genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p246.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
JAMES H. JOHNSTON, a well-to-do farmer of Johnson Township, has been engaged in farming in Christian County for nearly forty years, and has been a prominent factor in the development of this region. He was born in Delaware County, Ohio, November 22, 1836. He removed with his parents to Madison County, the same State, and later arrived in this county in 1854.

Our subject's father, Alexander Johnston, was born in Ireland in 1818. His father was a soldier in the British army for five years. In 1825, Alexander Johnston crossed the Atlantic and first settled in Pike County, Pa. In 1831, he emigrated to Ohio, where the following year he married Susan Allen, who was born and reared in Delaware County, that State. She was of German origin, her father having emigrated from the Fatherland and settled in Virginia at an early day. Mr. Johnston died in 1871, and lies buried in Anderson Cemetery, Johnson Township. His wife, who died two years later, now rests by his side in the same cemetery. They were the parents of eleven children, our subject being the second in order of birth.

Until reaching his majority, James H. Johnston resided with his parents and received a good education. Having been brought up to the business of farming and stock-raising, he felt himself best qualified for that occupation and chose it as his life work. He has been successful to an eminent degree in his business undertakings, as will be seen from the fact that he is at present the owner of five hundred and sixty acres of fertile farm land, which is all under good improvement and is well stocked with horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. Mr. Johnston usually has on hand from one hundred to one hundred and fifty head of cattle, and from one hundred and fifty to two hundred and fifty head of hogs. He is also engaged in buying, selling and shipping live stock to a considerable extent, is a good judge of their value, and has made considerable money in that direction. He is well known as one of the principal farmers of the township, and has made his home on his present farm for some fifteen years. He has a pleasant and comfortable residence and good farm buildings upon the place.

The marriage of Mr. Johnston took place March 18, 1879, when Miss Hattie Murray, of La Salle County, Ill., became his wife. They have had born to them five children, who are all living and at home. In order of birth they are as follows: Eugene, Grace, Pearl, Blanche and James. The parents are highly respected citizens, and are well received in the social circles of the neighborhood in which they dwell. Our subject is a Democrat politically, and is a member of the Masonic order.
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails