Bureau County Illinois  
Bureau Junction (Bureau) Illinois History

 
Bureau Junction is the junction of the Bureau Valley and Rock Island Railroads. It is on the bottom lands. It was commenced in 1853, but the town was not laid out for some time. The company put up a large hotel for the accommodation of their travelers and those changing cars here. The place was laid out by Maj. William Shields.
[History of Bureau County Illinois, H. C. Bradsby, Editor, Chicago Publishing Company 1885, Page 437]

HISTORICAL SKETCHES

The City of Side Tracks (Taken From the Henry Republican, Henry, IL - June 6, 1872)

Bureau Junction in 1877 (A short sketch about the village and its people)
NEWS

Local Gossip for Bureau Junction (
(Sept. 5 1872, March 1877, April 23, 1877)

Visit to Mr. and Mrs. Edward White (1883)

The Bureau Valley Water Mills (Short paragraph - 1878)

The Bureau Valley Mills Burned (Henry Republican, Jan. 26, 1882)

BUREAU PHOTOS

Photos of Bureau Illinois - Contributed by John Eckard:  

    Picture of Downtown
    Local post mistress

Photos of Bureau Illinois - Contributed by John Eckard:

  • 1924 High School Basketball Team
  • 1920s High School Class - Year Unknown
  • 1914 Fourth of July Parade

Photos of Bureau Illinois - Contributed by John Eckard:

  • Depot and Yard from the Bluff
  • Looking East from the Round House
  • 1914 Fourth of July Parade - Photo #2

The Wise Homestead and Thomas Stables, Bureau Illinois - Contributed by Anne Dree Bennett

Bureau Illinois Homes - Contributed by Sharon Kopina

 

Back to Bureau County Illinois History and Genealogy

Back to Illinois Trails Main Page



Back to Genealogy Trails