To The
Carroll County Biographies

FRED W. DIEHL

A traveler through Cherry Grove township must be impressed with the richly cultivated condition of a large part of the soil and also the quality of its cattle and stock. If he is fortunate enough to be admitted as a visitor to any of the fine homesteads, he may also be pleasurably moved to see the happiness that exists through the estimable qualities and enduring virtues of his hosts. Surely would this be the case should he pause on the farm owned and operated by Fred W. Diehl, which lies on section 26, of the above named township. He was born in Rock Creek township, Carroll county, Ill., July 17, 1871, and is a son of Henry Diehl, a highly respected retired farmer who now lives in Shannon township.

Fred W. Diehl obtained his education in the district schools of his native place, and early in life began to help on the home farm thus continuing until his marriage when he was about twenty-five years old, to Miss Sarah E. Deuel, a daughter of the late Horace Deuel, of Rock Creek township. After their marriage, Mr. Diehl took charge of Mrs. Deuel's farm and for ten years successfully operated that tract of 184 acres, situated on section 25, Cherry Grove township. In 1900 he bought ninety-six acres of unimproved land located in section 26, and immediately erected a handsome residence and suitable barns and stock shelters on it, for by this time he had become one of the most prosperous stockraisers in the county. He has added still further to his improvements and has continued to raise his standard stock according to modern and scientific methods and in the average has from seventy-five to 100 head of Chester-White hogs to put on the market. Mr. Diehl gives sensible reasons for preferring this breed and certainly is successful in raising them. In late years he has also given considerable attention to growing Galloway cattle. In addition to being a capable agriculturist, Mr. Diehl is a first class citizen, giving his support and influence to every movement that promises social betterment. He is not identified with any political party, choosing to do his own thinking and he casts his vote for the candidate of whom his judgment approves. He served two years as collector of Cherry Grove township and for nine years has been a school director of school district No. 33, Cherry Grove.

Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Diehl: Florence S., born July 23, 1896; Grace B., born October 5, 1899; and Frank M., born January 28, 1906. The family attends both the Lutheran and the Evangelical Church. They have a wide circle of friends and their hospitable home sees many pleasant social gatherings, Mrs. Diehl having an enviable reputation as a housewife. Mr. Diehl belongs to the Mystic Workers, the Modern Woodmen of America and Lodge 490, A. F. & A. M., while both he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star.

Contributed by Carol Parrish
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Carroll County, Vol. II, Munsell Publishing Company, 1913, p. 773-74

Back home