genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
JAMES RILEY ANDERSON is connected with one of Taylorville's leading industries, being a partner in the Anderson Brothers Brick and Tile Factory, and manager of the south yard. He has carried on business along this line for fifteen years, or since 1878, when, in connection with his brothers, he began operations on a small scale. The products of their factory meeting the popular idea of what such articles should be, they have succeeded in building up what is now a very large trade. They own two extensive yards, furnish employment to many hands, and are now at the head of one of the most prominent business interests of Christian County.

The subject of this sketch was born in Greene County, Ind., March 26, 1856. His grandfather, William Anderson, was a native of Kentucky, and from there emigrated to the Hoosier State, where his son, William Anderson, the father of our subject, was born and reared. Having arrived at years of maturity, he married Miss Nancy Turner, a native of Indiana, as was also her father. Six children were born of this union, all sons: Cyrus; William T., now deceased; Arch; Samuel; James R.; and Charles T., also deceased.

When a young man the father of this family engaged in clerking, and also acted as steamboat pilot on White River. It was in 1858 that he came to Illinois, and located twelve miles south of Pana with his wife and six children. His death occurred shortly afterward, but his wife still survives him. She is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, to which Mr. Anderson also belonged.

James R. Anderson, whose name heads this record, was a babe of only two years when his parents came to Illinois. The days of his boyhood and youth were passed in this county. When a

lad of ten summers, he came with his mother and the family to Taylorville, where he has since made his home. His education was acquired in its public schools, and his history has been identified with that of the community.

The lady who now bears the name of Mrs. Anderson was in her maidenhood Miss Mary A. Brown, daughter of J. W. and Rebecca (Catherwood) Brown. The marriage ceremony was performed on the 21st of March, 1883, and their union has been blessed with a family of five children, four of whom are yet living: Ralph, Bessie, Roscoe and Essie. Eva, the third child, died at the age of four years.

Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and are numbered among the most highly respected citizens of this community. In politics, he is a supporter of Republican principles. He owns a fine farm of one hundred and seventy-two acres, south of Taylorville, which yields to him a good income, besides his own residence in the city, and the one in which his mother resides. The Anderson Brothers are among the most prominent business men of the community, and may truly be called self-made men, for their father died when they were quite young, and they started out in life empty-handed, so that the success that has crowned their efforts is but the result of their own achievements.

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails