Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
SAMUEL ANDERSON, a member of the well-known firm of Anderson Bros., extensive brick manufacturers and contractors and builders of Taylorville, has been connected with this business since a lad of thirteen years, for his uncle was then owner of a yard, and in course of time he succeeded to an interest in the same. His history is the life record of a self-made man. He was born December 3, 1853, near Bloomfield, Greene County, Ind., and when he was only three years of age the family removed to Montgomery County, Ill., locating upon a farm. His father, William Anderson, was a native of Kentucky. While en route for Illinois he was taken sick, and died a few days after reaching his destination, leaving his widow with six children to care for and support.
Mrs. Anderson bore the maiden name of Nancy Turner, and is a native of Tennessee. At her husband's death her eldest child was only ten years of age. They had secured forty acres of land, and she began to make a home for her children, resolving to keep the family together if possible. In order to supply their needs and wants, she engaged in weaving carpets and jeans, and thus met the expenses of the family. As soon as the boys were old enough they would secure work with neighboring farmers, and thus the family income was somewhat increased.
Upon the home farm Mrs. Anderson remained until 1865. In the spring of the following year she came to Taylorville, where she is now living at the age of sixty-five years. Hers has been a noble life, and her labors in behalf of her children will never be forgotten. While providing for the temporal wants of her children, she also instilled into their minds lessons of honor and morality, and she is now blessed with the knowledge that her sons are honored and respected wherever they go. She is a faithful and consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
The second son of the family, William T. Anderson, purchased a brickyard in 1872, but after carrying it on a few months his death occurred, in 1873, and the business was closed up. Charles T., the youngest son, died just ten days before his brother, of the same disease cerebro-spinal mengitis [ed., cerebrospinal meningitis].
As before stated, at the age of thirteen years, Samuel Anderson began working in a brickyard, and for some time continued in the employ of his uncle, J. R. Turner. His brothers also learned this business, and after a number of years they succeeded to the business owned by their uncle. In the fall of 1873 Samuel and Cyrus went to Denver, Colo., where they engaged in laying brick. In 1880 the firm of Anderson Bros., was established, composed of Samuel, Archelaus and James R. They began the manufacture of brick and tile with a capital of about $3,000, and during the first year manufactured about seventy-five thousand tile and one million brick. They now have about $15,000 invested in the business, and during the past year they made one million eight hundred thousand brick and about five hundred thousand tile. They operate two factories, one situated on the east side of the town near the coal shaft, and the other to the southeast. With these are twelve and sixteen acres of clay, respectively. Employment is furnished to about twenty-five hands, and all of the latest improved machinery is used. The brick is burned in both up and down draft kilns. The business is now established on a solid financial basis and is constantly increasing.
The firm of Anderson Bros, is also engaged in contracting and building, and does an annual business amounting to about $15,000. Besides doing brick work, they also contract for the entire building, and have erected some of the most important structures in this community, including the High School building at a cost of $23,000, the new double brick block at the southeast corner of the square at a cost of $11,500, and the brick work on the new Methodist Episcopal Church. The members of the firm are men of good business ability, practical and progressive, and, as a result of their enterprise and labor, have achieved success.
On the 29th of May, 1890, was celebrated the marriage of Samuel Anderson and Miss Emma Slater, daughter of Dr. L. B. and Sarah Slater. Their union has been blessed with one son, Everett Slater, who was born December 26, 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are worthy members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and in social circles they hold an enviable position. Our subject also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. In connection with his other business interests, he is also Vice-President of the Taylorville Coal Company, was one of its incorporators, and since its organization has been one of its board of managers, consisting of three members. To this enterprise he has given considerable time and attention, and it is one of the leading concerns of the city. To such men as Anderson Bros, the prosperity of the town is due, aid they are numbered among its valued citizens.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails