The guardian of the two children was Edward Hatfield and when Mrs. Cochran died he moved on the farm and managed the property until John W. Miller was eighteen years old. In 1880 the brothers assumed charge of the farm of 219 acres and worked it together until 1888 when John W. Miller bought and moved on a farm at Marcus, Ill., on which he lived for nine years. IN 1896 the brothers divided the home farm and on his part, John W. Miller erected a new house and made that his home until 1899, when he sold both that farm and also his farm at Marcus. He then moved to Savanna, where he engaged in the hardware business for some eighteen months, when he sold that interest and bought a general store at Mt. Carroll, but conducted it less than a year. In the fall of 1902 he moved to his present home, where he has 470 acres, situated on section 11, Washington Township. This was the old Hugh Gillespie homestead and he purchased it March 8, 1901. Mr. Miller engages quite extensively in cattle and stock raising and usually keeps 150 head of cattle through the year.
On December 11, 1889 Mr. Miller married Miss Rebecca Gillespie, born May 10, 1865 on the farm now owned by M. Miller. Mrs. Miller is a daughter of Hugh and Jane (Carruthers) Gillespie, both of Ireland. He was born in County Moneghan and is a descendant of the famous Gillespies of the Campbell clan of Scotland. Mr. And Mrs. Miller have two children: Glen Gillespie, born September 2, 1894: and Lawrence Frederick, born April 23, 1899. Mrs. Miller is a member of the United Presbyterian Church. Politically, Mr. Miller is independent. At different times he had served in local offices, and as supervisor of Washington Township he has discharged the duties of the office to the entire satisfaction of all concerned."
History of Carroll County 1913 Book Page 855