the unknown artist but it is a good
example of some of the structures which
could be seen on area farms in the past.
once located on Elkhorn Creek at the
East edge of the present village of
Milledgeville. The mill is said to be
responsible for the name of the village.
Presumably a sketch of the old stone arch bridge located in Lima Twp. about a mile and a half north of Brookville. The bridge is listed as one of Carroll County's most historic sites. It was on the Galena Trail. A few other stone arch bridges of similar appearance remain in the county but few continue in use.
Prairie Castle - Located southwest of Shannon, this building is not
centrally located and not always noticed or remembered, but it has
historical value in that it once was a popular relay station along the
road from Galena to Dixon. It is one of the last remaining in the area.
It once was the home of Elijah Northey, who with William Shannon, had much
to do with bringing a railroad to Shannon. He was a director of the Western Union and of the Northern Illinois Railroads before these were consolidated.
Sketch of the old Robbe Blacksmith shop in Mt. Carroll, formerly operated
by Leo Robbe, a blacksmith for more than 50 years. The shop has been given to the Carroll County Historical Society and is being reconstructed at the Oakville Museum Site southeast of Mt. Carroll
The Erisman House
Located in the east part of Lanark this house is now
occupied by John Erisman. This drawing shows the home as it appeared in 1901 and the house shows few changes in exterior appearance at this time.
Thomson Post Office - Yes it was used as Thomson's Post Office in 1910 - and after many years of use as a store building, it once more houses the
Thomson Post Office, although the front has had a face lifting and the entrance now is the right corner.
Shown here is the north portion of the courthouse complex. This part was erected in 1856. The county board recently decided to have this structure renovated to bring the interior to modern standards, although leaving the exterior resembling as nearly as possible its original design.
The Kingery House
Located in Chadwick, this was the residence of the late Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Kingery. The home now is occupied by the elder daughter of the Kingery's, Mrs. Helen Meyer. Extensive renovation has been done during the past year.