To The
Carroll County Biographies

LUNDY FAMILY

It was during the Civil War, Feb. 15, 1864, that Thomas and Bridget Lundy, Irish immigrants, bought 60 acres of bottom land in Washington township, the beginning of a family farm that grew to 580 acres, then dropped back to 213 acres, but still remained in the family.

Thomas and his four brothers grew up on a 14-acre farm in County Galway; Thomas Lundy and two brothers came to the United States, one went to New South Wales, Australia and one stayed home. Tom's wife, Bridget, was from County Mayo, Ireland. Tom tried working out as a laborer at Galena like many immigrants of his day but the call of the farm was strong and he found a piece of land he liked north of Savanna and he and Bridget did well until tragedy struck. In 1880 he was kicked by a horse and died from the infection. The same year the home burned to the ground but the widow Bridget and the two boys, Tom and John, carried on, built the fine frame house in which the grandchildren live.

John Lundy moved to Story county, Iowa. Thomas married Ellen Matheson of Hanover. They had five Sons whom she raised following her husband's death from pneumonia in 1902. George and Thomas who left for Chicago and Lombard, Illinois, respectively, and William, John Leo and Hugh remained in Carroll county. George in Co. K, 18th Infantry, 1st Division, was seriously wounded in France in 1918 but recovered and both he and brother Thomas became valued postoffice workers now retired on pensions. William farmed in Mt. Carroll township until 1968. Hugh married Viona Foster of Earlville, Ill, who grew up on a farm that has been in the family since 1836.

A Goodly Heritage

Back home


Illinois - "Our Way"