genealogy trails

Christian County Illinois

Named after Christian County in Kentucky through the influence of emigrants from that county.

Established February 15, 1839 as Dane County (Laws, 1839, p. 104). Name changed to Christian County in 1840.

Portrait and biographical record of Christian County, Illinois : containing biographical sketches of prominent and   representative citizens, together with biographies of all the Governors of the state, and of the Presidents of the United States.  Chicago, Ill. : Lake City Pub. Co., 1893.  Transcribed and annotated by Judy Rosella Edwards, 2007.
REV. WILLIAM W. WEEDON, pastor of the Christian Church of Taylorville, was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, December 23, 1846, and his parents, Samuel and Letitia (Farr) Weedon, were natives of the same State. The paternal grandfather, James Weedon, however, was a native of Virginia, and was a farmer by occupation. In an early day he emigrated to Illinois and located in Wayne County, where he spent the remainder of his life.

Samuel Weedon has always been an agriculturist. Although in early life he learned the cooper's trade, he followed that pursuit for only a short time. In Ohio he married Miss Farr, daughter of William Farr, a native of Virginia, who in an early day removed to Ohio, living for many years in Columbiana County, where his last days were spent.

Mrs. Weedon died in 1854. She was a member of the United Brethren Church. In her family were four children, two sons and two daughters, but Teresa C., the eldest, is now deceased. William W. is the next in order of birth; Rachel A. is the wife of Lindley W. Rossiter, of St. Louis; Leven H. completes the family.

After the death of his first wife, Mr. Weedon was married, in 1856, to Sarah A. Casebeer, daughter of Samuel Casebeer. She too was a member of the United Brethren Church, and her death occurred in 1876.

The present wife of Samuel Weedon was formerly Mrs. Joan Hood. They were married in 1879, and arc now living near Fairfield, in Wayne County, Ill. Mr. Weedon came to this State in 1860, and has since lived in Wayne County, where he owns a farm of forty acres. He is a member of the Christian Church, and a highly respected citizen.

The subject of this sketch was a youth of fourteen years when he came to Illinois. He acquired his early education in the public schools of Ohio, afterward attended in Wayne County, and completed his studies in the High School in Fairfield [ed., Fairfield Community High School].

He lived at home until the war broke out, when he entered the service as a member of Company G, Eighth Illinois Infantry, in which he served one year, participating in the battles of Spanish Fort and Ft. Blakeley and the engagements of the Mobile campaign. After the war he spent one year at home, and then went back to Ohio, where he farmed and worked at carpentering.

In June, 1867, Mr. Weedon was united in marriage with Miss Julia A. Morlan, a daughter of Salathiel and Minerva (Burson) Morlan, of Ohio. Three children were born unto them, a son and two daughters, but all are now deceased. They were Edwin S., who died in childhood; Lettie M., who became the wife of William Darnell, of Kansas City, Mo., where she died in her twenty-third year; and Lillie, who died in her eighteenth year. The mother of this family died in June, 1872, in the faith of the Christian Church, of which she was a consistent member.

Two years after the death of his wife, Mr. Weedon left Ohio, and in 1874 came to Illinois, locating in Cisne for a short time. On the 24th of December, 1874, he married Miss Carrie Van Fossen, of Cisne, daughter of Dr. T. and Christina (Lamp) Van Fossen. Their union has been blessed with four children, two sons and two daughters: Fred O., Lulu Mabel, Frank L. and Sarah Edna, all at home.

Feeling a desire to enter the ministry, in 1876, Mr. Weedon began studying to fit himself for what he now makes his life work, and in 1878 passed his ordination, and in 1879 accepted a pastorate at Brownstown, Fayette County, Ill. Since then he has preached at Edinburgh, South Fork, Assumption, Blue Mound, Barnett and Taylorville. He has occupied the last-named pastorate for about seven years. The weak congregation of which he took charge is now a strong one, and during his work here he has received about two hundred and fifty into the church, besides receiving hundreds of others while working in the evangelistic field. Through the instrumentality of Mr. Weedon, a fine new church building is now being erected, costing about $15,000, the Davis Memorial Christian Church. He is untiring in his labors, and his example, as well as his precept, has led many to walk in the right path.

Our subject is a member of the Odd Fellows' fraternity, and is at present serving his third term as Grand Chaplain of the State of Illinois. He has lectured frequently to Odd Fellows, and has filled all the subordinate offices in the lodge, being Noble Grand for three terms, and representative to the Grand Lodge. He is at present Past Chancellor of Mystic Lodge No. 64, K. P., and is Chaplain of the Second Regiment, Uniformed Rank. With Francis M. Long Post No. 347, G. A. R., he also holds membership.

In politics, he is a Republican. He was honored with an election to the Thirty-seventh Illinois General Assembly, being the nominee of the Republican party, though a minority candidate. He had a position on five important committees: Insurance, Libraries, Sanitary. Soldiers' and Orphans' Homes, and Military, and made one of the nomination speeches in favor of Richard J. Oglesby against John M. Palmer.

Mr. Weedon enters with enthusiasm and energy into any work that he undertakes, and his progressive spirit has no doubt been an important factor in much of his success. That he is loved by the people of his church is well indicated by his long-continued service, and outside of his own denomination he is also held in high regard.
 
 

HOME

© Judy Edwards and Genealogy Trails