bluegenie




idaho_2small.gif

divide_1.gif

Biographies
"H"

divide_1.gif

hainesJOHN MICHENER HAINES
In November, 1912, the citizens of Idaho chose as their next governor John Michener Haines, who has been identified with this state as a resident and business man and civic leader for more than twenty years. His previous record in business and citizenship insures his faithful and intelligent service in the public interest while occupying the chief political office in this commonwealth.

Mr. Haines was born in Jasper county, Iowa, January 1, 1863, of German and English ancestry. The family became identified with Pennsylvania about the time William Penn established his colony there. The parents of Mr. Haines were Isaac L. and Eliza (Bushong) Haines, the father a native of Maryland, and the mother a native of Ohio. The father was a communicant of the Quaker faith, while his wife belonged to the Christian church. They subsequently moved out to the middle west, and the father was for many years a substantial farmer in Iowa. John M. Haines acquired most of his early education in Penn College at Oskaloosa, Iowa.

When about twenty years of age he became a clerk in a bank at Friend, Nebraska, remained there until 1885, at which date he moved into southwestern Kansas and engaged in real estate business. Southwestern Kansas was then undergoing its first great boom, and he made a generous success in his business there until the dry season at the end of the decade drove out prosperity and nearly all the settlers at the same time. He also had an active part in political affairs, was a member of the Republican state central committee, served as deputy clerk of court in Morton county, and in 1889 was elected register of deeds.

Messrs. W. E. Pierce, J. M. Haines and L. H. Cox associated themselves under the firm name of W. E. Pierce & Company, and soon after the admission of Idaho to the Union they arrived in Boise and opened an office under their firm name. Their object was dealing in real estate, and almost from the first they took rank as among the foremost real estate dealers in Idaho. The large prosperity of the firm was always accompanied by a corresponding contribution to the solid and substantial development of the city of Boise, and probably no company of individuals did more for the extension and improvement of the city than did the firm of Pierce & Company.

It was in real estate that Mr. Haines won his. chief business success, and at the same time he has been almost equally prominent in political affairs from the beginning of his residence here. He served as mayor of Boise from April 1907, to April 1909 and was a chief executive who gave a business-like administration to the municipal affairs, and whose record set a high mark in civic efficiency. His long experience in business, his prominence as a leader in the capital city, and many other considerations mark him as the strongest available candidate in the Republican interests for the office of governor, and his selection to head the state ticket in 1912 was in itself the signal for victory at the polls.

Governor Haines is affiliated with the Masonic order and the Order of Elks, but has no other club or social relations. He has no regular church affiliations, but has always admired and given his sincere support and respect to the Quaker sect, to which his parents had always belonged throughout their lifetime.

Mr. Haines was married on May 20, 1883, to Miss Mary Symons, a daughter of Aaron and Anna K. Symons, at Lynnville, Iowa. Mrs. Haines' parents were also members of the Quaker faith, and her father a minister of the church.

Source: HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914
Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack

BIOGRAPHY NO. 2
JOHN MICHENER HAINES
Of German and early Pennsylvania English Quaker ancestry, he was a native of Jasper County (between Des Moines and Grinnell), Iowa, where his family had a farm. After a brief student career at Penn College (Oskaloosa, Iowa) and his marriage to Mary Symons in 1883, he became a bank clerk for two years in Friend (near Lincoln), Nebraska. Then in 1885 he shifted into real estate around Richland, Kansas. There he joined in Walter E. Pierce's real estate ventures; L. H. Cox also entered that firm which, after severe drought ruined their western Kansas prospects, moved to Boise in 1890. By that time he had political experience as a Kansas State Republican Committee member who won an election as Norton County commissioner of deeds.

In Boise, he continued his political as well as real estate career: as a city council member beginning in 1899, he gained experience that led to a term as mayor (1907-1909) and culminated in a 1912 election victory that made him governor. During that campaign, in which Progressive Republicans were divided into separate factions after Theodore Roosevelt tried to return to his presidential office as a Progressive party candidate, Haines remained a Taft Republican. Taft, with strong Mormon support, came close to winning in Idaho, and Haines did better yet. No candidate received a majority, but Haines was progressive enough to gain office. Many important Progressive reforms came in 1912 and during his administration that followed.

As was typical in Progressive reform, Haines advocated a sound business approach to governmental administration. Any new agencies, office expansion, or additional services could be accepted only if they showed favorable cost ratios, demonstrating that benefits, computed financially, would exceed expenditures. In addition, he supported reforms such as non-partisan elections for judges, appointive rather than elective positions for professional state officers (such as attorney general, treasurer, auditor, superintendent of public instruction, and state mine inspector), and four-year terms for governors who would continue to be elected. A state public utilities commission, along with regulation of corporation securities sales (stocks and bonds), joined a workmen's compensation program and superior administration of public lands (state and federal) in his array of reforms. Some of those improvements were accomplished during his administration, while others were deferred. A unified State Board of Education took over state university and school operations during his term.

A candidate for reelection in 1914, he faced two other aspirants who were still more progressive than he was. Just a couple of weeks before election, though, he was greatly embarrassed by having to imprison his state treasurer (whom he did not appoint nor control) for stealing $93,112.03 in state funds. Even though he was not responsible for that aspect of public administration (but wanted to be), that defalcation fitted in poorly with his progressive program of cost ratios and efficiency safeguards. Another former Boise mayor, with still better progressive business credentials, replaced him during a close contest in 1914. Not long after that, failing health left him no opportunity to attempt to return to office.

Source: Idaho.gov
Submitted and transcribed by Sandra Davis

CLINTON H. HARTSON
In the professional field, at Boise City, Idaho, youth is no bar to public confidence and many of the representative men are those whose educational training and youthful enthusiasm balance years of experience where these elements are lacking. One of the able members bar at Boise City is Clinton H. Hartson who made his way to the front in the law and as one of the representative men along other lines.  Clinton H. Hartson was born June 1, 1886, at Spokane, Washington, and is a son of Millard T. and Margaret Hartson. They were born, reared in New Jersey and from the eastern shore of the United States. In 1879, moved to the far west locating at Spokane, Washington. By profession the father is a lawyer and was Judge of the Superior Court in Spokane County and has filled many high political positions in the gift of the Republican Party.

During two administrations he served as postmaster of Spokane and at present is Collector of Revenue for Washington and Alaska. Judge Hartson and wife are prominent socially and very hospitable, Mrs. Hartson belonging to several club organizations. They are active members of the Presbyterian Church.

Clinton M. Hartson is the eldest of his parents’ family of three children. He attended the public schools at Spokane and was graduated from the high school at Spokane in 1904, after which he turned his attention to the law, studying first with his father and afterward independently earning the means through which he was able to complete his law course, at the George Washington Law University at Washington, where he was graduated with his degree of L.L.B., in 1908.

He then entered the government service as special agent, serving as such until March, 1909. when he became chief of the Idaho Field Service and continued in that office until June, 1911, when he embarked in active practice. He owns one of the best law libraries in the city and his success in conducting the litigation in various cases in which he has been retained, have made him very well and favorably known. He is the attorney for a number of corporations, railroads and mining companies. His office is maintained in the Idaho building, room No. 217, Boise City.

On December 25, 1910, Mr. Hartson was married at Providence, Rhode Island, to Miss Florence Ludwig, who was born in that city. They reside at No. 1310 North Seventh street, Boise City. Mrs. Hartson is a member of the Baptist Church. Politically he if a Republican but takes no active part in campaign work, devoting all his time to his profession and satisfied with its rewards. He is identified with the Ada County and belongs also to the Order of Elks, at Boise City. Mr. Hartson is a pleasant man to meet, his genial manner arousing a feeling of genuine friendliness in those who have either business or social relations with him.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

GEORGE D. HARWARD
Harward Clothing Company is the activity and enterprise of any growing center of population is very clearly indicated by the class of stores that cater to the needs of its citizens. It is with pleasure that we refer to Harward & Company, haber dashers, the principal member of the firm being George D. Harward, who is well known in Boise for his sterling integrity of character and fair and honorable business methods.

George D. Harward was born in Davis county, Iowa, November 15, 1871, and he is the son of Leroy S. and Mary E. (Jay) Harward, the former of whom was a pioneer dry goods man in Bloomfield. Iowa, and a prominent coal operator and owner of coal mines in the Hawkeye state. He died at Elton, Iowa, in 1893.

The second in order of birth in a family of two children, George D. Harward was educated in Bloomfield, Iowa, where he was graduated in high school as a member of the class of 1888. After leaving school he worked for his father as clerk in one of the latter's stores for two years. In 1890 he went to Ottumwa, Iowa, and there secured a position with the W. A. Jordan Mercantile Company, one of the then largest department stores in Iowa. Three years later he was made department manager in the dry goods concern of Bierce & Trott at Eldon, Iowa.

In 1896 he went to Greeley, Colorado, where he was department manager and window trimmer for the Greeley Cash Store for eighteen months, at the expiration of which he went to Trenton, Missouri, where he assumed charge of the Hoffman-Merrill Company's clothing department, remaining with the latter concern for seven years. In 1906 he came to Boise, Idaho, and here was in the employ of Goodman & Jones, clothing establishment, for two years.

For the ensuing three years he was buyer for the Cohen & McDavitt Clothing Company. Thus well fortified in experience he engaged in business for himself March 1, 1911, opening a high-class haber dashery store in the Idaho building, the finest office and store building in Boise. This enterprise has proved very successful and a large and lucrative patronage is now controlled by Harward & Company, the most fastidious gentlemen's furnishing store in Boise.

A Democrat in politics, Mr. Harward is deeply and sincerely interested in community affairs. He does not aspire to public office but is ever ready to do all in his power to advance progress and improvement. As a Mason he is secretary of Oriental Lodge, Free & Accepted Masons; and recorder for Idaho Commandery, Knights Templar. He is likewise affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

In 1898 Mr. Harward was united in marriage to Miss Arabella Marsh, of Greeley, Colorado. This union has been prolific of one son, Elbert, whose birth occurred on the twenty-third of September, 1901. The family home of the Harwards is maintained at No. 2710 Ada Street, Boise, and it is the scene of many attractive social gatherings. In religious matters Mr. Harward attends and gives his support to the Baptist Church, of which his wife is a devout member.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
JAMES HENRY HAWLEY
Leaving his original home in Dubuque, Iowa, a year after he graduated from high school, James H. Hawley (January 17, 1847-August 3, 1929) came to Boise Basin in 1862. Active as a miner in that region, he left Placerville for San Francisco to study law in October, 1864. Coming back to resume his Idaho mining career in 1868, he was elected to the legislature in 1870. He was admitted to the bar at the end of that legislative session. In 1874 he was elected to the territorial council; in 1876, a Boise County commissioner; in 1878 and 1880, district attorney. He almost became the Democratic congressional candidate in 1884, but, with Grover Cleveland’s presidential victory that year, he served a four-year term as United States Attorney instead. Then in 1888 he got the Democratic congressional nomination, but could not overcome the Republican anti-Mormon combine.

After the Coeur d’Alene mine labor war in 1892, he acted as attorney for the miners’ union at the time his clients organized the Western Federation of Miners. In 1899, though, he served as special prosecutor for the state when the mine labor war erupted again with the dynamiting of the Bunker Hill and Sullivan concentrator at Wardner. He continued in this capacity during the conspiracy trials following the assassination of Frank Steunenberg. Following his election in 1902 to a term as mayor of Boise, he was chosen governor of Idaho in 1910. Missing reelection by a narrow margin in 1912, he ran for United States Senate in 1914 and tried for another nomination in 1918. Aside from his political career, he was one of the really outstanding criminal lawyers of the west: his most notable achievement being the freeing of Diamondfield Jack Davis in a sheep and cattle war of 1896 to 1902. He also specialized in irrigation law, dealing in water litigation over a forty-year period.

Source: Idaho.gov
Submitted and transcribed by Sandra Davis

COLONEL EDGAR M. HEIGHO
The life story of Colonel Edgar Maurice Heigho is a noble illustration of what independence, self-faith, persistency and lofty ideals can accomplish in America. He is absolutely self-made. No one has helped him in a financial way and he is self-educated. He is possessed of a strong, vigorous and self-reliant character and throughout his entire-life he has trusted in his own ability and done things single-handed and alone. To-day he stands supreme as a successful business man and a loyal and public-spirited citizen. Most of his attention has been devoted to railroading and in 1912 he is president and general manager of the Pacific & Idaho Northern Railway.

A native of Essex, England, Colonel Heigho was born October 23, 1867, and he is a son of George and Amelia (Stevens) Heigho, both of whom were natives of England, of Anglo-Saxon descent. Colonel Heigho attended the common schools until he had reached his eleventh year and since that time he has been self-supporting. He came to the United States in 1874 and his first position was that of office boy in the office of the Detroit Free Press. At the age of fifteen years he entered the railroad service with the Michigan Central Railroad at Detroit, Michigan.

Subsequently he served in various capacities with the Erie & North Shore Dispatch, the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway, the Commercial Express Fast Freight Line and the Union Pacific Railway. From 1887 to 1890 he was chief clerk to the superintendent of the Idaho Central Railway, at Boise, Idaho, and in 1891 he was transit man on the government survey of Lost River district, Idaho. In 1892 he was employed in the office of the freight traffic manager of the Missouri Pacific Railway, at St. Louis, Missouri, and later he was bookkeeper for the Allen Foundry Company, in Detroit, in which latter concern he was subsequently assistant manager. In 1893 he was superintendent of the Standard Foundry Company, at Cleveland, Ohio; in 1894 was engaged in private business in Detroit, Michigan; from 1895 to 1898 was ranching in Jackson's Hole, Wyoming; from 1899 to June 1903, he worked in the traffic department of the Oregon Short Line Railroad, at Salt Lake, Utah; in June 1903, became auditor of the Pacific & Idaho Northern Railway at Weiser, Idaho; and in July 1904, was elected vice-president and general manager of the Pacific & Idaho Northern Railway. He resigned the latter position in November, 1909, but a short time later returned to that road as its president and general manager, serving in that capacity at the present time, in 1912, with headquarters at New Meadows, Idaho.

Colonel Heigho is likewise president and general manager of the Central Idaho Telegraph & Telephone Company; is president and general manager of the Coeur d'Or Development Company, which owns the New Meadows town site and the Hotel Heigho; is vice-president and a director of the Weiser National Bank, at Weiser, Idaho; and is a director of the Meadows Valley Bank, at New Meadows. He takes an active interest in Republican politics and is particularly interested in development matters of all kinds in southern Idaho. He has served as a delegate to various Republican conventions in Idaho and was delegate at large for Idaho to the National Republican Convention held in Chicago, in June, 1908.

For several years past he has been connected with independent military organizations and with the Idaho National Guard. He served as captain and aide-de-camp on the staff of Governor Gooding and as colonel and commissary general on the staff of Governor Brady.

Colonel Heigho is a valued and appreciative member of the National Geographic Society, the American Economic Association, The American Academy of Political and Social Science; the American Society of International Law, the American Mining Congress, the Alta Club (Salt Lake, Utah,) and the Boise Commercial Club (Boise, Idaho). In religious matters he is a devout member of St. George's Protestant Episcopal Church, at New Meadows.

At Salt Lake. Utah, September 26, 1900, was solemnized the marriage of Colonel Heigho to Miss Nora Alice Gwin. a daughter of William and Katherine Gwin, of Keota, Iowa. For ten years prior to her marriage Mrs. Heigho was a popular and successful teacher in Salt Lake, Utah. She is a woman of most gracious personality and is a devoted wife and mother. Colonel and Mrs. Heigho have three children; Cedric Atheling, aged 11 years; and Virginia Gwin and Katherine Audley (twins), aged eight years, in 1912.

Source: HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914
Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack

SHADRACH L. HODGIN
Shadrach L. Hodgin has served with ability and distinction as sheriff of Ada county and as United States marshal for Idaho, of which latter office he is the incumbent at the time of this writing. His present term will expire on December 16, 1912. and it is his intention to engage in the practice of law after his retirement from government service, as he has given careful study to the science of jurisprudence, with the definite purpose of entering the legal profession. He maintains his home at Boise, the capital of the state, and has been a resident of Idaho since his boyhood days, his sterling character and personal popularity needing no further voucher than the fact that he has been called upon to serve in offices of distinctive public trust.

Shadrach L. Hodgin was born in Cedar county, Missouri, on the 1st of January, 1872, and thus be came a welcome New Year's arrival in the home of his parents, Robert L. and Susan (Chandler) Hodgin, the former a native of Missouri, where he was born in the year 1843, and the latter of Nashville, Tennessee, whence she accompanied her parents to Missouri, in which state was solemnized her marriage to Robert L. Hodgin, whose parents removed from Indiana to Missouri about the year 1840. Robert L. Hodgin devoted the greater part of his active life to agricultural pursuits and stock-growing and was a resident of St. John, Whitman county, Washington, at the time of his death, in August, 1907, at the age of sixty-four years, his widow now maintaining her home in Blackfoot, Idaho.

Robert L. Hodgin served throughout the Civil war as a valiant soldier of the union and was an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic at the time of his death. He enlisted as a member of the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry and with the same participated in many important engagements, including those at Cedar Creek and Pea Ridge, Arkansas and the siege of Vicksburg, in which he received a slight wound. After the war he continued his residence in Missouri until 1886, when he came with his family to Idaho and settled on the Camas prairie, in Fort Plains, Alturas county, where he took up a government homestead and improved a good ranch. He finally removed to the state of Washington, where he passed the residue of his life.—a man of industrious habits and impregnable integrity in all the relations of life. Of the seven children five sons and two daughters are living, and of the number the subject of this review' was the second in order of birth.

Shadrach L. Hodgin was reared to the sturdy.*' discipline of the farm, gained his early education, in the public schools of his native state and was a lad of fourteen years at the time of the family removal to Idaho. He was reared to adult age in Ada county, this state, and his appreciation of this favored commonwealth has been shown in his insistent loyalty to the same during the long intervening years, within which he has gained success and prestige of no equivocal order. He continued to attend school until he had attained to the age of seventeen years and he then began independent operations as a farmer and stock-grower in Ada county.

He continued successful operations along these lines for two years, and then removed to Walter's Ferry, a town now known as Walter, in Canyon county, where he engaged in the hotel business and became concerned in other lines of enterprise, including the operation of a ferry across the Snake river. In 1898 he removed to Meridian, Ada county, where for a time he was engaged in the grocery business. After his retirement from the same he again turned his attention to farming and stockraising in this county, and with these basic industries he continued to be thus identified until 1902, after which he was engaged in the sheep business on a minor scale, and with but indefinite success, until 1905, when he assumed the office of deputy sheriff of Ada county. Mr. Hodgin made an admirable record in this position, and held the same until January, 1007, when he was elected sheriff, an office of which he continued the incumbent until June 22A of the following year, when he resigned, owing to his having received appointment to the important office of United States marshal for the district of Idaho.

He was sheriff during the Mover and Pettibone troubles and in a general way his administration was marked by such discrimination and effective service as to render most consistent his advancement to the office of which he is now in tenure. In the meanwhile he has been most diligent in amplifying his education, especially in the study of law under effective private preceptorship, and he is fully eligible for admission to the bar. As previously noted, it is his intention to engage in the practice of law upon his retirement from his present office. In politics, Mr. Hodgin has always been arrayed as a stalwart in the local camp of the Republican party, and he has been an active worker in behalf of its cause. He has served as delegate to its state conventions in Idaho, as well as to county and congressional conventions, and with the exception of two years he has resided continuously in Ada county since 1889. He has a wide circle of staunch friends in Idaho, is affiliated with the Boise lodge of the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks, and with the Meridian Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

From 1899 to 1902 he served as a member of the school board of district No. 42, Ada county, and it may be further said in connection with his political activities that he was an earnest supporter of the measure which resulted in such amendment of the state constitution as to make county sheriffs and assessors eligible for re-election after the close of their first terms, this amendment having passed the legislature in 1910.

At Boise, on the 6th of September, 1806, Mr. Hodgin was united in marriage to Miss Jessie M. Clawson, who was born in New Jersey, and who is a daughter of John W., who died in 1900 in Boise, and Sally T. Clawson, now a resident of Boise. Mr. and Mrs. Hodgin has one son, John Lawrence, who was born in Ada county, on the 13th of July and who is a member of the class of 1915 in Boise high school. The attractive family home, owned by  Mr. and Mrs. Hodgin, is at 1509 North Eighth street in the capital city of the state, and the same is a center of congenial hospitality.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

hooverCOLONEL EDGAR M. HOOVER
Since 1004 a resident of Boise City, Colonel Hoover has been actively and prominently identified with the development of the great lumber interests of Idaho. The career of Colonel Hoover is an example of a steadfast devotion to one line of enterprise from the time when he became connected with the lumber business as a boy in Iowa. From the minor positions of clerkships and subordinate responsibility he has risen to be one of the foremost lumber men of the northwest, and is an influential factor in many cognate enterprises in civic affairs.

Edgar M. Hoover was born at Muscatine, Iowa, July 23, 1866, and was a son of Henry and Sarah (Hubbard) Hoover. His great-grandfather, Michael Hoover, was a resident of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It was in that place, Henry Hoover was born. In 1854 he came to Iowa, during the early development of that state and was there engaged in real estate, loan and insurance business. During the Civil war, he entered the service of the Union and from the rank of lieutenant was brevetted captain, and subsequently was acting adjutant of the Thirty-fifth Iowa Infantry. Few of the soldiers of the Civil war served longer, or with more credit. He was in the ranks for four years, and participated in the Mississippi campaign at Vicksburg and other points, in the Red river campaign, and in the siege of Mobile. Throughout this period of arduous campaigning he suffered neither wounds nor imprisonment, although on two occasions he had horses shot from under him. His death occurred in Iowa in 1881, when he was fifty-five years of age. He had married at Chicago in 1863, Miss Sarah F. Hubbard, a daughter of Abel Hubbard. The Hubbard family of Scotch-Irish descent had originally settled in Vermont. Of the five children of Henry Hoover and wife, Edgar M. was the oldest.

Equipped with a high school education, Edgar M. Hoover began his battle with the world at the age of seventeen, at which time, in addition to the responsibilities of his own advancement, he had the care and support of his widowed mother. Attaining a clerkship with the Musser Lumber Company at Muscatine, Iowa, he used that as a starting point of a career which has brought him large success. Close attention to duties, and fidelity to employers during the ten years of his connection with that company resulted in various promotions, until he became chief clerk of the concern, and was marked as one of the rising men in the business.

From Muscatine, Colonel Hoover went to Little Falls, Minnesota, one of the great lumber points of the northwest, and for eleven years there was associated with the Pine Tree Lumber Company, in the capacity of assistant secretary and sales manager. The opportunities and rapid development of Idaho had in the meantime attracted his attention, and upon the organization of the Payette "Lumber and Manufacturing Company, he came to this state, arriving in Boise in May, 1004. Here he assumed the office of general manager of the company just mentioned, and has since been a permanent resident of Boise. The Payette Lumber and Manufacturing Company, of which he has been the practical director for the past eight or nine years is one of the largest and most important concerns of the kind in Idaho or the northwest.

It holds large acreage of pine land, and has splendid resources and facilities for development of the great lumber industry. Colonel Hoover has a number of other important business interests. He is a director in the Boise City National Bank, a director in the Boise Title & Trust Company, one of the incorporators of the Northwest Paper Company of Minnesota, and a director and manager of the Payette River Improvement Company, being a stockholder in all these concerns.

The son of a veteran soldier, Colonel Hoover has since early childhood had a more than casual interest in military affairs. For eleven years he was an active member of the Iowa State Militia. During the Spanish American war he served on the governor’s staff of Minnesota, and for seven years has been a member of the governor's staff of Idaho, being inspector general and United States disbursing officer under Governors Gooding, Brady, Hawley and Haines. Although no seeker for public office, he has been actively interested for years in the success of the Republican party. He was one of the three delegates from Idaho to the first Conservation Congress in Washington.

Colonel Hoover is one of the trustees of the Y. W. C. A. at Boise. For several terms he served as treasurer and director of the Boise Commercial Club, and fraternally is affiliated with Oriental Lodge A. F. & A. M. at Boise. He is a member and vestryman of St. Michael's Episcopal church. On September 26. 1809, Colonel Hoover married Miss Jane Redfield, whose father is William W. Redfield of Minneapolis. They are the parents of two sons: John Redfield, who was born at Little Falls, Minnesota, April 12, 1003; and Edgar M., Jr., who was born at Boise, February 22, 1907. The attractive home of Colonel Hoover and family stands at 1005 Harrison boulevard in Boise.

Source: HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914
Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack

HARRY MARSHALL HUGHES
The late Harry Marshall Hughes, fortunate both in material gifts of fortune and in the high regard of all who were privileged to know him, was a citizen of Boise from 1890, although his life had been spent in widely distant and varied points, having begun in the Missouri metropolis. That city had become the home of his father, James M. Hughes, when the latter was a young man. A Kentuckian by birth. Mr. Hughes had adopted St. Louis as his home when he entered upon the practice of his profession as an attorney. In that line he became very successful, occupying a leading position in his chosen city and later serving for two terms as a member of Congress. He represented a family of superior caliber and standing among the influential citizens of St. Louis, St. Joe and Salt Lake City. St. Louis was his home until the close of his efficient life in 1861, at which time the sum of his years was fifty-three, and his passing is marked by the memorial stone erected to his memory in Bellefontaine cemetery at St. Louis. Mrs. James M. Hughes, also a native of Kentucky, had, like her husband, become a resident of St. Louis in her youth and had there been married. She outlived him, reaching the age of seventy years and maintaining her residence in St. Louis throughout her lifetime; she also is buried in Belfontaine cemetery. James and Nancy Hughes reared four children, of whom Harry Marshall Hughes, the subject of this biographical review, was the youngest. In the parental home in St. Louis his birth occurred on August 14, 1856.

The educational advantages vouchsafed to Harry M. Hughes were all that could be desired; beginning with the graded public schools of St. Louis, he passed to the University of Utah at Salt Lake City and ultimately completed his education at the Jesuit College at Santa Clara, California. He then entered upon a series of vocational experiences which gave him a wide familiarity with various locations.

The first of these activities was that of sheep-raising, at North Powder, Idaho, where he also experimented in mining. Not fully satisfied with the results' of this work, Mr. Hughes next entered the steamship mail service on the line running between Seattle and Alaskan points. After that he joined his brother, E. C. Hughes, in mercantile business at Astoria, Oregon. This arrangement terminated when Harry M. Hughes determined upon settling in Boise. Idaho, which became his home ^n 1890 and remained his residence throughout the residue of his life. The year of Mr. Hughes' coming to Boise was marked by his marriage to Miss Mary A. Ball. Her parents, Fidelio P. Ball and Ann P. (Hillis) Ball, are well-known early settlers of this state. They had at a previous time taken up a pioneer residence at Rockville, Oregon, had from there removed to Silver City, Idaho, and eventually came to Caldwell to spend the evening of their lives in peace and retirement. Both have at this date reached the age of eighty-one and their golden wedding celebration of August, 1912, was an occasion for a family reunion and gathering of old friends. Of the four children whom they have reared, the oldest is Mary A., who in 1890 was united in marriage to Harry M. Hughes.

Not only his mercantile activities, which Mr. Hughes retained as long as his state of health would permit and indeed much longer than it would justify, but also extensive real estate interests held his attention and were handled in a most able manner. He acquired much valuable property, located in various parts of the city and state, and a year after his death Mrs. Hughes erected that conspicuous monument to his memory—the magnificent apartment structure which she erected at 609 West Jefferson street, known as A-L-O-H-A, meaning "love to you," a Hawaiian term, she having her husband in mind when she named her apartments.

But the period of Mr. Hughes' citizenship was all too short and all too soon marred by the approach of the lingering illness against which he fought so courageously, yet endured so patiently when it became clearly inevitable. His wide circle of friends did all that sympathy can do to alleviate suffering; the grateful balm of affectionate regret for his suffering, tendered by Judge Huston, Senator Borah and other associates did all that such attention can do to lighten the pain of an incurable affliction. His brothers in the Astoria chapter of the Knights of Pythias and his comrades of the Boise commercial club did not allow him to forget how highly they valued his association with them. To the last he retained his interest in life and in civic affairs. He was a heartily interested member of the Democratic party and one who endorsed the motives of religious organizations. In early life he had become a member of the Catholic church. Religion in the practical sense was closely allied with his philanthropic spirit, for he was one who did much to relieve suffering and distress. On August 14, 1909, all these activities and interests, as well as his six years' suffering, were terminated by the great stillness which we call death. He was widely and sincerely mourned and is remembered with that warm appreciation and that deep respect which are man's truest and finest monuments.

Mrs. Hughes still maintains her residence in Boise, where she retains the fine apartments before referred to. She is a woman of broad interests, with the sane and wholesome point of view in regard to public affairs which is characteristic of the intelligent and well-poised western woman citizen. She is, as her husband was, a member of the Democratic Party, and has reached her conclusions independently, as well as logically. She occupies an eminent social position in Boise.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

EDWARD H. HULSER
Admitted to the Idaho Bar, at Boise, on the 23rd of October, 1908, Mr. Hulser has gained secure vantage ground in his profession and is one of its able and successful representatives in the capital city of the state of his adoption. He has virtually created the instrumentalities through which his advancement has been won, as it was almost entirely due to his own exertions that he was enabled to defray the expenses of his academic and professional training, and his ambition and self-reliance have been on a parity with his integrity of purpose, so that he well merits the confidence and esteem uniformly accorded him.

He is one of the progressive and public-spirited citizens of Boise, has been active in educational and religious work and his valiant individuality is of the type to which success comes as a natural prerogative. He has maintained offices in the Sonna building in Boise from the time of his admission to the bar and has built up an excellent practice of representative order.

Edward Hawkins Hulser was born at Lake City, Calhoun county, Iowa, on the 30th of September, 1879, and is a son of George and Myra (Hawkins) Hulser, the former of whom was born in Germany and the latter in the state of New York, of staunch Puritan lineage, the original progenitors in America having come from England on the historic ship "Mayflower."

Rev. Franklin Hawkins, maternal grandfather of Mr. Hulser, was a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church and passed the closing years of his life in the state of New York. George Hulser was but seven years of age at the time of his parents' immigration from Germany to the United States, and he was reared to manhood in the state of New York. He became one of the pioneer settlers of Calhoun county. Iowa, and at the time he there established his home his residence was the only one within twenty-six miles of the present thriving town of Pomeroy, Iowa. He purchased land and with the passing of the years developed a productive farm. He continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits until he was well advanced in years and he is now living retired at Boise, Idaho, both he and his wife having the affectionate regard of all who have come within the sphere of their kindly and gracious influence and both being devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

To the public schools of his native county, Edward H. Hulser is indebted for his earlier educational discipline, and in the meanwhile he learned the lessons of practical industry in connection with the work of the home farm. In furthering his education he became virtually dependent upon his own resources, and he earned through effective newspaper work an appreciable part of the funds which enabled him to complete his college and professional studies. In 1905 he was graduated in Morningside College, at Sioux City, Iowa, and from this institution he received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. His public-school study had included the curriculum of the high school at Lake City, Iowa, and he was a student in the college mentioned for a period of three years. In 1904-5 he was instructor in English and athletics in the Emmetsburg public schools, at Emmetsburg, Iowa, and he then entered the law department of the great University of Chicago, in which he completed the prescribed three years' course and was graduated as a member of the class of 1908 and with the well earned degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence.

He forthwith came to Idaho and established his residence in Boise, where, as previously noted, he was admitted to the bar of the state on the 23rd of October, 1908. From the beginning he has continuously maintained his offices in the Sonna building, and it may well be understood that a man of such characteristic energy and ambition has not failed to make substantial advancement in his chosen profession. Mr. Hulser has a representative clientage and is known as a versatile and resourceful trial lawyer as well as a counselor admirably fortified in the minutiae of the science of jurisprudence. He is attorney for the Idaho Soap Company, in which he is a stockholder, also local representative of William McMaster, financial agent of Portland, Oregon, one of the prominent financial agents of the northwest. He is also a stockholder in the Hill Crest irrigation project in Ada county.

Though he subordinates all else to the demands of his exacting profession, Mr. Hulser finds time and opportunity to manifest a lively interest in those agencies which tend to foster the civic and material prosperity and well-being of the community. He is a most active worker in the Boise Young Men's Christian Association. He is also a member of the Boise church council; and both he and his wife are zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics Mr. Hulser is well fortified in his convictions and accords a staunch allegiance to the Republican Party, in the ranks of which he has been an active and effective worker, though he has never sought official preferment of any order.

He is affiliated with the local organizations of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Loyal Order of Moose. He has ever manifested the deepest filial solicitude and has done all in his power to add to the comfort and happiness of his loved father and mother. He is a most appreciative student of the best in literature, as well as of the technical literature of his profession, in which his success shows a constantly cumulative tendency. Both he and his wife are popular factors in the social life of their home city, and their hospitable residence is at 1702 North Eighth street.

At Sioux City, Iowa, on the 9th of August, 1909, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hulser to Miss Ada Gertrude Hart, who was born in Wisconsin and whose father, Edward Hart, is now a representative citizen of the state of Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Hulser have two children,—Frederick, who was born on the 12th of June, 1910; and Margaret, who was born on the 6th of January, 1912.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

CHARLES F. HUMMEL
A profession that has most important bearing upon the civic and material development and upbuilding of any community is that of the architect, and the city of Boise and state of Idaho are favored in having as able and successful representatives of this profession as are the members of the firm of Tourtelotte & Hummel, of which the junior member is he whose name initiates this paragraph, a review of the career of his coadjutor. John E. Tourtelotte, appearing on other pages of this volume. The firm holds unquestioned precedence in its field of operations and its principals are men to whom is accorded unqualified confidence and esteem, as both are sincere and steadfast, honorable in all dealings and possessed of admirable talent in their chosen profession.

Charles F. Hummel was born in the grand duchy of Baden, Germany, on the 2nd of April, 1857, and in the schools of his native place he gained his early educational discipline, which included the curriculum of the gymnasium, or high school, and in preparation for his chosen profession he entered a technical college in the city of Stuttgart, in which he completed a thorough course in architectural art and science and from which he received his diploma in 1879. Prior to this he was employed as assistant engineer in connection with railway construction in Switzerland, and thus his technical training included civil engineering and other branches of study. He was thus engaged for two and one-half years, and then returned to Stuttgart to complete his education as an architect. After receiving his diploma Mr. Hummel went to the city of Freiburg, Germany, where he was employed as a draftsman until 1885 and where he gained experience of most valuable order. In the year last mentioned he came to the United States, and for the first eighteen months he was employed at carpenter work in Chicago and St. Paul.

In the autumn of 1888 he went to Tacoma, Washington, where he followed the work of his profession for one year, after which he changed his base of operations to the rival city of Seattle, where he did a successful business as a contractor and builder during the ensuing two years. He thereafter passed about an equal period in the rapidly growing little city of Everett. Washington, where he continued in the same line of enterprise.

In the year 1895 Mr. Hummel came to Idaho and established his home in Boise, and, in this state he has found scope and opportunity for most productive and successful work along the line of his chosen profession. He initiated operations as a contractor in Boise, and later opened an office at Weiser, the judicial center of Washington County. His energy, ability and honorable methods and policies gained to him a substantial business, which placed exigent demands upon his time and attention, so that it was a matter of definite expediency, as was it also of mutual gratification, when, in 1901, he formed his present partnership alliance with Mr. Tourtellotte. The success of the firm has been almost phenomenal, and they have been the designers and builders of many of the finest buildings in the state.

They are at the present time, at the close of the year 1912, in charge of the completion of Idaho's splendid capitol building, which when completed will represent an expenditure of two million dollars. They also erected the fine high school in Boise, the same representing an expenditure of three hundred and fifty thousand dollars. The administration building at the University of Idaho, at Moscow, stands in further evidence of the skill and talent of this firm, as he does also the gymnasium of the Albion State Normal School, at Albion. They have also erected large and modern school buildings at Caldwell, Pocatello and Mountain Home, and the Catholic cathedral and First Methodist Episcopal church edifices in Boise; the Methodist church at Caldwell: the Owyhee hotel, in Boise, the finest in the state; the Washington hotel at Weiser; the Antlers hotel at Baker City, Lemhi county; and the Bank of Commerce, Overland and Yates buildings, which are the largest and most modern office buildings in the Idaho capital, each of them being a six-story structure. The buildings mentioned in the foregoing list represent but a small part of the splendid work done by the firm of Tourtellotte & Hummel.

Mr. Hummel is at all times ready to give his influence and co-operation in the furtherance of measures and enterprises tending to advance the civic and material welfare of his home city and state, to which his loyalty knows no bounds.

On the 9th of September, 1882, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hummel to Miss Marie Conrad, who likewise was born and reared in Baden, Germany, and they have four children,—Ernest A., who is engaged in the plumbing and steam-fitting business in Boise; Frederick C, who is a draftsman and is employed in the office of Tourtellette & Hummel; Frank K., who is a student of art and architecture in the University of Pennsylvania, as a member of the class of 1915; and Marie E., who is attending the St. Theresa's Academy, of Boise.

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

ERNEST ERWIN HUNT
Typical of the success that comes to a man in the West be he provided with energy and a capacity for hard work is the career of Ernest Erwin Hunt. One of the pioneers of Idaho, in that he arrived in the state at the early age of twelve and has watched it grow from a collection of widely scattered mining camps to the great commonwealth of today, his interests 'during his whole lifetime have been bound up in the welfare of Idaho and her people. Starting in business in a very modest way, his patronage grew by leaps and bounds, and at the present time he is the manager and part owner .pi one of the largest and most modern department stores in the state of Idaho. This success is entirely due to his own efforts, as one man, writing in The Statesman, puts it: "Many wonder to what his rapid growth and immense trade may be attributed. The answer is short: Push, advertising, courteous treatment of customers, and the lowest prices possible."

Ernest Erwin Hunt was born February 11, 1868. at Sedalia, Missouri. He is the eldest son, of seven children, of Dr. Sylvester Peter Hunt, who has his offices in Portland, Oregon, and his home in Lewiston, Idaho. His mother, Mary Evelyn Hunt, one of those good old Christian ladies, began early to mould his character and precept and good example were always placed before him, and that kindly good advice was heeded so that now in her old age she rejoices in his success and emoluments. When he was still a small lad, his parents, in company with sixteen other families determined to set out for the west. They formed a compact to stand by each other in the long journey across the plains and in the land on the other side of the great mountains. Loading the ox-carts with the provisions and clothing and all the belongings that would be of any service in the new life, they set out, in the spring of 1880, from Sedalia, Missouri. Young Ernest Hunt was thirteen when his parents at last reached the spot upon which they determined to settle, and although young he was strong and eager to do his share of the work. Therefore his young hands had an important part in the building of the little log cabin, planting the seed and in due time reaping that first glorious harvest. His education was obtained in the log schoolhouse, and so fascinated was he with the world of books to which he was here introduced, that he determined to learn more than the log house could give him, and set out on that path which is the greatest, perhaps, of all educators, that of the teacher, himself.

He was but seventeen when he began teaching, and feeling after a time, that he must have theoretical as well as practical training, he took a course in a normal school and was rapidly advanced from the position of teacher to that of principal and later superintendent. During this time he held first grade certificates in many of the counties of the state, and the records show the following, to wit: "This certifies that Ernest Erwin Hunt is possessed of a good moral character, and has passed a satisfactory examination upon all of the branches required to entitle him to a first grade certificate. He is therefore deemed qualified to teach in any school district in this county, or in any county in Idaho, by depositing a certified copy of this certificate with the superintendent thereof, orthography, 96; United States history, 95; school law, 100; arithmetic, 98; reading, 96; algebra, 98; civil government, 96; theory and the art of teaching, 95; geography, 96; physiology and hygiene, 95; grammar, 96; penmanship, 93; state constitution, 95; average standing, 96 and 1/13 per cent. It is said that he was considered a walking encyclopedia of useful knowledge and people sought him far and near to get his services as an instructor. Many of our leading men and women, who were his pupils, now fill responsible positions in the state, and all speak in glowing terms of his ability as a teacher and hold him in the highest esteem . He was extremely popular, not only with the parents, but with the children, and his success as a teacher prophesied well for his success as a merchant, a business man and one of the best financiers of the state of Idaho.

It was in 1902 that he gave up his position as a city school superintendent and went into the business world, establishing a small feed store in Emmett, Idaho. His business began to grow and soon supplied a trade that reached into the far distant Thunder Mountain Mining Camps, at that time the latest sensation in the mining circles. He next added groceries to his stock, then hardware and crockery, to be followed soon afterwards by dry goods and clothing and shoe departments. He could not increase the size of his buildings fast enough to house his growing stock or accommodate his growing trade, and he was at last forced to buy adjoining buildings, and he now enjoys a large patronage and employs from eleven to eighteen clerks to care for his still rapidly growing business. The capacity of his two big stores is scarcely great enough for his business and it looks as though he would have to increase it at no very distant time.

In August, 1910, the Hunt Greene Mercantile Company was formed, Mr. Hunt being the leading spirit in the organization, which is composed of some of the leading men of Canyon county, and which represents a capital of nearly two hundred thousand dollars. They began business on the 16th of August, 1910, and in the Evening Capital News, of Boise, Idaho, of that date is published an article concerning the new company, and containing the following sentence which was the general sentiment of all who knew Mr. Hunt and his associates: "Emmett is to be congratulated in securing so strong a concern, to invest, locate and disseminate their capital in their city, as the people representing the company are men of wealth and they have the hustling spirit consonant to a large organization." It was the intention of the company to include the farmers and stockraisers among the stockholders, and in this way bring the entire county into cooperation and sympathy with the new organization. How well the scheme worked can be seen by a glance at the phenomenal success which has come to the company. Dr. R. H. Greene, a leading physician and a wealthy land owner is among the men who have associated themselves and their finances with the company, and his business judgment has been of much value in the forward progress of the company.

That this success is due to Mr. Hunt's strong personality and business ability, no one denies, and perhaps the best estimate of his character is one given in a newspaper article, which was written by a man who had been closely associated with him as a school superintendent. He says in part: "He is strong of character, full of zeal, thrifty and industrious, and possesses an intellectual endowment that will warrant the opinion that he will make for himself a great man. He has self reliance that comes from self-help; the hard common sense that comes from contact with the people; the direct, straightforward methods of those who live and fight in the open; the generosity of impulse and tenderness of heart of those who knew the sorrows and kindness of mankind. He has a mind that is analytical and logical, a copious vocabulary and great fluency of speech; is a hard student, a close reasoner, and an active participator in public affairs. United with a high order of ability, he has a commanding figure, tall, erect, and a most affable and pleasant manner and address.

In his intercourse with others he seems to forget himself entirely, and to have no thought except to interest and instruct his hearers; to carry them with him by force of argument. He has a vein of humor that crops out naturally, almost unconsciously in speaking, but he will not sacrifice dignity nor fall below the plane of sincerity, purity or integrity. He is frank, manly and courteous, outspoken, always has convictions and the courage to follow them. He has a host of friends in every county in Idaho, where he has taught school or been engaged in business. You will always find him cordial in his greetings, appreciative of those around him, and he stands admired and honored by his fellowmen everywhere. The Hunt-Greene Mercantile Company at Emmett are to be congratulated in securing a man of such sterling worth to assist them in their big department store. His years of experience are worth a fortune to the average man and with his ability and qualifications can command the confidence and the respect of the business world, and we predict for him unbounded success. He will push to the front and take place among men who are doing things in this world. One discovers that he is a man not easily turned aside from that which he undertakes under the conviction that it should be done. He is a specimen of the finished Idaho product of the typical American gentleman, who started out in life, determined that limited education, influence, lack of money, or any other lack created by mere circumstances should not keep him from pushing to the front rank and taking his rightful position among the men who are doing things in this world."

While he was attending the College of Idaho, and finishing the printer's trade at Caldwell, Idaho, he became acquainted with Anna, the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis F. Cook, who was also a school teacher and an artist of high standing and after a successful courtship of two years, they were united in holy wedlock by Dr. W. J. Boone, president of the college, on Christmas day, 1895, at her home near Caldwell, in the presence of many friends and acquaintances. At present seven bright, healthy, happy, robust children have been added to the family: Cecil Canova, a young man of sixteen, has assisted his father in the mercantile business, outside of his regular school duties, until he has been able to manage the affairs at the store for more than a year. Not satisfied with the common school education, he saved his earnings for the past two years and at the beginning of the school year, went to Corvallis, Oregon, to attend the Oregon Agricultural College and take up more extensive work in chemistry, electrical engineering and mechanical drawing and from the record that he has made in his business and school training, we predict a great future for him and his friends wonder if he will be able to outstrip his father in winning laurels. Harold Simeon, a lad of fourteen, full of zeal and enthusiasm, finished the eighth grade last year and was successful in passing the highest test in scholarship in Canyon county. His average was 96 per cent.

The Emmett Index in speaking of the hard contest, says: "Harold Simeon Hunt, the second son of Ernest Erwin Hunt, of the Hunt-Greene Mercantile Company, of Emmett, Idaho, a lad of thirteen years, passed the highest test in the eighth grade examination in Canyon county, making an average of 96 per cent, in all of his studies. He is a bright, jovial, healthy boy and is full of ambition and is a favorite among those who know him. He is one of the helpers in the store and can sell as many goods as many experienced clerks who are his seniors. He is an amateur on the piano and is very fond of music. He owns a horse and cow and takes great pleasure in caring for them besides joining in the sports of the other boys. He is energetic and much credit is due him and his teacher, Miss Wayman. Work to him is just like play and he enters into it with a vim and an incentive to accomplish greater and better honors. He says he will not be satisfied till he is President of the United States. He is saving his money and expects to enter the Agricultural College next year. Let us hope that his every ambition will be realized and that he will outstrip all others in the work he has undertaken and win for himself a great name in American history." Lloyd Ernest is just past eleven years old but he is like the other two brothers in the mercantile world and can sell goods as well as any one, being exceedingly accurate in all his transactions. He is in the eighth grade and is trying to gain a better average in his studies than has either of his brothers or his father. He is a violinist and can render soft, sweet music that excels that of many who have had years of training. His teachers, Mrs. Governor Hunt and Prof. Max Guenther declare that he has a great talent and that with the proper training with them he will be a second Paganini as he is imbued with a great taste for music. It will be well to watch this lad and see if he does not eclipse Spohr, Joachim or Siveri.

He has a bank account in his own name and writes checks to pay his own bills, so that independence, thrift and the western spirit of enthusiasm to advance in the world are all his. He is a lover of nature and lives much in the open. Mildred Annabel, the eight year old little lady, is in the fourth grade and is taking lessons from her mother in all lines of housework and decorative art, in which the latter is an adept. Her work is not to be excelled by that of many girls who are older. She is a great favorite with her teachers and friends, and is a student of music and drawing, being quite skillful in the latter art. Evelyn Idaho is but five years of age yet she can do her part in the kitchen and housework is only play for her. She takes care of the smaller ones and is a perfect little mother. She is often spoken of as being the handsomest girl in the state. Robert Henry, who is named for his father's partner. Dr. R. H. Greene, is only two years old, but he is the constant companion of his father and takes his turn at the work in the store, in his babyish way trying to brush, sweep and mark the goods as do the other boys. Last, but not least, is the sweet faced little Olive who is the joy of the household and a treasure in the home. To say that Mr. Hunt has a model family, in whom he has just cause to be proud, is voicing the sentiment of all who know him, and it is the wish of his many friends that all the joys and success consonant to their supreme happiness will be meted out to them tenfold.

Mr. Hunt is a member of Boise Lodge No. 2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Ada Lodge No. 3, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Woodmen of the World, Camp No. 150, of Boise, Idaho; Modern Woodmen of America, Camp No. 6453, of Caldwell, Idaho. He is also a Rebekah and is a member of the Christian church, in which he is an elder. He is an ardent, zealous worker in all church and benevolent societies, and takes a great interest in politics, being a Republican, but liberal in his views, who like Thomas A. Edison thinks that: "There are a lot of people who die in the head after they are fifty. They are the ones who get shocked if you propose anything that wasn't going when they were boys. It's the way the world goes—the young push ahead and do things, and the old stand back. I hope I'll always be with the young. We have got past that age, and we might as well talk about smashing all the steam engines and electric lights and going back to stage coaches and candles."

Mr. Hunt has had many opportunities to fill public offices but has refrained because his large business interests needed his entire attention at home and he thinks he can best serve the people by being out among them. He is a leader and a "booster." He has traveled through the east, west and many of the southern states and is well versed with conditions as they present themselves in these localities, and is therefore able to discuss local conditions from a wider experience and can cope with any of the leading statesmen of the state. He is a true Westerner, typical of the men who have lived among the dangers of a frontier country. One incident that he relates which came before his eyes in Weiser, Idaho, in the days when "might was right," and justice was meted out to the man who would transgress the law as follows: "A farmer came to town and during the course of the evening a barber struck him on the head with a hammer and killed him. The barber was put in the old frame jail to await the time of the trial but some thought the law was too slow and the expense too great and an order was passed around that a hemp ribbon would be used and all who wanted to participate in the affair were requested to don their attire and get busy. Accordingly, during the night which was about as cold as a Greenland night, men with flour sacks around their ears and noses to keep them from freezing, gathered about the jail and demanded the key to the situation but the jailer was so determined to protect his prisoner that he drew his two Colts pistols, demanded that they give the law its course, and throwing himself in front of the door, waited for their approach. He talked and reasoned but to no avail. They were set and determined. In a few moments he was overpowered, the door was broken open and a hasty retreat was made toward the hills north of the town. The next morning, the man was hanging to the butcher windlass in a denuded, bruised and mangled condition—dead. From appearances, one would be led to believe that the body had been dragged over the frozen ground as pieces of lacerated flesh could be seen all along the way the procession went and flour sacks were in abundance all through the sage brush from the schoolhouse to the hills. Judge Lynch had exercised his authority."

Another story which Mr. Hunt tells is characteristic of that rough time. He says, "While mining in Idaho county, in an early day, it was the custom among the miners to keep the latch string on the door always hanging on the outside (no door was ever latched, winter or summer) and any valuables were left on the table or the shelf. Provisions were always in the cabin and it was the custom for any to enter, stay over night, eat, take enough for the day or to last to the next cabin, but to molest nothing. The gold dust was washed and laid on the table cloth or put into the old baking powder can and it was no uncommon sight to see half a dozen piles of the shiny metal on the table awaiting the time to take it to a trading post or to the assay office to be turned into money. One day, some of the dust was missing, after a strange man had stayed over night and accepted the hospitality of the miner's home. The word was passed among the denizens of the mountains and a hasty pursuit followed. He was overtaken and was left suspended to a limb to remind anyone who could not visit the haunts of the genial mountaineer and accept his hospitality and take his departure without purloining his earnings, had better vamoose. At Florence, Elk City, Warren and many of the pioneer mining camps, it was no uncommon day's work for one man to fill a one pound baking can with gold dust taken from the grass roots. Fortunes were made in a day and wild excitement reigned."

As some of his own experiences Mr. Hunt recounts the following: "In 1885, I was engaged to teach school in a district where there was a round-up of cattle, lasting for about six weeks in the spring and it was a great sight to see the cowboys ride the bucking broncho, throw his lasso on the maverick and ply the branding iron. One man with the rope would catch the calf and another lasso the feet and then each man on horseback, going in opposite directions would stretch the animal out on its side while a third man would apply the brand. Everything would go well until a tenderfoot was brought to camp and then something was doing all the time. He had to be initiated to the mystic shrines of cowboyism and great preparations were made preparatory to seeing him ride the bucking Cayuse, which was awaiting him. If he were successful and could brave the dangers incident to the camp; he was at once crowned Rex, and all was well with him. but alas, if he did not hold on and stick to the saddle, through the ceremonies, it were better for him to absquatulate with unproceeded onceness, for he was too pristine for the frontier. After the ceremonies were over, a big feast always followed and the fellow-craft had free access to the good things of the camp and all would do him honor. All of them had plenty of money and they always spent it lavishly. They were a free hearted, hospitable set; ready at all times to help the deserving, to defend the weak and distressed, but loathed the despicable wretch who poses as a human being. Many of the boys were cattlemen and they looked forward to these spring round-ups as one of the greatest gala days of their lives.

"In the journey across the plains in an early day, dangers and distress abounded all the way. Coming through the Indian nations, up the Arkansas river, horse thieves were ahead and behind our train, and people were ruthlessly murdered and their wagons plundered while the skulking half-breeds lay in wait for an opportune time to run away with the stock, steal the women and girls and commit such other fiendish, brutal crimes as only the savage perpetrate. According to our compact, no one was permitted to talk to strangers except our leader, who was an old plainsman and said he had crossed three times previous to our trip. Strange people would ride up and try to scare the teams or another bunch of them would ride by and try to trade horses with us for something that we had so they could get into a quarrel which usually ended in bloodshed. These bandits made their living by pilfering and plundering and were ever ready to commit any heinous crime. Each night our wagons were formed in a circle and everything was kept inside during the night. The teams were chained to the wagons wheels on the inside of the circle and men paced the line as sentries and changed every three hours during the night so that a picket was on guard all of the time. Our men were subject to orders from our leader just the same as soldiers would be. While depredations were committed ahead and back of us, our thirty-two wagons were not molested by these high handed villains. It was told to us that one of the young men in a party just in the rear of our train saw an old squaw on the opposite side of the river from them and thought how nice it would be to say that he had killed an Indian, leveled his carbine, took aim and fired and she rolled over to the edge of the water—dead. Soon lights were seen all along the hillside and the Indians began to gather. The next morning, the braves came to the place from where the shot was fired and demanded the person who did the shooting, with the promise that if such a one was given over to them peaceably they would not molest any of them, but if they did not, no mercy would be showed to anyone till they had all met a like fate. Pleadings were in vain and the white people had to deliver the young man to them despite the wailings and moanings of his aged mother, his young wife, and his friends, who stood by and saw them take him to the exact spot where lay the old Indian woman, where they had him lashed to a tree, and with knives slit his flesh in strings and skinned him alive. They said his cries and his agony was most pitiful and he died an ignominious death at the hands of the savages.

"A train drove on the ferry on Platte river on Thursday before we came on Saturday and everyone was lost save one man who swam to the shore. He said the ferry cable was too slack, and the mules beginning to run some of them went over and that lipped the boat, killing and drowning them in one great mass. A like incident happened the next day after we crossed the Green river. It was raining in the evening when we crossed and being at a late hour, we drove out a mile or two and camped for the night. The heavy rains in the mountains caused the river to rise very fast and the next morning the drunken old ferryman did not tighten the cable so that when the wagons drove on the ferry, he did not notice the trouble till he was far out on the river and could not control the boat. In the middle of the stream the boat capsized, drowning all but a few of the good swimmers. New graves could be seen all along the roadside and many families in destitute circumstances greeted our eyes at nearly every turn in the road. Heart rending scenes met Ds on many occasions and the appalling loss of some mother who had lost her son or the father, on whom she leaned for support, presented a sad spectacle for a lad of my age, and one long to be remembered. Vehicles of all descriptions could be seen and the teams were of various kinds. Cattle were hooked up with the horses or the mules, while the members of the family had to walk to help lighten the load that was being carried across the desert. Large barrels, filled with water were fastened to the sides of the wagon? and when long drives were made it had to be used very sparingly. Our guide knew all of the watering places so that we had the advantage of the ones who were travelling promiscuously across the great barren waste. He was so well acquainted that when he would drive up to one of the overland stage stands, they would say, 'Hello, Bill,' and he visited with them or borrowed something from them as if they were his neighbors. I do believe that I walked more than two-thirds of the distance and when I think about it my feet hurt yet from the sand burs in the hot sand. We were four and one-half months making the trip to Boise, which was but a small village at that time, and all the country adjacent was but sparsely settled. The railroad promoters were platting the town of Caldwell, while Weiser was but a few houses. If one could have foreseen the future of Idaho, at that time, and could have made investments in lands, they would now have been immensely wealthy. Idaho has blossomed like the rose and where the big sage brush did grow are beautiful homes and great, fruit bearing orchards, dotted here and there by towns, linked by the iron bands over which trains speed and make greater distances in one day than we did with our old oxen in a month, with those old squeaky, lynch-pin wagons, with their old white covers that made them look like prairie schooners. But all the hardships of my youth have only helped me to better understand and enjoy the greater advantages that we have now. I would not want to live them over again, but can look back through the dim past, down the vista of years, and single out those days as of great experiences and intelligence never to be forgotten."

[HISTORY OF IDAHO VOLUME II; BY HIRAM T. FRENCH, M. S.; Publ. 1914; Transcribed and submitted to Genealogy Trails by Andrea Stawski Pack.]

ERNEST F. HUNT
Among those whose activities in the mercantile field have served to give prestige in their various communities, the name of Ernest F. Hunt, of Meridian has a conspicuous place. The son of a merchant, reared in the atmosphere of trade and commerce, and following that vocation from the time when he first began his business career, when he decided upon Meridian as his field of operations, he brought to this city a wide and practical knowledge of his business that has served to materially advance the commercial importance of this section. His energies have not been wholly confined to the business of which he is the directing head, however, for he has at all times found leisure to interest himself in behalf of public movements, and his reputation as a public-spirited citizen is only equaled by the high regard in which he is held among his business associates. Mr. Hunt was born September 17, 1871, at Quincy, Illinois, and is a son of Samuel R. and Mary Frances (Hardy) Hunt. His father, a native of New York, brought the family west as far as Kansas in 1871, and there first began work as a carpenter, a trade which he had learned in his youth. Subsequently, however, he established himself in a mercantile business at Peabody, Kansas, and he continued to be a successful merchant throughout the remainder of his life, his death occurring at Lawrence, Kansas, May 13, 1912, when he had reached the ripe old age of eighty-three years. His wife, also a native of the Empire State, died in Kansas in 1898. They had a family of seven children, of whom Ernest F. was the next to the youngest.

Ernest F. Hunt was still an infant when taken to Kansas by his parents, and there his education was secured in the pioneer schools of Peabody. On completing his educational training, he at once was initiated into the details of the mercantile business in the store of his father, and eventually he opened a store of his own, which he conducted with uniform success for about ten years. At that time he disposed of his interests and came to Idaho, locating in Boise, from which city he traveled for three years as a salesman for the Shaw Advertising Company. On leaving the employ of that concern, Mr. Hunt came to Meridian and opened a small mercantile establishment, which has since been developed into one of the leading enterprises of its kind in this part of Ada county. As a business man there may be said to be three excellent reasons why Mr. Hunt has attained success -- energy, system, and practical knowledge. It has ever been his policy to give to his patrons the best of quality, and his stock compares favorably with that of the large stores all over the state. His sterling integrity and honesty of purpose have gained him many friends and the confidence of his patrons, and no man is more highly esteemed in his community.

In 1892 Mr. Hunt was married in Kansas to Miss Anna M. Nusbaum, and to this union there have been born five children: Helen, born in 1894 in Kansas, a graduate of the Meridian public and high schools; Hazel, born in 1896, in Kansas, and now attending the schools of Meridian; Herma, born in 1899, in Kansas, also a student here; Fred, born in 1903, in Boise, Idaho, and a scholar in the graded schools; and Frank, born in 1907, in Boise. Mr. Hunt has always had supreme confidence in the future welfare of Idaho, and his faith in Meridian's development as a commercial and industrial center of importance, as well as his high abilities, have caused him to be elected to the office of secretary of the Meridian Commercial Club. His fraternal connection is with the Odd Fellows, and in political matters he is a Republican, but has not found time to enter the public arena. When he can command leisure from his business activities, he is usually found at his comfortable residence, of which he is very fond, although like all virile men of the west, outdoor life and sports also attract him. Mrs. Hunt belongs to the Methodist church, where her numerous friends testify cheerfully to her popularity.

Source:  "A History of Idaho" by Hiram T. French, Volume III, published by The Lewis Publishing Company, 1914.

Submitted by Don Tharp








home.jpg

Copyright Genealogy Trails 2012
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.