This information was provided by Linda Stevens, a descendant of Samuel Shaw. All dates and places for living persons has been removed. For More Information on This Family, Please Contact Linda Stevens (Sina28@aol.com)
Generation No. 1
1. SAMUEL SHAW was born May 25, 1817 in Dronfield Derby England, and died October 20, 1877 in Bradford IL., Stark Co.. He married ANN ELIZA HARRINGTON November 29, 1841 in Bureau Co. IL., daughter of JAMES HARRINGTON and ELIZA SHEARMAN.
Notes for SAMUEL SHAW:
Samuel came to the U.S. in 1828 and settled in Providence RI. In 1837 he traveled to Providence IL., Bureau Co. Very likely he was a land speculator who bought land from War of 1812 veterans of Rhode Island Samuel owned large sections of land in Bureau, Stark and several other ILL. Counties.
Notes for ANN ELIZA HARRINGTON:
Ann Eliza Harrington Shaw was the first school teacher of the first day school in Providence ILL. ANN ELIZA HARRINGTON SHAW died in Jamaica Iowa in the home of her single daughter Anna Shaw.
Children of SAMUEL SHAW and ANN HARRINGTON are:
i. CHARLES2 SHAW.
ii. JOHN SHAW, b. 1842. More About JOHN SHAW: 1846, died 4 y/o
iii. MARY SHAW, b. 1843; m. BELA CURTIS.
2. iv. SARAH SHAW, b. February 07, 1846, ILL.; d. November 28, 1901, ILL..
v. AMY SHAW, b. 1847. More About AMY SHAW: m.? Andrews
3. vi. HANNAH SHAW, b. May 13, 1847, Bureau Co., ILL.; d. January 13, 1918, Jamaica, Iowa.
4. vii. JOHN BERNARD SHAW, b. May 02, 1849, Providence IL. Bureau Co.; d. November 21, 1920, Selma Ca..
5. viii. JAMES H. SHAW, b. December 27, 1850, Providence, Bureau Co. ILL.; d. September 16, 1916, Moorhead N.D..
ix. THOMAS SHAW, b. 1853. More About THOMAS SHAW: never married
x. ANN ELIZA SHAW, b. 1855. More About ANN ELIZA SHAW: never married
2. SARAH2 SHAW (SAMUEL1) was born February 07, 1846 in ILL., and died November 28, 1901 in ILL.. She married WESLEY FOSTER September 03, 1867 in Stark Co. ILL..
Children of SARAH SHAW and WESLEY FOSTER are:
i. EVA3 REED.
ii. MARY SPANGLER.
3. HANNAH2 SHAW (SAMUEL1) was born May 13, 1847 in Bureau Co., ILL., and died January 13, 1918 in Jamaica, Iowa. She married IRA C. REED August 27, 1870 in Bureau Co. ILL..
Children of HANNAH SHAW and IRA REED are:
i. ROY3 REED, m. SUSIE MOLLE, September 28,
1902, Cooper Iowa.
ii. TILLIE REED, m. HENRY OSCAR HOUVER, April 30, 1902, Jefferson Co. Iowa.
iii. MILLIE ETHEL REED, m. GUY R. TUCKER, February 20, 1900, Jefferson Co. Iowa.
iv. SUSIE REED, m. WILLIAM WALKER.
v. ROBERT REED, b. 1872, ILL.; d. 1908; m. MILLIE J. TUCKER.
vi. EVA ELLEN REED, b. 1876, ILL.; m. CHARLES DAVIS, March 25, 1898, Jefferson Co. Iowa.
4. JOHN BERNARD2 SHAW (SAMUEL1) was born May 02, 1849 in Providence IL. Bureau Co., and died November 21, 1920 in Selma Ca.. He married MARY JOSEPHINE LEACH September 14, 1876 in Princeton IL. Bureau Co..
Notes for MARY JOSEPHINE LEACH:
Went by nickname JOSIE SHAW.
Children of JOHN SHAW and MARY LEACH are:
i. LUELLA MAY3 SHAW, b. August 15, 1877.
ii. NELLIE SHAW, b. January 31, 1879.
iii. HATTIE B. SHAW, b. May 28, 1881; m. A L. WEATHERLY.
iv. GUY ELBERT SHAW, b. February 02, 1883.
v. GEORGE BERNARD SHAW, b. April 05, 1885.
vi. CHARLES FRANCIS SHAW, b. February 02, 1887; d. December 1906.
6. vii. ABBY HAZEL SHAW, b. May 08, 1890, Jefferson Iowa; d. October 06, 1965, Sullivan, Crawford Co. Mo..
viii. WAYNE LEACH SHAW, b. May 29, 1895; d. August 19, 1896.
ix. JAMES BERNARD SHAW, b. January 04, 1897.
5. JAMES H.2 SHAW (SAMUEL1) was born December 27, 1850 in Providence, Bureau Co. ILL., and died September 16, 1916 in Moorhead N.D.. He married BERTHA JOHNSON 1889 in Cass Co. N.D..
Children of JAMES SHAW and BERTHA JOHNSON are:
i. JOHN F.3 SHAW,
ii. JAMES H. SHAW
iii. FRED H. SHAW
6. ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW (JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) was born May 08, 1890 in Jefferson Iowa, and died October 06, 1965 in Sullivan, Crawford Co. Mo.. She married ROY KLYDE STEVENS February 17, 1911 in Sullivan, Crawford Co. Mo..
Notes for ABBY HAZEL SHAW:
My grandmothers family came from England to Rhode Island and then on to Illinois. They were successful farmers. Later grandmother's father later took his family to South Dakota and to Jefferson Co. Iowa where Grandmother was born. At some time they moved to Missouri, where my grandmother and grandfather met. As was very common during this time period, their parent's farms were near each other. It is the proximity of their homes that led to their meeting. Grandmother's parents then moved to Selma California were both died.
Notes for ROY KLYDE STEVENS:
Roy Klyde Stevens is noted as a much loved progenitor of the Stevens family, but he is also known as an important player in the history of Crawford Co. MO. and the state of MO. Roy Klyde Stevens was one of the founding members of the Missouri Farmers Associaion. He was incouraged to open the first Farmers Exchange, located in Leasburg Mo.. He later opened Farmer Exchange offices in several other cities in Crawford Co. MO.. After running these Exchanges for several years he sold them and opened a Farm impliment business for International Harvester, in Sullivan.
To his grand children he was known as a tough and independent individualist. This belief was reinforced by such stories as Papa Lupe holding down his school teacher and spitting tobacco juice in his face. As we all know he spent most of his time in later years in a small cabin in the woods of Crawford Co.. Sharing half of his cabin were his beloved Coon Hounds. This hobby proved very successful in that he produced such Champions as his beloved Mable Stater.
Only now am I learning what a principled man my Grand father was. Recently around the Thanksgiving table I learned just how principled and forward looking he was. A story was told concerning my grandfather employing a negro man to work in his International Harvester Dealership. At thatparticular time the Klu Klux Klan(KKK) was quite active in the Sullivan area. It is said that during this time the KKK threatened my grandfather for hiring a negro. It seems there were some threats to lynch the negro. In basic terms my grandfather said, "over my dead body"". Knowing his reputation as forceful and determined man the KKK backed off.
Children of ABBY SHAW and ROY STEVENS are:
7. i. JOHN CLYDE4 STEVENS, b. November 30, 1911, St. Louis,
MO.; d. 1996, Crawford Co. MO..
8. ii. WAYNE AMOS STEVENS
9. iii. DOROTHY LUCILLE STEVENS, .
10. iv. EDWARD ROY STEVENS
v. GLEN STEVENS
More About GLEN STEVENS: Fact 1: never married Fact 2: had polio as a child
11. vi. LOREE GERTRUDE STEVENS,
12. vii. ROBERT STEVENS
13. viii. DORIS BETTY STEVENS
ix. WILLIAM STEVENS More About WILLIAM STEVENS: Fact 1: m. Judy ?
7. JOHN CLYDE4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) was born November 30, 1911 in St. Louis, MO., and died 1996 in Cuba, Crawford Co. MO.. He married MELROSE MANTHEI LANDON July 26, 1936 in Crawford Co. Mo..
Children of JOHN STEVENS and MELROSE LANDON are:
i. EMMA5 STEVENS.
ii. RICHARD STEVENS.
iii. TRUDY STEVENS.
8. WAYNE AMOS4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) married MARIE MERKLE
Notes for WAYNE AMOS STEVENS:
Marie Merkle Stevens, wife of Wayne Amos Stevens, was the daughter of ____ Merkle one of the original settlers of Bourbon Mo..
Child of WAYNE STEVENS and MARIE MERKLE is:
i. JAMES D.5 STEVENS.
9. DOROTHY LUCILLE4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) married COLONEL SPURGEON
Notes for DOROTHY LUCILLE STEVENS:
Married: Colonel Woodrow Spurgeon, b, 1913 Mo., d. 1969
Children of DOROTHY STEVENS and COLONEL SPURGEON are:
i. ARLEEN5 SPURGEON.
ii. BERNARD SPURGEON.
iii. CAROL ANN SPURGEON.
10. EDWARD ROY4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) married (1) PATSEY JEANNE GIRDHAM He married (2) BETTY JEAN GAULT He married (3) CARMEN
Notes for EDWARD ROY STEVENS:
EDWARD STEVENS served his country first as a member of the United States Merchant Marines. He later served as a B-17 pilot in the Army Air Corp during World War II. During his service he was awarded numerous medals for valor. Most of his civilian life was spent working for McDonnell Aircraft in St. Louis.
Children of EDWARD STEVENS and BETTY GAULT are:
i. LINDA LOU5 STEVENS,
ii. EDWARD ROY STEVENS m. MELITA LUCINDA ALBRIGHT
iii. DAVID MCDOWELL STEVENS m. (1) SUE GRABBER; m. (2) MIRIAM VARNER,
11. LOREE GERTRUDE4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) married ROY WARE
Children of LOREE STEVENS and ROY WARE are:
i. ROBERT5 WARE.
ii. MICHAEL WARE
iii. DEANA WARE.
12. ROBERT4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) was married (1) RUTH EILEEN SCHMIDT. He married (2) VERNALEA HOUSEWRIGHT
Notes for ROBERT STEVENS:
ROBERT STEVENS served in the United States Navy during World War II. He was one of only a few survivors of the sinking of his ship the USS Indianapolis. He was awarded for his valor.
Children of ROBERT STEVENS and RUTH SCHMIDT are:
i. CHARLES ROBERT5 STEVENS
ii. DENISE RUTH STEVENS, m. STEVEN ESTES,
iii. MARLA ROSE STEVENS
iv. ROY KEVIN STEVENS
13. DORIS BETTY4 STEVENS (ABBY HAZEL3 SHAW, JOHN BERNARD2, SAMUEL1) married GEORGE WILCOX
Children of DORIS STEVENS and GEORGE WILCOX are:
i. GLEN ALLEN5 WILCOX.
ii. LISA MARIE WILCOX.
iii. BRIAN WILCOX.
iv. VALERIE WILCOX.
Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy