Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.
Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.
|DIAL DAVIS, of Mt. Auburn, has lived in Christian
County since 1832, when he was a small lad, and his life history therefore has been closely interwoven with that
of the community in which he has dwelt for more than sixty years, and a history of the representative men of Christian
County would be sadly incomplete if his was not placed among the others.
Mr. Davis is a native son of Illinois, born in Sangamon County January 10, 1826. His father, John Davis, was born in Tennessee, in that State passed his youth, and was married to Sarah Milligian, also of Tennessee. In 1818, Mr. Davis came to Illinois, and settled near the present thriving city of Springfield. For a few years he lived upon a tract of land east of Clear Creek. He afterwards located south of Mechanicsburg, and while there he spent the memorable winter of incredibly deep snow, well remembered by the hardy pioneers and first settlers of Illinois. In 1832, he came to what is now Christian County, and opened up a farm in Mt. Auburn Township. Here he passed his declining years, dying in 1847. His wife's death occurred some years previously.
During the boyhood days of Dial Davis, education was obtained under rather trying circumstances, as the nearest schoolhouse was situated four miles from his home. In June, 1846, he enlisted for the Mexican War, joining Company C, Fourth Illinois Infantry, under Capt. Pugh and Col. E. D. Baker. The company to which Mr. Davis belonged was raised in Decatur. With his regiment he went to Mexico, and passed the twelvemonths term of his enlistment in active service, participating in the battles of Cerro Gordo and Vera Cruz under the noted commander, Gen. Scott. He was honorably discharged in June, 1847, receiving a land warrant for his services. This he traded for a piece of land in Mt. Auburn Township. After improving this property, he sold it, in 1852, and bought other land, on which he located and opened up a large farm. At this time he is the owner of thirteen hundred acres of choice farming land and business property in Mt. Auburn. He has a substantial and commodious residence and has made valuable improvements on his farm.
In his political affiliations, Mr. Davis is a Democrat and cast his first Presidential ballot for Lewis Cass. In local politics he has also been greatly interested, and after returning from his service in the Mexican War, he was elected to the position of Constable, and served in that capacity very creditably for eleven years. He has also served as Supervisor and Collector of the township, and was one of the Commissioners who laid out Mt. Auburn Township. Our public-school system has always been strongly supported by him, as, in short, have all public enterprises.
On the 4th of February, 1852, Mr. Davis was united in marriage in Mechanicsburg, Sangamon County, with Miss Edmonia E. Hesser, who died July 4, 1864. Three children of this union are still living. Charles E. is married and lives in Mt. Auburn; Sallie D. is the wife of E. R. Mooney, of the same place; and Carrie E. is the wife of William L. Rasor. The three children now deceased are Frank P., Henry N. and Dial M., who died at the ages of twenty-five, twenty and fifteen years, respectively.
Our subject was again married, in 1867, when Miss Hulda J. Stobaugh became his wife. She is a native of Indiana, and a daughter of James Stobaugh, formerly of Indiana. One daughter, Nellie M., has blessed this union. She is the wife of George W. Morgret, of Mt. Auburn Township. Our subject and his wife are members of the Christian Church of Mt. Auburn, and with their family are highly esteemed in social circles.
© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails