Alexander County/Illinois Genealogy Trails
DIARY OF SALMON HAZELWOOD
GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC (GAR)
PULASKI AND ALEXANDER COUNTY DECENDANTS' RECORDS
(on our Pulaski County site)
SOLDIERS BURIED IN COUNTY
There were a lot of Alexander County men who served during the Civil War. Please send your additions to this list and tell the Company they served with and where they are buried. These soldiers still deserve to be honored.
W.S. DAMON, Co. M, 6th Illinois Cav. (Husband of Allie.)
William J. DAMRON, Co. E, 18th Illinois Inf.
R. M. EDMONSON, Co. M, 6th Illinois Cav.
H. C. LONHEINNE, Recruit, 19th U. S. Infantry.
David DAVIDSON, b. Dec. 25, 1840; d. June 7, 1908; Co. K., 122 Ill. Inf.
John Henry FOSTER, Pvt. Co. B, 2nd MO Cavalry, CSA, b. Aug 4, 1843 (MO); d. Mar. 7, 1891.
John W. WILLARD, Co. H., 81 IL INF.
Henry Clay BASS, b. Oct. 3, 1844; d. Jul 28, 1909.
William HARVELL, Corpl, Co. E., 31 Ill. Inf.
DENFIP, John Alfred, Sr., b. Apr 2, 1832; d. Aug 16, 1880; Co. B, 18th Ill Inf Vol.
All of these served in the Union Army. Special thanks to Linda Cox for information from Database of Illinois Civil War Veterans and the United States National Archives, Civil War Compiled Military Service Records.
1. Corpl. Carroll ALLEN, Co. A., 11th Ill. Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Corpl.
2. F. W. BURKE, Alton Battn, IL Inf. (Franklin W. Burk)
3. Miles CAUBLE, b. Oct. 4, 1842; d. Feb. 19, 1890; Enlisted in Co. E. Go. Ms. Inf.; served 3 yrs. Was Commander of Elco Post No. 547 G.A.R. at time of his death.
4. John H. COLP, Co. H., 31st Ill. Inf.; Induction-Drummer; Discharge-Private.
5. William A. DAILEY, Co. K, 15th ILL Inf., Induction-Sergeant; Discharge-Sergeant; b. Nov 5, 1843; d. Nov. 28, 1883.
6. Jeremiah B. DAVIS, Co. F, 144 Ill. Inf.; Induction-Sergeant; Discharge-Sergeant.
7. David T. HALL, Co. F., 15th KY Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
8. Matthew HARMON (Mathias HERMANN), Co. A, Scott Co., Reg., MO Home Guard; 8th Reg 22nd Inf., Co. B, MO State Militia; b. Sept. 28, 1835 Germany; d. Oct. 21, 1910 Pulaski Co, IL. (unmarked grave) Information donated by: Teresa Holcomb. (Co. C, 5th Missouri Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Private. Information donated by Linda Cox.)
9. Joshua HAZLEWOOD, Co. K, 9th Ill. Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
10. Salmon HAZLEWOOD, Co. E, 60th Ill. Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Private; b, Apr 8, 1834; d. Feb. 16, 1923.
11. Corp. L. Reason HEATER, Co. A., 15th ILL Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Corporal.
12. John HURSTON, Co. E, 60th Ill. Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private; b. Dec. 12, 1820; d. Feb. 25, 1881.
13. Samuel HURSTON, Co. B. 29th IL Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
14. John F. IRELAND, Co. A, 15th Ill. Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Private, d. May 5, 1912.
15. Thomas M. LITTLETON, Co. A, 116 Ill. Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Musician, b. Oct. 21, 1840; d. Mar. 4, 1929.
16. Milo P. MARBLE, Co. G, 129th Ill. Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
17. Tapley W. MCRAVEN, Co. B., 18th Ill. Inf.; Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
18. James L. SACKETT, Co. F., 153 Ill. Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private; b. Dec.20, 1831; d. Jan. 1, 1899.
19. Thos. B. SCARBROUGH, Co. C, 2 MO. S. M. Cav., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
20. John SMITHEY, Co. H., 11th ILL Inf., Induction-Rec.
21. C. C. THOMAS, Co. A., 15 ILL Inf., Induction-Saddler; Discharge-Private. Carlton C. THOMAS, Co. E., 60 th ILL Vol. Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private; b. Apr 6, 1829; d. Nov. 7, 1889.
22. Leroy THOMAS, Co. E., 60th ILL Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
23. George W. THOMPSON, Co. E. 60th ILL Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Private.
24. Corp. John THOMPSON, Co. A., 15 th ILL Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Corporal; b. Apr 8, 1833; d. May 8, 1904.
25. Thomas WHITAKER, Co. H, 13th ILL Cav Volunteers; enlisted Dec. 31, 1863 at Colona, IL; b. Feb 12, 1812; d. May 17, 1884.
26. Wilson H. WHITAKER, son of T. & M. Whitaker, b. Oct. 28, 1840; d. May 16, 1864 at Memphis, TN; aged 23 yrs, 8 mo. 18 days; Co. G., 11th Ill. Vol. Inf., Induction-Private; Discharge-Sergeant. (Must have died in the war.)
27. William W. WHITE, b. Jan. 9, 1847; d. ?Jan. 12, 1931.
(Some of these soldiers were Confederate soldiers. For more information see the Military page at the Illinois Genealogy Trails Main site: http://genealogytrails.com/ill/)
William HULEN, Pvt., Co. A, 8th Arkansas Infantry, CSA, b. Jan. 1, 1825; d. Nov. 30, 1892.
William R. KING, b. Apr 4, 1834; d. Mar. 4, 1900 (date may be Nov. 1, 1891)
William LIPE, Private, Co. A, 60 Reg. Inft. Vol. 3 Yrs. of the late war of the reb., d. Apr. 18, 1909, Aged 70 Yrs.
James M. SITTON, Pvt., Co. D, 39th NC Infantry, CSA, b. Dec. 30, 1844 (MO); d. Dec. 20, 1919.
Ezekiel SMALLING, Co. A, 1st Ala. Cav. (Ryan Dupree believes that this was a union veteran and that no one realized that there was a 1st Alabama Cavalry (Union).Check out this website for more information: (http://www.1stalabamacavalryusv.com/roster/troopers.asp?trooperid=2056.)
John A. ABERNATHIE, Co. A, 15 IL CAV.
Cornelius DENTON, SGT, Co. F, 60 IL INF.
Samuel A. MCGEE, Co, H, 15 IL CAV.
Thomas REAMS, Co. F, 29 IL INF.
James A. TAYLOR, Co. F., 46 IL INF.
James D. ROBBS, Co. G, 6 Reg. Illinois Cavalry; b. Nov. 5, 1829; d. Dec. 19, 1872. Donated by Great-granddaughter, Sharon Robbs Brown.
Charles J. O. ROUSSEL, Sergeant, 29TH MO INF, CO G, UNION. Donated by great-grandson, Dean Williams.
Burwell WARD, CO. l, 13 IL CAV.
OLIVE BRANCH CEMETERY
Joseph W. DEXTER, SGT, CO B, 12 KY CAV, b. Sept. 15, 1841; d. Oct. 23, 1934.
James A. LOWE, TN, PVT, 9 INF, May 2, 1932.
Benjamin F. WILBOURN, CO. D., 50 MO INF.
Thomas J. HAVELL, Co. I, 18 IL INF.
Andrew J. LOLLESS, Co. G, 130 IL INF.
David Y. PEARCE, Co. F., 31 IN INF.
George A. BERRY
Alf. D. MITCHELL, Co. N, 9th ILL. INF.
J. L. NEWSOM, Co. F, 11th Illinois Inf.
James BOGER, Co. H, 77 IL INF.
Alex CRITE, Co. H, 77 IL INF.
Warren, DUNN, Co. G, 77 IL INF.
James W. DURHAM, d. May 6, 1902, Age 62 Yrs. 4 Mos. 12 Days; Co. G, 11th Ill. Inf.
Alexander JORDAN, Co. B., 109th and Co. G. 11th Inf., b. Nov. 26, 1843; d. July 21, 1914.
Thomas B. PHILLIPS, Co. H, 117 Illinois Inf.
John SWIDDY, Co. H., 77 IL INF.
A. J. "Jack" BROWN, b. 1841; d. July 27, 1908. CPL, Co. B, 29 IL INF. (see obit)
John BROWN, b. Oct. 11, 1844; d. Apr. 25, 1928; Co. A, 3 Tenn. MOT INF.
Richard BROWN, 31 Ohio Inf.
Marshall BUSTER, Co. A, 10 Tenn. Cav.
Alfred CORCINE, Co. G, 77 IL INF.
Green P. GARNER, Sgt. Co. B., 29 ILL INF.
Matthew HOLMES, d. Apr. 6, 1885, Co. C. M G Reg. Inf. Ills. Inf.
Jesse IRELAND, Co. B., 21 A. Cav.
Elijah M. JORDAN, Co. M, 8 Ill. Cav., b. Feb. 18, 1846; d. Oct. 9, 1927.
John P. KELLEY, Co. M, 6 ILL. CAV.
William KING, b. 1842; d. 1924, Co. D. 122nd Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Inf.
Issac Milton MCENELLY, b. c1840; d. Sept. 5, 1899, Co. C, 128th Reg., Ill. Vol.
Jas. MILLER, Co. B., 29 Ill. Inf.
John OBERTS, Co K, 9 ILL INf.
William H. RALLS, Co. H., 120 Ill. Inf., b. June 27, 1847; d. Jan. 6, 1933.
William H. RISELING, Co. K, MS MAR BRIG INF.
Valentine TACKETT, b. July 9, 1829; d. Oct. 14, 1905. Enlisted 1861 into 14th KY Vol. Inf., Discharged June 17, 1865. Joined Brown Culley Post No. 571 GAR May 22, 1886.
©2005-2015 Anna Newell, Illinois Genealogy Trails