genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893, p241.  Transcribed by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.

J.H. MARTIN, who carries on farming and stock-raising on section 34, Buckhart Township, is numbered among the early settlers of the community, and for more than twenty years he has resided upon the farm which he now makes his home. He was born in Lawrence County, Ind., November 3, 1838, and is the sixth in order of birth in a family of eight children. His paternal grandfather, Abram Martin, who was of English descent, was born in Kentucky, and served in the War of 1812. The father of our subject, Lewis Martin, was a native of the Hoosier State. He married Rachel Garrison, who died when J. H. was quite a small lad, after which he again married.

Mr. Martin whose name heads this record came with his father and step-mother to Illinois when a youth of ten summers, and remained with them until he had attained his majority. In 1861, a marriage ceremony was performed which united his destiny with that of Lucy J. Jones. She was born in Illinois, and is of Welsh descent. Her parents were natives of Tennessee. They began their domestic life upon a rented farm in Sangamon County, and in 1862 came to Christian County, Mr. Martin renting land near Edinburgh. He afterward purchased a farm, which he subsequently sold, and in 1871 he became owner of his present place of residence. It was then but slightly improved, but a great transformation has taken place in its appearance in the years which have since passed. It now comprises three hundred and twenty acres, all under a high state of cultivation. It is supplied with three houses, good barns and all the other necessary buildings. All the equipments of a model farm are there found, and the place seems complete in all its appointments.

Eleven children were born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Martin, of whom nine are yet living: Isaac; James M.; Leona Belle, wife of Henry Miller, of Oklahoma; Lucretia, wife of Frank Brown, a farmer of Buckhart Township; Charlie; Emma, wife of Irvin Donner, of Buckhart Township; Martha, of Chicago; Pearl, at home; and Grover, who completes the family.

Mr. Martin started out in life for himself empty-handed. His possessions consisted only of a team of horses and a wagon, and he had gone in debt for these to the extent of $150. With the exception of five years spent in Edinburgh, he has always followed agricultural pursuits. He also engages in stock-raising, owning an imported English Shire stallion and several standard-bred trotting horses, including "Mandett," a Hambletonian. He also has a fine colt, "Maywood." His good management, careful attention to the details of his business, and his perseverance and industry have brought him a high degree of success, which now places him among the substantial farmers of the community. In politics he votes with the Democratic party on questions of National importance. He has long been a resident of Christian County, has watched with interest its progress and upbuilding, and has aided materially in its advancement.

 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails