New Bedford, Bureau County Illinois

New Bedford , Illinois is a village eight miles south of Tampico in Bureau County.  Its located on the old channel of Green River on Section 29.   It was formerly laid out and named by the settlers from New Bedford, Massachusetts and and was orginally called Winnebago. The post office  for Winnebago was established June 12, 1844  and was changed to New Bedford July 31, 1855.

Henry Thomas was one of the first settlers to enter land at the narrows which in now New Bedford in October of 1836.  For quite a few years, his land was the only entered tract in that section of the country.  New Bedford never had a railroad and remained a small village throughout its history. In 2000 the population was 95.  In 2008 the population was 91.

[Source: Reminiscences of Bureau County : in two parts. Princeton, Ill.: Republican Book and Job Office, 1872 by N. Matson. Past and Present of Bureau County, 1906 - transcribed by Nancy Piper]


Photos of New Bedford

Contributed by Jim Fuhr

Page 1             Page 2

F. Anderson Department Store
Looking toward the West side of Main Street, New Bedford, IL
Cerca 1910

New Bedford Department Store, E.M. Spratt Manager
Building located East side of Main Street.
The cement step is still located across the street from the current Post Offce.
Cerca 1910

Looking North from East side of Main Street, New bedford, IL
Circa 1910