bluegenie




idaho_2small.gif

divide_1.gif

Biographies
"C"

divide_1.gif

MARY A. CALLAWAY, M.D.
It has been given Dr. Callaway to achieve distinctive prestige as one of then representative members of the medical profession in the state which has been her home during the major part of her life, and in which she is a member of a most honored pioneer family. She is engaged in the successful practice of medicine and surgery in the city of Boise, capital of the state, and her precedence and popularity attest to her professional ability and to the high standing which is hers in the confidence and esteem of the community.

Dr. Callaway claims the Lone Star state as the place of her nativity, as she was born at Decatur, the judicial center of Wise County, Texas, on the 29th of December, 1878. The doctor is a daughter of Dr. Thomas Henry Callaway and Mary A. (Allen) Callaway, both of whom were born in Missouri and the marriage of whom was solemnized in Texas. Dr. Thomas H. Callaway was born in Boone County, Missouri, and was a son of a distinguished old family of Virginia, representatives of the same having been allied by marriage with the patrician Lee and Early families whose names have been most prominent in connection with the history of the Old Dominion commonwealth. Both paternal and maternal ancestors of Dr. Thomas H. Callaway were found enrolled as patriot soldiers in the War of the Revolution, his paternal grandfather having served with the rank of captain and his maternal grandfather, John Markham, having been colonel of one of the gallant Virginia regiments in the Continental line; his wife was an aunt of General Jubal Early, one of the most distinguished officers of the Confederacy in the War of the Revolution. The father of Dr. Thomas H. Callaway was born at Lynchburg, Virginia, and in that state he was reared and educated. There also was celebrated his marriage to Miss Catharine Markham, and in 1820 he removed with his family to Missouri, where he became a representative and influential pioneer and where he and his wife passed the residue of their lives.

Dr. Thomas H. Callaway came to Idaho in the pioneer days and had his full quota of experiences in connection with the initial stages of development and progress. He admirably equipped himself for the medical profession and finally returned to the south, where he was engaged in successful practice for a number of years. After his retirement from active professional work he returned to Boise, Idaho, where he passed the residue of his life, secure in the high regard of all who knew him. He was summoned to the life eternal in 1905, at the venerable age of eighty years, and his cherished and devoted wife died at Caldwell, this state, in 1893, at the age of fifty-seven years. They became the parents of live children, concerning whom the following brief data are given: Dr. James R. is a leading physician and surgeon at Paul’s Valley, Oklahoma; William T. is a representative agriculturist and stock-grower in the vicinity of Caldwell. Canyon county, Idaho; Ida E. is the wife of F. A. Braun of Boise; Malinda C. is the wife of J. A. Dement, of Caldwell, this state; and Dr. Mary A. is the youngest of the number. In politics the father was a staunch Democrat, and both lie and his wife were consistent members of the Christian Church.

As already stated. Dr. Mary Allen Callaway was born in the state of Texas, and she was about five years of age at the time of the family removal to Caldwell, Idaho, where she gained her preliminary educational discipline in the public schools. She was graduated in the College of Idaho, at Caldwell, Idaho, as a member of the class of 1897, and her professional education was secured under most favorable conditions, in the medical department of the Texas Christian University, at Fort Worth, Texas. In this excellent institution she was graduated cum laude as a member of the class and from the same she received her well-earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. In April of the same year, upon examination before the state board of medical examiners, she was admitted to practice in Idaho, and she forthwith opened an office in Boise, where she has since continued successively in the work of her chosen profession, her extensive and representative practice giving tangible evidence of her fine technical ability as a physician and surgeon and also of her personal popularity. She is recognized as one of the leading physicians in the state and has the confidence and esteem of the members of the profession in general. She is identified with the Ada County Medical Society, the Idaho State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. The doctor finds time to enjoy social amenities and is a popular factor in the various social activities of her home city. She holds membership in the Christian church, and is affiliated with the Women of Woodcraft, the Order of Yeomen, of which she is secretary, and the Rebekah Lodge.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

CHARLES C. CAVANAH
A resident of Idaho since the year 1892, Mr. Cavanah has risen to a position of prominence and success as one of the representative members of the bar of the state and is a son of one of the sterling pioneers of this favored commonwealth. He is engaged in the practice of his profession in Boise, as head of the well-known and important law firm of Cavanah, Blake & McLane, and his priority in his chosen calling is based alike on his sterling attributes of character and his recognized ability in his profession.

Mr. Cavanah was born at Greensboro, Guildford County, North Carolina, on the 26th of September, 1S71, and is a son of Frank P. and Larue (Cheatam) Cavanah, the former of whom was born in the Dominion of Canada and the latter in North Carolina, a representative of a prominent old family of that historic commonwealth. The mother of Mr. Cavanah died in 1872, about one year after his birth, and he was reared principally in the homes of kinsfolk, in North Carolina and Texas. His father removed from Canada to the state of New York when a young man and later established his home at Greensboro, North Carolina, where his marriage was solemnized to Miss Ruth Cheatam. In 1871 he crossed the plains and numbered himself among the pioneers of Idaho, which then included the present state of Montana and the major part of Wyoming. He became one of the prominent mine-owners and civil engineers of the territory, where he owned and developed the Rocky Bar mine and surveyed and platted the present thriving little city of Hailey, the judicial center of Blaine county. He continued his residence in Idaho until his death, in August, 1897, and his remains rest in the A. F. A. M. cemetery, in Boise. He contributed his quota to the industrial and civic development of this state and was one of its well-known and honored pioneers.

The early educational advantages of Charles C. Cavanah were limited to a somewhat desultory attendance in the common schools of North Carolina and Texas, and this handicap he has effectually overcome through self-discipline and through the agency of opportunities of his own creating. He eminently merits the title of self-made man, in the best sense of the expression, and his ambition has been on a parity with his inflexible integrity of purpose. As a youth he was employed as clerk in mercantile establishments in Texas, and he continued to reside in the Lone Star state until 1892, when, shortly after attaining to his legal majority he came to Boise, Idaho, where he soon afterward obtained the position of crier in the supreme court of the new state. He retained this office three years, and his experience prompted him to a desire to enter the legal profession. He accordingly began reading law while still serving as court crier and he was signally favored in having as his preceptors’ ex-Senator Borah and Judge Houston, two of the most distinguished members of the Idaho bar. He boarded in the home of Judge Houston until the time of his marriage, and feels a debt of perpetual gratitude to the judge for consideration, advice and careful instruction, along both academic and legal lines.

Mr. Cavanah was admitted to the bar of Idaho, before the Supreme Court, in December, 1895, and has since been engaged in the successful practice of his profession in Boise, where he is now senior member of the law firm of Cavanah, Blake & McLane, which controls a substantial and representative practice in the various courts of the state. Mr. Cavanah initiated his professional career in the office of Senator Borah, with whom he was most pleasantly associated for one and one-half years, at the expiration of which, in 1897, he was elected city attorney, on what was known as the Citizens' Improvement ticket, and later he was re-elected to the office on the Republican ticket. After the office was made one in the appointive jurisdiction of the mayor of the city Mr. Cavanah was again called to become its incumbent, and thus he has had occasion to render large and valuable service in the legal department of the municipal government of the capital city.

In 1906 Mr. Cavanah was elected to represent Ada county in the lower house of the state legislature, and in the general assembly of that year it was his pleasure and privilege to nominate in the house his valued friend and former preceptor, Hon. W. E. Borah, for representative of Idaho in the United States senate, to which the latter was duly elected and in which he is now serving. During his association with Senator Borah in the practice of law the firm was known as Borah, Cavanah & Blake, and the senator retired at the expiration of one year, and Mr. Cavanah then formed his present partnership alliance, which has proved agreeable and profitable to each of the interested principals.

Mr. Cavanah is known as a resourceful advocate before court or jury and as a counselor who gives careful attention to the causes of his clients, even as he makes scrupulous preparation of cases which he presents in court. He has gained a wide circle of friends in Idaho, is essentially unassuming and democratic in his attitude, and aside from his professional work finds his interests centered in his home, the associations of which are of ideal order. He has given effective service in behalf of the cause of the Republican Party and is known as an able campaign speaker. He was a delegate to the Republican national convention of 1908. Mr. Cavanah is affiliated with Boise Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and he and his wife are members of the First Methodist Episcopal church in their home city.

On the 19th of March, 1902, Mr. Cavanah was united in marriage to Miss Mildred Benzel of La Crosse, Wisconsin, and one child, Mildred Ruth, has been born of this union. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Cavanah is situated at 107 East Idaho Street.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

CHARLES LATTA CHALFANT
Charles Latta Chalfant; is a representative of one of the oldest and most distinguished among the early families of the nation, and members of the family have been leaders in many fields of activity from colonial days down to the present time. Pennsylvania in particular is well acquainted with this fine old name, and it is of record there that the first of the name to settle in America came from England with William Penn, and remained to have a part in the development of the Keystone state after its founder had returned to England. The burial place of that well known character in American history is at Chalfant, St. Giles, England.

Born at Martin's Ferry, Ohio, on September 28, 1867, Charles Latta Chalfant is the son of Rev. George W. and Sarah Elizabeth (Moore) Chalfant. The father was a Presbyterian minister, with the degree of D. D., and served as chaplain of the One Hundred and Thirtieth Pennsylvania Volunteers during the Civil war. The common schools of Martin's Ferry supplied the early education of the subject, and he later attended the Pittsburgh high school and Shadyside Academy, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he had been sent to pursue his academic studies. Hg later spent two years in the University of Wooster, in Ohio, and was graduated from Lafayette College in 1889 with the degree of A. B. His A. M. degree came to him from the same institution in 1895. In 1892 he was graduated from the Western Theological Seminary, at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and on May 3, of the same year, was ordained by the Presbytery of Pittsburgh.

The first church in which Rev. Chalfant served as pastor was the Madison Avenue Presbyterian church of Cleveland, Ohio, where he was pastor from 1892 to 1896. He was then called to the First Presbyterian church of Ashtabula, Ohio, where he served from 1896 until 1902. He was thereafter for six years pastor of Grace church, in St. Louis, Missouri and on March 13, 1908, he entered upon the pastorate of the First Presbyterian church of Boise, Idaho.

During the years in which he has been active as a minister of the gospel, the work of Rev. Chalfant has been carried on along broad and comprehensive lines, and has assumed an aspect of humanitarianism that is most praiseworthy. He assisted in the organization of the Idaho Children's Homefinding and Aid Society in May, 1908, and was one of its charter members, an association that has done much for the care of homeless children. He has been first vice-president and chairman of the executive committee of this society almost throughout its entire existence thus far. He has served as a director and member of the Boise Associated Charities from the date of its organization to the present time, and is vice-president of the Social Service Conference of the Pacific Northwest. In all these offices his work has been of the highest character, free from sectarianism and calculated at all times to perform the most practical and far-reaching service that might be possible.

Rev. Chalfant is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America, and still retains his membership in his college fraternity, the Phi Delta Theta. He has served as chaplain and in other offices in all three of these societies. In the line of his church work, Rev. Chalfant has served as president of the Boise Ministerial Association, as moderator of the Boise Presbytery in 1908, as moderator of the first meeting of the Synod of Idaho in 1909, as Idaho delegate to the Presbyterian Advisory Council in 1912, and as commissioner to the General Assembly from the Cleveland Presbytery in 1908, and from the St. Louis Presbytery in 1907.

He is recognized as one of the leaders in the activities of his church, and the clergy of the church see in him one of the ablest younger members of the Presbytery, who has already done good work for the advancement of the church, and who is destined to do even greater work in its cause.

On July 7, 1892, Mr. Chalfant was married at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to Miss Blanche, the daughter of Nathaniel Mulholland and his wife, Rachel (McCormick) Mulholland. Four children have been born to Rev. and Mrs. Chalfant, named as follows: George Preston Chalfant; Charles Roemer Chalfant, who died in infancy; Frank Elgin Chalfant and Helen Moore Chalfant.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

HELEN P. CHENOWETH-HAGE
CHENOWETH-HAGE, Helen P., a Representative from Idaho; born in Topeka, Kans., January 27, 1938; graduated Grants Pass High School, Grants Pass, Oreg.; attended Whitworth College, Spokane, Wash.; self-employed medical and legal management consultant, 1964-1975; manager, Northside Medical Center, Orofino, Idaho; state executive director of the Idaho Republican party, 1975-1977; chief of staff, then campaign manager, to Representative Steven D. Symms; co-owner, Consulting Associates, Inc; guest lecturer, University of Idaho School of Law; elected as a Republican to the One Hundred Fourth and to the two succeeding Congresses (January 3, 1995-January 3, 2001); was not a candidate for re-election to the One Hundred Seventh Congress; died on October 2, 2006, in Tonopah, Nev.
Source:  Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present.
Contributed by A. Newell

FRANK F. CHURCH
Senate Years of Service: 1957-1981
Party: Democrat
CHURCH, Frank Forrester, a Senator from Idaho; born in Boise, Ada County, Idaho, July 25, 1924; attended the public schools; graduated from Stanford (Calif.) University in 1947 and from Stanford Law School in 1950; during the Second World War served in the United States Army and was assigned to Military Intelligence in India, Burma, and China 1942-1946; admitted to the bar in 1950 and commenced the practice of law in Boise, Idaho; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1956; re-elected in 1962, 1968, and again in 1974 and served from January 3, 1957, to January 3, 1981; unsuccessful candidate for re-election in 1980; chairman, Special Committee on Aging (Ninety-second through Ninety-fifth Congresses), Special Committee on Termination of the National Emergency (Ninety-second through Ninety-fourth Congresses), Select Committee on Government Intelligence Activities (Ninety-fourth Congress), Committee on Foreign Relations (Ninety-sixth Congress); United States delegate to the twenty-first General Assembly of the United Nations; resumed the practice of law; was a resident of Bethesda, Md., until his death there on April 7, 1984; interment in Morris Hill Cemetery, Boise, Idaho.
Source:  Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present.
Contributed by A. Newell

FRANK R. COFFIN
The president of the Boise City National Bank is an Idaho pioneer, one of the oldest residents of the city of Boise, and through his business enterprise has done as much to build up and promote the substantial welfare of this city as any other resident during the past half century. Mr. Coffin was for many years a leading merchant and during his successful career acquired large interests in real estate. It was his policy to improve this property, and he has never depended upon the activities or enterprise of others to give his land value. He has been a user of all the property which good management and ability have placed in his charge, and it is frequently said of Mr. Coffin that .he has erected more buildings in the city of Boise than any other owner of local real estate.

Frank R. Coffin was born in Parke county, Indiana, August 4, 1842. His father, Thomas Coffin was of North Carolina birth resided in Ohio during his youth, but spent many years of his active life in Parke county, Indiana, and also in California, where he was engaged in the foundry business for some years. He was a veteran of the Civil war, and outlived his experience as a soldier only a few years. His life came to an honorable close in 1866 in Fort county, Nebraska. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Harvey, who was born in Indiana and at the time of her marriage was a resident of Richmond, Indiana. There were eight children in the family of Thomas and Mary Coffin, Frank R. being the third.

Richmond, Indiana, where he spent a number of years of his youth, was a center for the Quaker settlement in that state and it was in the school conducted under the auspices of the Society of Friends that Frank R. Coffin attained his early education. He remained in school until his seventeenth year and then obtained his first vocational experience as an engineer apprentice on a steamer called the Alvan Adam which plowed along the Ohio river between Louisville and Cincinnati. After two years of this work he went out west, and the west has ever since been his home, and center of activities.

In 1861 he left Omaha, Nebraska, on the overland route to California. On reaching that state he settled at the largest city in the northern half of the state, Yreka, where he began work at the trade of tinsmith. This trade he had learned in connection with his father's manufacturing plant. After a brief time at the tinsmith trade he traveled overland to Portland, Oregon and from there to Florence, Washington, where he was engaged in placer mining. This occupation did not satisfy him long and he then returned to Portland where he resumed work in the tinsmith and sheet iron business. Three years later Mr. Coffin, in 1866, came to Idaho and located at Boise. This was the beginning of a residence which has continued for nearly half a century, and during this time he has made a remarkable success as a business man and as one of the real upbuilders of this city. He came here a poor man, and for the first six years was in the employ of others. In 1873 he bought from his employer, George Twitchell. the hardware and tin business, and from that time until 1904, a period of more than thirty years, conducted and extended this enterprise until it ranks among the largest and certainly one of the most prosperous in the state of Idaho.

On retiring from the mercantile business, Mr. Coffin became actively identified with the Boise City National Bank. He sold his hardware business to the Carolson Lusk Company, which at the present time is the largest firm of its kind in this state. The Boise City National Bank had been founded in 1885, and in 1905 Mr. Coffin was elected its president. He is still the chief executive officer and his private resources and business ability have much to do with the striking success of this financial enterprise. Mr. Coffin is also president of the Boise Clearing House Association, and is treasurer of the Artesian Hot & Cold Water Company of this city.

Mr. Coffin has the distinction of having served as the first state treasurer of Idaho, and only his extensive business responsibilities have stood in the way of a further participation in public affairs. He has long been considered one of the most influential members of the Republican party. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic order, being past master of Boise Lodge No. 20, and having the various degrees, including the Knights Templar. He is also a member of the Commercial Club of Boise, and is a member of the Society of Friends.

Mr. Coffin in 1873 married Miss Irene Quivey, who was born in Wisconsin and was a daughter of Leander Quivey, who subsequently became a resident of Portland, Oregon. Mr. and Mrs. Coffin are the parents of three daughters and one son. The oldest, Irene, is the wife of B. W. Walker, and a resident of Boise. The second, Henrietta is the wife of Captain Holbrook, a United States army officer, and they have also spent two years in the artistic circles of Paris, France. The third daughter, Elma, is the wife of James Clinton, vice president of the Boise City National Bank. The son, Craig Coffin, is assistant cashier of the Boise City National Bank, and he married Miss Zella Tucker. Mr. Coffin and family have a handsome residence at 1019 Grove avenue.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

WILLIAM B. CONNER
Identified with the business interests and civic activities of Idaho's capital city for a quarter of a century, Mr. Conner is one of the honored and substantial men of the state of his adoption, and is especially entitled to recognition in this work. He was born at Boyertown. Berks county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Willoughby and Amanda (Brower) Conner, both of whom were likewise born and reared in the fine old Keystone state. The father was prominently identified with the iron industry in his native state, where he held the office of superintendent of the business of the Gable Iron & Steel Company, at Pottstown, where his venerable widow still resides. He was a valiant soldier in a Pennsylvania regiment in the Civil war and performed well his part in the great conflict through which the integrity of the nation was perpetuated, his death having resulted from wounds he received while in the Union service. Of their twelve children, eight are living.

In the city of Chicago William B. Conner entered the employ of the firm of Marshall Field & Company, the greatest mercantile concern in the United States. In the retail establishment of this great house, Mr. Conner was manager of the dress goods department for eight years, and in 1888, having determined to seek a location where he could find opportunity for eventual independent business activities, he came to Boise, Idaho, where he became an interested principal in the mercantile firm of Hollister, Bishoprick & Company. After continuing his partnership alliance with this concern for seven years he established an independent enterprise by opening a finely equipped store for the handling of men's furnishing goods, the only exclusive men's furnishing store on Bannock street. This venture, under his able and progressive management, was successful from its inception and he now controls a large, substantial and representative trade, giving him place among the leading merchants of the capital city.

In 1889 was recorded the marriage of Mr. Conner to Miss Elizabeth Lemp, the oldest daughter of the late John Lemp, to whom a memoir is dedicated on other pages of this work, and they have their pleasant home on State street, a property owned by Mr. Conner.
Source: HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914
Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack


W. J. COUGHLIN
As president of the Standard Furniture Company, of Boise, Idaho, W. J. Coughlin is one of the foremost business men in this city, and represents one of the most flourishing establishments of its kind in Boise. It is only since 1903 that Mr. Coughlin has been engaged in business on his own responsibility, but that time has sufficed to place him in the front ranks of the business men of this community, and his success in his chosen line has become an assured thing.

Born in New York state, in November, 1878. W. J. Coughlin is the son of W. M. and Mary (Kehoe) Coughlin, both natives of the old Empire state, where the father was engaged in farming during his brief life. He died at his home in the year 1888, when he was but forty years of age. His widow still survives him, and at the age of fifty six years makes her home in Boise. They were the parents of four children: W. J., the subject; C. T., who is in business with his brother, and is a member of the firm; Anna, a resident of Boise, where she makes her home with her mother, and Mrs. P. C. . Ray, also a resident of Boise.

Mr. Coughlin was educated in the schools of his native state, and following his graduation from the high school he went to Colorado, and there he was employed by the Booth Furniture Company for several years. His training there was of a most efficient order, and when he left that concern he went to Boise and in 1903 started up in business on his own responsibility. His initial attempt was on a modest scale, but he exercised the best of business skill and judgment in his operations, and as the years passed he was able to expand the business until it has now a scope unequalled by any similar concern. The establishment is one of the most complete to be found in the west, and occupies a floor space of 200x125 feet. When Mr. Coughlin started in business, he was able to successfully handle the operations of the concern with the help of his brother, C. T., but today he employs a force of twelve men. In 1906 the firm was incorporated under the name of the Standard Furniture Company, Mr. Coughlin becoming president and his brother, C. T., vice-president, secretary and manager.

Mr. Coughlin is fraternally identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Columbus. He is independent in his political faith, and is a member of the Roman Catholic church, the faith of his parents. On July 7, 1910, Mr. Coughlin was married to Miss Florence Murphy, of Butte, Montana, and they have one child, Florence, born June 6, 1911, at Boise.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

BENJAMIN S. CROW
A native son of the west and thoroughly an rapport with its progressive spirit. Mr. Crow has been a member of the bar of Idaho since 1903 and is now one of its representative figure; in Boise, the capital city of the state, where he is junior member of the prominent and influential law firm of Perky & Crow, in which his coadjutor is Judge Kusstland I. Perky, now United States senator. He served with marked ability as county attorney of Nez Perces County and as assistant attorney general of the state, and he represented Ada County in the lower house of the state legislature in 1911-12. Mr. Crow has been an influential factor in the councils and work of the Republican Party in Idaho, and thus there are many points in his career that render most consonant his specific recognition in this publication.

Benjamin Stewart Crow was born near Stockton, San Joaquin County, California, on the 14th of February 1877, and is a son of Clinton Pike Crow and Margaret (Stewart) Crow, the former of whom was born in Pike county, Missouri, and the latter in the state of Kentucky, where the Crow family was also founded in an early day. Clinton P. Crow was reared and educated in his native state and thence, in company with his brothers, crossed the plains to California at the time of the ever memorable gold excitement of 1849. A greater measure of success attended his efforts than .came to the average gold seeker and he found conditions so much to his liking that he has ever since maintained his home in California. He settled at a point now known as Crow's Landing, in Stanislaus County, and eventually became one of the most prominent and successful stock growers of California. Broad-minded and progressive, he contributed his quota to the civic and industrial development and progress of the state, and he is now one of its venerable and honored pioneer citizens,—one of the few survivors of the gallant old "advance guard" of 1849. He has been influential in public affairs and his life has been guided by the highest principles of integrity and honor, so that he retains impregnable vantage ground in the confidence and esteem of the people of the state which has long been his home and the scene of his productive activities. Now more than eighty years of age, he is living retired in the city of San Jose, California, where he is enjoying the gracious rewards of former years of earnest endeavor and where he and his wife are surrounded by hosts of loyal friends. Mrs. Crow, who is seventy-eight years of age at the time of this writing, in 1912, is a daughter of Gen. David Stewart, of Kentucky and Missouri. Of the children of Clinton P. and Margaret (Stewart) Crow two sons and five daughters are living.

Benjamin S. Crow gained his early educational discipline in the public schools of San Jose, California, and after completing the curriculum of the high school he entered Leland Stanford University, at Palo Alto, that state, in which splendid institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1901 and from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. While in the university he pursued special studies in the law department, and later he continued his reading of law under the able preceptorship of William A. Bcasley, a leading member of the bar of San Jose. In the autumn of 1902 he was admitted to practice, upon examination before the supreme court of his native state, and in December of the same year he came to Idaho and promptly gained admission to its bar. He established his residence at Lewiston, the judicial center of Nez Perces county, and there engaged in the practice of his profession, to which he gave his attention in a generic way until the autumn of 1904, when he was elected county attorney. He continued the incumbent of this office until 1907, and his able administration as public prosecutor added materially to his professional reputation. At this time he was looked upon as one of the most resourceful and well fortified members of the Bar of Nez Perces County, and he resigned his position as county attorney to accept that of assistant attorney general of the state, a preferment tendered him by John J. Guheen at that time attorney general. He served in this capacity, with characteristic fidelity and ability, until the close of the year 1908, and in January, 1909.

He removed to Boise and resumed the private work of his profession, to which he has since given close attention and in which his success has been of unequivocal order. The firm of Perky & Crow, of which he is junior member, is one of the most prominent and successful in the state, with a clientage of important and representative order. Mr. Crow is a valued and popular member of the Idaho State Bar Association, of which he has served as secretary since 1909.

An effective and influential worker in the ranks of the Republican party in Idaho, Mr. Crow's ability and civic loyalty, as well as his personal popularity, have marked him as eligible for offices of distinctive public trust. In November, 1910, he was elected representative of Ada county in the lower house of the state legislature, and concerning his service in the same the statements appearing in a Boise newspaper at the time when he announced his candidacy for the state senate are well worthy of reproduction in this connection:

"Benjamin S. Crow, a representative from Ada County in the last session of the legislature, today filed his acceptance of the nomination for state senator, as made by Dean Perkins. As a representative Mr. Crow was both prominent and active. He was identified with nearly every important and progressive measure which came before the lower house, and was a member of nearly all the important committees. As a member of these committees and by reason of his activity on the floor he was successful in getting passed a number of bills of importance and usefulness. As a member of the judiciary committee he introduced a series of bills providing for a change in the law of appellate procedure, the effect of which was to cut in half the expense of appeals, thus giving important relief to litigants of small means. These bills were drafted by a committee of the state bar association, on which committee Mr. Crow himself served as a member, and their enactment into laws has since accomplished the result expected of them. As a friend of the laboring classes it will be recalled that he introduced a bill, and secured its passage through the house, abolishing what is known as the fellow-servant rule. This bill was, however, defeated in the senate.

"Mr. Crow was the only member from Ada County on the appropriation committee and rendered material assistance in securing the passage through that committee and through the house of the bill providing for the issuance of bonds to complete the state capitol. Mr. Crow took the floor in behalf of this bill and took charge of it in the house. As a member of the committee on railroads, carriers and other public corporations he was prominently identified with the railroad commission bill, of which he was the author. This bill was passed through the house, after a stormy debate, but was 'defeated in the senate.

"As a member of the committee on public health, of which he was the chairman, he recommended the passage of a number of bills requiring full weights and measures to be given in the selling of commodities in general use and providing for the sanitary condition of slaughter houses and other places where food supplies are prepared.

"At the special session of the legislature Mr. Crow took the floor in behalf of the measure regulating the taxation of mines."

Mr. Crow is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias, and his genial personality has made him popular in professional, business and social circles in the state of his adoption. His name is still recorded on the list of eligible bachelors.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
EDWARD J. CURTIS
Among the eminent men of the northwest whose life records form an integral part of the history of Idaho was numbered Hon. Edward J. Curtis. In his death the state lost one of its most distinguished lawyers, gifted statesmen and loyal citizens. As the day, with its morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of completed and successful efforts, ending in the grateful rest and quiet of the night, so was the life of this honored man. His career was a long, busy and useful one, marked by the utmost fidelity to the duties of public and private life, and crowned with honors conferred upon him in recognition of superior merit. His name is inseparably interwoven with the annals of the Pacific coast, with its best development and its stable progress, and his memory is cherished as that of one who made the world better for his having lived.

Edward J. Curtis was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1827 and acquired his preliminary education in public schools and under the instruction of private tutors in his native town. He was thus prepared for college and entered Princeton, where he was graduated with high honors. On the completion of his collegiate course he returned to Worcester, but soon after went to Boston, where he began the study of law in the office of the renowned jurist, Rufus Choate, but after a short time the news of the discovery of gold reached the east, and in company with a number of young men he started for California, crossing the plains to San Francisco, where he arrived early in 1849. Soon, however, he went to San Jose, where he entered the law office of Judge Chipman, and later removed to Sacramento, where he continued his studies under the direction of Judge Murry. In 1851 he removed to Yreka, where he became editor of a paper, and was elected to the legislature from Siskiyou County, serving for two terms. In Sacramento, in April, 1856, he was admitted to the bar, beginning practice in Weaverville, Trinity county, California, where soon afterward he was elected judge of the court of sessions of northern California. He also owned and published the Trinity County Journal.

At the outbreak of the civil war Judge Curtis was commissioned a second lieutenant by Governor John L. Downey, in a company of the Second Brigade of California Volunteers, but his command was never ordered to the front. When his property in Weaverville was destroyed by a flood he removed to Virginia City, Nevada, where he formed a law partnership with Hon. Thomas Fitch, the famous orator. In 1864 he went to Silver City, Idaho, with Hon. Richard Miller and the noted Hill Beachy, of stage-line fame. In that new and prosperous mining camp Judge Curtis and Mr. Miller opened a law office. In 1866 the latter was appointed by the president judge of the second judicial district of the territory, and the former was elected district attorney, after which he became a resident of Boise. From that time forward he was prominently connected with the events which form the history of the commonwealth, with its business interests and political life, and at all times was a leader in public thought and action.

In 1869, while in Washington City, he was appointed by President Grant to the position of secretary of the territory of Idaho, and in 1872 he was elected a delegate to the Republican national convention at Philadelphia, where he cast his vote for the renomination of the hero of Appomattox. Later he was reappointed territorial secretary, which position he held for eight consecutive years, and during four years of that time was acting governor of Idaho. At the breaking out of the Indian war of 1877-8 he was adjutant-general of the territory, and as such made treaties of peace with several hostile chiefs in southern Idaho. Such was the excellent record which he made in these various positions, and so high was his standing in Washington circles that President Arthur appointed him, entirely without solicitation on the part of Judge Curtis, and even without his previous knowledge, to the office of territorial secretary, and by President Harrison he was reappointed in 1889, holding that position until Idaho was admitted to the Union and passed under control of the new officials, in November, 1890.

His efforts in behalf of Idaho were by no means confined to his political services. He was the advocate of all measures which tended to advance her social, moral, material and intellectual welfare, and it was through his instrumentality that the Territorial Library was established. He went to Washington, D. C, to get an appropriation for that purpose, and through the co-operation of Senators Edwards and Sumner he secured the sum of five thousand dollars, the full amount asked for. This library grew and prospered under his fostering care and would now do credit to any state in the Union. After his retirement from office Judge Curtis resumed the private practice of law, in which he continued until his last illness. He was one of the most distinguished members of the bar of this state, and on account of his wonderful command of language and his persuasive eloquence was irresistible before a jury. His arguments, too, were based upon the facts in the case and the law applicable to them, and displayed a profound knowledge of the principles of jurisprudence.

In 1856, while in Sacramento, California, Judge Curtis married Miss Susan L. Frost, of New Haven, Connecticut, who at that time was one of the popular school-teachers in Sacramento. The marriage was a most happy one, and their union was blessed with five children. E. L. Curtis, the eldest, served as territorial secretary, acting governor and register of the land office, taking a leading part in public affairs, but his brilliant career was terminated by death in 1890. Anna, the only daughter, is the wife of Dr. J. K. DuBois, a physician of Boise; and the younger sons are William R., John J. and Henry C. Mrs. Curtis and her children, with the exception of the eldest son, survive the husband and father and are yet residents of the capital city, where the Judge made his home for thirty years. He was a life-long Republican in his political affiliations, was a member of Ada Lodge, No. 3, I. O. O. F., and of the Pioneers of the Pacific Coast. His death occurred December 29, 1895. Faultless in honor, fearless in conduct, stainless in reputation, —such was his life record. His scholarly attainments, his statesmanship, his reliable judgment and his charming powers of conversation would have enabled him to ably fill and grace any position, however exalted, and he was no less honored in public than loved in private life.

[Source: An Illustrative History of Idaho; By Lewis Publishing Co.; Publ. 1899; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]








home.jpg

Copyright Genealogy Trails 2012
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.