Early

Carroll County

Legislators

The Goodly Heritage 1968

Henry (Uncle Harry) Smith was the first legislator elected from Carroll county in 1843; he was a member of the constitutional convention in 1860-1. Born in Nottingham, New Hampshire in 1803, he moved with his parents to Virginia when eight years of age, lived in New York state five years and came to Rock Island in 1827. He went to the lead mines in Wisconsin, was there at the outbreak of the Black Hawk War, enrolled and was captain of the company called the White Springs Volunteers. Smith came to Elkhorn Grove in 1840 and bought a claim from John Ankeny, the first entered from this township. He and Sample M. Journey were partners in the first store in the Grove, the latter attending to his interests. He carted grain to Chicago from his farm, selling wheat for both $ .40 and $2.50 per bushel. He drove hogs to Galena, killed them and sold the pork for $1.50 per cwt. He owned 400 acres of land, was there when the tri-county Grange picnic (Ogle, Whiteside and Carroll) was held in 1873 where 5,000 Grangers attended. He married Mrs. Lucinda Dalton from North Carolina. They had five children.

William T. Miller of Mt. Carroll, an attorney, was active in the building of the courthouse (still is used as the north section) that replaced the old stone building. In 1850 he was elected to the state legislature. In 1852, at a special session he presented and secured the passage of a bill incorporating the Mount Carroll Seminary and was one of its incorporators, buying ten shares of $50. Following his wife's death he went to Kansas City to live with his daughter. He is buried in Oak Ridge cemetery.

Porter Sargent, elected in 1856, owned a powder mill, and was an early postmaster of Savanna. He died in Rock Island; his estate was probated here to collect a claim pending against the U.S. as postmaster.

Rollin Wheeler, Wysox township farmer, elected 1856, was first supervisor of Wysox, and Sheriff in 1850.

James DeWolf, Wysox farmer, elected 1858. He was county superintendent of schools at about the same time.

Benjamin L. Patch-1860 - Biography    Will

Joseph L. Chapman, merchant of Mt. Carroll, elected 1862.

Daniel W. Dame, farmer and first president of Rock Creek Grange No. 53, one of first State officers to take an interest in additional legislative sessions.

A railroad man and incorporator of predecessors of Milwaukee, one of the first passenger engines was named "D. W. Dame." Was felt by many farmers he "two­timed" their interests. He was the first president of the Old Settlers Association here, elected 1864. Died in Lanark 1875.

Dame Family Page
The Dame Home in 1986



Elijah Funk was elected in 1866; considered our best county surveyor. He also served as State Representative. He sold his prairie farm east of Mt. Carroll and bought among the wooded, rocky hills of Woodland township feeling it was of more value. (Presently the Ellwyn Turnbaugh farm.) Funk Road where he lived was named for him.

Major Adam Nase former sheriff, and Civil War veteran and a carpenter of Mt. Carroll was elected 1868 and 1870. Born in 1825 in Lancaster Co., Pa. In 1865 he served as circuit clerk; and as Collector of Internal Revenue until his death in Sterling at his office, but he had continued residence here. Nase Post .GAR. at Mt. Carroll was named for him.


James M. Hunter, was County's first state senator, elected 1870.

He was a lawyer from Mt. Carroll, also county surveyor.












James Shaw was elected to the Illinois House in 1870; an attorney from Mt. Carroll, and Circuit Judge for several terms-first of only three from "Little Carroll." He was peaker of the house for one long term and two adjourned sessions. During this period Carroll had many appointments through his influence in Springfield. His newspaper copies are preserved in microfilm and many books from his library are still in the Mt. Carrroll, and County law libraries. His name was proposed by Carroll county for Congress and state offices, but "Little Carroll" had little other backing. His daughter, Effie, was valedictorian of her class at Vassar College. His wife's garden and flowers were the talk of the town. She was noted for her generosity with them. In 1891 they moved into their new house on Clay street at Broadway where the Reuben Seitners now make their home. While circuit judge at $6000 per annum, he declined appointment as solicitor of the Milwaukee R.R. at $9000.

Henry A. Mills, state senator, elected in 1874, was in the banking business in Mt. Carroll. After his retirement he lived in Galesburg with a daughter, dying July 7, 1877.

Norman D. French, early settler and postmaster at Bluffville. He was county commissioner, supervisor and collector, often travelling many miles for 10 cents when the entire township tax collected was but $200. He was elected to the General Assembly and served in the house with Senator Mills. His grandson, Norman D., died a few years ago in Thomson leaving his widow Besse A. who has provided many stories for this book from her grandmother's scrapbook. His grandson Roy Houghton donated to the historical society his grandfather's Bluffville postoffice desk.

John M. Stowell, grocer, hardware merchant and implement dealer of Mt. Carroll located in the stone court house until it burned. He was elected in 1876, a Democrat elected by his Republican friends.

Emanuel Stover, elected in 1880 from Lanark, was a manufacturer of wind pumps.

Henry Bitner, early teacher, merchant in Mt. Carroll, lived on a farm just across the creek. The lovly brick home where he often entertained his friends still stands east of the old Emmert stone house. He was elected as a Democrat for one term in 1880, jointly served in the House with Rep. Stover. He died in 1917.

George L. Hoffman, attorney and son-in­law of Volney Armour, had his offices above the bank using the same offices now used by Eaton, Leemon & Rapp. There was then a little steel balcony over the former corner door of the building. He was born in Germany and served in the legislature in 1882.   Armour-Hoffman Family Story

Simon Greenleaf of Savanna was elected in 1884. He was owner and editor of the Savanna Times. His son Simon S. was later its editor.

Levi T. Bray was a farmer. He married the daughter of D. W. Dame of Lanark. He served in the House commencing in 1888.

Daniel S. Berry served as legislator for two terms commencing 1890.

Born in Morrison, Ill., he came as an attorney to Savanna where he interested himself in civic affairs especially the school board.

He introduced many important bills on gambling and other matters.

After his death his nephew, John L. Brearton, continued his practice.
   Obituary    Cooley House



George B. Childs and Ernest Meyers also served in the 37th General Assembly in 1890.

John N. Brandt who served in 1892 was a farmer.

David C. Busell, Lanark farmer was elected in 1896. He served two terms.

C. W. Middlekauff, an attorney in Lanark, was elected in 1900.     Biography

B. F. Lichtenberger, born in Shannon, was a hardware merchant. He was elected the same term as Middlekauff in 1900, the 42nd General Assembly.

W. W. Gillespie, a farmer of Washington township was elected in 1902.

John D. Turnbaugh, attorney and former county judge was born in Fairhaven township in 1872. He also served in the state senate. He procured the inclusion of the county's network of state roads in the state bond issues.

Robert Irwin had his business in Mt. Carroll, but his farm residence was in Pleasant Valley township, Jo Daviess county. He was elected in 1916.

Alfred S. Babb served in 1922 from Shannon.


Franklin U. Stransky, attorney of Savanna

Served in the House from 1937 until 1955.

Stransky Family












John Acker, farmer and business man from Savanna was first elected in 1924. He was born on a farm south of Savanna in 1870. He had a special interest in good roads and secured many benefits for the county. He died in his home August 6, 1933 following a rigorous session, His only daughter, Clara, now Mrs. Edward H. Gholson, acted as his secretary. She now efficiently assists her husband, a chiropractor.

John K. Morris, a farmer near Chadwick, was elected in 1946 and served until the last re-apportionment when he was defeated. He was long-time chairman of the important revenue committee.
The MORRIS Family

Back Home


Illinois - "Our Way"