Ann (Emmert) Hallert)


Carroll County IL Biography



Mrs. Ann (Emmert) Hallert, widow of the late Bartlett H. Hallett, occupies a pleasant home in Mt. Carroll, and is a lady enjoying the friendship and respect of a large circle of acquaintances. She has been a resident of this county forty-seven years, having come to the West with her parents when a child six years of age. She was born in Pennsylvania, April 24, 1834. Her father, David Emmert, first settled in Cherry Grove, where he conducted a hotel two years, then changed his residence to Mt. Carroll, and associated himself in partnership with Mr. Nathaniel Halderman, and they put up the first house built by white men in Mt. Carroll – a solid log structure. Mrs. Hallett remembers running all over the hills to gather hazelnuts that year. The present site of Mt. Carroll was then occupied by an Indian village.

Messrs. Emmert & Halderman next put up a store-building upon the site of the present residence of Mr. I. Sheldon, just across from the old mill. The first house was a little north of this and a part of it is still standing. The store was filled up with a stock of general merchandise, and the proprietors carried on a lively trade for several years thereafter. In due time they began the construction of a large mill, which was finished in 1844, and was patronized far and near for many miles around, proving a great convenience to the pioneers. After the lapse of nearly half a century it is still running, with little change or addition to its original proportions, although the machinery has necessarily been remodeled and modernized to meet the demands of this later day. It was first driven by water-power, but is now operated by steam. This mill undoubtedly had much to do in locating the town for Mt. Carroll, as it proved to be the objective point of all the country around. That first log house in time was utilized as a boarding-house for the mill-hands, besides being a home for Mr. and Mrs. Emmert and their family, and it not infrequently sheltered as many as fifty persons. Mr. Emmert finally sold out to Mr. Halderman and retired from active labor, putting up a good brick house across the creek, where he spent his last days. He was a genial and hospitable man, and his door was always open to the stranger or the wayfarer, many of whom he would bring home with him, and sometimes not only one, but a whole family. This had its effect in attracting people to the place, and thus he was largely instrumental in the settling up of that town and bringing to it a class of worthy and intelligent people. He ever maintained the warmest interest in its growth and prosperity, and encouraged the organization and maintenance of schools, and was foremost in every good work.

His native place was Maryland, as it was also that of his wife, Miss Susan Price, where they were reared and married, and where six of their children were born. Three more were added to the family circle after coming to this county. Mr. Emmert departed this life at his home in Mt. Carroll, in 1853, at the age of fifty-three years. The wife and mother survived the husband a period of thirty years, and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Cormany, of Ft. Scott, Kan., July 9, 1888.

The subject of this sketch received her early instruction under the tutorage of the Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Gray, of the Presbyterian Church, who conducted a select school at Mt. Carroll. Later she attended Mt. Morris Seminary, which was under the supervision of the Methodist Episcopal Church at the time. After her school days were ended she remained with her parents until her marriage with Bartlett H. Hallett, which occurred Feb. 5, 1852. The young people commenced their wedded life in Mt. Carroll, and as the years passed by the household circle included three children, all of whom are living. Charles S. married Miss Ida Hoyt, of Milwaukee, Wis., and they had one child – Katie H.; they make their home in New York City, where he is engaged in the commission business. D. Frank married Miss Marian Kridler, of Polo, Ill., and is practicing as a homeopathic physician in Red Oak, Iowa; they have two children – John and Bonnie. Millard E. married Miss Ida Ashway, of Mt. Carroll, and resides in Marion, Iowa; they have three children – Grace, Irving, and Roy.

Bartlett H. Hallett was born in Missouri, Aug. 5, about 1824, and removed with his parents to Galena about the time of the Black Hawk War. Upon reaching manhood he came to Mt. Carroll and established a brick-yard, the first in the place, and soon began operating as a builder and contractor, being the pioneer of this business here. During the years which followed he put up many of the leading business houses – in fact, most of the brick buildings which were erected, including the Mt. Carroll Female Seminary, the court-house, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the public school building, and other important edifices. This business he followed during the remainder of his life, frequently filling contracts at Lanark, Savanna, and Sabula. He thus became widely known through-out this part of the county, and being honest and upright in his transactions, made many friends and accumulated a good property. He finally retired from active business, selling out to his brother James (now deceased).

Mr. Hallett was quite prominent in local affairs, serving as Alderman from his ward for a number of years, officiated as School Director fifteen years, and held other positions of trust and responsibility. It is believed that he identified himself with the Republican party upon its organization, and it is certain that for long years he was one of the most earnest adherents of that party, in the principles of which he carefully trained his sons, who follow cheerfully in his footsteps. In religious matters he is one of the pillars of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he officiated as Steward and Trustee, and labored actively in the Master’s vineyard. After the labors of a long and useful life he departed hence, Jan. 11, 1873. He bore no unimportant part in the early growth of Mt. Carroll, and is kindly remembered by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Transcribed & Contributed by Carol Parrish from Portraits and Biographical 1889 Pg 980

Back home