ALEXANDER COUNTY SCHOOLS

ILLINOIS GENEALOGY TRAILS

CURRENT SCHOOLS IN THE COUNTY

OLD SCHOOLS

TAMMS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI, 1923-1951

TAMMS ALUMNI NEWS

"TAMMS ECHOES" NEWSPAPER FROM 1946

THEBES ALUMNI ASSOCIATION

THEBES TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI, 1915-1942

THEBES TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI, 1946-1961

THEBES HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI, 1962-68

YEARBOOKS


CURRENT SCHOOLS

Cairo Junior-Senior High School

Bennett Elementary School-Cairo

Emerson Elementary-Cairo

Egyptian High School-Tamms

Egyptian Elementary School-Tamms


OLD SCHOOLS NO LONGER IN USE

Here we list schools that were once active in the county, including the one-room schools.
If you know of any I have missed, please send them to me and the location, if known.
Also send any other information you may have about the school.
(Please note: This is not intended to be a complete list.)

SCHOOL

LOCATION

BLAND SCHOOL

This school was located just north of Tamms on Route 127.
It was a school for black students grades 1-8 until probably
the 1950s.

BROWNVILLE SCHOOL

Near Thebes and the Beech Grove Church

CACHE SCHOOL

On Route 127 at the former community of Cache

CAIRO JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL

In Cairo-Closed about 2003

CAIRO PUBLIC SCHOOL OF THE 1800 --

CAMELOT SCHOOL

In Cairo-This was a private school.
Closed a number of years ago.

CAUBLE SCHOOL

Northwest of Elco. This one-room school was built in 1861.
It fell into decay many years ago.

CLEAR CREEK SCHOOL --

DELTA SCHOOL

On the Old Delta Road just north of the Grapevine Trail
where the Delta Community use to exist.

DOUGLAS SCHOOL Corner of Douglas and Walnut Streets, Cairo

ELCO SCHOOL

In Elco--This was a three-room school
which was active until about 1964 when it
consolidated with Tamms and became part of the
Egyptian Community Unit School District

ELMWOOD SCHOOL

In Cairo

FAYVILLE SCHOOL

In the Fayville area

GALE SCHOOL

In the village of Gale--The building doesn't exist anymore. 
It was torn down in the 1980s.

GARRISON SCHOOL

At 33rd and Popular in Cairo

GERMAN SCHOOL
Cairo

GOOSE ISLAND SCHOOL

On Goose Island in 1899.

HAZELWOOD SCHOOL

Between Tamms and Elco on the Newell Road.
This school was built in 1881 and was active until
the late 1950s.

HODGES PARK

In the Hodges Park community.

HUFFMAN SCHOOL

It was built in 1880.

HULEN SCHOOL

 Diswood area

LINCOLN SCHOOL

In Cairo

 LONDON SCHOOL

Near Olive Branch

MC CLURE GRADE SCHOOL

Now a part of Shawnee School District

MC CLURE HIGH SCHOOL

In Mc Clure

MC CRAVEN SCHOOL

Between McClure and Thebes

MC DANIEL SCHOOL

On the Mc Daniel School Road west of Tamms

OLIVE BRANCH GRADE SCHOOL

In Olive Branch

OLIVE BRANCH HIGH SCHOOL

In Olive Banch

PALMER SCHOOL

Was located five miles west of Elco in 1882
on the Richard Palmer farm.

PENCE SCHOOL

In the Rock Springs area.
The school building is no longer there.

SAFFORD SCHOOL

Located in Cairo.

ST. COLUMBA GRADE SCHOOL

14th Street near Washington, Cairo

ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC GRADE SCHOOL

Located at 421 Cross St., Cairo.  Closed in 1980s or early 

1990s.  Principal listed: Louis Fortenberry

ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL

Located at 421 Cross St., Cairo. Closed 1952.

ST. PATRICK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Located at 312 9th St, Cairo.

SUMNER HIGH SCHOOL

Located at 2207 Popular Street in Cairo. This was a black
school. It closed in 1967.

TAMMS GRADE SCHOOL

In Tamms

TAMMS HIGH SCHOOL/
ALEXANDER COUNTY CENTRAL

Located in Tamms.
It was changed from Tamms H. S. to Alexander County
Central when it was integrated about 1953.  

THEBES GRADE SCHOOL

Located in Thebes. Closed in 1968 when it consolidated
with Egyptian Community Unit School District.

THEBES HIGH SCHOOL

Located in Thebes. Closed in 1968 when it consolidated
with Egyptian Community Unit School District.

TWENTE SCHOOL

  Located northwest of Olive Branch
on the Twente Crossing Road

UNITY SCHOOL

Located in the Unity Community.

UPPER ELCO SCHOOL

Located near the Alexander-Union County line
north of Elco. It was active until 1958.

WASHINGTON SCHOOL

Located in Cairo--This was an all black school,
sitting where they built Bennett School.

WHITE POND SCHOOL

This was a school for Black students.
It was in existence in the 1880s.
May have been located near the White Pond farm
northeast of Tamms toward Ullin.

YOUNG SCHOOL

Located in Sandusky--this was a black school
located on the road past Dominges store. It was
integrated into Tamms School in the 1950s.

 

Return To The Main Page

©2005-2016 Anna Newell, Illinois Genealogy Trails