To The
Carroll County Biographies

GEORGE D. BROWN

From the Goodly Heritage -

In 1884 George D. Brown came to Savanna from Hanoverton, Ohio and was first employed in the Rhodes and Bowen planing mill. He bought the interest of D. L. Bowen in 1895 and in 1901 that of Rhodes and thus became sole proprietor of the sash and door factory. Brown specialized in interior finishes, bank and office fixtures, finishing such structures as the Odd Fellows building, Savanna library, post-office, Masonic rooms, Chicago Avenue school and city hospital. He was also a supplier for the new Lincoln school in Savanna, also many residences, the Caroline Mark home and West Hall of the Shimer academy in Mount Carroll.

With Paul K. Miles he founded the Savanna Construction Company in 1914 selling his interest two years later. That company still continues on the same site.

In 1905 he married Martha Phillips a teacher in Savanna. They had six girls among them Natalie, now the widow of Rhene B. Law.

Always interested in the youth of the community, Mr. Brown served twenty-four years on the school board. He was the first president of the Savanna Commerce Club organized in 1907.
The Goodly Heritage - Sequincentennial Edition 1968

Back home