George C. Hinsdale
Taken From the Henry Republican
March 2, 1876
A Primitive Settler
There is a peculiar primitive settler in Bureau, so reported by the Princeton Republican. It says:
And now comes George C. Hinsdale, of Wyanet. Mr. H. has been in the county since 1831. Elizabeth Baggs, to whom he was married in 1834 came to Bureau county in 1828, having been in Bureau county longer than anyone now living in the boundaries of said county. He is emphatically a Bureau county man, having never been out of the state since he first entered it, never having been in Chicago since 1831, and having only a few times crossed the county line. He walked from Detroit to Chicago, when he came to this county; rode 50 miles with old Bourbonnais as he was returning from Chicago after selling out his furs and landed in this county July 4th, 1831. He prefers the good old ways riding behind his own faithful team everywhere, never having trusted himself to the tender mercies of a railroad monopoly nor his trunk to the baggage smashers. Mr. H. is a good neighbor, a generous man, and has laid up an abundance of this worlds goods for a rainy day.
Dr. Oscar H. Huntley
Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties,
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
Go into any village, town or city in this great Northwest of our; seek out the men who are the leaders in spirit, thought and action; learn the history of their lives, and you will find that there is usually a striking similarity which leads to the inevitable conclusion that like conditions produce like results. The story usually begins, "Born in New England, parents poor, self-made, etc." Now this fact, for fact it is, illustrates most aptly one of the salient features of our American civilization. There is an opportunity offered here under our emblem of liberty for every human being to work out and develop the best there is in him. The record of a self-made man, however, is always of interest and profit and the lessons learned there-from are valuable ones.
To this honored class belongs Dr. Huntly, a prominent physician and surgeon of Buda, Illinois, who was born at Alstead, New Hampshire, July 4, 1830, and is a son of Amos and Betsy (Baker) Huntley. He traces his ancestry back to the Huntleys in the North of England, and his grandfather, William Huntley, on coming to the new world in the eighteenth century, located in New York on the Hudson, near New Amsterdam, where the father of our subject was born in 1800. Almost the entire life of the latter, however, was passed in the old granite state, where he and his wife both died at advanced ages. When our subject was about ten years of age they removed to the village of Alstead in order to provide their children with better educational advantages; later, they went to Marlow for the same purpose, the doctor attending the Marlow academy until fifteen years of age, when they removed to Keene, New Hampshire, where they were still higher grades of school. Here he prepared himself to enter the sophomore year of Middletown college, Connecticut. At the early age of fifteen he began teaching, and in that way earned the money with which to pay his tuition at college, following the profession in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Virginia. He was obliged to give up his studies on account of ill-health and spent one year in the Old Dominion, and about the same length of time in Illinois in 1852-53.
Returning to Keene, New Hampshire, our subject began the study of medicine with Dr. George B. Twitchell, later took a course of lectures at Woodstock, Vermont; subsequently entered the Tremont Medical school at Boston, and later was graduated at Jefferson Medical college, of Philadelphia, in 1856, receiving the degree of M.D. The same year be began practice at Pecatonica, Winnebago county, Illinois, where he remained until the outbreak of the civil war, when he raised an independent company of cavalry, of which he was chosen captain. It was mustered into the United States service in September, 1862, and afterwards assigned to the First Illinois Cavalry, with which regiment it did duty for a year and a half in Missouri and Arkansas. During the last year the company acted as escort to General Steele and the doctor was made surgeon for this command.
After leaving the service, Dr. Huntley became afflicted with bronchial trouble and went to Nevada with the hope of benefiting his health, and a year later went to California, where he remained four years. In the latter state he again engaged in teaching, receiving at one time one hundred and fifty dollars per month, which was quite different from the salary he had first received, which was only eleven dollars and he was obliged to board round among the scholars. In 1869 he returned east to take a course of medical lectures in New York City, after which he returned to California, but on the 26th of September, 1870, he located at Buda, Illinois, where he has since successfully engaged in practice. On his arrival here he had but one hundred dollars, but his skill and ability soon won recognition, and today he is at the head of a large and lucrative practice. He has since taken post graduate courses at Chicago, Philadelphia and New York and is one of the best read and most efficient physicians and surgeons of this section of the state.
On the 6th of February, 1878, Dr. Huntley was united in marriage with Miss Laura F. Swope, of Buda, daughter of John W. and Margaret (Templeton) Swope, of Macon township, Bureau county. They now have one son, Oscar Hubbard, born at Buda, December 28, 1887.
The doctor's father was an old line Whig, and later became a republican, but the doctor cast his first vote for Stephen A. Douglas, though he has since been an ardent republican. He has served as president of the village, a member of the village board, school board and board of health, and has been quite instrumental in securing the good schools which Buda now possesses. He attends the Unitarian church, while his wife hold to the belief of the Congregation church. Socially, he became a member of the Masonic order before joining the army, belonging to the blue lodge at Pecatonica, and he and his wife are also members of the Eastern star, of which she has served as matron and associate matron. He also holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was instrumental in establishing Emery post, No. 198, G.A.R., of Buda, of which he was its first commander. As a physician he enjoys the honor of being a peer of any in Bureau county. His life has been characterized by energy, perseverance and untiring labor, and to these principles his success is due.
General Thomas J. Henderson
Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties,
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
The roster of officers and men serving in the late war from the grand old prairie state furnishes a long list of those who distinguished themselves in camp and upon the battlefield, and among that number there is not one with a better record for faithful service, greater bravery and exalted patriotism than the man whose name heads this sketch. He is a native of Tennessee, born in Brownsville, Haywood County, November 29, 1824 and is the son of Colonel William H. Henderson and Sarah M. (Howard) Henderson.
The boyhood of our subject was spent in his native state, and until eleven years of age he attended the common schools and the male academy at Brownville, Tennessee, and during the last year commenced the study of Latin. With his father's family he came to Stark County, Illinois, where he attended the pioneer schools of that locality. Nine years later he again went with the family to Johnson county, Iowa, where he entered the State University at Iowa City and spent one term. Prior to this, however, he had taught country schools more than a year.
On leaving the university he returned to Stark County, and taught the first term of school inn a building just erected for that purpose at Toulon. He then clerked in a store for nearly a year, and in the fall in 1847, was elected clerk of the county commissioner's court of Stark county and served as such until the office was changed to that of clerk of the county court, to which office he was elected and served until 1853. While discharging the duties of these offices which were not very arduous at that time, he continued his law studies, and in 1852 passed an examination and was admitted to practice. On the expiration of his term as clerk, in 1853, he opened an office in Toulon and commenced the practice of his chosen profession.
Law and politics seemed to go hand in hand that day, and in 1854, Mr. Henderson was elected a member of the Illinois legislature and served in that capacity a term of two years. In 1856 he was elected to the state senate, and served with such men as N. B. Judd, Silas I. Bryan, B. C. Cook and W. C. Goudy, and was at that time the youngest member of that body. Those were exciting times. The Whig party had ceased to exist, and the newly organized Republican Party had sprung into existence. As an anti-Nebraska man he was elected to the house, but as a republican he was elected to the senate. The celebrated Kansas-Nebraska act had been passed. The southern states were attempting to force slavery upon the newly organized territories, and the north, much against its will, was forced to recognize the great power wielded by the south, and that that section was determined to have its way regardless of consequences. In this political fight our subject entered heart and soul.
The election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860 furnished the pretext for the southern states to carry out their threats. Secession acts were passed, and the war for the preservation of the union was begun. It may well be surmised on which side our subject was to be found. In almost every school district in Stark County he addressed his fellow-citizens, urging enlistments, and pleading with all to stand by the administration and the union.
In the summer of 1862, when the call came for 300,000 more, Mr. Henderson determined to enlist, and at once took the field and soon succeeded in raising a company, which became a part of the One Hundred and Twelfth regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Assembling in camp, by permission of Governor Yates the regiment was permitted to elect its colonel and Mr. Henderson received the unanimous vote, both of officers and privates. On the 22d of September, 1862, the regiment was mustered into service and immediately ordered to the front. Its record for nearly three years following is a part of history of that great struggle. In the campaigns through Georgia and Tennessee, the One Hundred and Twelfth was ever at the front, its colonel winning the good will of his superior officers for his conscientious discharge of every duty devolving upon him. "Always hopeful, always prompt, always courageous, a most loyal subordinate, and a most able and devoted leader," was the record given him by Major-General J. D. Cox, under whom he long served.
At the battle of Resaca, Georgia, May 14, 1864, he was severely wounded and lay in a hospital for some time, after which he was granted a furlough and came home to recuperate. Returning to his regiment, the Third Brigade, Third Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, was organized for him, and he was assigned to its command. As commander of this brigade, he served until the close of the war, being brevetted a brigade-general for gallant conduct during the campaign in Georgia and Tennessee, and especially at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, the commission dating November 30, 1864.
The war over, the regiment being mustered out of service, General Henderson returned to his home in Toulon, Stark county, and quietly resumed the practice of law. There he remained until March, 1867, when he moved to Princeton and formed a partnership with the late Joseph I. Taylor in the practice of his profession, which was continued until 1871. At this time the general was appointed by President Grant as United States collector of internal revenue for the 5th Illinois district, with headquarters at Peoria. During the two years he was connected with that office he collected and turned over to the general government more than nine million dollars. Returning home in 1873, he formed a partnership with Judge H. M. Trimble, which still continues, the firm being an exceptionally strong one.
In 1868 General Henderson was one of the presidential electors for the state at large, and cast his vote for General Grant. In 1870, he unsuccessfully sought the nomination for congress, and in 1874 was nominated and elected a member of the Forty-fifth congress from the sixth district. During that term he served on the railways, canals and pension committees, in the Forty-sixth on commerce; in the Forty-seventh he was chairman of the committee of military affairs; in the Forty-eight, Forty-ninth and Fiftieth congresses he served on the committee on rivers and harbors; in the Fifty-first he was chairman of committee on rivers and harbors; and in the Fifty-second and Fifty-third he served on rivers and harbors and also on banking and currency.
For eight years he served as a member of the sixth district, and for twelve years from the seventh. After his first term he was always re-nominated by acclamation. In all, General Henderson served the people faithfully and well for twenty years. His greatest service as a member of congress, as he regards it, was rendered as a member of the committees on commerce and on rivers and harbors, in the improvement of the waterways of the country, and his principal achievement was the securing of the construction of the Hennepin canal, and this is a movement of which he may well be proud. A man more honest and devoted to the best interests of his constituents never entered the halls of congress, and those that know him best do not hesitate to say that he is in every respect a noble type of American manhood. For twenty years he has been one of the most popular of the soldier statesmen in congress, and his name stands for honesty, integrity and everything that is good in politics and public life. No man in Bureau County in the past twenty years has stood nearer the hearts of the people.
General Henderson was married May 29, 1849 to Miss Henrietta Butler, of Wyoming, Stark County. She was born in New York City, August 11, 1830, and is the daughter of Captain Henry and Rebecca (Green) Butler of Wyoming, Illinois. By this union, four children have been born (1) Gertrude R., wife of Charles J. Dunbar, of Princeton, and they have two living children, Harry B. and Fred T. (2) Sarah E., wife of Chester M. Durley of Princeton, who also have two children, Leigh and Helen. (3) Mary L., wife of John Farnsworth of Washington, D.C., who have four living children, Gertrude, John, Eunice and Thomas H. (4) Thomas B., a boot and shoe dealer of Princeton and insurance agent.
Fraternally General Henderson is a Mason, holding membership, with blue lodge, chapter, commandery and consistory. As a citizen he is every ready to do all in his power to advance the interests of his adopted city, giving of his time and means for its material advancement. He and his estimable wife live in a beautiful home on Peru Street.
The republicanism of General Henderson has never been doubted. He was a delegate at the last Whig state convention in Springfield, and was a delegate to the republican national convention at St. Louis in 1896, and cast his vote for Major McKinley, protection and sound currency.
William H. Henderson
William H. Henderson was born in Garrard county, Kentucky, November 16, 1793, and there spent his boyhood and youth. At the age of nineteen years he enlisted in Colonel Richard M. Johnson's regiment of mounted riflemen, and served during the war of 1812.
Having studied surveying, for some years he followed that profession in his native state, and in 1823 removed to Tennessee, locating in Stewart County. In that State he also engaged in surveying, and also filled a number of offices of honor and trust. He served as sheriff of his county, was elected to the state senate, which position he resigned in 1836, to remove to Illinois. He was the first register of deeds of Haywood county, in which Brownsville is located, and there recorded the first deed the same year our subject was born.
On coming to this state William H. Henderson located in Putnam, now Stark county, on a farm, but his business tact and abilities were soon recognized by the people, and two years after his arrival he was elected a member of the legislature, in 1838, and in the winter of 1838-39 met with that body in its last session at Vandalia, and where he was associated with Lincoln, Edwards, and other notable men. He also served in the first session of the legislature meeting at Springfield, in the winter of 1840-41. While a member of that body he was instrumental in the creation and organization of Stark County. In 1842 he was a candidate on the Whig ticket for lieutenant-governor, but was defeated. In 1845 he removed to Johnson county, Iowa, where he purchased and operated a large farm. In politics he was a Whig. His death occurred January 27, 1864, at the age of seventy-one years.
William H. Henderson was twice married, his first marriage being with Miss Lucinda Wimberly, in Stewart County, Tennessee, January 11, 1816. By this union there were three children: Mary, who married John T. Sevier, both now being deceased; John W., who twice served as a member of the senate from Linn county, Iowa, and who now resides at Cedar Rapids, that state; and William P., who resides at Jefferson City, Iowa. Mrs. Lucinda Henderson died in Haywood County, Tennessee, and later Mr. Henderson married Sarah M. Howard, who was born in Sampson County, North Carolina, September 15, 1804, and died in Marshalltown, Iowa, in January, 1879. By this union were five children: (1) General Thomas J., our subject, (2) Henry C., who is now engaged in the practice of law at Boulder, Colorado; during the war he was a member of the state senate of Iowa, and for some years, was district judge in that state. (3) Elizabeth H., the only daughter by the second marriage, died in infancy. (4) Reverend Stephen H., who was a member of the Iowa Methodist Episcopal conference for some years, and while there filled some of the best pulpits of the state, and who also served as presiding elder. He was later transferred to the Nebraska conference and filled the Methodist Episcopal pulpits in Lincoln and other cities. He married Miss Elizabeth Winterstein of Iowa, a lady of pleasing presence, of much culture, and most admirably for the wife of a minister. They reside at Lincoln, Nebraska. (5) Daniel W., who resides at Jefferson, Iowa. He was a member of the Thirty-second Iowa Infantry, and served three years in the late war. (6) James A., who became an attorney of note in Iowa, but who was compelled to abandon the practice of law on account of ill health. Removing to Toulon, Illinois, he there published the Stark County News until his death. He was a member of the Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry.
George B. Harrington
Taken From The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties,
Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 1896
Geo. B. Harrington, A.M., the efficient superintendent of public schools of Bureau county, Illinois, is widely known throughout the entire state, and has an enviable reputation in educational circles. He is a native of Vermont, born in Williamstown, January 31, 1844, and is a son of Daniel M. and Esther (Allen) Harrington, both of whom were natives of the same state.
The Harringtons are of Scotch ancestry, the first of the name settling in Massachusetts prior to the Revolutionary war. Daniel Harrington, the grandfather of our subject, removed from Williamstown, Mass., to Williamstown, Vt., prior to 1794, in which year he purchased the farm which has since been in possession of some of the family. On that homestead was born his father, Daniel M. and his entire family, including our subject.
There his boyhood and youth were spent and the foundation laid for the successful career which has followed him as an instructor of youth and director of public school teachers. After leaving the primary schools of his native county he received an academic education in Randolph, Vt., and in the same institution pursued a normal course, after which he engaged in teaching in the public schools. His salary fro the first term taught was eleven dollars per month. This was in his native state, and save in experience, was not satisfactory; however, he still continued to teach there until September, 1867, when he came to Bureau county, where he continued to follow his chosen profession. Here he acquired a reputation as a successful teacher, and in 1869, was elected principal of the Anawan, Henry county, schools, which position he held for five years. He was then called to take charge of the schools in Tiskilwa, Bureau county, and served two years, resigning on account of ill-health.
The reputation acquired as a teacher by Prof. Harrington brought him prominently before the people of Bureau county, who were always quick to acknowledge worth, and in 1877, he was elected county superintendent of schools and served five years, filling the position in a most acceptable manner and doing much to advance the interests of the schools. While filling this position he published a system for teaching civil government in the common schools, which was republished by the New York Tribune and New York Independent, and also by various educational journals throughout the country, and which was favorably received wherever introduced. He also published during this time in book form a "Helper for the Teachers of Bureau County," which proved highly beneficial to the public schools, its suggestions being very generally adopted by the teachers.
After an intermission of four years, Prof. Harrington, in 1886, was again elected county superintendent of schools, was re-elected in 1890, and again in 1894. His reputation as a superintendent is second to none in the state. His whole mind and heart is in the work, and he is often called to lecture before institutes in the different counties of the state, in which field of labor he is especially well qualified. In 1873 he passed an examination and was grated a certificate as a teacher from the state superintendent of public instruction. While never attending Lombard university as a student, his merits as an educator were recognized by that institution, which in 1890 conferred on him the degree of master of arts, an honor worthy bestowed.
On the 27th of July, 1869, Prof. Harrington was united in marriage in Bureau County, with Miss Emma V. Carpenter, a native of Orange County, Vt., and daughter of Marshall D. and Dorcas (Conner) Carpenter, also natives of that state, who settled in Bureau County in 1852 and later removed to Humboldt county, Iowa. They were the parents of six children (1) Lucy B., now the wife of James Briggs, a farmer, residing near Des Moines, Iowa. (2) Hon. Frank E., now residing at Livermore, Iowa, where he is engaged in farming. For two years he served his district in the legislature and is well-known in his locality. He was formerly a resident of Bureau county, and her married Miss Gertrude Woodruff. (3) Emma V., now the wife of our subject. (4) Bessie, wife of John W. Boyd, died some years ago. (5) May, wife of Eugene Heath, a farmer of Henry County, Illinois (6) Ida L., wife of J. W. Boyd, of St. Louis, Mo.
To Prof. And Mrs. Harrington, three children have been born: L. Ward, who died at the age of four years; Grave V., and a daughter who died in infancy. Grace has been carefully educated and has made music and paining a special study. She is gifted in both, but especially so in painting, in which she excels and has at her home many evidences of her rare skill and taste.
Mrs. Harrington is a rope scholar, a successful teacher who had great aptness for the work, and who is a most efficient helper for her husband in the official duties in the office of county superintendent of schools. Few women in Bureau county are so widely known and none are more universally esteemed. She is a worthy member of the Congregational church at Princeton and is actively engaged in promoting the Lord's cause in that city. The professor is also an efficient member of the same church. Fraternally he is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, and has attained the rank of Knight Templar.
Since first elected county superintendent of schools the number of teachers passing under his examination together with the renewal of licenses, would number more than six thousand. He has seen the number of graded schools in the county increase from four to fifteen. He served for six years as a member of the State Board of Education, being first appointed by Gov. Oglesby. He was elected president of the Northern Illinois Teachers association, at the largest session held by that body. In every position which he had been called on to fill he had discharged its duties conscientiously and to the entire satisfaction of those interested. As a citizen he is highly esteemed, and while an ardent Republican in politics, he numbers among his stanch friends many of the opposite party.
Daniel M. Harrington
Daniel M. Harrington was born December 12, 1799, in Williamstown, and his wife Esther in 1800, at Brookfield. They were married in Williamstown, where they spent the remainder of their lives, the husband pursuing the calling of a farmer. Of their family of twelve children, five are now living - Mrs. Bethiah Goodrich, of Williamstown, Vt.; Mrs. Atlanta Winchester, of Williamtown, Vt.; Nathan, of Grinnell, Iowa; Asa, of Barre, Vt., and Georg B., the subject of this sketch. Daniel died in 1878, Esther in 1875, and their memory is cherished by family and many friends who esteemed them for their many excellent qualities of head and heart.
Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy