|Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical
sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the
state, and of the Presidents of the United States. Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p249.
Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
BEVERLY VAN BUREN MARTIN, who is engaged
in the dray and transfer business in Taylorville,
comes from the far-off State of West Virginia. He was born in
County, on the 6th of July, 1840, and is a
son of John B. and Mary Ann (Wood) Martin, who were both natives of the Old Dominion. His grandfather, Levi Martin,
was born in West
Virginia, and there followed the occupation
of farming for many years. He was called to his final rest in 1845, when about eighty-five years of age. The maternal
grandfather of our subject, Alexander Wood, carried on agricultural pursuits in Virginia,
the State of his nativity.
Of the family of ten children, numbering
six sons and four daughters, to which our subject belonged, six are now living, namely: Martha E., wife of Monterville
Bartlett; Emery; Catherine E., wife of John Payne; Beverly V. B., whose name heads this sketch; Cree; and Homer.
The father of this family carried on farming and stock-dealing in West Virginia, where his death occurred in February, 1892, at the ripe old age of eighty-four years. He had long
survived his wife, who had passed away in 1851. Both were consistent members of the Methodist Church. Mr. Martin
was a second time married, the lady of his choice being Miss Hannah Bailey, a daughter of Albert Bailey, of Virginia. She now makes her home in Des Moines, Iowa.
The subject of this sketch remained upon
the home farm in the State of his birth until sixteen years of age, when he began the study of medicine. For two
years his energies were directed along that line, after which he went to California,
in 1861, spending four years upon the Pacific Slope. Returning to West Virginia in 1865, he there remained until 1870, when he determined to seek a home in the West. Coming to Illinois,
he located in Dorchester, where he embarked
in merchandising and also engaged in buying stock. It was in the centennial year of 1876 that he went to Staunton,
where he carried on the livery business until 1880. That year witnessed his arrival in Taylorville.
Here he again opened a livery stable, carrying on business along that line until September, 1892, when he sold
out to Messrs. Fisher & Kinney. He also imported Clyde,
and Norman stallions. Since disposing of his livery business he has continued in the dray and transfer business.
On the 22d of May, 1871, Mr. Martin was
united in marriage with Miss Mary Ann Wayne, a daughter of Churchill and Mary (Kellar) Wayne, of Dorchester. By
their union they became the parents of four children, all sons: John, Frank, Alonzo and Harry. The first-named
died at the age of seventeen years, but the other children are still with their parents.
Socially, Mr. Martin is connected with the
Ancient Order of United Workmen,
and his wife holds membership with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He votes with the Republican
party and is a stanch supporter of its principles.
He was honored with the office of Mayor of
Taylorville for a term of two years, was Supervisor
for two terms, and has been School Director and President of the East School Board for seven years. With promptness
and fidelity his public duties were discharged. The cause of education finds in him a warm friend and he has done
effective service in its interests. Besides his residence and other city property in Taylorville,
Mr. Martin owns one hundred and sixty acres of farming land in South Dakota. He has a wide acquaintance throughout this community and by his pleasant, genial manner and excellencies
of character has won many warm friends.