratic candidate was successful. He took a leading part in the Constitutional Convention in California in 1878, and was the author of several important parts of the Constitution, then framed and adopted the next year. He served as a freeholder in the preparation of a new charter for San Francisco in 1880. Twice he was the Republican candidate for Governor of California, and was defeated at the polls by narrow majorities. He barely missed two appointments to the Cabinet at Washington, and rarely was there a vacancy in any important Federal position when, in connection with it, his name was not prominently mentioned. It was, however, noted on the Pacific Coast, especially among those who knew him best, that, while his capacity to fill any office to which he might be appointed was unquestionably, if success depended upon his personal efforts on his own behalf, failure was inevitable. His was uncompromising in his adherence to principle, frank and even blunt in his opposition to what he conceived to be wrong, fully persuaded that, in the United States, the office should seek the man and that no man should run after an office, and, for these various reasons, while he became a political factor of far more that ordinary consequence, he was inexpert in what are termed “practical politics” and never utilized his many large opportunities as other men might have done. Now that he has passed away, it may be fairly said that some of the episodes in Judge Estee’s life which were temporarily stigmatized as failures, in the deeper comprehension and appreciation that follow the departure of a strong personality, were among his greatest sussesses and will enter into that lasting reputation and influence that survive the grave.

Judge Estee opposed attacks upon the public welfare, at all times, without counting the cost. Of several examples of this sort, one may be appropriately mentioned, in which also furnishes an evidence of his moderation. The Funding bill, proposed in Congress, at the instance of C. P. Huntington, and backed by the brains, influence and money of that extraordinary man and his associates, was bitterly opposed by an overwhelming majority of the people of California. Judge Estee, Henry E. Highton and the octogenarian and eminent lawyer, John T. Doyle, were appointed a committee to prepare a memorial to Congress against the measure, and each of those gentlemen drafted a memorial, which expressed his own views. There were some divergencies between the three papers, and, at Judge Estee's suggestion, Mr. Highton became a committee of one to mould them into consecutiveness and harmony. The work was done and the bill was defeated—one of the unfrequent instances of failure by Mr. Huntington in the legislative department of his work.


In 1888 Judge Estee was accorded the distinguished honor of presiding over the National Republican Convention, and the skill, courtesy, rapidity and precision, with which he performed the duties of that trying position, attracted the admiration of the country. As a presiding officer over any body, state,
municipal, political, or fraternal, he has been rarely, if ever, excelled by any of his contemporaries. Always unpretentious, never dogmatic, homely and lucid in his language, free from temper or partisan intensity, and yet firm in his opinions, when they were once formed, and strong in their expression, and also possessed of a pungent humor that in no way weakened his arguments, as a speaker and a debater, he
was invariably interesting and attractive, and a dangerous antagonist to the opposite side of any question. His discussion of the tariff with the late Senator Stephen M. White, in all important places in the State of California, is firmly impressed upon political history, and, on both sides, became memorable.

Judge Estee was also a Mason and an Odd Fellow of high distinction, and had filled many of the most important offices in each order. The services of this morning, like the court proceedings of yesterday, will attest the esteem in which his name is held, not only in fraternities, but in the profession to which he was so long attached and in the Judicial station he subsequently adorned.

His marriage in 1863 to Miss Frances Divine was followed by forty years of unbroken domestic happiness. In all his labors and struggles, his wife stood unfalteringly by his side and, now shares in the general sympathy his death has evoked.
Judge Estee filled the measure of a righteous citizen, a true husband, a sincere friend, an honest legislator, a tender brother, an able and honest lawyer, a conscientious statesman, a just and incorruptible judge. He has gone to his earned rest, amidst the sincere regret and the touching emotions of his fellow men, and the Hawaiian heart will swell and gentle tears will fall from Hawaiian eyes, as his remains are committed to the peaceful ocean for final interment in his cherished home. "Nil nisi bonum" has been the invocation for the dead in many ages. In this instance of arrested mortality "nil nisi verum" is the only essential attribute of eulogy.

[Source: The Hawaiian Gazette – October 30, 1903 – Submitted by Dale Donlon]

J. C. Hooker
Hawaiian Consul in Italy
ROME, Dec. 31 – Mr. J. C. Hooker, consul-general from Hawaii to Italy, died today, aged 50 years. Hooker was an American, and was well known in the American colony.
[Source: The Morning Oregonian (Portland, OR) – Tuesday, January 1, 1895; submitted by Jim Dezotell]

Kalanianaole, Jonah K.
Delegate to Congress in Hawaii Dies in Honolulu
Honolulu. Jan. 7. — Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole, delegate to Congress from the Territory of Hawaii and a member of the royal family under the Hawaiian monarchy, died this morning.
[August 1, 1922, Dallas Morning News - Submitted by Barb Z]

King David Kalakaua

Princess Kaiulani of Hawaii Obituary

Queen Kaploianai Obituary (Hawaii)

Queen Liliuokalani

Pinkham, Lucius E.
Ex-Governor Pinkham Passes At Letterman Hospital On Coast

Lucius E. Pinkham, former governor of the Territory of Hawaii, died in San Francisco yesterday morning. News of his demise came to Maui News shortly after noon in Associated Press dispatches from Honolulu. Information of the serious illness of former Governor Pinkham came on Wednesday in Associated Press dispatches from San Francisco which said that he had been admitted into Letterman hospital on orders coming direct from President Harding and that his personal friends and physicians said there was little hope of recovery. His health had been failing steadily for four years and he had been confined to bed for almost a year. He had gone to San Francisco September 23. Early dispatches from San Francisco yesterday morning said that Pinkham’s condition was unchanged and later a private message to Waterhouse Trust Company told of his death. Governor Farrington ordered the flags in the Territorial buildings at half mast and the afternoon session of the Pan-Pacific conference was called off. While Governor of Hawaii Pinkham was in poor health and a constant sufferer. Lucius Eugene Pinkham was born at Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts, on September 19, 1850. He prepared for Yale but suffered an accident just as he was about to enter which debarred him from all except private study for four years. In 1873 he entered the grain business and later the coal industry. He came to Hawaii in 1891 and remained for three years. He returned in 1898 and was engaged in mercantile enterprises until 1903. In 1904 he was made president of the board of health and served two terms. From 1909 to 1913 he was mostly in the Orient and was a labor commissioner for the HSPA in the Philippines for a large part of the time. In December 1913 he was made Governor of Hawaii by President Wilson and served until he was succeeded by Charles J. McCarthy. [Source: Semi-Weekly Maui News, November 3, 1922, Page 1, transcribed by Andrew Staton]

Pogue, Edmund S.
At Spreckville, Maru, Territory of Hawaii, November 1, 1903, Edmund S. Pogue, oldest nephew of J. K. and E. E. Pogue of Santa Clara, aged 22 years. [Source: Evening News (San Jose, CA) Friday, 6 Nov. 1903; transcribed by FoFG mz]

Quinn, William F.
WILLIAM F. QUINN, the son of a shoe leather salesman who was Hawaii's last territorial governor, and its first elected governor, died Monday night. He was 87.

Quinn was a constant force in the state Republican Party and one of the architects of modern Hawaii. At 38, he was Hawaii's youngest governor.

"Dad was one of the most well-loved politicians in Hawaii," recalled his son Gregory Quinn yesterday.

Until just two months ago, Quinn was a regular for lunch at the Pacific Club in downtown Honolulu. He broke his hip recently in a fall and his health declined, his son said. Quinn died of natural causes at the Kahala Nui assisted-living center, Gregory Quinn said.

While Quinn was a pivotal figure in modern Hawaiian history, his son recalls a father who was a strong role model. "He was the ultimate breadwinner and sacrificed everything for the welfare of his children. He put seven kids through private school and college and all the while building up our ideals -- maintaining high ideals," Gregory Quinn said.

John Henry Felix, who served as Quinn's chief of staff during his first term as governor, called Quinn "incisive and a man of tremendous integrity."

"He was a very inspirational leader and was faced with the monumental task of taking more than 100 departments and reducing them to 18 when Hawaii became a state," Felix recalled.

"The most important thing was the transformation of Hawaii from territorial status to statehood and he did it with great skill," Felix said yesterday.

Longtime friend Robert Fujimoto said, "I think for him, the hardest part was the formation of the state government, the constitution, the actual setting-up of a new government."

"He wanted to know everything about the government," Fujimoto, president of HPM Building, said in a 1995 interview. "He was really concerned that as the first governor he wanted the transition from territory to state to be a stabilizing factor."

Born July 13, 1919, in Rochester, N.Y., Quinn was a World War II veteran who graduated from Harvard Law School in 1947. He and his wife, Nancy, came to Honolulu after he was offered a job with Garner Anthony's law firm.

Quinn was also a talented singer who loved the theater. When he started college, he was torn between studying law and trying out for Broadway productions. An adviser suggested he study law and keep acting and singing as a vocation. When he became active in politics, he was able to combine both.

He was an enthusiastic campaigner, first active in local precinct elections.

Quinn would walk his precinct, which just after the war stretched from Kahala to Waimanalo. Aided by his ability to sing Hawaiian songs, he was a popular draw for the Republican ticket.

"When he came to Hawaii, he fell in love with Hawaiian songs," Fujimoto said. "He is the one who really made 'Ke Kali Nei Au,' the Hawaiian wedding song, popular."

Republican leaders found him a popular speaker after a notable Lincoln Day speech Quinn gave in 1949, in which he warned the GOP not to become complacent.

"The possibility that the Republican Party might become the minority party must never be discounted," he said.

As it turned out, Quinn was Hawaii's last Republican governor until Gov. Linda Lingle was elected in 2002.

Lingle lauded Quinn as an "elder statesman who many looked to for guidance and mentorship."

"I extend my deepest sympathies to Governor Quinn's family and friends during this time of sorrow and remembrance," Lingle said yesterday in a written statement.

"Governor Quinn played a pivotal role in our transition from a territory to America's 50th state," she said.

Quinn's first attempt at elected politics ended in failure as he lost a 1956 territorial senate race, but he was appointed to the statehood commission. In 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower named the 38-year-old Quinn as governor of the Territory of Hawaii.

After Hawaii became a state in 1959, Quinn ran for governor and beat congressional delegate John A. Burns by 4,000 votes.

Viewed by today's events, Quinn's governorship was remarkably visionary, as he urged land-use planning, called for a planning commission and decried the overbuilding of Waikiki.

"You could see what was going to happen in Waikiki, and I wanted desperately to try to control that," he said in 1991.

In August 1959, he addressed the first state legislative session in Hawaii, telling the assembled legislators that statehood would be "the most brilliant chapter in the story of Hawaii."

Two years later, Quinn lost to Democrat John Burns. Quinn's campaign was damaged when his lieutenant governor, James Kealoha, turned against him and opposed him in the primary.

Fujimoto, who helped the campaign, said Quinn's own open nature hurt him in politics.

"He ran too much of a straightforward office, and maybe he didn't tell people what he was trying to do," he said. "His decisions were purely on the basis of what was good for the people. Most of the people around him were nonpolitical."

Quinn returned to his private law practice. In 1964 he joined Dole Co. and was named president the following year.

In April 1972, he returned to practicing law. His last major political outing was his 1976 run for the U.S. Senate. He lost and retired.

Quinn remained a vital community member, serving as chairman of the board of the Honolulu Symphony and as chairman of the East-West Center board of directors. He also served on a number of city and state commissions.

Quinn is survived his wife, Nancy; two daughters, Cecily Quinn Affleck and Mary Kaiulani Quinn; five sons, William Jr., Timothy, Christopher, Gregory and Stephen; eight grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Star of the Sea Church. The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Star of the Sea Church. [Source: Honolulu Star-Bulletin Vol. 11, Issue 242 - Wednesday, August 30, 2006; submitted by Barb Z.]

Pogue, Edmund S.
At Spreckville, Maru, Territory of Hawaii, November 1, 1903, Edmund S. Pogue, oldest nephew of J. K. and E. E. Pogue of Santa Clara, aged 22 years. [Source: Evening News (San Jose, CA) Friday, 6 Nov. 1903; transcribed by FoFG mz

Wilder, Stuart G.
Hawaii Governor's Aide Dies

WASHINGTON, Nov. 10 (AP).-Major Stuart G. Wilder, 41, aide to Governor Judd of Hawaii and rated as one of the most brilliant of the younger army officers, died early Tuesday at Walter Reed Hospital after an operation.

[11 November 1931 Dallas Morning News - Submitted by Barb Z]

Wylie, John Hosea --A.M.; M.D., University of Louisville.1845. Died March 10, 1855; at Likna Plantation, Hawaii
[Source: "Indiana University Bulletin" By Indiana University, Published by The University, 1904]

Death Notices


The year 1857, is notable for the deaths which occurred among those who were prominent in Hawaiian affairs.

May 28th, 1857, died William L. Lee, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and Chancellor of the Kingdom, aged 36. He arrived here on the 12th of October, 1846, being then en route for Oregon, but in the then chaotic state of jurisprudence at these islands, he was induced to remain here, and shortly after was appointed to a high judicial position. On the retirement of Mr. Richards from the presidency of the Land Commission, he was appointed to that office, which he continued to hold, until it expired by limitation. Judge Lee was highly esteemed by all, and his death was generally lamented as a national loss. On the 7th of June, 1857, Elisha H. Allen was appointed as his successor.

July 2, 1857, died Konia, the mother of the Hon. Mrs. Bishop, a chiefess of high rank.

July 17, Stephen Reynolds, who had for many years, been an esteemed and successful merchant in Honolulu, died at West Boxford, Mass., at an advanced age.

July 18, John Young, (son of the first John Young,) who had held important offices under this government,—Kuhina Nui or Premier, Minister of the Interior, and Privy Councillor,—died at Honolulu, aged 47 years.

August 22, near London, Eng., Admiral Thomas, the restorer of the Hawaiian flag in 1843, died at the ripe age of 81 years.

David Malo, the native historian, the assistant, friend and companion of the earlier missionaries, also died in 1857. 

[Source: Honolulu Directory, & Historical Sketch of the Hawaiian Or Sandwich Islands. By C. C. Bennett.; Honolulu: Printed By C. C. Bennett, Publisher, Stationer And News Agent, No. 44 Fort Street. 1869. Submitted by Veneta McKinney]


Visit Genealogy Trails

© Genealogy Trails