|Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical
sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the
state, and of the Presidents of the United States. Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.
Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
AURELIUS M. HEWITT, one of the extensive
land-owners of Christian County,
is engaged in farming in Bear Creek
Township. He is now making his home at his pleasant residence
in Palmer. He is a son of William
T. and Andronica (Gibson) Hewitt, and was born in Christian County, Ky., February 19, 1849. The father was a native of Virginia, as was also his father.
He followed farming and stock-raising in
the Old Dominion for a livelihood until 1851, when he emigrated to Illinois.
He located in this county, on land now comprised within Johnson
Township. There he entered and purchased land to the extent
of some six hundred acres, and lived in that neighborhood until the death of his wife, in 1857, when he removed
to the old Vincent place, where his remaining years were passed.
Our subject's mother was a member of the
Christian Church, and was a most lovable and noble lady. She had a family of three sons and three daughters, our
subject being the third child. The others are as follows: Francis M., Olive C., James B., Laura J. and Hannah L.
After the death of his first wife, William Hewitt was married to Miss Mary R. Wilcoxson, by whom he had three sons,
William T., Lee Davidson and Omer B. The father died in 1890, at the good old age of seventy-five years.
The subject of this notice was an infant
of only two years when his parents came to this county. He was reared and received his early education in the neighborhood
where he has spent a large portion of his life. He supplemented his early education by a course of study in Eureka College, which is located
in Eureka, Ill., and in order to
fit himself for business life went to Bailey's Commercial
College, at Keokuk, Iowa. Upon the completion of his studies he engaged in teaching school,
following that vocation for about ten years during the winter season.
County, on the 15th of February, 1883, Mr. Hewitt and Miss
Nancy F. Anderson were united in marriage. Mrs. Hewitt was the daughter of Thomas and Virginia B. (Trailer) Anderson.
She became the mother of three children: Inez A., Nigel B. and Brice. Mr. Hewitt lost his wife, who died on the
15th of December, 1891, aged only twenty-six years.
After teaching for a number of years, as
previously stated, Mr. Hewitt concluded to devote his energies to agricultural pursuits, which have been his main
occupation since that time. He has made a particular business of raising and shipping stock, and has also been
interested in the general stores in Palmer, Morrisonville and Harvey, Ill. At the present time he owns an interest with W. L. Long in a general
merchandise store at Morrisonville.
He is the owner of land in Taylorville, South Fork, Bear
Creek, Johnson and Ricks Townships,
these farms comprising fully seven hundred acres. He also is the owner of a residence and other property in Palmer, and other real estate
elsewhere. In politics, he is a Democrat. He is a man who has acquired his fortune through his own efforts
and industry, and has shown good business ability and correct business methods in the management of his affairs.