To The
Carroll County Biographies

JOHN FLICKINGER

JOHN F. FLICKINGER, a prominent and successful merchant of Lanark, is progressive and enterprising in his methods and is recognized as a useful and desirable citizen. He was born in Rock Creek township, Carroll county, March 15, 1875, son of Noah F. and Rachel A. (Etling) Flickinger. The Flickinger family is well-known in Carroll county, Noah F. Flickinger having come here in 1868, from Ohio. His wife died December 27, 1909, in Lanark and was buried in Lanark Cemetery. He is retired and lives in Lanark.

After graduating from the public schools of Carroll county, John F. Flickinger took an engineering course at the Illinois State University, following which he engaged in a contracting business, and in this connection erected a large number of fences in Carroll and adjoining counties, having a number of men in his employ. He followed this occupation continuously until 1905, when he purchased the hardware business which William H. Hess had established in 1860 at Lanark. Mr. Flickinger carries a complete line of shelf and heavy hardware, building materials of various kinds, farm implements, paints, glass and other goods to be found in the stock of a large store of this kind, and is considered a bright business man and one of the most enterprising merchants in the county.

Mr. Flickinger was married November 18, 1899, to Miss Mille Swigart, daughter of Samuel Swigert, of Lanark, and they are the parents of three children: Harlan, who was born in Lanark, October 13, 1903; Kenneth, who was born August 13, 1905, and Ronald Noah, who was born April 17, 1908. Mr. Flickinger and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of Lanark, and Mrs. Flickinger is a member of the ladies’ society. He belongs to the Blue Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and his wife to the Eastern Star. Mr. Flickinger has been active in the Republican party since attaining his majority and has been elected to serve as delegate to the state congressional judicial and county conventions of his party. For several years he has been a member of the Republican county central committee and since the campaign of 1908 has held the office of secretary of that body. Always interested in any worthy cause which has for its object the betterment of existing conditions, he has served as president of board of education and alderman. In addition to his other interest, he is vice president of the Lanark Canning Co.

Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Carroll County, Vol. II, Munsell Publishing Company, 1913

Back home