A PIONEER RESIDENT OF CLARK COUNTY
Mrs. Jane Brooks, Living Near Casey, Is Perhaps the Oldest Native Born Woman Now Living In the State-In Frail Health.
One among the earliest pioneers of the county is Mrs. Jane Brooks, of Johnson Township, who is the oldest native born person in the county and perhaps the state. She was born near York, Clark County, Dec. 29, 1818 the year in which Illinois was admitted to the Union as a state, consequently she has lived under the national administrations of presidents from the time of James Monroe until the present incumbent and still remembers, the stiring times of the various campaigns. Shadrach Bond was governor at the time of her birth and thus she has lived under the administration of every governor elected in Illinois.
Mrs. Brooks resides with her daughter, Mrs. James Burk, near the old farm in Johnson township, which was entered from the government by her first husband, James Clayton Mount, a relative of the late Governor Mount of Indiana. Mrs. Brooks’ maiden name was Megeath and she was the daughter of James and Mary Megeath, who emigrated to this county from London County, Va., in 1816, and settled near York. She attended the early common schools of the county and her first teacher was a man from the state of New York by the name of Lloyd. The school books then used were Webster’s Blue Back spellers, the Introduction to the English reader and then the English reader; Murray’s grammar first and then Kirkham’s. The latter she says was difficult.
The early prominent ministers of her acquaintance were the Reverends Elder William S. Taylor, John Fox and Dr. Jospeh Oglesby, the latter both a noted preacher and physician. Rev. McCord was one of the early preachers of her time.
The pioneer physicians of her time and place were Drs. Oglesby, Patrick and McCullough, all of whom were eminent men of their day. Her former early neighbors, near York were the Prevos, the Jeff Coates, the Buckners, the Evans, the Pritchards, the Coopers, the Lacys, the Crons, the Findleys, the Hodges, the Hilliberts, the Richardsons, the Sparks, the Fletchers and others.
The Indians at that time still had homes in the county along the Racoon and the North Fork of the Embarras. They were of the Kickapoo tribe. Mrs. Brooks often attended the missionary gatherings at York and has heard the celebrated Indian chief, Keokuk speak, who, she says, was a grand and noble appearing savage, who wielded a wonderful influence over his people for their good.
Mrs. Brooks, (then Mrs. (Miss) Megeath) was married to James C. Mount on August 11, 1836, at Wilson’s tavern, in Palestine, by the Rev. Wm. McMurty, a Methodist minister. The gay party present on that occasion were James and Cynthia Megeath, Harrison and Lucy Ann Megeath, Jonathan and Tamar Hoge and Preston Mount, all of whom have long since passed away. James C. Mount died October 30, 1840 and lies in a cemetery bearing his name.
Jan. 12, 1847, Mrs. Brooks (Mrs. Mount) was married to James Brooks, at the residence of Jonathan and Tamar Hoge in Union Prairie, near York, Ill., by the Rev. Robert Bailiff, a Cumberland Presbyterian minister. Soon after this she again removed to her farm in Johnston township, from which she had been absent for about six years, and where she has resided most of the (very last part of the sentence has crumbled off).
[Source: Unknown newspaper, from the scrapbook of George W. Orndorff (1854-1934) of Casey & Johnson Twp, Clark County, transcribed by S. Barhydt, great-granddaughter (email@example.com)]
. . . December 2?, 19?? . . . and is thus nearing the close of his 89th year. He was the 11th child of a family of sixteen children. his parents moved to Illinois in 1816 and settled on a farm near York which is now owned by John S. Bradbury. Mr. Evans has thus lived in one community for more than 86 years and has witnessed the scenes that have taken place in the transformation of a wilderness into a land of beautiful homes where peace and plenty reign. When Mr. Evans was a youth there were wild animals in this country and bands of Indians often frequented the White settlements. The howl of the wolf was a common noise at night, and the farmers had to build stockades in which to keep their stock at night. Mr. Evans remembers seeing Indian squaws come to the village of York to trade. The squaws always carried their babes, or pappooses, strapped to boards and when they reached the store they would stand the boards against the outside of the building while they went inside to trade. A row of pappooses presented an odd sight, one he has never forgotten. Mr. Evans endured all the hardships incident to pioneer life. He now says that he can hardly understand how his mother managed to care for his large family.
The senior Evans was twice married and was the father or twenty-[five] children, sixteen by his first wife and nine [by his] second one. How the father provided for the . . . how the mother made clothing and cooked food for so many, is a problem that will puzzle parents of today. The family had nothing in the shape of a stove and all the cooking had to be done by the fire place, yet good and wholesome food was provided for all. To provide clothing the loom and spinning wheel had to be kept going almost the year round. To provide shoes for so many feet was more than the father could do and Uncle Nixon says he never had a pair of shoes until he was old enough to hire out and earn money to buy the shoes. he wore neither hat nor shoes except in winter.
In those days all the sugar the family [had was] what they made at the sugar ___p. The wheat was harvested with a sickle and cleaned by shaking it through a wooden riddle [after] it had been flailed or trampled out of the straw by horses.
When Mr. Evans was a youth there were no free public schools. Short subscription schools were taught but these he had the opportunity to attend but little. He taught one term of school of three months on the Martin Willard farm in Melrose township. The only subjects he taught were the reading, spelling, writing and arithmetic but he was quite successful. Along in the thirties he worked for Col. W. B. Archer. The Col. had a good library and Mr. Evans spent his spare moments reading and studying the good books of this library, and the hours thus spent were among the happiest and most profitable of his life.
Mr. Evans was first married to Miss Minerva Bartlett in 1837. he then entered the land where he now resides in Melrose township. He first built a small log cabin in the woods and then set about to clear his land. He worked hard all the week and preached on Sunday. When he had no work at home he would hire out and many a day he worked for only 25 cents. he continued his industries and frugal habits until old age came upon him, yet while he was vigorous he had amassed sufficient of this world's goods to enable him to pass his old age in comfort and ease. In addition to farming he run a sawmill during the winter for 35 years, his mill being one among the first operated in the southern part of the county.
Mr. Evans' first wife died in 1853 and he was married a second time to Clarissa Hungerford of Darwin who still lives to care for and comfort him in his declining years. By his first marriage he was the father of six children of whom only two, Iradell of Melrose and Warren B. of West York, are living. The fruits of his second Marriage were six children of whom the following are living; Mrs. Minerva Fowler of Melrose township, Mrs. Julia Hagar of Crawford county, Mrs. Eliza Green of Linton, Ind., and Clarence who resides at home. R__ Charles Evans, who was well known to many Democrat readers died last November.
Mr. Evans joined the M. E. church early in life and soon after, in 1836, he became a local preacher. His home was used as a place of worship before any church had been erected in the community. It was due, in a great measure , to his efforts that Plymouth church was erected. He has always been a liberal contributor to the church and Sunday School and for a half century he devoted much of his time to preaching, delivering during his time more than three thousand sermons. His [services] were often sought at weddings and he can recall [scores] of couples he made man and wife. He has also officiated at many funerals.
Today Uncle Nixon, as he has been affectionately called by his many friends, stands as a typical representative of the pioneer preacher and citizen. He is nearing the close of a long and active life, and when his summons comes, it can truthfully be said of him 'He has fought a good fight'
Submitted by Sandy Cirullo [dandy1028 A T sbcglobal.net]
Charles M. Fortune
HON. CHARLES MONROE FORTUNE, whose services both as a lawyer and former circuit judge at Terre Haute have made his name familiar throughout the state, is an Indianan whose distinctions have been in every case worthily earned. As a young man he was not unacquainted with hardship and with honest manual toil, and he knows how to appreciate and sympathize with all classes and conditions of men. Judge Fortune was born in Vigo County, Indiana, on a farm, November 25, 1870. His grandfather, Zachariah Fortune, was an early settler in Meigs County, Ohio, where Henry Cole Fortune, father of Judge Fortune, was born in 1831. Henry Cole Fortune married in Mason County, West Virginia, Frances Howell, who was born in that county in 1838. Her father, Nelson Howell, went as a soldier in the Civil war and lost his life in battle. Henry C. Fortune came into the Wabash Valley during the '50s, and while the Civil war was in progress he operated as a contractor a ferry on the Wabash River at Darwin, Illinois. In 1869 he bought a farm of 170 acres in Prairie Creek Township of Vigo County, and subsequently operated another farm which he owned in Clark County, Illinois. He died at his home in Clark County in July, 1883. His widow survived him until February 28, 1907. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom reached maturity and two are now living, DeKalb, a farmer in Prairie Creek Township of Vigo County, and Judge Fortune. Judge Fortune was the youngest of seven sons. He was only twelve years of age when his father died, and that event in the family history caused him to come face to face with the serious responsibilities of life, and he had to do his own thinking and at an early age was earning his own living. At the age of sixteen he left the home farm, where he had acquired most of his schooling, and for two years he worked as a hand in a factory at Terre Haute. Later as a clerk he worked at the watchmaker's trade, and while that gave him employment for his daylight hours he spent the evenings in the study of law. In 1898 he entered the law office of Cox & Davis at Terre Haute, and after three years passed a successful examination before the examining committee of the local bar association. Forthwith he entered upon an active practice in 1901, and for three years was associated with Judge James H. Swango. In November, 1905, Mr. Fortune accepted the democratic nomination for the office of city judge. It was popularly understood that this was only a nominal honor, since Terre Haute was a stronghold of republicanism, and it was with gratified surprise on the part of his friends and party associates and with considerable consternation in the opposite camp that he was elected by a majority of seventy votes. Judge Fortune entered upon his duties as city judge in January, 1906, and served thirty-three months. He resigned to take up his duties as judge of the Vigo Circuit Court, to which he was elected on the democratic ticket by the largest majority ever given a circuit judge in that district. Judge Fortune was on the Circuit bench six years. In that time he handled on the average 1,500 cases every year, and without reviewing his judicial career here it is sufficient to say that among all that great number of decisions which he rendered only five cases were appealed, and there was only one reversal by higher courts. It was Judge Fortune who more than any other individual led the movement in Terre Haute which brought about not only reform in local politics but gave a decided impetus to political reform throughout the nation, when a large group of prominent Terre Haute men were indicted and tried in the Federal Courts. Judge Fortune has long been prominent in local fraternities at Terre Haute, being a member of the Young Men's Institute and Knights of Columbus No. 541, is a member of the Commercial and the Young Men's Business clubs, and in his profession and in his capacity as a private citizen has found many ways to indulge a practical philanthropy in behalf of many worthy persons and causes. Judge Fortune first married, March 18, 1897, Myrtle L. Sparks, who died the same year. She was well known in literary circles in Terre Haute and a number of her verses which were first published in
the old Terre Haute Express were afterward put into book form. In July, 1911, Judge Fortune married Gertrude Maison, a native of Terre Haute and a daughter of A. W. and Caroline (Myer) Maison.
[p. 1609. INDIANA AND INDIANANS, A HISTORY OF ABORIGINAL AND TERRITORIAL INDIANA AND THE CENTURY OF STATEHOOD by JACOB PIATT DUNN]
WILLIS WESLEY GILBERT
Born: May 11th, 1833 in Coshocton County, Ohio
Died: June 3, 1900 in Clark County Illinois.
Parents: Linos Gilbert & Margeret Dunfee
Elder Linos Gilbert was a missionary Baptist Minister and finding no church of his denomination closer than 10 miles, was determined to organize on in the Township (Clark County). In 1852, those interested in the movement met at a school house and effected an organization with the following members: Elder Linos, wife Margerie, Electa (Gilbert) Norris, Sarah (Gilbert) Wright, Marenda (Gilbert) Beabout and husband William Beabout, Willis Gilbert, Eunice Gilbert, Celia McCune.
Soon after this organization, Reverends Fuson, J. Riley, and H. Humphrey met with the society and formally recognized it as a church in regular standing. In 1860 a new log school house was erected about 2 miles N.W. of Auburn, Ill and the little church held its services there until 1872 when frame building 30 x 40 was erected on the National Road (now US 40) 2 miles west of Auburn and 3 miles east of Martinsville, IL at the cost of $1000.00. Said church was known as Bethel. Elder Linos preached there about 15 years without pay until ill health caused him to quit.
Married (1): Ruhama Garie October 17, 1852 in Coshocton County, Ohio Dtr of Samuel & Miriana (Houser) Garie
Married (2): Lucy (McCumber) Stattler, Daughter of William & Mary (Van Ness) McCumber
Willis Wesley Gilbert came to Clark County with his parents in 1851. He returned to Ohio where he was united in marriage to Ruhama. Upon his return with his new bride, he located near Auburn, Il, always residing in Clark County. After the death of Ruhama Feb 14, 1892, Willis Married Mrs. Lucy (McCumber) Stattler. Willis was age 61 and Lucy was 65. They were married in Martinsville, IL on Sept 25, 1893 by W. B. Allen, pastor of the church of God (Clark County Marriage book, page 298, Marshall).
Willis was one of 9 children, 3 of his brothers dying within a year of each other. He is known to have been 5'10", eyes grey, hair black, complexion dark. Willis was a private in the Civil War, being a member of the Co. F, 79th Ill Infantry. He enlisted Aug 1, 1862 at the age of 29 (although his papers in Springfield show him to be 22). He was mustered out June 12, 1865 by Captain Wilson, Nashville, Tennessee. His funeral was at the Auburn Church. The sermon was given by Rev Audles of Martinsville, IL., His body was laid to rest with the solemnly impressive ceremonies of the G. A. R. of which he was a member.
Children of Ruhama and Willis are:
William Marion Gilbert Born January 20, 1863
George Wesley Gilbert Born March 14, 1856
Margaret Rebecca Gilbert born Feb 22, 1859
John Milton Gilbert
Mary Elizabeth Gilbert
Linos A. Gilbert
Ruhama Melissa Gilbert
Rosa E. Gilbert
Charles Edward Gilbert
Contributed by: Darlena McManus
CLARK H. HAMMOND
The venerable pioneer of Clark County, now in his seventy-ninth year, is President of the State Bank of Martinsville, owner of 1,000 acres of the agricultural lands in the county, still bright and active, and, somewhat eccentric, is altogether one of the most remarkable of its characters. As he says, he "has dug all his wealth out of the ground," meaning, not from any mines, but from the surface soil through agricultural processes, and the greatest satisfaction he takes today is not in the performance of any financial or public duties which devolve upon him, but in the homely, every-day work of the farm.
Mr. Hammond was born in Rutland County, Vt., on the 21st of April, 1829, the son of Alanson and Sallie (Tarbell) Hammond, both also natives of the Green Mountain State, the father's day of birth being September 23, 1802, the mother's, February 22, 1804. Alanson Hammond, who was a farmer, .came west in 1837 and entered 300 acres of Government land in what is now Clark County, buying outright, at the same time, the forty acres upon which the old home of Clark H. Hammond still stands. Here the father died, July 7, 1846, having by hardy industry cleared his land of timber, brought from it abundant crops and made a nice homestead of a virgin tract; his wife had preceded him in 1842, the couple being highly honored by their few neighbors of those pioneer days for their worth and faithfulness to the interests of the now country which they had made their home.
Amid such crude surroundings began the eighty-year-old life of Clark H. Hammond, and they just suited his healthy, rugged temperament. He obtained very little education from the uncertain subscription schools which he attended, but was naturally eager to learn of practical things, was always a reader of instructive newspapers and magazines and is now a well informed man. In 1857 he married his cousin, Roxana Hammond, a Vermont woman born May 25, 1834, and the second oldest child of Lyman Clark and Jane E. (Dawley) Hammond, her parents coming to this county when she was three years old, at the same time as her husband's people. Lyman Hammond was a highly respected farmer, well known and fairly prosperous.
Three sons and one daughter were born to Clark and Roxana Hammond: Albert C., who is married and farming in Dolsor Township, this county; George A., a married farmer of Parker Township; Howard F., of Dolsor Township, also married, and Clara A., who makes her home with her parents. Despite his age Mr. Hammond does all the required work around the farm and takes care of his stock. He is rather grey, but altogether a hale, hearty wonderfully preserved old man. His politics, he says, were determined by the circumstance that after his father's death he was reared by a kind man who was a strong Democrat. But although Mr. Hammond is a stanch Democrat himself and has served as Supervisor several terms he would rather farm than legislate. Never a regular church member, he has never gambled. Is temperate and strictly honest and moral, and has held to the faith that his chief concern should be to well order his present life.
Original in his ideas and ways, Mr. Hammond is an especially interesting character when he touches upon the pioneer days of Clark County, when wild game and beasts were familiar and neighbors were not so plentiful. When he first commenced to farm he hauled his produce by wagon to Chicago, his first business venture being in partnership with his brother in 1846, when they bought up several wagon loads of apples, sold them in that market and bartered their fruit for white fish and salt. Their next venture was to take two horses to the muddy city upon which they made the superb profit of twenty-five dollars. They hauled their wheat to Terre Haute, Ind., selling it for fifty cents a bushel; there was no dollar wheat in those days. In 1850 Mr. Hammond, in common with most hardy, ambitious young men who reached their majority, made the ox-team trip across the plains to California, returning by boat, via the Panama Route. The three years which he thus spent in the West cured him of all desire to roam or to engage in any occupation except it had a relation to agriculture. Thus able, from personal experience, to picture the country when It was raw and unformed, he has not only watched with fond and proud eye its development into fertile farms, pretty hamlets and opulent cities, but has the satisfaction in his declining years of knowing that he himself has been an Important factor in this wonderful transformation, and that he has retained the unqualified respect of his associates and friends.
A few notes: The biography says Clark's father was Sampson Hammond, I have changed this to show the correct name, which was Alanson Parker Hammond. Also, His mother was Sally Tarbell, not Sally Berbell as the bio shows.
[Transcriber Larry Wells' note: "Clark Hammond was the father of Albert, who was the father of Oliver Lafayette (Lafe), who was the father of Myla Cecile, my mother."] Webmaster note: Mr. Wells passed away in 2011. He had marked the source of this bio as the 1883 history book, but that was found to be incorrect. The source remains unknown.
VICTOR CORNELIUS MILLER
State's Attorney of Clark County, won reputation and success very soon after his admission to the bar. He is a man of exceptional energy, talented, aggressive, admired for his integrity of character and the honorable course he has taken in all the relationships of a brief career.
Mr. Miller was born at Kempton, Ohio, July 3, 1902. His parents were John W. and Ida M. (Shaffer) Miller. His paternal grand father, W. C. D. Miller, is now eighty-four years of age and still looks after his farming interests. He was born in Ohio and lived at Tippecanoe City in that state. John W. Miller was born in Ohio. As a youth he took up telegraphy and that was his profession and business all his life. His business required his moving about the country a great deal and in 1916 he was transferred to Illinois, and lived at Martinsville. He died October 21, 1928. He always interested himself in the civic and welfare projects of any com munity where he lived. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His wife, Ida M. Shaffer, was born at Bobo, Indiana, and survives him. Her father, Almond Shaffer, was born in Wilshire, Ohio, and was about five years of age when the family moved to Indiana. In Indiana the Shaffers were pioneers, carving their homes from the woods and going through the hard ships of early day life. Almond Shaffer spent his life as a farmer. He died December 21, 1926. The Shaffers came west from Vermont, where they were early settlers. The Miller family came from Pennsylvania and were a mixture of Pennsylvania Dutch and German ancestry.
Victor C. Miller had his first schooling at Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, where he attended four years. He was in the grade and high schools of Pittsburgh and in 1920 graduated from the high school of Martinsville, Illinois. While he had the law in mind, it was a goal somewhat remote and he had to achieve it by earning and paying his way. His first occupation after leaving high school was in the plant of the General Electric Company at Fort Wayne, Indiana. For six months he was at Charleston, studying photography. At Martinsville he opened a gallery and made a splendid success of this business. However, it was only a stepping stone to the law. In 1921 he entered the University of Illinois, and completed six years of work in five years, graduating from the academic department in 1926, with the Bachelor of Science degree, and in 1927 took his law degree. Mr. Miller in February, 1928, was admitted to the Illinois bar. He opened his law office at Marshall in March of the same year and just thirty days later, on April 17, 1928, was appointed state's attorney of Clark County, to fill the place of Everett Connelly, deceased. In November, 1928, he was elected for the full term, which expires in the fall of 1932. As state's attorney he has exhibited a vigor which has won his administration many high commendations.
Mr. Miller while in the State University was a member of the Cadets, was commissioned a second lieutenant and then promoted to major and finally to lieutenant-colonel. He is now a lieutenant in the United States Reserve Corps. He is a member of the Scabbard and Blade honorary military fraternity, the Alpha Alpha Alpha legal pre-fraternity, the Phi Alpha Delta, the Masons and Improved Order of Red Men. He has done considerable speaking in Republican campaigns and is a member of the Church of God at Martinsville.
Mr. Miller married, July 3, 1929, Miss Alice Spotts of Marshall, daughter of Walker S. and Anna (Houk) Spotts. She belongs to an old and respected family of this section of Illinois. Her parents live at Marshall, where her father is in the meat business. Mrs. Miller attended the grammar and high schools of Marshall and the Indiana State Teachers College at Terre Haute. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a popular member of the younger social groups of Marshall. They have one child, Ida Ann, born July 4, 1930. [Source: "ILLINOIS, The Heart of the Nation" by Hon. Edward F. Dunne, Volume IV, 1933 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
Thomas Murphy (1811-1901) was born in Ohio County, W.V., and by 21 years of age had crossed Ohio and part of Indiana to marry Sarah Sutton (1814-1864).
Although he must have retained a clear mind until the advanced age of 90, he seems not to have divulged much information about his family other than that his father's name was also Thomas and his grandfather's was Samuel. It is supposed they were from Protestant Ireland.
Sarah Sutton was born in Butler County, Ohio, and was of the same family as Thomas Hamilton Sutton.
Thomas and Sarah Murphy were married at her home in Rush county, Ind., in 1832. Following her death and in 1866, he bought 120 acres of the estate of her father, David Sutton, at the courthouse for $280. Several of their children lived near him in Pleasant Grove School District, where Larry Murphy, a great, great, great-grandson now lives, a place long owned by Harry Findley. Thomas Murphy's last years were spent on the farm of his daughter, Mary Jane Murphy Miller, and her family. He was a primitive cabinet-maker. The members of the family still cherish some of his work.
Thomas and Sarah Murphy's children were Mary Jane (1838); David (1836-1859); Burns, who was born in 1841 and died the same day; William Riley (1846-1881); twin sons Alonzo (1850-1870) and Alfonzo; Phebe (1856, and Judith A. (1843).
Thomas Murphy is buried in Marshall Cemetery.
Mary Jane Murphy married Graf Miller
William Riley Murphy married Margaret Wright (1848-1904). She was the daughter of Daniel and Mary Weekley Wright and was born in Muskingum County, Ohio. Their children were Thomas Daniel (1868-1926), Edward (1871-1946), and Ella Mae.
Alfonzo Murphy married Mary Daniels. They were the parents of Dora, who married Samuel Umbarger; Bertha and Lucy, who married Ernie Hall. His wife, Mary, in her late years suffered a stroke and a chiropractor came to her home regularly for treatments. Their little house was log covered with boards. Edward Murphy, a nephew, bought and demolished the house. The well on the place reputedly had calomel in it.
Phebe Murphy married William Findley. Their children were Lulu, who married Homer Brosman and ran a cane mill near Auburn; Daisy, who married Louis Stevenson and then a Marjorie Davidson; Roxie, who married a Zimmerly; Virgie, who married an Aldrich; and Thomas, who married Mary Lake. Harry Findley's children were Virginia Faye, who married John Thompson; and Dean, who married Mildred Spittler. Roxie Zimmerly's son was Charles Everett.
Judith A. Murphy married an Ulmer, who had six minor orphaned children when his property was settled in 1899. Her children were Otto, Thomas, Charles, James, Joseph, and Sadie. It is thought the went to Missouri.
["History of Marshall Illinois and Eastern Clark County", 1978, compiled by the The Clark County Democrat, pg.170-1 - Submitted by Carolyn Gilbert ]
Thomas Daniel Murphy
Thomas Daniel Murphy (1868-1926) son of William and Margaret Murphy, married Carrie (Kit) Myers, daughter of James Myers. They were the parents of Russell, Harry, Truman, and Joe.
Russell Murphy (1898-1969) married Ethel Menk. Their children were Donald, who married Alma Jean Tolbert; Margaret, who married Carl Beard; Richard, who married Norma Blockinger; and Ray, who married Faye Smitley. Donald and Alma Jean Murphy had Richard Arnold and Larry Eugene. Richard and Rita Murphy have a daughter Heather. Larry Murphy married Wanda Huston, and their children are Kevin and Denise. Margaret and Carl Beard's daughter, Carolyn, married Stephen K. Shawler, and their children are Eric and Amy Jo. Richard and Norma Murphy's son Edward is deceased.
Harry Murphy (1903-1975) married Mabel Claypool (1904-1975), daughter of George and Clara Claypool. George Thomas Murphy, their son, married Jean Lovett. They are the parents of Thomas, Brian, and Maryann. Thomas Murphy married Elaine Cannady and Jeff, Gail and Carrie are their children.
Truman Murphy (1905-1969) married Opal Kirchner, daughter of John and Reba Clapp Kirchner. They are the parents of William D. and Betty. William D. Murphy married Margaret (Peg) Robinson and they are the parents of Kathryn and Matthew. Betty Murphy married Harold Myers and Michael is their son.
Joe Murphy (1909-1966), the youngest son to live to adulthood, first married Helen Jane Fox, daughter of Emil and Ruth Thomas Fox. They were the parents of Antone Max and Terry. Antone Murphy married Shirley O'Rourke and their children are Debra, Todd and Scott. Terry Murphy married Delores Wilhoit. Their children are Terri Lynn, Timothy, Jean, and Tina. Terry Murphy and son Timothy are deceased.
Joe Murphy's second wife was Gene Strohm. Their children are Beverly, Mike and Joyce. Beverly Murphy married Ronald Washburn and their children are Lori, Troy and Annette. Mike Murphy married Beverly Higginbotham. They have a daughter Melissa.
["History of Marshall Illinois and Eastern Clark County", 1978, compiled by the The Clark County Democrat, pg.170-1 ]
Dr. Septer Patrick
Dr. Septer Patrick was originally from the State of New York. "He practiced medicine on the Wabash, and in this place until his head whitened, enjoying the confidence and respect of his medical brethren and the entire community." He was brusk in his manner even to seeming roughness, yet back of this he was kind hearted and as sympathetic as a child. And though often misunderstood his patients were fully aware that he had their best interests at heart. He was a close observer, and by his knowledge and skill was eminently successful. During the gold excitement, he removed to California with his family, where he died in 1858, at the advanced age of seventy-eight years. [Source: "History of Early Terre Haute", Transcribed by K. L. Ortman]
Judge Scholfield was born in Clark County, Illinois, August 1, 1834, where he has ever since resided. He attended the law school at Louisville, Kentucky, was elected State's Attorney in 1856, a member of the Legislature in 1860 as a Douglas Democrat, a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1870, and a Judge of the Supreme Court in June 1873, which office he has held to the present time. At the end of his present term he will have served on the bench twenty-four years. Two years he has been Chief- Justice.
In Linder's "Early Bench and Bar of Illinois," it is stated that Judge Breese, speaking of Judge Scholfield about ten years before his elevation to the Supreme Bench, said: "He is one of the most promising young lawyers in America. I have had a good opportunity of estimating his ability, and know of no lawyer, old or young, that I can place above him." According to the statements of the daily press at the time, which were doubtless true, he was given an opportunity to refuse an appointment as the successor of Morrison R. Waite, Chief-Justice.
[Source: "The Green Bag", Vol. III, Covering the Year 1891. Transcribed by Kevin L. Ortman]
REV. W. B. ADAMS
Rev. W. B. Adams (deceased), Paris, was among the early settlers of this county, and engaged in farming for a number of years; then removed to Paris and followed contracting and building; Mr. and Mrs. Adams have been intimately connected with the growth and prosperity of the M. E. Church for a number of years, he having been in the work of the ministry as local preacher for some eighteen years; all through his ministerial life, he acted as missionary in supplying destitute neighborhoods with preaching, and was a useful and influential citizen, and spent his time in doing good and raising and educating an intelligent family, which consists of two boys, Allyn and Henry B.. who are now engaged in the grocery business, firm of Adams Bros.; they were born in Clark Co., Ill., but raised in this county, and finished their education at the Edgar Academy; they opened and began in their present business in 1874; they are young men of fine address, pleasant manners and good business ability, and are noted for their energy and enterprise; H. B. has invented a folding plant-stand that, for neatness and convenience, surpasses anything in use, being so constructed as to form one-quarter, one-half or three-quarter circle, convenient for using on the outside corner or inside corner of a bay window; holds from eighteen to twenty-five plants; its practicability is seen at a glance.[Source: "The History of Edgar County, Illinois, Containing a History of the County its Cities, Towns, &c": By William Henry Perrin, 1879 - KT - Sub by FoFG]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails