Taken From History of Bureau Co., IL 1885
Thomas Funson, Wheatland, who is the subject of the following biography, was born October 1, 1812 in County Tyrone, Ireland. He is a son of Oliver and Elizabeth (Sprout) Funson, who were natives of the above place, where they also died. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Fannie Milligan, deceased; Thomas Funson, our subject; Mrs. Elizabeth McCornus and Mrs. Margaret Young were twins, the latter is deceased; and Mrs. Letitia Milligan, whi is yet living in Canada.
Our subject received a common school education in his native country, where he tilled the soil till he immigrated to the United States in 1846. He landed in Philadelphia, where he remained nearly six years, and then removed to Ohio, where he farmed 2 years. In 1853, he bought eighty acres of land in Milo township, Bureau county, Illinois, which land he improved and farmed successfully, till at present, owing to his perseverance and industry he owns 279 acres of land.
Politically Mr. Funson is identified with the Republican party, and has filled many offices in his township; among others that of Collector, Clerk and Commissioner. Mr. Funson was united in marriage in his native country to Margaret McCoy, who is the mother of the following children; Mrs. Elizabeth Moffitt, Hugh M., Henry O., Thomas T. and Fannie Funson. Religiously Mr. and Mrs. Funson are connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Harry H. Ferris
Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties,
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
Harry H. Ferris, president of the Citizens' National bank, of Princeton, has for many years been one of the enterprising citizens of the place. Ever ready to lend a helping hand to every deserving institution, especially one calculated to develop the manufacturing and other interests of his adopted city. He was born in Ferrisburg, Addison county, Vermont, December 24, 1832, and is the son of Benjamin and Mary (Sherman) Ferris.
The Ferris family were originally from Connecticut and settled at Ferrisburg, Vermont, at a very early day. Benjamin Ferris, the grandfather of our subject, served his country in the Revolutionary war, and was in the battle of Plattsburg. He died at Ferrisburg soon after the family located at that place. The boyhood and youth of Harry were spent on the farm at Ferrisburg, and there he remained until twenty years of age, receiving a fair education in a select school.
On leaving his native state our subject went to Upper Sandusky, Ohio, where he remained one year, and in the spring of 1854, came to Princeton, which has since been his home, save for about two years spent in Russell county, Kansas. It was on the advice of an uncle, P. W. Ferris, that he made Princeton his home, and he has never regretted the step taken. His uncle was an old school teacher and dentist, and was well-known by the old citizens of Bureau county. He died many years ago.
At the close of the first summer spent in Princeton by our subject, his father came on from Vermont with the intention of purchasing a farm, but did not remain. However, after the war he again came with his family and here the parents spent the remainder of their lives both dying at about the age of eighty years, one preceding the other but a very short time.
The first business in which young Harry engaged in Princeton was that of buying and selling real estate. The country was comparatively new, and was being rapidly settled by a thrifty class of people, and in the real estate business he was quite successful, as prices were rapidly advanced save for a period following the panic of 1857, and even then in this locality prices were well maintained, being held up to a great extent by their proximity to a market made easily accessible by the completion of a railroad to Chicago.
Mr. Ferris was still engaged in the real estate business when the war broke out and he was one of the first to respond to his country's call, becoming a member of Company I, Twelfth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Captain Ferris, a cousin. His term of enlistment under the first call was for but ninety days.
When his term expired and re-enlistments were in order for three years, he was rejected on account of his partially crippled hand, making it difficult for him to properly handle his musket. At the battle of Shiloh Captain Frank Ferris was badly wounded and died soon after. His body was brought back and interred in the cemetery at Princeton. Ferris post at Princeton was named in his honor.
Returning home after receiving his discharge, our subject resumed his real estate business, in which he continued until 1864. In 1862, in partnership with his brother, Benjamin S., he purchased the private bank of Carey, Olds & Company, and under the firm name of B. S. Ferris & Company continued the business.
After a period of three years' successful business, Hon. Justin S. Morrell, of Vermont, an old acquaintance and well-known politician of that state, invested with them some ten thousand dollars, and the First National bank of Princeton was organized and duly incorporated.
In the meantime a bank was started near the depot which did business under the firm name of Ferris Brothers, with Harry H., as manager. This was rendered necessary from the fact that the depot was located so far from the business center of the city that grain men and others were put to so much inconvenience in getting their checks cashed. Some years later, in 1872, the business of Ferris Brothers was merged into the Farmers' National bank, a cousin of Mr. Ferris, named Sherman, investing fifteen thousand dollars in the institution. Mr. Ferris was elected president of the new concern, and assumed its active business management. The bank was organized with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars.
Benjamin S. Ferris, the brother, who was president of the First National bank, having lost his health, felt it necessary to dispose of his interest in 1873. which he accordingly did and removed to Denver, Colorado, where he died some years since.
Our subject also disposed of his stock in the First National bank at the same time, but retained his interest in the Farmers' National. Two years later, on account of impaired health, he disposed of his interest in the Farmer's bank also, and went to Russell county, Kansas, where he invested in a flock of ten thousand sheep. For two years he spent the greater part of his time in outdoor life, when his health being fully restored, he determined to return to his old home and embark in the banking business.
Returning to Princeton, Mr. Ferris assisted in organizing the Citizens' National bank, with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars, of which he was elected vice-president, Tracy Reeve being the president. The capital stock was soon increased to one hundred thousand dollars, made necessary by the rapidly increasing business. Mr. Ferris continued to serve as vice-president of the bank until the death of Mr. Reeve in 1894, when he was elected president, and has since been annually re-elected. The bank has had a successful career, paying semi-annual dividends of five per cent, and stock is quoted at one hundred and fifty dollars. Mr. Ferris has given personal attention to the business of the bank since its organization in 1878. The bank owns the building in which it is located.
Mr. Ferris was married February 4, 1864, at Waterville, Maine, with Miss Mary S. Dunbar, a native of that state and a daughter of Otis H. Dunbar, a native of Massachusetts. She is the sister of the well-known Dunbar Brothers of Princeton. By this union five children were born - Edward S., is now cashier of the Shenandoah (Iowa) National bank; Camilla, is a teacher of German in the high school in Ottumwa, Iowa. She was educated at the Northwestern University, of Evanston, and later studied at Heidelberg, Germany, and at Paris France, and is proficient in both French and German. Albert W., is assistant cashier of the Citizen's National bank, of Princeton; Mary is a student of the Princeton high school; Charlie, in 1895, was lost of Lake Michigan. He was in business in Chicago, and took passage on a boat at Benton Harbor, Michigan, for Chicago, and was never afterward heard from.
Mr. Ferris has improved several pieces of property in Princeton, including his own fine residence on Elm street. He has taken stock in all manufacturing enterprises, some of which have proven anything but profitable, but it has been his aim to assist struggling enterprises and aid his adopted city. In educational matters he has taken a deep interest, and for years has served as a director of the graded schools of Princeton, a most thankless office. Religiously he is liberal and attends the People's church, of Princeton. Mrs. Ferris is a member of the Congregational church. In politics he is a republican, but takes no active part in party work.
Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties,
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
Henry Fuller, circuit clerk and ex-officio recorder of Bureau County is numbered among those sterling citizens of Princeton who are true to the best interests of town, county, state and nation, and in a volume of this character no one is more deserving of mention. He was born in New York City, December 6, 1852, and is a son of Ira E. and Kate (Withall) Fuller, the former a native of New Hampshire, and the latter of England. The father was a farmer of Illinois, to which state he removed in 1858, locating first at Princeton, but later returned east, and on again coming to this state settled in De Kalb County, where for about twenty years he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He died in 1885, at the age of seventy-three years. He was a Baptist in religious belief and quite prominent in church councils. His wife, who is still living makes her home upon a farm at Rollo, De Kalb County, at the age of sixty-four years. Our subject is the oldest in their family of four children, the others being Belle, wife of Charles Whitman of Baraboo Wisconsin; Josie, who is with her mother and Edgar, who operated the home farm.
Mr. Fuller, of this review, was educated at Princeton, being one of the pupils to be admitted to the high school when it was first opened. In 1877 he led to the marriage altar Miss Ella G. Whitver, a daughter of John and Mary Whitver, old residents of Bureau county, having come from Tuscarawas county, Ohio in 1852. The parents are widely and favorably known and are numbered among the prominent residents of Walnut Township. To our subject and his wife have been born four children, the joy and pride of the home, namely; Clarence, now deceased; Ira Edgar, Kate Darline and Gertrude Belle.
For a time Mr. Fuller engaged in farming on his own account, but his attention has mostly been given to official duties and merchandising. From 1879 to 1892 he was engaged in the mercantile business at Walnut Hill, Illinois. He has always taken a lively interest in political affairs, and held the office of clerk of his township for about ten years, also school treasurer for the same time. In fact, he has held public trusts for the past twenty years.
In 1892 he was nominated and elected circuit clerk, was renominated by acclamation, there being no opposition, and is now acceptably filling that office, his present term expiring in December, 1896. He has given excellent satisfaction to his constituency and all concerned as is evinced by his again being renominated to the same office and his election in 1896. He is in the prime of a vigorous manhood and has many years of usefulness before him according to life's expectancy. In politics he has always been an uncompromising republican, in favor of a high protective tariff, and is in every way a worthy and esteemed citizen. Socially he is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, while religiously his estimable wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Taken From Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois Published 1906
Transcribed and Donated by Pat Esterday
Henry Fahs, numbered among the wide-awake and enterprising young farmers of Ohio township, is now engaged in operating and managing a place of one hundred and twenty acres. He is numbered among Bureau countys native sons, his birth having occurred within its borders on the 2nd of August, 1880. His parents were Fred and Mary Fahs, natives of Germany, who came to America at an early day and established their home in this county. As the years passed their marriage was blessed with a family of eight children.
Henry Fahs the sixth in order of birth, was reared in the usual manner of farmer lads and his education was largely acquired in the public schools of Lee County, although in the school of experience he has learned many practical and valuable lessons. He was early trained to farm work and came to a realization of the value of thrift and industry as factors in the achievement of success. He is now manager of an excellent farm on one hundred and twenty acres in Ohio township and his early training in the fields has stood him in good stead as the years have gone by.
Mr. Fahs was united in marriage to Miss Lena Spohn, who was born in Lee county, Illinois, November 14, 1880. The wedding was celebrated December 12, 1899, and has been blessed with two children: Fred W. born November 18, 1902; and Louis F. born May 27, 1905. Mrs. Fahs parents were John and Mary (Houck) Spohn, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Buffalo, New York. In the family were twelve children, the father having been married twice and five were born of the first marriage and seven by the second marriage.
Mr. Fahs in his religions faith is connected with the German Lutheran church, while his wife is a communicant of the Roman Catholic church. His political support is given the republican party, but he has neither time nor inclination for public office, finding that his business affairs make continuous demands upon his energies. He is steadily progressing and it will probably not be long before he is in possession of a farm of his own. He is a good citizen. Worthy of the confidence of friends and neighbors, and has made a creditable record for one of his years.
Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy