To The
Carroll County Biographies

WILLIAM G. LAW

William G. Law was born in Savanna in 1871 to William B. Law and the former Sarah J. Law, a daughter of Andrew Law of Washington township, in the family home where the Savanna township library now stands. The father left County Fermanagh in 1857 spending about ten years working in the mines of Australia and New Zealand before coming to Savanna. Here he had a billiard hall and started building residences and store buildings. They had two children, William George and Fanny.

Son William G. first worked in the drug store of Charlie Kellogg. Deciding to go into the business, he was graduated from the Illinois College of Pharmacy, Chicago and opened for business in the north half of a small one-story frame building in 1892.

After the death of Bothwell Pulford in 1905, Law and a banker named Peck from Thomson bought the Pulford business for a second store, moving the little frame building to the back of the lot where they kept their stock. Later the same year they built the present building closing the business in the Pulford opera house.

In 1922, Law took his two sons, Boyd and Ives, both registered pharmacists, into partnership with him and changed the name of his business to Law Drug Company; the sons also started a drug store in Belvidere moving to that city but continuing their interest here.

William G. Law died in 1939, and the drug store in Savanna was taken over by the oldest son, Ives Law and his mother Hazel who continued the business for 23 years. Following the death of Ives, his sons Richard and Jason Law took over his interest. Neither was a druggist at heart, both being Navy men. Capt. Richard Law is in command of part of the Pacific Fleet stationed at Hawaii; and Commander Jason Law of a division of the East Coast Fleet. It was this Jason who unveiled the Pierce monument at the Savanna centennial.

Source: A Goodly Heritage
Law Family History

Back home