MAIN, Zuar E.
Zuar E. Main was born on the farm he now owns, section 16, township 18, range 11 west, Cass county, March 30, 1849. He was reared and educated in the county, and has a fine and well improved farm of 167 acres, and forty acres in timber, and has a fine house in this county also. His grandfather was Joshua, who was born, lived and died in Willington township, Connecticut. He died at about the age of ninety, coming of English parents and was a prominent farmer in his township. His wife's name was Jerusha Lee, who lived and died in Connecticut. They were good religious people, and raised a large family. The father of our subject, Loderick L. Main, was born near Stafford Springs, Connecticut, in 1796, grew up to the carpenter's trade, and later was a seaman for a few years. After that he came to Ohio, settling near Burton, and there married Ann E. Beard, of New York State. In 1837 they came to Illinois, and settled on a farm now owned by our subject, Zuar Main, east of Beardstown. Here Mrs. Main died, in the prime of life, in 1838, leaving several children: Amos B., Lucy Ann, Curtis, Lewis and Myron. Mr. Main married a second time, in Cass county, Sarah Calef, born near Lebanon, New Hampshire, and came when a young woman with her sister to Cass, and was married, in 1840 to Mr. Loderick Lee Main. Her death occurred October 25, 1873, at the age of sixty-six. Mr. Main, (Loderick Lee) at the same place in 1883. He was one of the well known settlers of this county, and he and his wife were strong Methodists. Our subject is one of five children. Zuar E Main (fourth child), Ann E., Luther, Mary, Daniel L. (fifth child).
He was married in this county to Ellen McKean, born and reared in the county. Her parents were John and Nancy (Childress) McKean, natives of West Virginia. They were married at Charlestown, West Virginia and started on a wedding tour to the West, early in the '30's, settling in Monroe precinct, Cass county. On this they lived and died, he at the age of sixty-two and she forty-seven. They were well-known good people. McKean was a native of Pennsylvania, and was reared in Ohio and married in West Virginia. He was the father of nine children, of whom six are yet living.
Mrs. Main is a smart, intelligent mother of three children: two are deceased,--Minta and Lucas A. Miss Minnie, a bright young lady and a good girl, is the only child living. Mr. and Mrs. Main attend the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Main is a sound Republican. He is a member of the order of Masons and of the A.O.U.W., and is a very good citizen. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 318]
MATTHEW, James D.
James D. Matthew was born near the present site of Columbus, Franklin county, Ohio, in 1813, November 24. His father, Simon Matthew, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, and his father, Nathan Matthew, was as far as is known, born in the same State. The great-grandfather of subject, Edward Matthew, was born in Wales and came to American, settling in Virginia in colonial times. He was a miller by trade, and his son was also a miller, and he erected a mill in Virginia during the Revolutionary war. He resided in Virginia until about 1817, when he went to Washington county, Indiana, and was a resident there until his death. His son was reared in Virginia and went to Ohio when he was twenty-six years of age. He settled in Franklin county and was one of the first settlers there. He assisted in cutting the logs to build the penitentiary at Columbus. In 1818 he emigrated to Indiana, settling in Washington county, which was a heavily timbered country at that time. He rented a tract of timber land ten miles west of Salem, and erected a log house in the wilderness. There were no railroads in the State at that time, and the nearest market was fifty miles away. He lived in Indiana until 1832, and during that time cleared quite a tract of his land. In 1832 he sold that and came to Illinois, settling ten miles southeast of Springfield, where he resided until his death. The maiden name of his first wife, the mother of our subject, was Ann Deardorff, born near New Castle, of German ancestry. She died in Sangamon county, after the arrival of the family.
James came with his parents to Sangamon county, Illinois, and was nineteen the day he reached there. At that time the capitol of the State was Vandalia, Springfield being but a hamlet, and the nearest market for farmers in Sangamon county was St. Louis or Beardstown. He resided there until 1838, and then came to Cass county. He had visited this section and entered forty acres of land in 1837, in section 22, township 18, and forty more acres in section 19 of the same township. In 1838 he built a hewed-log cabin and commenced at once to clear the land. At that time deer and other kinds of wild game supplied the table with meat. Wheat sold from thirty to forty cents a bushel, and corn for ten cents a bushel. The wife dressed the children in homespun of her own raising, carding and weaving. He added to his farm until it is now about 365 acres, the greater part improved.
He was married March 27, 1834, to Dorcas Hamilton, born in Virginia, daughter of Pressley and Susana Hamilton. Mr. and Mrs. Matthew have had the following children: Simon P., Ann, Charles, Jane Ruth, Rodney, Nettie, Henry L. and Lincoln.
Mr. Matthew was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is his wife. He was a Whig and Republican, and was a good and honorable man. He died April 7, 1892, at his home. Thus one of the oldest settlers and a man respected for his sterling integrity has passed away, and the family and large circle of friends and acquaintances are left mourning. He died a firm believer in the Christian religion. His aged wife of fifty-six years, standing, still occupies the old home where they settled in 1838. They celebrated their golden wedding March 27, 1884. They were married in Indiana. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 332-333]
Conrad Mayreis, of Beardstown, was born in Hess-Darmstadt in 1842. His parents lived and died in the same place. He was given a common German schooling and when fifteen years of age came to this country and came on at once to Beardstown, Illinois, having left a sister, Sophia, in New York city, who had been the first of the family to cross the ocean. Sophia has been employed by the same family for the last forty years. Their family is represented by two-other sister, Caroline and Mary and brother, John. Mr. Mayreis came here in 1857, learned the trade of boot and shoe maker and followed it until 1861. He then enlisted in Company R, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteers, Captain Reynolds in command, the regiment being known as the Springfield regiment, Colonel Palmer (ex-Governor) in command. Mr. Mayreis served with his regiment as Corporal of his company for two years and three months, in the Army of the Tennessee, and fought in the battles of Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, siege of Pittsburg and other minor engagements. He escaped unhurt and received honorable discharge at Vicksburg, Tennessee, and on his return to Beardstown engaged in the boot and shoe business from 1864 to 1886 and in the meantime superintended work on a farm, which he has improved and owns in Cass county. He started his present business of dealer in wines and liquors, in 1885, at the corner of Main and Washington streets and has since connected with it a well kept cafe. He is also agent for the Anheuser Busch Brewing Company of St. Louis at this place.
He was married in this city to Miss Anna Mooman, who was born at Bielefeld, Germany, in 1844 and came with her parents when she was two years of age to the United States. The family settled at Beardstown where Mr. and Mrs. Mooman both died, being consistent members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Mayreis is the father of seven children: Frank, a partner in his father's business; Edward, who runs the restaurant; Conrad, at present running the farm; Minnie, wife of E. Rink; Henry, who is at an institute in St. Louis; Louis is at home in the public school; and Maria is also at home. Mr. Mayreis is a sound Republican in politics and has taken an active part in local matters, having an interest in the advancement of the city and county. Mr. and Mrs. Mayreis are leaders among their people and their children have all received a good education. They are all highly respected and admired by their large circle of friends. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 314-315]
MERSCHER, Rev. Father
Rev. Father Merscher, the popular and efficient pastor of St. Augustine's Catholic Church, Ashland, Illinois, was born in Clinton county, this State, December 4, 1853. His parents were natives of Hanover, Germany, who came to America in 1845, landing in New Orleans, in January of that year. From there they came to Clinton county, Illinois where they located on a farm which the Rev. Merscher's father continued to conduct until about 1882, when he removed to Nodaway county, Missouri, where he lived until his death, ten years later, January 14, 1892. It may be truly said of him that he inherited all of the good qualities for which the inhabitants of the Fatherland are noted, being thoroughly industrious, honest, intelligent, and extremely kind-hearted, in consequence of which he was universally esteemed by his associates, who greatly lamented his death. Three years previous to his death, the family were called upon to mourn the loss of the devoted wife and mother, who expired February 2, 1889. Her devout spirit, loving heart, and rare Christian virtues, deeply impressed all who knew her, and she enjoyed the esteem of a wide circle of acquaintances and friends. The only brother of the subject of this sketch, B. Henry Merscher, died six months after his mother's death, August 24, 1889, in the same place, Nodaway, county.
Our subject, whose Christian name is John William, obtained his elementary education in the public schools of Clinton county. He then went to St. Joseph's College, at Teutopolis, Illinois, entering in 1866, and attending four years. After this, he attended St. Francis' Seminary, at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, graduating at that noted institution in 1876. While at this latter center of learning, he enjoyed the tutorage of some of the most distinguished men of the Catholic world, among whom were the late lamented Bishop Flasch, of LaCrosse, and Archbishop Katzer, of Milwaukee.
Thus fully equipped, both by instruction and example, he began his ministerial duties in January 12, 1877, at Olney, Illinois, and conducted the services in three churches in that vicinity, at Olney, Stringtown and Bridgeport, continuing in their charge until February, 1884. He was then transferred to Petersburg, of the same State, and conducted services there and at Ashland, with his residence at the former place. In 1885, these churches were place in separate jurisdictions, and Father Merscher removed to Ashland, where he has since remained, having taken charge of the church in February, 1884. Here he has everything to encourage him in his work, a beautiful church and an attractive parsonage, of modern architectural design, both of which are handsomely finished and neatly furnished. He has charge of a large and intelligent congregation, numbering some eight-five or ninety families, among whom he has many sincere friends and well wishers.
Thus pleasantly situated, and in the steady pursuance of the path of duty as spread out before him, his time is usefully and happily passed, finding in good works a companionship for his otherwise lonely life. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 356-357]
MEYER, Henry C.
Henry C. Meyer, a successful brick and tile manufacturer and ice dealer of Beardstown, Illinois, was born in Westphalia, Prussia, September 20, 1835. His parents were Henry C. and E. (Hildabrandt) Meyer. His father was an efficient soldier for fifteen years under the general command of the first Emperor William, when they were both young men. His father participated in many active engagements, and was highly respected by his superior officers. In 1843, the family emigrated to the United States, arriving after a voyage of fifteen weeks, in New Orleans, from which place they were nearly as long in reaching Evansville, Indiana, by the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. They settled in Knox county, Indiana, where, in 1857, the devoted wife and mother died some years later, the father came to Beardstown to visit his son, who had gone to that place some time before. He subsequently died at his son's home in 1878, at the age of seventy years. He was a man of sterling qualities of mind and heart, and enjoyed with his wife, the heartfelt esteem of all who knew them. Both parents were devout members of the Evangelical church.
The subject of this sketch came to Beardstown in 1857, when a poor, young man, having at that time only $5 in his pocket. He commenced, in a primitive manner, to work at his present business, moulding brick with his hands, which was then the usual way. He was thus employed when the Civil war broke out, and in 1861 he volunteered his services to the Government, but the quota having been filled he was not accepted. His purchased his first land in that year, near Arenzville. By unremitting industry and careful economy, he gradually accumulated means, which he invested in the best improvements obtainable for the manufacture of brick and tile, besides branching out in other directions. He now makes about 1,000,000 brick and many thousand rods of tile annually, being the largest manufacturer in that line in his county. He is also extensively engaged in the ice business, which he has successfully conducted for the past twenty years, his ice houses now having a capacity of 12,000 tons. He has gradually added to his first purchases of land, until he now owns 1,000 acres of choice realty in Cass county; 900 of which are well improved and cultivated, and 300 being under his own management.
He was married about 1862, to Miss Mollie Boy, who was born and raised near Arenzville, of which vicinity her people were early and respected pioneers. Both of her parents are now dead. Mr. and Mrs. Meyer have eight children, seven of whom survive; Louis, who married Till Pichler; Elizabeth, wife of A.E. Cameron, a successful jeweler of Beardstown; Albert, assisting his father at home; Lydia, wife of Charles Lebkucher, a prosperous farmer of this county; Mollie, Herold and Adalaide, living at home.
Politically, Mr. Meyer supports the issues of the Democratic party, and, while being no office seeker, takes an interest in all local and public affairs of importance. Both he and his worthy wife, are useful members of the Fourth Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Mr. Meyer has not attained his success without earnest and persistent endeavor; wholly unaided, he has, by industry and economy, acquired his present prosperity; while by upright dealings and uniform courtesy he has secured the universal esteem of his fellow men. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 329-330]
MEYER, Henry W.
Henry W. Meyer, a successful farmer and stock raiser of section 7, township 18, range 11, was born near Arenzville, this county, in 1853, December 26. He is the younger of the children, Fred and Catherine Meyer, the latter now deceased and the former yet living (see biography). Henry is the only one of the family who was born in the county. He was reared and educated in his native county. He has a farm of 133 acres, all well stocked. He has farmed it on his own account for thirteen years. He has spent his entire life in this county, as a farmer on his father's homestead. He also has sixty acres in another part of the county, of which part is under the plow.
He was married in this county, near where he now lives, to Minnie Kloker, of Cass county, born March 6, 1858. She was reared and educated in her native county, where she spent the remainder of her short life, dying at her home at the age of thirty-four, June 28, 1891. She was a good wife and mother, and her loss was deeply felt not only by her sorrowing family, but by all who knew her. She had been a member of the Lutheran Church since early girlhood. She was the mother of four children: Irvin E., Fred W., Lewis W., Rudolph H.; and they are all deceased excepting the youngest. Besides, the parents have adopted a girl, named Nora M. Mr. Meyer has reason to be proud of his children and his record here in the county, where he has always been a good, true citizen, a faithful member of the Lutheran Church and a staunch Republican. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 274]
MILLS, Richard Watson
Richard Watson Mills, one of the leading attorneys of Cass county, Illinois, was born in Jacksonville, Morgan county, this State, August 3, 1844.
His father, Chesley Mills, was born near Lebanon, Tennessee, son of James Mills, a native of the eastern shore of Maryland. James Mills was born during Revolutionary time, a son of John Mills, who lost his life in the Revolutionary war, and in Maryland he was reared. When a young man he went to Tennessee, married the daughter of Isaac Lindsey, located a few miles from the Hermitage, and resided there until 1808. That year he removed to the Territory of Missouri and located three miles from Hannibal, being one of the earliest settlers there. He improved a large farm and resided on it til the time of his death. Isaac Lindsey, his father-in-law, was a resident of Eastern Maryland at the breaking out of the Revolutionary war. He was loyal to the crown, but preferred not to fight on either side; so he sought the furtherest bounds of civilization, taking up his abode in the wilderness eight miles from the Hermitage. At that time the Indians were numerous and often there was trouble with them. For a long time the settlers all lived in block houses. He improved a farm in the locality which is still known as Lindsey's Bluff, and resided there till his death.
Chelsey Mills learned the trade of plasterer and bricklayer, which he followed till his death, in 1844. He married Harriet Cadwell, a native of Edwardsville, Madison county, Illinois, born on January 10, 1814, daughter of Dr. George Cadwell. Dr. Cadwell was born and reared in Vermont, and in 1799 went to Kentucky with his father-in-law, Matthew Lyon. He objected strenuously to the institution of slavery, and in 1804 came to the Territory of Illinois, becoming one of the original settlers of Madison county. He resided there till 1820, when he went to Morgan county with his wife and children, making the journey with flatboats via the Mississippi and Illinois rivers to Naples. He located near Lynnville, being the first physician to settle in Morgan county, and continued practice there till the time of his death. The maiden name of his wife, grandmother of the subject of our sketch, was Parmelia Lyon. She was born in Vermont. Her father, Matthew Lyon, was born in Ireland, of Scotch ancestry, and when a young man came to America and located in Vermont, where he married the daughter of Governor Chittenden, the first governor of Vermont. He took part in the Revolutionary war and attained the rank of General. After the war, he represented Vermont two terms in Congress. He was the first victim under the sedition Act, the charge being that of speaking disrespectfully of John Adams, the President of the United States. He was sentenced to six months imprisonment and fined $1,000; served his time in jail and paid his fine. In 1799, he emigrated to Kentucky and located in Lyon county, which is named in honor of him. He founded the town of Eddyville, the county seat of Lyon county, and became a prominent and wealthy man. He was a slave owner and trader. While residing there he was sent as a representative to Congress. He removed from Kentucky to the Territory of Arkansas, was among the pioneers of Helena, and soon after his arrival there was sent as delegate to Congress. He did in Arkansas about 1825.
The mother of our subject now resides in Jacksonville. She reared five children: Thomas, spent his last years in Dakota; Emily, married Thomas W. Jones, of Ritchie, Will county, Illinois; Martha, married Henry Demarest; George, resides in San Francisco, California, and is a member of the Judson Manufacturing Company of Oakland.
Richard W. Mills received his early education in the district schools. He was in his seventeenth year when the war broke out, and he enlisted in Company B Tenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and went with the company to Cairo. He was there rejected on account of his age, and returned home. He had been at home, however, only a few days when he again enlisted, this time in Company F, Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was accepted. He went South with his regiment and remained with it till after his term of service had expired. He participated in the battles of Stone River and Mission Ridge, and was in the reserve at Chickamauga. After his return home he received an academic education at Jacksonville, after which he taught school four years. During that time he commenced the study of law with Judge Cyrus Epler, and in May, 1870, was admitted to the bar. He practiced with Judge Epler till 1871, an January 6 of that year he came to Virginia, where he has since been engaged in a successful law practice.
February 4, 1873, he married Matilda A. Tate, a native of Cass county, Illinois, and a daughter of Dr. Harvey Tate. She died March 26, 1884. His second marriage was consummated November 29, 1889, with Nellie W. Epler, a native of Cass county, her parents being William and Jennie Epler.
Mr. Mills is a member of Virginia Lodge, No. 544, A.F. & M.; Clark Chapter, No. 29, R.A.M.; Hospitaller Commandery, No. 31, K.T. Politically, he has always affiliated with and been an ardent and efficient worker in the Republican party. He has served as Master in Chancery.
Mrs. Mills' father, William Epler, a resident of the city of Virginia, was born in what is now Princeton precinct, Cass county, Illinois, April 15, 1835. His father, John Epler, was born in that part of Lancaster now included in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, April 15, 1795. His father, the great-grand-father of Mrs. Mills, Abram Epler, was born in the same locality. His father, great-great-grandfather of Mrs. Mills, John Epler, was born in Germany, and was reared there to young manhood, and in 1734, with his brother Peter, came to America. They located near Reading, Berks county, Pennsylvania. They were Lutherans and established a church of that denomination there. Peter's descendants removed to Northumberland county; John's removed to that part of Lancaster now included in Dauphin county in 1768. He purchased a tract of land there, which he occupied till his death in 1782. A natural bowlder marks his resting place, upon which is inscribed a shield, his name and the date of his death. The farm which he owned is now in possession of his great-great-grandson. He reared three sons and one daughter.
Abram Epler was reared and married in Pennsylvania, and resided there till 1798. Then, with his wife and three children, he removed to Kentucky, making the journey across the mountains with teams, down the Ohio river on flatboats to the Falls of the Ohio, landing at the site of the present city of Louisville. He remained there two years; then crossed the river into Northwest Territory, and located in what is now included in Clark county, Indiana. There he erected a log cabin in the wilderness. In 1807 he built a stone house there, which is still standing, it being the oldest stone house, in a good state of preservation, in the State of Indiana. He resided there until 1832, when he came to Illinois. He died in Cass county in 1837. The maiden name of his wife was Anna Oldweiler. She was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, October 26, 1768, and died at the home of her son George, May 3, 1847. There were eleven children born to them, all of whom reached adult years: Elizabeth Norris, John, Nancy Austin, Abram, Catherine, Blizard, Jacob, David, Sarah Weir, Isaac, George, Mary Short.
John Epler, grandfather of Mrs. Mills, was but three years old when his parents moved to Kentucky, and five years old when they moved to the Northwest Territory. There he was reared and married. He resided in Clark county till 1831, when with his wife and six children, he came to Illinois; made the journey with teams, and after three weeks' travel landed in Cass county. He bought a tract of land on which he engaged in farming and was very successful in his operations. From time to time he purchased other lands until he became the owner of 1,200 acres in Cass and Morgan counties. He spent the last years of his life in Virginia and died May 25, 1876. The maiden name of his wife was Sarah Beggs. She was born in what is now Clark county, Indiana, April 28, 1800. His father, Charles Beggs, was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, October 30, 1775, and his father, Thomas Beggs, was born in the same county. He took part in the Revolutionary war and died in the service. Charles Beggs was reared and married in Virginia, and resided there till 1798, when he moved to Kentucky. In 1799 he removed to the Northwest Territory and settled in that part now included in Clark county, Indiana. He served in the war of 1812, and fought with Harrison at the battle of Tippecanoe; was an old Whig, and personal friend of General Harrison; served in both the Indiana Territorial and State Legislatures; resided in Clark county till 1829. In 1829 he came to Illinois and was one of the pioneers of Morgan county. He bought a tract of land and resided on it till his death, October 21, 1869. The maiden name of his wife was Martha Trumbo. She was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, March 16, 1778, and died May 12, 1811. Four of her children grew to maturity: Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary and George. The grandmother of Mrs. Mills died January 11, 1882. Twelve of her children were reared: Charles, Abram, Cyrus, Mary A, Barrett, Sarah Fairbank, Elizabeth Hall, John M., William, David, Myron L., Ellen Prince, and Albert G.
William Epler, father of Mrs. Mills, was reared in his native county, and received his early education in the pioneer schools here, and subsequently attended Illinois College, Jacksonville. He has been prominently identified with the business interests of Virginia many years. The maiden name of Mrs. Epler, wife of William Epler, was Jane Abigail Woodman. She was born at Paw Paw, Michigan, March 6, 1838. From a genealogical record of the Woodman family, compiled by Jabez H. Woodman, we learn that there were two brother, Edward and Archalaus Woodman, native of Christian Malford, a parish in Wiltshire, England, came to America in 1635, and settled in Newbury, Massachusetts. There descendants are numerous and are scattered in various parts of the United States. It seems from this that Mrs. Mills is a descendant of Edward. The second in line was his son Edward, the third in line his son Archalaus, the next in line Archalaus' son Joseph, born May 4, 1714. He married Bridget Willey in 1762. He died in Wheelock, Vermont, November, 1807. His son John, great grandfather of Mrs. Mills, married Sarah Foy. He died at Lyndon, Vermont, December 6, 1853, aged ninety years. His son, David Woodman, grandfather of Mrs. Mills was born in New England, July 27, 1793. He removed from New England to New York State, thence to Michigan, and from there to Oketo, Kansas, where his death occurred August 28, 1892, aged ninety-nine years and one month. His wife, grandmother of Mrs. Mills, was Abigail Gray. The mother of Mrs. Mills died in the State of Nebraska, October 2, 1863, in the twenty-sixth year of her age. Mr. Epler, father of Mrs. Mills, now has a piece copied from an English history, that was published in 1615, that gave an account of the trial and burning at the stake at Lewis, in Sussex, England, of Richard Woodman, June 22, 1557, on account of his religious convictions. He was tried before the Bishops of Chichester and Winchester. He was very tenacious of his opinions, as are said to be some of the Woodmans of the present day. The parents of Mrs. Mills were married at the home of the bride's brother-in-law, Colonel John B. Culver, at Duluth, Minnesota, April 12, 1859. At that time Duluth was an Indian trading post, and they were the first white settlers ever married there. Mr. Epler was there in the employ of the United States Government as a civil engineer. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 253-256]
MOHLMANN, William G.
William G. Mohlmann, proprietor of the furniture and undertaking establishment at the corner of Main and Jefferson streets, was born in the city of Beardstown, July 10, 1866. His father, William, was born in Prussia and was the son of Henry, who was also a Prussian. He grew up there and learned the trade of cabinet maker. He married a Prussian lady of good family, and after most of their children were born, and when their son William was thirteen years old, in 1849, came to the United States. He finally settled in Beardstown and established a business, which was managed by Henry Mohlmann until his death in 1881, at the age of seventy-eight years. It was afterward carried on by William Mohlmann until his death in 1891. He was a good business man, a public-spirited citizen and one that did much for the city. His wife, as well as mother, is still living, the latter being about eighty years of age. The mother of William G. was named Lydia Lohmann, a Prussian. She was yet young when she came with her parents to the United States, and her mother is still living, smart, bright and active. The whole family were identified with the Lutheran Church.
William G. Mohlmann is the second of seven children. He grew up and obtained a practical education, and learned his business by growing up in it. He afterward took a course in the College of Embalming in Chicago. The business was established by the grandfather, Henry, in 1858. Until 1876 most of the goods were manufactured by the firm. At that time William F. became sole proprietor, and in 1891 William G. became half owner, and after the death of his father the sole proprietor. The convenient building now in use was recently built by the present owner. It was completed in July, 1891. Mr. Mohlmann occupies a double store, basement and first and second floors, 50 x 80 feet, all stocked with goods.
He was married in Virginia, February 18, 1892, to Miss Rose Leggett of North Carolina. Mr. and Mrs. Mohlmann are young society people of Beardstown. Mr. Mohlmann is a member of the blue lodge and chapter, A.F. & A.M. of Beardstown and Rushville, and Commandery No. 56, and Senior Deacon in blue lodge and Royal Arch Captain in chapter. He is no office-seeker, but is a Democrat in politics. He is yet a young man, but full of business and is bound to succeed. [Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois - 1892; pg. 234-235]
BACK -- HOME
© Genealogy Trails