To The
Brethren Church - Shannon

Members of the Brethren church were among the earliest settlers in Shannon township; in fact they came long before the township was created, Apr. 1, 1865.

The church congregation dates back to 1851 when Isaac Lutz and family arrived from Pennsylvania. Five miles west of Shannon was the Cherry Grove group and at a meeting in the brethren church there in 1874 a building was planned for Shannon.

The church as dedicated Dec. 17, 1875 by David Rittenhouse. The largest membership was 82.

The congregation terminated services in 1932 and in June, 1936 deeded the lot and the cemetery and arranged for the church house to be wrecked. The cemetery is now the Shannon village cemetery supported by taxation.

Goodly Heritage 1968

home