Welcome to Genealogy Trails - Helping you Find Illinois Ancestors
1908 Business Directory
Source: "Historical stories: about Greenville and Bond County, IL"
Written in 2000, By Allan H. Keith, Published ©2002
Used with permission


A 93-year-old city directory contains a wealth of information about people and businesses in Greenville nearly a century ago.

The 1908-1909 edition of "Moore's Standard Directory" was published by S. H. Moore Co., based in New York City.

The book contains, among things, lists of county officials, firemen and postal employees.

Bond County officials included William H. Dawdy, county judge; George L. Meyer, state's attorney; Joseph M. Brown, sheriff; John L. Bunch, circuit clerk; Warren E. McCaslin, county clerk; R. K. Dewey, county surveyor; Dr. Don V. Poindexter, coroner; Henry A. Meyer, county superintendent of schools; C. E. Cook, master in chancery; and H. W. Blizzard, county treasurer.

Post office employees included W. W. Lowis, postmaster; C. F. Thraner, assistant postmaster; H. N. Baumberger, clerk; G. L. Snowden, stamper; J.O. Wafer and J. L. McCracken, city carriers; F. L. Nelson, substitute carrier; and H. H. Staub, M. B. Kirkham, J. C. Sanderson, H. H. Hentz and L. M. Loyd, rural carriers.

Post office hours were 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily; 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.on Saturdays, and 9 am. to 10:30 a.m. on Sundays.

The Greenville fire department officials included J. L. McCracken, chief; Albert White, first assistant; Al Chamberlain, second assistant; H. M. Baumberger, captain, chemical engine; and C. F. Thraner, secretary and treasurer.

Firemen were Elmer White,Frank Blanchard, J. Buscher, W. H. Betterton, Philip Diehl, J. Dowell, F. Dowell, Lee Loyd, Carl Davis, G. L. Loggin, James Mulford, Fred Floyd, Ad Near, George Price, Frank Hentz, Charles Lapp, George Player, Louis Senn, Wilber Gast, Charles Gum, L. M. Loyd, Guy Carr, and J. F. Johnston,

Churches included the First Baptist on E. South, the Episcopal on S. Third, the First M. E. on S. Second, the Free Methodist at Elm and College, the First Presbyterian on E. Main, the Christian on E. Main, St. Lawrence Catholic on S. Prairie, the Plymouth Church on W. College and the "Colored Church" on S. Prairie.

Greenville businesses in 1908 were listed in the directory.

Grocers included the East End Grocery at Locust and Main, Hawley Bros. at 109 S. Third, F. P. Joy and Co. at College and Second, Frank Kershner at 221 S. Third, McClain and Cable at Second and Main, Mack and Mack (McCracken and McGraw) at 832 S. Second, the Star Store at 213-217 College and Levi Sutton at 915 Washington.

Meat markets included Philip Diehl at 111 S. Third and F. E. Mier at Second and College.

Produce was offered by W. C. Anthony at 505 S. Third and F. L. Palmer at 211 W. College.

Bakeries were the City Bakery at 114 S. Second and Frank Parent at 108 N. Second.

Confectionery listings included the Busy Bee Store at 104 N. Second, the City Bakery, Frank Kershner, the Model Restaurant at 119 N. Third, Frank Parent, and Tony's Kandy Kitchen on W. Main.

Restaurants included the City Bakery, the Model Restaurant, Frank Parent and the Railroad Restaurant (also known as the Hastings Restaurant) at 913 S. Second.

Listed as clothiers were F. P. Joy and Co., the Star Store, and Wise-Cox and Titus at 203 College.

Clothing could be cleaned, pressed and repaired by E. Riedemann at 103 S. Third, W. L. Harper at 115 S. Second, and John Johnson on W.Main.

Tailors included E. Riedemann and John Johnson. Notions stores were the Broken Dollar Store at 114 N. Second, Mack and Mack, and the Red Front Notion Store at 212 Main.

Dry goods and notions were offered by F. P. Joy and Co. and the Star Store. Both were also listed as department stores

Millineries included Mrs. J. L. Bunch at 111 N. Third, Elizabeth Guthrie at 606 E. Oak, Mary Palmer at 501 Well, Irma Riedlinger on S. Elm and the Star Store.

Furniture was sold by W. D. Donnell and Co. at 205 College and by J. J. Potthast at 116-118 S. Second.

An express company was Adams Express at 117 S. Second.

Druggists included Frank E. Watson at 214 W. Main, Davis and Jackson at 211 College and Mulford and Monroe at College and Third.

All three also sold books and stationery, as well as Oudyn's Book Store at 109 N. Third.

Hardware was sold by J. V. Dixon at Second and Main, J. Seaman Hardware Co. at 105-107 Third and Wallace-Brice Hardware Co. at 108 E. Main.

Lumber yards were Greenville Lumber Co. at Fourth and Washington and John S. Breuchaud on S. Second near the Vandalia railroad depot. Breuchaud was the only listing under grain elevators.

Listed under plumbing and steamfitting were Charles M. Durre and Co. at 108 S. Second and Wallace-Brice Hardware. Listed under plumbing was J. Seaman Hardware.

A machine shop was Greenville Horse Shoeing and Carriage Repair Shop at Fourth and Summer.

Livery stables were Dressor's Livery at Third and Summer, J. H. Adams at 217 N. Second, Frank Hentz at 119 S. Third and N. B. Jernigan at Second and South.

Blacksmiths were the Greenville Horse Shoeing and Carriage Repair Shop, W. P. Andrews at Second and Spring, Barr and Thornburg at Third and Summer and Samuel Mueller at Third and Spring.

Buggies and implements were sold by J. V. Dixon and J. Seaman Hardware.

Listed under buggy and wagon repairing were Barr and Thornburg and Greenville Horse Shoeing and Carriage Repair Shop.

Listed under harness shops were F. H. Wheeler on W. College and J. Seaman Hardware.

A draying and trucking firm was City Transfer line on South.

Hay and Grain was sold by John S. Breuchaud and by L. D. Mange at Fourth and Franklin.

Hides were offered by W. C. Anthony. Ice and fuel dealers were F. N. Blanchard and Co. at 421 S.Second and William Leidel at 212 E. Vine.

Coal dealers were John Breuchaud, John Dagen on Railroad Ave., William Leidel and L. D. Mange.

Banks were the Bradford and Son at 116 N. Second and the State Bank of Hoiles and Sons at Main and Second.

An undertaker was W. D. Donnell and Co. at 205 College.

Jewelers were J. M. Hawley at 216 W. Main and Krause the Jeweler at 204 W, Main. Talking machines were offered by J. M. Hawley and by J. Seaman Hardware.

A laundry was Greenville Steam Laundry at 112 S. Third. Guns and ammunition were sold by J. V. Dixon.

Listed under amusements was the Nickelodium at 206 W. Main. Listed under billiards and pool was S. Wannamaugher on W. Main.

The gas and electric company was the Greenville Electric Gas and Power Co., with the office at 117 S. Second and its plant on S. Third.

Telephone companies were the Bond County Telephone Co. in the Masonic Temple Building and the Central Union Telephone Co. over the Hoiles bank.

The postal telegraph office was at 202 W. Main.

Newspapers were the Advocate at 312 W. College, the Item in the Bradford building and the Sun at 112 N. Second. Listed under marble and granite works was J. W. L Scott at 116-118 S. Third.

A shoe manufacturer, Mayer and Bannister, was on E. Main.

Banners, badges and lodge supply manufacturers were DeMoulin Bros. and Co. at 1021 S. Fourth and L. E. Alexander and Co. at Fifth and Summer.

Cigar manufacturers were Thomas D. Scheske at 222 N. Third and H. H. Wirz at 210 W. Main.

A canvas glove and mitten manufacturer was the Greenville Glove Manufacturing Co. on N. Second.

Milk condensers included Helvetia Milk Condensing Co. on Railroad Ave. and the Greenville Milk Condensing Co. at Third and Franklin.

Contractors (builders) included John T. Garrett, H. L. Martin, Edward T. Moon and Ernest Sohn.

Contractors (concrete) included Cleveland McVey and Alfred H. Near. A brick manufacturer was Greenville Lumber Co.

Hotels included Central Hotel at 109 S. Second, Thomas House at Second and South and Wheeler House at 100 E. College.

Listed under boarding houses were Lucy Cable at 505 S. Third, the Railroad House at 823 S. Second and Belle Stubblefield at 603 N. Locust. A rooming house was the Adams House at 214 N. Second.

Physicians included W. T. Easley, LeRoy Gullick, A. M. Keith, K. B. Luzader, E. P. Poindexter and Son, J. A. Warren and J.C. Wilson. Nurses were Mary Hawley Anna Heussy and Ann M. Merry.

Dentists were N. H. Jackson, Fred Jones and G. R. White.

Lawyers were James H. Allio, C. E. Cook, Fritz and Hoiles, W. H. Hubbard and H. W. Park.

Insurance (fire) was available from Winslow McCasland, Elvin W. Miller, Mitchell and Johnson, George O. Morris, Ward Reid, Frederick Sells and W. Sherman.

Insurance (general) was offered by Harlan and Gerke. Life insurance was sold by Frank Kershner.

Listed under real estate were James H. Allio, C. E. Cook, Rev. Charles A. Cusick, Harlan and Gerke, Winslow McCasland, Mitchell and Johnson, George Morris and W. Sherman.

Music teachers included Harriett Carson, Verna Fink (vocal), Carrie McCracken, Mrs. Jacob Moyer, Ida Plant and Anna Thraner.

Musical instruments, including pianos, were sold by J. M. Hawley.

Art teachers included Aldyth Barnes and Edith Worboys. Artists included Charles Gum, Minnie Mace and Rea Milo.

Dressmakers included Anna Adams, Lizzie Blanchard, Lena Clementz, Laura Collier, Alice Collis, Fannie Enloe, Jessie Jennie and Maude Henninger, Mabel Staub and Lila Young.

Barbers were Glenn Chlemer, Keesecker and Glenn, Paulding and Houck, J. W. Reddick and Frank Sample.

Painters and paperhangers were Martin Clark, Royal Collis, John Finney, John Gloss, James Mulford and Fred Soper. Photographers included D.P. McLeod and H. D. Cartmell.

(Allan H. Keith, formerly of Greenville, is a free-lance writer and lives in Mattoon.)


1930 Greenville Businesses
Source: "Historical stories: about Greenville and Bond County, IL"
Written in 2000, By Allan H. Keith, Published ©2002
Used with permission

Many Greenville businesses of 71 years ago were represented in the advertisements in the Graduate, the yearbook at Greenville High School.

One ad in the 1930 Graduate marked the end of the silent motion picture era. The Lyric Theater urged people to "hear and see our talking and singing pictures" and announced that no silent pictures would be shown after May 1, 1930.

The first advertisement in the yearbook was a full-page ad for Greenville College. It stated that a full 20 percent of the students at Greenville College were graduates of GHS.

The 1930 summer term was scheduled for June 11 to July 23. The college's fall term was to start on September 17.

Clothing stores were big advertisers. The Annex advertised hand-tailored suits for men and boys at $22.50. The Cox-Weise Clothing Co. offered suits starting at about the same price -- $22.45.

F. P. Joy and Co. offered Munsingwear underwear amd hosiery. Another ad promoted the George V. Weise Co.

Maynard's advertised silk hose and underwear. The Famous store sold clothing, shoes and furnishings.

Ford automobiles were sold by Dixon Motor Car Co. (starting at $435.) Dodge, Hudson and Essex autos were offered by Central Garage, located just west of the county courthouse. Frank Hentz sold Chrysler and Graham-Paige autos.

Furniture ads were placed by Fredman Brothers and by J. C. Harris.

W.D. Donnell was in the furniture and undertaking business. The Bass Funeral Home was at 316 W. Main.

Jewelers included Homer W. Baker and G. B. Jones.

Grocers included the A & P Store, Joy's Grocery, the Clementz Grocery, the East Side Grocery, the Beaumont Grocery (owned by R. W. Blizzard) and the Powell Market.

Greenville Service Co. offered Shell gas and oil. Other advertisers included Higgins Service Station and Stone Service Station, operated by G. L. Stone. (He was elected mayor of Greenville in 1931. The mayor in 1930 was George V. Weise.)

W. H. Smith operated a service station off State Highway 40. He advertised "furnished cottages with heat, $1.50 meals and cold drinks."

Banks included Bradford National Bank and the State Bank of Hoiles and Sons. Drug stores were Watson's (established in 1881) and O'Neal's.

DeMoulin Bros. and Co. manufactured uniforms, caps and gowns and felt goods, such as pennants and banners.

Nevinger's Radio and Electric Co. was located in Greenville and in Vandalia.

John L. Wise distributed Dixie feeds. Greenville Elevator Co. offered coal, flour, feed, potatoes, cabbage and grain.

There was an ad for Greenville Advocate job printing. Some other ads were by the Equity Union Print Shop, Cantine Coal, Hallam's beauty parlor, E. J. Breitenbach, Illinois Power and Light Service, Greenville Music Store, the Highway Cafe, PAF spark plugs, Harper's cleaner and dyer, Labhardt millinery shop, H. Fox hardware, the Economy Store and the Busy Bee Cafe (operated by J. P.Malan.)

Others included the Elite Barber Shop, barber William Mumpher, Bond County Gas Co., the Hygienic Ice Co., Charles A. Norlander, Ragland Transfer Co., J. F. Johnson real estate and Genre photography studio.

Insurance was offered by Baumberger-Leihser, by S. M. Harnetiaux and by H. A. Mathewson.

Physicians included L. J. Cordonnier, A. M. Keith, William L. Hall and H. D. Cartmell.

Dentists included N. H. Jackson, W. A. McCracken, C. W. Hallam and L. A. Floyd.

Attorneys advertising in the 1930 Graduate were George L. Meyer and J. H. Allio.


(Allan H. Keith, formerly of Greenville, is a free-lance writer and lives in Mattoon. allank@webtv.net)


BACK -- HOME

Genealogy Trails